BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

Blackburn is what it is.

Traditional industry devastated by the end of the cotton mills - something in common with the whole North West

Some distance away from the major business centres of England - something in common with most of the North

Traditionally underfunded in terms of education and services - again in common with the North

You stop there and Blackburn is no different to Blackpool, Preston, Burnley, Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Halifax, Oldham etc.

How Blackburn is different is:

1. It has the highest immigrant population of any town in England.

2. It seems to have had a lot spent on it in the last decade.

So when people from the north, and Lancashire especially, say Blackburn is a ****hole compared to where they live, what are they saying exactly? Something that a lot of people clearly think makes a difference but that nobody wants to mention.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An improvement of what it has been during my lifetime(30+ years) that is slowly but surely getting better year after year?(from my perspective of an average working class guy that's grown up on blackburns council estates)

Can't agree. I too was brought up on a council estate in Blackburn (Brownhill) but had to join the exodus as it quickly went down and down.

EDIT.

And yes, since it has been brought up it is due to the high immigrant population.

Blackburn is what it is.

Traditional industry devastated by the end of the cotton mills - something in common with the whole North West

Some distance away from the major business centres of England - something in common with most of the North

Traditionally underfunded in terms of education and services - again in common with the North

You stop there and Blackburn is no different to Blackpool, Preston, Burnley, Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Halifax, Oldham etc.

How Blackburn is different is:

1. It has the highest immigrant population of any town in England.

2. It seems to have had a lot spent on it in the last decade.

So when people from the north, and Lancashire especially, say Blackburn is a ****hole compared to where they live, what are they saying exactly? Something that a lot of people clearly think makes a difference but that nobody wants to mention.

Point 1 obviously out of that choice

and there you go,thank you,

finally admitting that its your personal prejudices choice that is what you use to form your opinion of this town.

That's me out, for a while, you can find somebody else to constantly harang now.

corrected it for you

and there you go,thank you,

finally admitting that its your personal prejudices that is what you use to form your opinion of this town.

That's me out, for a while, you can find somebody else to constantly harang now.

Surely you don't think he's on his own though? Thousands have moved out, thousands more want to move out but can't after seeing their house prices plummet (another indication of how widespread the view is). Blackburn has reached almost national status in the general view that its a terrible place to live.

The point I was making is there's one prime reason for this. And that people daren't say it, not that they'd be wrong in saying it. The negative impact of immigration on the town is clear to see in its annihilated nightlife, the grooming epidemic, general racial tension between estates. Even day to day things like the vast rise in uninsured or unlicensed drivers making bb1 the worst postcode to get insurance, the fact that armed forces personnel daren't wear uniform in the town, the sheer number of people who can't speak english eroding community bonds.

You can live in denial about whats happening to Blackburn if you want, your choice. Personally I could have told brfcrule1 what Blackburn is like in one sentence, an asian town.

Surely you don't think he's on his own though? Thousands have moved out, thousands more want to move out but can't after seeing their house prices plummet (another indication of how widespread the view is). Blackburn has reached almost national status in the general view that its a terrible place to live.

The point I was making is there's one prime reason for this. And that people daren't say it, not that they'd be wrong in saying it. The negative impact of immigration on the town is clear to see in its annihilated nightlife, the grooming epidemic, general racial tension between estates. Even day to day things like the vast rise in uninsured or unlicensed drivers making bb1 the worst postcode to get insurance, the fact that armed forces personnel daren't wear uniform in the town, the sheer number of people who can't speak english eroding community bonds.

You can live in denial about whats happening to Blackburn if you want, your choice. Personally I could have told brfcrule1 what Blackburn is like in one sentence, an asian town.

What SKH said

and TJN I could not care less what you think, in the 70's Blackburn was a great night out, you could go shopping without fear,

The Vulcan was open, you didn't get your car rear ended at the traffic lights, you could go for a curry down the range and have a laugh with the locals. the Raos had never been heard of,

Don't tell me it is improving

It isn't the worst crime in the world the costa vandalism, but if you start allowing things like that to be acceptable, it's a slippery slope....[/

Edmund Burke once said: The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing..

• Backroom

Good on you mate

And really Blackburn isn't paradise but it isn't so bad!

