BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Day, Rovers v Weds, 26th December 2013

I'm afraid that Bowyer is clueless. I would love to sit down with him and ask him to talk me through some of his bizarre decisions, team selections and tactics:

1. Repeatedly (and stubbornly) picking a player who is incapable of passing forward/further than 5 yards (i.e. Lowe).
  2. Repeatedly sticking our best footballer and most creative player (i.e. Cairney) on the right wing.
  3. Repeatedly putting two "defensive" (which is a euphemism for lacking any sort of talent) players in central midfield (which is even more unforgiveable when we are playing at home against teams in the lower half of the league).
  4. Failing to make the most of us having the best finisher in the league (by failing to create any chances/get crosses into the box and instead launching the ball to him from 50 yards leaving him to battle out an uneven aerial challenge with one of the opposition's massive centre-halves).
  5. Bringing every single player back into our own area when we are defending corners/free-kicks (meaning that if/when we clear the ball, it inevitably just comes back again).
  6. Playing a 6' 4" target man today in a withdrawn role "in the hole" role leaving Rhodes to challenge for most headers (and then chase his own knock-downs).

Any wins we get will be in spite of, rather than because of, our manager. He is massively out of his depth and hasn't got a clue how to break down an opponent or get the most out of his squad.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst today is a crappy result there have already been some typically overboard posts. Our home form has been excellent this season so far, and in comparison to previous seasons this is a welcome relief.

Sorry DE but our home games have been middling to dreadful. Thank goodness the quality of the opposition in the Championship is equally poor.

I can understand Paul's sentiment. Despite the good work Bowyer has achieved thus far in stablizing things on the pitch, we're lacking the consistency to get into the playoffs, and that's his responsibility. At times he's from the Appleton school of thought and would rather not lose than dare to win, and doesn't appear to have the nous to change a game. On the other hand, I still think there's an outside chance of promotion, and no one else Venky's could hire, based on the empirical evidence to date, would improve things substantially. Quite the opposite, in fact.

• Backroom

Sorry DE but our home games have been middling to dreadful. Thank goodness the quality of the opposition in the Championship is equally poor.

Won 6, Drawn 3, Lost 2. That's the bottom line and it's pretty good. Sort out our away form and we're playoff bound.

Neither do I, but it is a problem that if he doesn't score then we're 50% less likely to score. A solution needs to be found somewhere.

Rochina not starting, when available.

To me it's the equivalant of not playing Noel Brotherston, back in the 70s/80s, a player who not only lifted the team, but the whole stadium.

IMO if Rhodes and Rochina started 10 games together, they would begin to forge a formidable partnership, which would be feared in this league,

of course others will think differently !

• Backroom

To me it's the equivalant of not playing Noel Brotherston, back in the 70s/80s, a player who not only lifted the team, but the whole stadium.

IMO if Rhodes and Rochina started 10 games together, they would start to forge a formidable partnership, which would be feared in this league,

We basically need another player who scores semi-regularly and who can create chances for others to contribute. If Dunny was fit he could be that person but unfortunately he only gets cameo appearances these days. I'm not convinced Ruben is the answer, but he can't be any worse than Gestede or Judge who have also been put into that position to no effect.

• Backroom

Do you think, playing as we are, that if we were to make the play-offs, we'd go up?

We need far better quality in the team to go up as far as I'm concerned. We could sneak 6th if our away form was sorted out but I wouldn't be optimistic about our chances.

I'm afraid that Bowyer is clueless. I would love to sit down with him and ask him to talk me through some of his bizarre decisions, team selections and tactics:

• Repeatedly (and stubbornly) picking a player who is incapable of passing forward/further than 5 yards (i.e. Lowe).
  • Repeatedly sticking our best footballer and most creative player (i.e. Cairney) on the right wing.
  • Repeatedly putting two "defensive" (which is a euphemism for lacking any sort of talent) players in central midfield (which is even more unforgiveable when we are playing at home against teams in the lower half of the league).
  • Failing to make the most of us having the best finisher in the league (by failing to create any chances/get crosses into the box and instead launching the ball to him from 50 yards leaving him to battle out an uneven aerial challenge with one of the opposition's massive centre-halves).
  • Bringing every single player back into our own area when we are defending corners/free-kicks (meaning that if/when we clear the ball, it inevitably just comes back again).
  • Playing a 6' 4" target man today in a withdrawn role "in the hole" role leaving Rhodes to challenge for most headers (and then chase his own knock-downs).

Any wins we get will be in spite of, rather than because of, our manager. He is massively out of his depth and hasn't got a clue how to break down an opponent or get the most out of his squad.

I think your six questions are very pertinent indeed.

1. Repeatedly (and stubbornly) picking a player who is incapable of passing forward/further than 5 yards (i.e. Lowe).
  2. Repeatedly sticking our best footballer and most creative player (i.e. Cairney) on the right wing.
  3. Repeatedly putting two "defensive" (which is a euphemism for lacking any sort of talent) players in central midfield (which is even more unforgiveable when we are playing at home against teams in the lower half of the league).
  4. Failing to make the most of us having the best finisher in the league (by failing to create any chances/get crosses into the box and instead launching the ball to him from 50 yards leaving him to battle out an uneven aerial challenge with one of the opposition's massive centre-halves).
  5. Bringing every single player back into our own area when we are defending corners/free-kicks (meaning that if/when we clear the ball, it inevitably just comes back again).
  6. Playing a 6' 4" target man today in a withdrawn role "in the hole" role leaving Rhodes to challenge for most headers (and then chase his own knock-downs).

