BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Day, Rovers v Weds, 26th December 2013

Bowyer got it badly wrong today in my opinion.

I was happy to see Gastede get a run out thinking that he would be playing as a target man, however was bemused as to why he was playing in the "false number 9" position, consequently Rhodes was in his familiar position of having to deal with long balls which is deffo not the best part of his game. We started the second half fairly well, but then the negative substitution of Gestede for Williamson meant that effectively we had bought on a DM for a striker and pushed our most creative player (Cairney) out wide where he is very ineffective. We then preceded to pump long balls upto Rhodes which again is not working to his strengths and the Sheff Weds defenders dealt with quite easily.

I still believe that in the current circumstances Bowyer is the best man for the job, but today in my opinion was not his finest day. Sometimes he has to risk losing to win games but it seemed to me that 15 minutes into the second half he was happy to tighten things up and accept the point. We were playing the third worst side in the league so he needed to be a bit courageous.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After taking some time to reflect on the point I was surprised at the surprising stat that in 10 games we have only lost 2, won 4, and drawn 4. Yes we are getting too many draw, but on the larger scales of things we are still 1 point closer to the play off, Birmingham game could see us put even more pressure on the top six. The performance and result may not have been what we all wanted over the Xmas cheer, but in the grand scheme of things 10th in the league after 3 years of damage is remarkable.

I mean I was just speaking to my brother the other day about the teams we went down with Wolves and Bolton. In my mind it is absolutely insane that out of the 3 clubs who we went down with that we are the one performing the best out of all of them. Bolton and Wolves were far more stable than us, and had better managers yet some how we are out performing them. I still maintain we will get better as the season goes on, but we do need to sell the 10 deadwood players we have and re-invest in around 3 to 4 more quality players.

Problem fans forget where we came from and how quickly things can change. They seem to sweep the past underneath the carpet without realising the absolute colossal work that has been in such a short space of time on the field. Make no mistake about it Blackburn Rovers is still an accident waiting to happen. At least remember that at this current moment we have people who care about this club, people who genuinely want the best for it. We haven't had that for 3 years. Beggars can't be choosers, and therefore must take the little positives that we have left at this club, and build on them.

Overall almost halfway through this season I am delighted of how far we have come, and against Birmingham I would take a bit of a punt as I see it as a must win game.

Have

Eastwood

Henley
Dann
Hanley
Spurr

Lowe
Cairney
Dunn

Marshall
Rhodes
Rochina

I was happy to see Gastede get a run out thinking that he would be playing as a target man, however was bemused as to why he was playing in the "false number 9" position, consequently Rhodes was in his familiar position of having to deal with long balls which is deffo not the best part of his game. We started the second half fairly well, but then the negative substitution of Gestede for Williamson meant that effectively we had bought on a DM for a striker and pushed our most creative player (Cairney) out wide where he is very ineffective. We then preceded to pump long balls upto Rhodes which again is not working to his strengths and the Sheff Weds defenders dealt with quite easily.

I still believe that in the current circumstances Bowyer is the best man for the job, but today in my opinion was not his finest day. Sometimes he has to risk losing to win games but it seemed to me that 15 minutes into the second half he was happy to tighten things up and accept the point. We were playing the third worst side in the league so he needed to be a bit courageous.

Again, very much how I saw it too, Kamy.

After taking some time to reflect on the point I was surprised at the surprising stat that in 10 games we have only lost 2, won 4, and drawn 4. Yes we are getting too many draw, but on the larger scales of things we are still 1 point closer to the play off, Birmingham game could see us put even more pressure on the top six. The performance and result may not have been what we all wanted over the Xmas cheer, but in the grand scheme of things 10th in the league after 3 years of damage is remarkable. [/size]I mean I was just speaking to my brother the other day about the teams we went down with Wolves and Bolton. In my mind it is absolutely insane that out of the 3 clubs who we went down with that we are the one performing the best out of all of them. Bolton and Wolves were far more stable than us, and had better managers yet some how we are out performing them. I still maintain we will get better as the season goes on, but we do need to sell the 10 deadwood players we have and re-invest in around 3 to 4 more quality players. [/size]

