BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Day, Rovers v Weds, 26th December 2013

IMO you are judging Gestede far too early - he looks to have all the attributes we have been crying out for. With the issues surrounding Best we needed an experienced striker at this level, rather than yet another midfield player. Buy another midfield player - who to replace Cairney, Evans, Lowe ?

Replace Lowe with Williamson - you obviously didn't spot Williamson continually struggling for pace - getting caught of position ?

Dunn's contract - personally I don't know how is contract is made up - do you ? For all anyone knows it could be heavily balanced towards actually playing.

I partly agree with your comment about DJ - but I will always go back to what I have always said - innocent until proven guilty. On this basis - DJ is a recognised goal scorer at this level - may not have done much for us, but his record with other clubs is very good. Though I wouldn't personally pay him the huge salary to purely be a back up for Rhodes - he does represent a good alternative option if Rhodes gets injured or needs resting.

Granted about Gestede being early days but I still would like to see Rhodes and Rochina develop a partnership - particularly with Dunn being so flakey. "Yet another midfielder"? I can't agree that our centre midfield is sewn up - even with everyone fit. Lowe is clearly being groomed as a future captain but is a long way off.

Bit by playing Lowe AND Williamson, we invite pressure and personally I think Williamson is the better player. He has a lot more about him than the robotic, negative Lowe, who probably sums up Bowyer's style and may define his tenure.

If Dunn is currently on PAYP, he must have a very good basic salary as he is happy to sit out with 'knocks' and 'niggles'.

Nothing to do with his guilt. The fact is, until he is cleared it is very difficult to play him and to have him fully focused. He's hardly been anything special for us before this investigation anyway. Not sure what he offers us. Forrester could probably be just as much of an option.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe me Maj, we were never in danger of losing that match BEFORE the 2nd substitution. There's talk of nullifying their threat. If someone could tell me what that supposed threat was I'd be grateful.

Wednesday came for a point and got one. The 2nd sub meant that they coasted it for the last half hour.

My inclination was to replace Gestede with Rochina - but I am not going to beat up Bowyer for going with Williamson. I think many saw the issues we had combating the extra man in midfield - just varying opinions on how best to resolve.

We will never know who was right - bringing Rochina on earlier - he could have easily scored or set up a goal - but was just as likely to give the ball away in a dangerous area and we get beat.

No we will never find out but I am happy to hold my hands up and say I wasn't impressed at all as despite not being there I knew what it meant. We sit deeper and play longer to JR as that is what has happened everytime. I do wish he'd be a bit more outgoing in his decisions and play at times.

I can see what GB is saying in that yes progress has been made under him. But I've watched my club cheat and rob itself for 3 years now and that's what I saw with that sub on Boxing day, rovers robbing ourselves of 2 more points. I worry that despite progress being made it won't be to the degree required and I don't want to imagine what will happen then.

Granted about Gestede being early days but I still would like to see Rhodes and Rochina develop a partnership - particularly with Dunn being so flakey.

So would I Stuart, but it isn't going to happen. Neither of them have that capability. We're in dreamland if we think that might happen.

No we will never find out but I am happy to hold my hands up and say I wasn't impressed at all as despite not being there I knew what it meant. We sit deeper and play longer to JR as that is what has happened everytime. I do wish he'd be a bit more outgoing in his decisions and play at times.

I can see what GB is saying in that yes progress has been made under him. But I've watched my club cheat and rob itself for 3 years now and that's what I saw with that sub on Boxing day, rovers robbing ourselves of 2 more points. I worry that despite progress being made it won't be to the degree required and I don't want to imagine what will happen then.

You have certainly named it there. If we need promotion to survive, we need to go for it. All I am seeing is gradualism at a time of apparent crisis.

TBH, I don't know what to think anymore. I am still sick to my stomach at what I have had to witness over the period of our infection, and I know this hardly makes me a forgiving spectator. I will resist the temptation to single out individual players as a channel for my powerless anger. In that regard I am a little uneasy that Dunn is taking stick less than a week after an MOM performance at Yeovil.

IMO you are judging Gestede far too early - he looks to have all the attributes we have been crying out for..

What, the ability NOT to be able to find the back of the net? We already have enough of those guys at the Club thank you very much, Best. DJ and Goodwillie. What we neef is someone apart from poor old Rhodes to share the scoring burden.

Gestede surely only has a valid role as a last 20 minute impact sub when we're trying to throw the kitchen sink at it after all other options have failed.

Plan A should be Rochina behind Rhodes imo.

Believe me Maj, we were never in danger of losing that match BEFORE the 2nd substitution. There's talk of nullifying their threat. If someone could tell me what that supposed threat was I'd be grateful.

Wednesday came for a point and got one. The 2nd sub meant that they coasted it for the last half hour.

Believe him at your peril Maj. Thats the biggest load of crap I've read in a long while. If any club comes for a point they drop deep and defend their penalty area and waste time at every opportunity. Wednesday did none of those things. For the first 15 mins of the second half and following our enforced subbing of Taylor Wednesday were pressing us hard and virtually camping outside OUR penalty area.