Careful, Shebby will be faxing this over to Madame D along with an updated CV of Judan Ali.

Won 6, Drawn 3, Lost 2. That's the bottom line and it's pretty good. Sort out our away form and we're playoff bound.

Well said. Facts speak for themselves. Bad result today but let's not lose perspective. Think of his many clean sheets we've kept at home as well. Two consecutive clean sheets away from home. 7 points out of 9 over the Xmas period. 3/4 points off the play offs. It's not all bad.

Do you think, playing as we are, that if we were to make the play-offs, we'd go up?

Silly question. Anything can happen in the play offs. Who'd have thought palace would have won the play offs last year?! It's a lottery.

Careful, Shebby will be faxing this over to Madame D along with an updated CV of Judan Ali.

Exactly. Then again maybe Majiball and JAL fancy the gig? Probably more experience than Singh and Ali in all fairness - which'll rule them out.

IMO if Rhodes and Rochina started 10 games together, they would begin to forge a formidable partnership, which would be feared in this league,

Anyone would think Rochina is Messi by the way people talk about him on here. He's a skilful player but he's not a team player. He likes to showboat and shows the odd flash of quality but he's too wasteful and a luxury player.

We basically need another player who scores semi-regularly and who can create chances for others to contribute. If Dunny was fit he could be that person but unfortunately he only gets cameo appearances these days. I'm not convinced Ruben is the answer, but he can't be any worse than Gestede or Judge who have also been put into that position to no effect.

I think Dunny has more talent than 99% of the players in this league, unfortunately his fitness/availability will always be the problem as we all know.

Rochina needs to be given a run in the team, let's not forget, at home, we are pretty solid, unlike when he was available last season, I don't think

GB would be risking too much by giving him an extended run in the team. plenty of solid, hardworking players to cover for his shortcomings.

I think Dunny has more talent than 99% of the players in this league, unfortunately his fitness/availability will always be the problem as we all know.

Rochina needs to be given a run in the team, let's not forget, at home, we are pretty solid, unlike when he was available last season, I don't think

GB would be risking too much by giving him an extended run in the team. plenty of solid, hardworking players to cover for his shortcomings.

some would say that reduces it to 9 contributing

Anyone would think Rochina is Messi by the way people talk about him on here. He's a skilful player but he's not a team player. He likes to showboat and shows the odd flash of quality but he's too wasteful and a luxury player.

We are in the 2nd division though, not much quality here !

The home fans might like to see a bit.

Bowyer is clueless?! Disagree entirely. Best home form for years, most solid we've been for years, bought some talented youngsters, played some decent football at times, first team we've kept consecutive clean sheets away from home for first time in years, and on the brink of the play offs which is remarkable for a club on the verge of relegation to league one last season.

Tactically he does make mistakes and is not perfect. I agree with the 6 points you make.

Bowyer is clueless?! Disagree entirely. Best home form for years, most solid we've been for years, bought some talented youngsters, played some decent football at times, first team we've kept consecutive clean sheets away from home for first time in years, and on the brink of the play offs which is remarkable for a club on the verge of relegation to league one last season.

Tactically he does make mistakes and is not perfect. I agree with the 6 points you make.

So why on earth did he sign Gestede ?

Decent football? Must be missing that.

Remarkable? Hardly, as Bowyer was allowed to cast aside the core of under performers and bring in his own players, he has also had the fans behind him, there hasn't been manager changes and he does have players like Rhodes, Dann and Hanley to build around.

Silly question. Anything can happen in the play offs. Who'd have thought palace would have won the play offs last year?! It's a lottery.

Stupid response. the more tickets you buy the greater you're chances of winning the lottery. Holloway has done it before and had Zaha flying at the right time. You make think it's just down to chance but as always you can both maximise and minimise those chances.

If he had some balls we could be 1 point of the play-offs. He could have gone to india in the play-offs and then he can ask for more funds and point at the table.

Alternatively, we may have given up a goal in our desperation to score.

Sometimes a manager can get most things right but still not be able to get the win. This may well have been one of those days. All in all, I think Bowyer keeps his head under pressure and doesn't go wild chasing a win when a draw will get us in striking distance.

We aren't desperate yet and a steady hand will get us there. I think Bowyer is a very steady hand, based on all of his home games, not just this one. And I think we're seeing improvement away.

So stay calm and carry on.

8 points out of 12, 3 clean sheets out of 4, and 3 points off the play offs. Disappointing result today but we're in a decent position. Let's not be too downhearted.

Everyone can beat everyone in this league so I don't see any game as being a `banker`. Every game is tough in this league and I thought today would be a tough game as they'd put 10 men behind the ball. That's the way it proved and that's why this league is so unpredictable.

Exactly. Well said.

Seems like the description of us being an average side after the Yeovil game was correct after all.

The mid table position confirms what we are abou

Bowyer has tightened us up no doubt and it needed to be done.

The quality required to maximise Rhodes is currently not there, except maybe intermittently, with Dunny when fitness allows.

Gestede was never the answer. My Cardiff mates told me that at the time when we took him on loan.

Gary that is the missing link but we need more quality than that if we ever hope to challenge this season.

We will not be challenging , whilst the Venkys are with us ..if they were really serious about promotion,a proper manager would be employed...Bowyer nice fella , keeplng us nicely in mid table...

We are in this position because of the Venkys it is all self inflicted !

Archived