Problem fans forget where we came from and how quickly things can change. They seem to sweep the past underneath the carpet without realising the absolute colossal work that has been in such a short space of time on the field. Make no mistake about it Blackburn Rovers is still an accident waiting to happen. At least remember that at this current moment we have people who care about this club, people who genuinely want the best for it. We haven't had that for 3 years. Beggars can't be choosers, and therefore must take the little positives that we have left at this club, and build on them. Overall almost halfway through this season I am delighted of how far we have come, and against Birmingham I would take a bit of a punt as I see it as a must win game. [/size]Have [/size]Eastwood [/size]Henley [/size]Dann [/size]Hanley [/size]Spurr [/size]Lowe [/size]Cairney [/size]Dunn [/size]Marshall [/size]Rhodes [/size]Rochina

[/size]

I genuinely don't understand this sentiment. Why wasn't today a must win game but Brum is? Why won't 0-0 against Birmingham (18th) be as good as, or better than 0-0 against Weds (22nd)?

I genuinely don't understand this sentiment. Why wasn't today a must win game but Brum is? Why won't 0-0 against Birmingham (18th) be as good as, or better than 0-0 against Weds (22nd)?

every game is a must win, otherwise why bother to turn up

Our best formation 4-3-3 at home would destroy most teams. Tons of creativity from Rochina and Dunn and solid midfeld play from Cairney and defensive hard work from Evans and Lowe.

Eastwood

Henley, Dann, Hanley, Spurr

Cairney, Lowe, Evans

Rochina, Rhodes, Dunn

The difference is expecting a team to win for games in a row after the turmoil, the constant change in squads, and the lack of stability was always going to be a tough task. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a bad result. Yes Bowyer got it wrong today all managers do, but looking at the big picture doesn't hurt your eyes. 10 games 4 wins, 4 draws, 2 defeats. Taking 7 points from 10, and have an easy run of games. Blackburn are a team from my memory that has always always always struggled against teams who are battling for relegation. I expected a win against Sheff Wednesday, but am I surprised at a draw? Hell no. People seem to forget we have still been able to close the gap of down to the play from 4 to 3 points now. No matter what results went in our favour today, and our form has been decent. The Brum game I mentioned as a must win, as it has become that due to the draw today.

Not surprised to read the tales of woe on here - seems to be par for the course. IMO it was an uninspiring performance - in a game where a draw was a fair result.

Again surprised to see some people question Lowe - try watching Williamson try and get back and defend and get caught out for pace time and time again - and you can easily see what Lowe brings to the team. At times Lowe holds together the midfield - as IMO Cairney is apt to get stranded in midfield at times when he doesn't have the ball (IMO just a sign of his youth - which he will doubtless sort with time).

For those that doubt Bowyer - think back twelve months and this is a match we would probably have lost 1-0. Also - in their last four matches Weds beat Watford away and Leicester at home - granted they were recently beaten at home by Bournemouth - but no team in this league can be taken for granted.

We continue to progress - Dunn may or may not have helped today - but Evans definitely would - hopefully he will be the catalyst to turn these draws into wins.

One last thing - even though our overall play was average at best - we still managed to create a number of chances for Rhodes - despite what Dside-17 claims when criticising Bowyer.

Sometimes you just need to take a look at the players in the (very unbalanced) squad and admit they are at best average for this league.

You can drop the suspension, drill a hole in the exhaust, put a spoiler on and put a sporty sticker in the back window but it's still a '99 Peugeot 106 1.1 at the end of the day.

Alas for the dogs from the slums, the game is almost up and the only option is a massive injection of cash from them in the summer. I cannot see why they would want to do this, unless they are making £millions on betting with bookmakers who are banned in their own country.

Things are not that bad at the moment but will get much worse in the months ahead.

