SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Don't understand this line. Why would rovers fans not celebrate their team scoring simply because the scorer isn't perfect?

Precisely. If Hitler scored for Rovers I'd still be over the moon!

We are so lucky on this forum...... We have lots of folk who know more about football and footballers than an international manager with many years of Premier League experience.

I certainly wouldn't claim to know more than Strachan, but surely his job, what he gets paid for, is to manage the players at his disposal to get the best results possible. Having someone like Rhodes not playing, not just in this game where he perhaps shouldn't have started because the Belgian midfield is strong, but in other games where the Scots midfield would have been able to get more service through to him, cannot be seen as making best use of the resources at your disposal to get the best results possible.

Would you swap Griffiths for Rhodes?

The answer for 99.9% of people is a resounding "No"....

However, and it's something iv mentioned previously. JR is average at best in most aspects of his game play other than goal scoring..including physically where is is neither strong or quick.

So as a manager, if you are expecting not to have the ball very much and need your striker to hold the ball up and be a physical presence then you wouldn't play Rhodes.

The previous manager also overlooked him on many occasions and I think this is why...

For what it's worth I believe thatJR would be prolific at any level in a team from the top four or five or even a Swansea, Everton or Liverpool who control possession.

We are so lucky on this forum...... We have lots of folk who know more about football and footballers than an international manager with many years of Premier League experience.

I'm sure you'd be of exactly the same mind if it was the current Championship manager of the month Paul Ince who wasn't playing him!

However, and it's something iv mentioned previously. JR is average at best in most aspects of his game play other than goal scoring..including physically where is is neither strong or quick.

So as a manager, if you are expecting not to have the ball very much and need your striker to hold the ball up and be a physical presence then you wouldn't play Rhodes.

The previous manager also overlooked him on many occasions and I think this is why...

For what it's worth I believe thatJR would be prolific at any level in a team from the top four or five or even a Swansea, Everton or Liverpool who control possession.

Don't know if you have seen Griffiths but he's not exactly a physical presence either, but to be fair to him his goal scoring record is very similar to Rhodes'.

Don't know if you have seen Griffiths but he's not exactly a physical presence either, but to be fair to him his goal scoring record is very similar to Rhodes'.

He's reasonably quick though. Not as good a player as Jordan but a much better outball.

have you ever see Leigh Griffiths play? He isn't the type of player who hold the ball up really. very similar type of player to Rhodes. similar type of pace and work rate.

When you play Rhodes you know what type of striker he is and you either play to his strengths and set the team up to get the best out of him like Bowyer has done. He will score goals for fun if he gets the right type of service. or you don't play him.

TBH, couldn't given a toss whether he plays for Scotland or not. as long as he's playing for Rovers and scoring the goals to get us challenging for promotion.

Who cares what he does for Scotland?

For Rovers, the less he plays in meaningless games for them (ie they're never going to even come close to qualifying for a tournament), the less chance of him getting injured.

If there was a Prem club which would suit him it would be Arsenal. They create loads of JR type chances. However thats pie in the sky for JR and his agent.

fair play stuart. ^_^

btw just read this and Strachan confirms the opinions of the less blinkered on here. Lest we forget Strachan has amanged at the top for many years.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/gordon-strachan-struggles-to-find-rhodes-role-1-3081905

Dont get me wrong Bowyer has set up the team to supply JR fantastically well and the last two matches have seen that bear fruit but just supposing we get promoted to the Prem. We will occupy a position in the bottom thirdand the first person out the door needs to be JR.

Blimey.

The better Rhodes performs and the more goals he scores the more virulent your criticism of Rhodes appears to be becoming Gordon.

If GB manages to set the team up well enough with Rhodes to win us promotion there's a strong possibility that he would be able to score enough goals in that type of set up to ensure Premiership survival and a bottom third berth. It would be madness to sacrifice him for a lump that can't score but holds the ball up.

Blimey.

The better Rhodes performs and the more goals he scores the more virulent your criticism of Rhodes appears to be becoming Gordon.

If GB manages to set the team up well enough with Rhodes to win us promotion there's a strong possibility that he would be able to score enough goals in that type of set up to ensure Premiership survival and a bottom third berth. It would be madness to sacrifice him for a lump that can't score but holds the ball up.

You ever heard the term 'promotion to incomptence' Simon? ^_^

Going over old ground here but I'll never call JR's finishing ability cos it is exemplary but the rest of the time he may as well be sat next to me in the stand... and that isn't enough in the Prem. He is certainly no Ian Rush thats for sure.

Incidentally, apart from Celtic I wouldn't say Strachan's managerial record is that impressive.

Recently, with Scotland P6 W2 D 0 L4.

Before that with Boro P46 W13 D13 L20.

Historically going back some time at Coventry P125 W70 D56 L89 and at Southampton P110 W39 D32 L39.

If he's not good enough for the PL, what do we care at the moment?

I thought the argument was that he only contributes to the team with lots of goals so sell him and get some cheaper players in who will do and the goals will spread out amongst the team and we'll play better football/concede less goals.

• Backroom

TBH, couldn't given a toss whether he plays for Scotland or not. as long as he's playing for Rovers and scoring the goals to get us challenging for promotion.

Not a more truthful sentence in the whole thread Chadster B)

Archived