BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Day, Rovers v Weds, 26th December 2013

We've played good football at times this season. Derby, Bournemouth, Bolton, Yeovil and Barnsley to name a few occasions. Bowyer takes a measured approach to games with a focus on keeping clean sheets. That's what Hughes and Allardyce used to do as well. If you don't concede you can't lose. On the negative side, that often means he doesn't take a gamble to try and win a match which perhaps he should.

You don't think he's done a good job this season? I find anyone that thinks that absolutely baffling. Think of how poor we were last season and how much in decline we've been over the past 3 years. Add that to the chaos behind the scenes and then tell me he hasn't don't a remarkable job. He's not only steadied the ship but has us moving in he right direction.

Definitely not remarkable, average maybe. People over exaggerate how difficult the job has been to Bowyer. Yes last season was a circus. This season Shebby has dissapeared, we haven't kept changing manager and from the start the fans were behind the manager from the start of the season instead of hoping he would go ASAP like last season.

Yes we did nearly go down last season but factor in the above and that played a big part. We had some loan players like Kazim, Bentley, Rekik and Stewart who all headed back. Bowyer was then able to have the luxury of having Murphy, Gomes, Rosado etc paid off to cut the squad further, Orr and Goodwillie went out on loan part paid, and despite us owning players like Best, Campbell, Etuhu and Robinson who aren't first team regulars, he was then given the luxury of bringing in a whole team of his own players. 2 cost £1m, he got players like Judge and Taylor early so it was more of a planned process, and players like Kilgallon and DJ are no doubt on decent wages. He also had a core of players in Rhodes of course, Dann, Hanley, King, Lowe, Henley, Williamson, Dunn and Rochina, and basically the freedom to build around them with his own players, with the luxury of not having to consider players like Markus Olsson, Nunes etc as well as some of the aforementioned high earners. At other clubs he would have been forced to wait until he could offload these before he could sign any more, but due to our lack of financial plan, it didn't matter.

There is a myth that he didn't have the resources compared to other teams. Many of our rivals are teams made up of journeymen and loan signings, look at Blackpools squad, they are over us with a terrible manager and squad. Look at Burnley at the top, a tiny squad but with a manager who can get much more out of his players. Shebby hasn't said a word this season, and regarding football matters, there have been no distractions and the fan base is united again. He has a good deep squad of players and I personally think if he was braver we could be in the play offs.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he played 15 the weekend before Yeovil, 7 days later he played 67 at Yeovil so not even 90 in 2 weeks? He then gets a strain that's that bad he can't even take the bench for a match 5 days later? Not even for 15 at the end if we need it?

I bet starts against Brum, given the strain was that bad he couldn't even take the bench that's one hell of a recovery.

Why are we playing a system to suit him when by all accounts he couldn't even finish a training session? Does he train? Can he train?

Doesn't matter, he's a country mile better than anything else we have in the squad, even 60 minutes every 2/3 games puts most in the squad to shame.

Drive, desire and passion, we should all be thankful we've still got him to call on.

Doesn't matter, he's a country mile better than anything else we have in the squad, even 60 minutes every 2/3 games puts most in the squad to shame.

Drive, desire and passion, we should all be thankful we've still got him to call on.

I'm going to leave it there as I know a lot of you really like Dunn, but I don't see those attributes in Dunn.

Of course we need promotion this year, but the other aspect of it is are we equipped for promotion? Like saying I need a million pound a year for my job but am i capable of it is a completely different thing. People are focusing too much on what we need, and need to take a step back and realise what we are capable of doing.

Do you think Bowyer did his utmost to win yesterday's game?

Was replacing a striker with a second def midfield with a third of the game left a sign that Bowyer was chasing three points or settling for one?

How many games on the bounce did he play when his contract was expiring last season?

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/7804/david-dunn?cc=5739

I'm sorry but if he can do it then (ie play 90 twice in 3 days(more than once) and be on the bench) and we all know he hasn't had any serious injuries since, then he can do it now. Provided he's looking after himself?

Niggles the one thing a physio can't detect or validate and the most common injury around in football.

My next comment will be how many hamstring issues have we had this season? King, Dunn, Henley, taylor just of the top of my head.

I'm going to leave it there as I know a lot of you really like Dunn, but I don't see those attributes in Dunn.

He was exceptional against Yoevil by all accounts, just the sort of player we need to pull the strings when fit.

How many games on the bounce did he play when his contract was expiring last season?

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/7804/david-dunn?cc=5739

I'm sorry but if he can do it then (ie play 90 twice in 3 days(more than once) and be on the bench) and we all know he hasn't had any serious injuries since, then he can do it now. Provided he's looking after himself?

Niggles the one thing a physio can't detect or validate and the most common injury around in football.

The manager is playing him sparingly, like the club did with Tugay, nothing wrong with that in my book.

Do you think Bowyer did his utmost to win yesterday's game?

Was replacing a striker with a second def midfield with a third of the game left a sign that Bowyer was chasing three points or settling for one?

As we were being overrun in midfield at the time I thought it was exactly the correct decision.

That's a stupid remark Maj....

I know you really like him and fair play he is a good player when he's right. But I don't think given his actions and remarks that Rovers are the most important thing in his life ala a fan. I think Dunn only cares about Dunn and that shows in his actions IMO. We need every player giving everything they can to get promoted and I don't think Dunn is doing that given not 8 months ago he was capable.