• Backroom

Problem fans forget where we came from and how quickly things can change. They seem to sweep the past underneath the carpet without realising the absolute colossal work that has been in such a short space of time on the field. Make no mistake about it Blackburn Rovers is still an accident waiting to happen. At least remember that at this current moment we have people who care about this club, people who genuinely want the best for it. We haven't had that for 3 years. Beggars can't be choosers, and therefore must take the little positives that we have left at this club, and build on them.

Certain posters really do need to read this carefully, it's absolutely spot on. It's amazing we didn't do a Wolves last season (we nearly did though) and yet this season people seem to be expecting playoffs at a canter. Advocating Bowyer's departure or calling him clueless, etc is not only ridiculous but disgusting IMO.

That being said, Bowyer definitely didn't get it right today. What some seem to be forgetting is that he's a rookie manager, he's going to make these errors. He's learning on the spot and doing one hell of a job in the circumstances. Think McLeish, Coyle, or any of the other assorted chancers out of work would have us achieving more? Please. The ONLY person who may do a better job under the circumstances and who could theoretically come to the club is Holloway, and it's far from certain he'd emulate the stability Bowyer has brought to the club or the results. Plus after his last disaster interview with Shebby I'm not convinced he'd come anywhere near us anyway.

I too have been bemused this season why we persist in bringing everyone back for defensive set pieces. Against Yeovil last week Dunn was the furthest forward, and that was at the edge of our area! Why not stick our fastest player up there (King) and give them somethig to worry about and us an outlet. Schoolboy stuff.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287919/reaction?

I've been one of Bowyers BIGGEST supporters but today I'm utterly miffed off. What is he talking about here? Garbage. We should accept a point against an awful Wednesday side and a golden opportunity of a playoff push as acceptable? He says this is a vital point but the 2 dropped will be more vital and he knows it. Absolute negative rubbish. I've never booed anyone but Steve Ke*n but I could understand those that did today. Compared to the money spent by other teams above us, we're underachieving and although I appreciate the stability he's brought, he cant hide behind that forever.

So many things bewildered me today... Why change a winning formation? Why move Cairney our most most talented passer out wide and leave Lowe in midfield? Why not leave Cairney in the middle and sub Lowe for Rochina? Why not bring Rochina on earlier? Why not start Rochina like for like for Dunn? Why send Dann up for corners when Hanley is twice the header of a ball? Why take a centre forward off of for a holding midfielder?

I'm one of those who has called for 2 forwards when goals have been hard to come by but you don't change formation on winning run. Ever. I want Bowyer to do well, he's admirable & deserving but the playing down of our potential and safety of his managerial style is wearing thin on me.

Bowyer seems to be a cautious type and that is reflected in his selections and tactics. Like Souness when we were in the top division perhaps he sees his role as making sure we avoid relegation first and foremost.

He must realise now however that it would take a dramatic dip in form for us to slip into the relegation mire and that we are likely to end up mid-table at worst. He needs therefore to be more positive and show far more attacking intent than hitherto if we are to make the play-offs - which is still entirely possible given a bit of luck and a fair wind.

Come on Gary. Go for it. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Bowyer seems to be a cautious type and that is reflected in his selections and tactics. Like Souness when we were in the top division perhaps he sees his role as making sure we avoid relegation first and foremost.

He must realise now however that it would take a dramatic dip in form for us to slip into the relegation mire and that we are likely to end up mid-table at worst. He needs therefore to be more positive and show far more attacking intent than hitherto if we are to make the play-offs - which is still entirely possible given a bit of luck and a fair wind.

Come on Gary. Go for it. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Unless, of course, the( unpublished) aim is to get far enough above the relegation zone to be able to withstand the docking of 10 points around March?

I've been one of Bowyers BIGGEST supporters but today I'm utterly miffed off. What is he talking about here? Garbage. We should accept a point against an awful Wednesday side and a golden opportunity of a playoff push as acceptable? He says this is a vital point but the 2 dropped will be more vital and he knows it. Absolute negative rubbish. I've never booed anyone but Steve Ke*n but I could understand those that did today. Compared to the money spent by other teams above us, we're underachieving and although I appreciate the stability he's brought, he cant hide behind that forever.