Don't agree with you there.

WHO CARES? YOU ARE WRONG NOT TO.

Played = 86.88 points so 87

Started = 99.66 so 100

NEVER MIND HIS BODY IT'S AUTOMATIC PROMOTION IF DUNNY COULD GET HIS BLOODY HEAD INTO GEAR.

Gestede has 19 goals in 139 apps.

Suffice to say this isn't the guy to replace Rhodes. At best he supplements him, but should never be considered a replacement.

Not saying whether your opinion is right or wrong but Alan Shearer had 23 goals in 118 matches for Southampton before we bought him!

• Backroom

Not saying whether your opinion is right or wrong but Alan Shearer had 23 goals in 118 matches for Southampton before we bought him!

My opinion can't be right or wrong as it is only an opinion ;) however Gestede is 25 now and Shearer was only 22 when we signed him. Alan didn't have a rip-roaring start to his career at Soton but he was only in his late teens at the time. At the time of purchase Shearer had been in superb form for the England U21's (if I recall correctly anyway) and on the back of an excellent season for Southampton was called up to the full England squad where he scored on his debut - whereas Gestede didn't score a single goal in 17 apps for the France U19's and now plays for Benin instead.

Not really a fair comparison imo.

Plan A should be Dunn and Rhodes. Salgado is a hero posted our stats with Dunn in the team and they are very impressive.

Rochina should be Plan B.

I disagree, not on the basis of ability particularly but due to the fact that Dunn is rarely available. Plays one misses one or plays one misses two etc.How can you build your side around someone who's never fit?

That said if fit I'd pick Dunn ahead of King and Marshall every day of the week.

If any club comes for a point they drop deep and defend their penalty area and waste time at every opportunity. Wednesday did none of those things.

Don't agree with you there Gord. Don't think I've ever seen a goalie take as long over goal kicks as Kirkland (and that goes back to his Wigan days). He's painful to watch, and it starts after 5 mins as long as his team aren't trailing.

Don't agree with you there Gord. Don't think I've ever seen a goalie take as long over goal kicks as Kirkland (and that goes back to his Wigan days). He's painful to watch, and it starts after 5 mins as long as his team aren't trailing.

Kean?

I find it hard to understand how some posters have the idea that Wednesday 'started to over run us' in midfield at any stage of the game, it's simply not true. As with many posts on this site, if you post it enough times it'll become fact I guess.

Wednesday had a couple of crosses into the box in the first half that troubled us, a part from that they did nothing unless we gave the ball away cheaply, which we did many times on the second half.

if we'd have taken our chances we'd have won 3 or 4-0, but we didn't and we move on.

Believe him at your peril Maj. Thats the biggest load of crap I've read in a long while. If any club comes for a point they drop deep and defend their penalty area and waste time at every opportunity. Wednesday did none of those things. For the first 15 mins of the second half and following our enforced subbing of Taylor Wednesday were pressing us hard and virtually camping outside OUR penalty area.

Back it up with something other than your opinion drog.

I'll go with they had less possession and less shots and we'd just had our best chance and spell of pressure.

Also, please tell me this supposed threat that Wednesday had that we had to nullify?? I only saw a 7 foot alehouse centre forward who could hardly walk never mind run.

And calling it the biggest pile of crap in a long while is not only a bit strong but doing several members on here a disservice, yourself included.

I find it hard to understand how some posters have the idea that Wednesday 'started to over run us' in midfield at any stage of the game, it's simply not true. As with many posts on this site, if you post it enough times it'll become fact I guess.

Wednesday had a couple of crosses into the box in the first half that troubled us, a part from that they did nothing unless we gave the ball away cheaply, which we did many times on the second half.

if we'd have taken our chances we'd have won 3 or 4-0, but we didn't and we move on.

T'was the same at Yeovil. I hope we're not seeing the onset of fatigue in the players as most of our 1st 11 have played the majority of games.

Back it up with something other than your opinion drog.

I'll go with they had less possession and less shots and we'd just had our best chance and spell of pressure.

Also, please tell me this supposed threat that Wednesday had that we had to nullify?? I only saw a 7 foot alehouse centre forward who could hardly walk never mind run.

And calling it the biggest pile of crap in a long while is not only a bit strong but doing several members on here a disservice, yourself included.

Why should I when my opinion is valid. Sheff Wed did not try to waste time and until Williamson was introduced it was clear that they smelt blood.

T'was the same at Yeovil. I hope we're not seeing the onset of fatigue in the players as most of our 1st 11 have played the majority of games.

Thats twice you've mentioned fatigue and with half the season remaining and us getting bundled out of the League Cup early then your opinion is either complete tosh or if it is valid then it is a bloody disgrace on the part of the squad and management. Every other team has played the same number of games remember.

This bloody board is going into melt down because we had an under par performance and drew a game that some people expected us to win at a canter. I'd say the fault is with those people.

Archived