I know you really like him and fair play he is a good player when he's right. But I don't think given his actions and remarks that Rovers are the most important thing in his life ala a fan. I think Dunn only cares about Dunn and that shows in his actions IMO. We need every player giving everything they can to get promoted and I don't think Dunn is doing that given not 8 months ago he was capable.

We'll agree to disagree Maj, Dunns always had his critics and in some cases rightly so. But to suggest he's not pulling out all the stops currently is complete bunkum and ill informed.

We'll agree to disagree Maj, Dunns always had his critics and in some cases rightly so. But to suggest he's not pulling out all the stops currently is complete bunkum and ill informed.

I knew the second I said anything about Dunn, you'd be posting in his defence. Aye it's best we do disagree, but i will ask one final Q given your response. Do you know differently to me IE the ill informed comment?

I knew the second I said anything about Dunn, you'd be posting in his defence. Aye it's best we do disagree, but i will ask one final Q given your response. Do you know differently to me IE the ill informed comment?

I think you're being a little unfair Maj, I don't post much these days so to claim i'd post in his defence as soon as you said anything is wrong. But I'll stick up for Dunny if I think he's being unfairly singled out, like I would for anyone else in the side I hold an opinion on.

As for the ill informed comment, its not a weeing competition, he ran the game at Yeovil, so even if I was sat next to him for Christmas lunch this year his actions speak louder than mine or your words.

Ha. It's Rhodes fault again, eh, Gordon? Chuffing unbelievable!

Oh, and Wednesday were poor. Not sure where your freebie tickets were situated but your reading of this game is well off.

Bowyer hoping for a penalty? Goodness me.

Your contrariness for the sake of it, sometimes astounds.

Bit touchy Stuart? Read it again and you might spot that my criticisms were at two centre halves (and Dann in particular) who provided a stream of passes to JR that he simply doesn't have either the presence the physicality or the ability to deal with. Also that SW employed tactics to deny JR the service that he likes....btw the sort of tactics that more and more teams appear to be using.

Sounds like you thought JR had a good game then? Wow :excl:

I think you're being a little unfair Maj, I don't post much these days so to claim i'd post in his defence as soon as you said anything is wrong. But I'll stick up for Dunny if I think he's being unfairly singled out, like I would for anyone else in the side I hold an opinion on.

As for the ill informed comment, its not a weeing competition, he ran the game at Yeovil, so even if I was sat next to him for Christmas lunch this year his actions speak louder than mine or your words.

All i meant was that I know you like him and value him as a player so expected a response. It wasn't meant to come across as unfair so I apologise if that was the case.

But the fact he runs the game is the reason I say what I say, we Rovers need him playing week in week out. But he plays 60 and then is out for at least the next match. He coped last year, had a full pre-season and now can't play more than 60 in 7days, that's a big decline. The other factor for me is simple, why base our tactics round a player who won't in the main be on the pitch?

I asked if you knew more than me regards Dunn, I never meant for it to be a cock contest. If you knew something I didn't that changed the picture then my opinion would change as well. That was all.

My comment regards actions wasn't in reference to those he makes on the pitch but away from it, which whether you agree or not I feel give me some insight into what sort of person he is.

At times in the first half we made them look like Brasil. Clean sheets are a bonus and Bowyer has laid some good solid foundations. Pity about the dross bleeding the club dry because maybe we could afford a bit of quality if that lot disappeared into thin air. We are bang on average but i still feel we should do a little better attack wise with what we have at our disposal. Bringing Rochina on for last few mins was pointless, think he touched it once. Should have been on a lot earlier as game was crying out for some flair in the final 3rd and im sure he only put him on to appease the fans chanting for him. Could understand the Williamson one because there was a gapping hole in the middle at times.

The league table never lies Theno..they are one of the poorer sides in this tin pot championship.

Really? well the league table lied when Allardyce came in for the hapless Ince. A bottom club was transformed to a mid table one in the first game!

Rovers boss Gary Bowyer was puzzled after his side was booed off at full-time.

"The progress we're making is decent - that's six out of the last nine games where we've kept a clean sheet.

There's a chorus of boos round the ground, which I don't quite understand. We have to understand where we've come from. You always try to win the game, but if you can't get the three, make sure you get the one."

Cos as is oft quoted the Blackburn supporters are not a crowd... they are a jury!

Too many know nowts in our lot who constitute a spoilt generation manufactured by the Walker years. Bowyer is doing a good job imo after the preceding 3 years of corruption.

Really? well the league table lied when Allardyce came in for the hapless Ince. A bottom club was transformed to a mid table one in the first game!

Cos as is oft quoted the Blackburn supporters are not a crowd... they are a jury!

Too many know nowts in our lot who constitute a spoilt generation manufactured by the Walker years. Bowyer is doing a good job imo after the preceding 3 years of corruption.

I think that applies to supporters of all clubs

Sounds like you thought JR had a good game then? Wow :excl:

No but it's getting a bit tiring after every game that we either don't win or Rhodes doesn't score in.

We have the finishing all boxed off, we need to sort out the midfield now. Lowe and Williamson are not what we need.

In other news, I note with interest that NO-ONE has pointed out Lowe's glaring miss with an open net at his mercy. Poor positioning and/or terrible technique, but the untouchable/undroppable Lowe escapes any criticism.

HE decided we couldn't get the three and went for the one.

...with over a third of the match remaining!

That's why the last half hour was so dire and fans were unhappy.

Correct. Constitutes wisdom in my book. From 45 minutes on and Taylor was replaced by King we couldn't get out of our own half. The smart money would have been on us losing at that point. How would you have approached it Stuart?

imo Sheff Wed would have won if they had had a striker of quality.

Archived