So many things bewildered me today... Why change a winning formation? Why move Cairney our most most talented passer out wide and leave Lowe in midfield? Why not leave Cairney in the middle and sub Lowe for Rochina? Why not bring Rochina on earlier? Why not start Rochina like for like for Dunn? Why send Dann up for corners when Hanley is twice the header of a ball? Why take a centre forward off of for a holding midfielder?

I'm one of those who has called for 2 forwards when goals have been hard to come by but you don't change formation on winning run. Ever. I want Bowyer to do well, he's admirable & deserving but the playing down of our potential and safety of his managerial style is wearing thin on me.

I think he is just frightened to death of losing, if he had lost today, that would have put more pressure on the B/ham game, lose that and he's worried about his job.

Pune visit coming soon.

Imagine having to call someone madam !

So many of our problems would be solved if we had a man with the ability to hold and create with the ball by a process of desperation we may feel Cairney is the answer to this but is he really? We moan and bitch left, right and centre about Dann and Hanleys distribution but how good would have Nelsons and Sambas been if Tugay didn't take the ball of them 4-5 yards away. Cairney very rarely (when playing centrally) does this.

We played (generally) two up today and like last season with Best it was car crash viewing. Is that Rhodes or just the ability of others I don't know but I've yet to see Rhodes play well with a partner. I'm not hammering our only shinning light but playing as a partnership has never really proved fruitful in his time with us.

My next point moves onto the ever derided Jason Lowe before I get labelled as an abuser I 110% respect what Jason does/is. If the manager chooses that he is our shinning light in midfield he has to respect his biggest limitation ACTUALLY HAVING POSSESSION. Lowe can never ever play with just a man next to him, he needs to always have at least 2 forward options for every time he holds the ball just take the ball off him and not make him go backwards.

So many of our problems would be solved if we had a man with the ability to hold and create with the ball by a process of desperation we may feel Cairney is the answer to this but is he really? We moan and bitch left, right and centre about Dann and Hanleys distribution but how good would have Nelsons and Sambas been if Tugay didn't take the ball of them 4-5 yards away. Cairney very rarely (when playing centrally) does this.

We played (generally) two up today and like last season with Best it was car crash viewing. Is that Rhodes or just the ability of others I don't know but I've yet to see Rhodes play well with a partner. I'm not hammering our only shinning light but playing as a partnership has never really proved fruitful in his time with us.

My next point moves onto the ever derided Jason Lowe before I get labelled as an abuser I 110% respect what Jason does/is. If the manager chooses that he is our shinning light in midfield he has to respect his biggest limitation ACTUALLY HAVING POSSESSION. Lowe can never ever play with just a man next to him, he needs to always have at least 2 forward options for every time he holds the ball just take the ball off him and not make him go backwards.

I admit to having not seen much of Lowe recently, but certain posters were continually assuring me that he had improved this season,

sorry to say it, but from what I have read and heard, over the last couple of weeks, this does not seem to be the case.

Just proves my point that he would be more at home in a lower league as per my original thoughts on the lad's ability.

All this about needing this ' type of player ' or ' that type of player ' along side him is rubbish ! he should not have to rely on other players.

If we want to be in the top 6, Jason Lowe is not the answer, the sooner GB realises this the better, graft will only mask your abilities

for a short time, eventually he, and Bowyer will be found out.

Unless of course, Bowyer learns by his mistakes !

I hope he does, because I don't have any confidence in the Rao's, to appoint anyone remotely suitable as a replacement.

I agree that today was frustrating, as imo Wednesday were there for the taking, but some of the overreaction on here is unbelievable.

The truth is that without Dunn we are very ordinary team and yet today we still managed to create a number of decent chances in both halves (Rhodes x2, Marshall, Gestede, King, Cairney) - take just one of those and the mood on here (and match reports) would be very different.

That's not to say that Bowyer didn't make mistakes - I'm not sure what Gestede brings to the team, I can only assume that he was there to help combat Wednesdays height advantage, and the Williamson sub didn't work out, but I think the idea was to try and get Cairney playing higher up the pitch.

I believe it's a good sign that we're disappointed when we draw at home - as someone said last season we would have lost that game last year - and it's a credit to the job that Bowyer has done that our expectations are beginning to rise and we're seriously eyeing the play-offs.

Anyway - the reason I came on (and apologies if I've missed it) - does anyone know what the injury to Taylor was/how long he's likely to be out? It didn't look good when he was taken off, but Bowyer/radio rovers didn't mention it after the game.

I think he is just frightened to death of losing, if he had lost today, that would have put more pressure on the B/ham game, lose that and he's worried about his job. Pune visit coming soon. Imagine having to call someone madam !

Fair point. The frustrating thing is that when we brought williamson on for gestede - the effect of 2 defensive midfielders who can't run with, or distribute the ball effectively, was that we were anchored deeper in our half - inviting wednesday onto us and making us more likely to concede. Towards the end lowe and williamson were probably 3 metres in front of dann and hanley. When we won the ball back it was a long punt to rhodes who had no chance.

Some have criticised gestede - I thought he did ok for a first start. He created a couple of good opportunities for rhodes and his strength created a one on one. If they get used to playing together they could do well.

I am a bit disappointed in bowyer's tactics today and his reaction to the crowd's frustrations. I didn't boo, but if I had it would have been aimed at the poor substitutions which I think made sure we didn't get 3 points, not because I don't value 1 point. Talking to the media about being bemused at fan's reactions was poor as he must know the media love a negative rovers story - but I suppose it's easier than looking at what he could have done differently. I back bowyer, but he was poor today

Fair point. The frustrating thing is that when we brought williamson on for gestede - the effect of 2 defensive midfielders who can't run with, or distribute the ball effectively, was that we were anchored deeper in our half - inviting wednesday onto us and making us more likely to concede. Towards the end lowe and williamson were probably 3 metres in front of dann and hanley. When we won the ball back it was a long punt to rhodes who had no chance.

Some have criticised gestede - I thought he did ok for a first start. He created a couple of good opportunities for rhodes and his strength created a one on one. If they get used to playing together they could do well.

I am a bit disappointed in bowyer's tactics today and his reaction to the crowd's frustrations. I didn't boo, but if I had it would have been aimed at the poor substitutions which I think made sure we didn't get 3 points, not because I don't value 1 point. Talking to the media about being bemused at fan's reactions was poor as he must know the media love a negative rovers story - but I suppose it's easier than looking at what he could have done differently. I back bowyer, but he was poor today

I can appreciate your post, I think Bowyer is a 'decent man' under severe pressure, he certainly made a mistake criticising the fans,

this shows his inexperience.

He should look at himself first, and ask ' why were'nt the fans happy ? '

And he might see that people expect us to be a little more dominant in a home game, I've seen us win, lose or draw against some very good

teams at Ewood, but we usually gave them all ' a run for their money' at least for a period of the game, I'm not hearing much about us putting

many teams under any kind of intense pressure these days.

'Look at yourself Mr Manager! after all, that's what you're paid for, and well paid at that '

I think he is just frightened to death of losing, if he had lost today, that would have put more pressure on the B/ham game, lose that and he's worried about his job.

Pune visit coming soon.

Imagine having to call someone madam !

He may be frightening of losing but out of yesterday and Sunday surely yesterday was the more winnable. If that is his rationale then he has heaped even more pressure on him and the team for Sunday. He should be looking to win ALL the home games.

I can understand Bowyers frustration - people already seem to expect wins - which in this division just isn't possible. Looking at Weds recent record - this was never a definite three points that many expected. Possibly some people need to actually think before they react - a bit like the howls of anger directed at the referee when the Weds player passed the ball back with his knee.

For each of your points - "why change a winning formation" - horses for courses - Wednesday were a huge team and possibly he felt he needed the extra height ? Personally I would have started with Rochina - but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

"Why move Cairney out wide" - personally I think it was because he felt we were losing the midfield (which we were) - putting him out wide in theory gives him more freedom.

"Why not bring on Rochina earlier" - he decided to push Marshall into that role - I presume because he felt Marshall would help stiffen up the midfield more than Rochina. Again - I agree I would personally have brought on Rochina sooner - but in truth he had little impact when he came on anyway.

"Why send up Dann for corners" - usually we send both up - but in this case I think it was because we were playing the land of the giants - any balls cleared up to their monster no 34 would have been difficult for Henley to handle whereas Hanley (my MOM) did a good job against a far taller opponent.

"Why take off a centre forward for a midfield player" - we were losing the battle in midfield - we actually reverted to the formation you wanted us to start with (Marshall in the Dunn role) - so surprised you complaied about this.

Rochina not starting, when available.

To me it's the equivalant of not playing Noel Brotherston, back in the 70s/80s, a player who not only lifted the team, but the whole stadium.

IMO if Rhodes and Rochina started 10 games together, they would begin to forge a formidable partnership, which would be feared in this league,

of course others will think differently !

Spot on about the analogy with Brotherston. Noel was about as frustrating as they got at times, but when he was on song, what a player. He made the stadium buzz and our song for him being the king of Ewood Park, will never be forgotten.

Rochina definitely has the class, especially in this league to be a second ahead of everyone and given a proper run in the side, will make a difference. In my opinion, we need to give him a free role and let him know that he will be getting a few games and therefore remove the fear factor. I doubt that will happen and only see him going in the January window.

I can understand Bowyers frustration - people already seem to expect wins - which in this division just isn't possible. Looking at Weds recent record - this was never a definite three points that many expected. Possibly some people need to actually think before they react - a bit like the howls of anger directed at the referee when the Weds player passed the ball back with his knee.

"Why take off a centre forward for a midfield player" - we were losing the battle in midfield - we actually reverted to the formation you wanted us to start with (Marshall in the Dunn role) - so surprised you complaied about this.

It's nothing to do with the result and everything to do with the tactics. It was clear when Williamson came on that we were playing for a draw. Everyone around us could see it.

"We were losing the midfield battle"? Well we addressed that by not even competing in it. We didn't have a midfield at that point, we simply had two players linking the defence to... nobody, with our defenders launching the ball over the newly created no mans land.

I didn't boo but I would suggest those that did were a.) frustrated at having frozen their arses off to watch THAT, and b.) were frankly disgusted that Bowyer didn't see this as a massive chance to go for the three points.

Seemingly in doing so has now created a

must win game

against a better team. :rolleyes:

It's nothing to do with the result and everything to do with the tactics. It was clear when Williamson came on that we were playing for a draw. Everyone around us could see it.

"We were losing the midfield battle"? Well we addressed that by not even competing in it. We didn't have a midfield at that point, we simply had two players linking the defence to... nobody, with our defenders launching the ball over the newly created no mans land.

I didn't boo but I would suggest those that did were a.) frustrated at having frozen their arses off to watch THAT, and b.) were frankly disgusted that Bowyer didn't see this as a massive chance to go for the three points.

Seemingly in doing so has now created a

against a better team. :rolleyes:

Totally disagree about Bowyer not wanting to win. Williamson coming on was about trying to gain an advantage in midfield - which then gives you a better platform on which to attack. It didn't work - but neither did Rochina coming on.

There are different ways to winning a football match - but most people will agree that keeping a clean sheet is by far the best start. Don't know whether you were around in the days of Howard Kendall - but his team showed how important clean sheets were.

Spot on about the analogy with Brotherston. Noel was about as frustrating as they got at times, but when he was on song, what a player. He made the stadium buzz and our song for him being the king of Ewood Park, will never be forgotten.

Rochina definitely has the class, especially in this league to be a second ahead of everyone and given a proper run in the side, will make a difference. In my opinion, we need to give him a free role and let him know that he will be getting a few games and therefore remove the fear factor. I doubt that will happen and only see him going in the January window.

Brotherston was a wonderful player - there are parallels with Rochina - though I would say Brotherston's main problem was consistency (though always surprised a bigger club never came in for him) - Rochina's is consistency and decision making.

Archived