You'll miss things about being in the city but there's some things I'm sure you'll find you prefer

personally(and please honestly don't take this as an attack/insult) but to me it just sounds like your lacking a bit of confidence if you get intimidated so easily.

I live and work here, as do most people I meet and associate with, every town has its scrotes though.

And every town should do it's best to address the problem and eradicate it. By your words you are condoning such.

it a bloody costa coffee shop for krikes sake the workers are likely over worked and paid minimum wage in a shop that sells overpriced hot drinks and pre packaged snacks, there's no reason for them to give a monkeys, if this 'incident' was to happen somewhere a bit more swankier then I'm sure it would have been dealt with differently.

Completely irrelevant. They have legs and a mind of their own and should look for a job with better pay and conditions. If they are good at their current post like as not they will succeed, alternatively if they have a mind set like yourself they'll get nowhere in life.

Too many in this town lack pride, self esteem, self discipline and duty. It's like a virus.

I've seen alcohol and drugs make people do the craziest things, which in the moment 'the culprits' genuinely don't believe to be vandalism and probably have (they believe) a very good reason to commit the act until they wake the next day (sometimes in a cell or hospital ward) and realise what an absolute twonk they have been(or in other words :wacko: they realise and accept responsibility for the stupidity of their actions) so i don't think its right to judge them as a person, other than to say they should avoid excessive booze, etc,,, because it brings the worst out in them.

What rubbish. Committing a crime whilst under the influence of drink or drugs may be a reason BUT is NOT a defence in law. A persons actions are their own responsibility.

Problem is that if that table is worth £200 for example the law very rarely ensures that the victim (the shop) is reimbursed fully and the perpetrator (or the person(s) responsible for that person are made to pay full damages as well as receiving further punishment for their actions. Until it is things are unlikely to change.

Is it not possible that it just seems like Blackburn has more 'scrotes' on average than surrounding towns because Blackburn has a much larger population(I think!) and during the day most scotey types tend to congregate in the same areas(around parts of the town centre, etc...)?

(ive got to stop typing scrotes now, its making my balls itch)

Nope. As I said earlier it is a consequence of white flight. People who can afford to get out have gone. People who can't have to stay, house prices drop and more come in. If you want a real indicator look at the shops in the town centre. The best shops have closed and been replaced with pound shops and discount stores... the type of shops that you are complaining about for providing much needed work in the 3rd world. It's all cause and effect but one thing is for sure crib all you want but if nobody bought goods at the DW etc it wouldn't be there would it?

What rubbish. Committing a crime whilst under the influence of drink or drugs may be a reason BUT is NOT a defence in law. A persons actions are their own responsibility.

Problem is that if that table is worth £200 for example the law very rarely ensures that the victim (the shop) is reimbursed fully and the perpetrator (or the person(s) responsible for that person are made to pay full damages as well as receiving further punishment for their actions. Until it is things are unlikely to change.

That point about being reimbursed is a good one, once caught am employee stealing from the till on CCTV, the police let them off with a caution, didn't get the tenner back, then the bruiser boyfriend tried demanded her pay for the rest of the day, holiday pay not accrued and a full explanation why she had been sacked so he could take legal action.

I Asked him if liked sex and travel, the takings after she had gone went up £200/week, not a cat in hells chance of getting anything back from the culprit

Id like to think they'd have the sense to only judge the café they are, not the town.

I'm sorry but is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of snobbery on this site lately?(this isn't aimed at jal or anybody in particular, just a general observation)

if "snob" and/or "snobbery" refers to people who detest loutish and boorish behaviour / respect the property, lives and rights of others / seek to live and work in nice surroundings / pass on a better place to live to their children than the one they inherited from theirs then I am glad to be a snob... and a @#/? big one!

if "snob" and/or "snobbery" refers to people who detest loutish and boorish behaviour / respect the property, lives and rights of others / seek to live and work in nice surroundings / pass on a better place to live to their children than the one they inherited from theirs then I am glad to be a snob... and a keaning big one!

It is falling on stony ground Gordon, TJ decided to leave the debate when it started getting down to the nitty gritty,

part of the problem I suspect

That point about being reimbursed is a good one, once caught am employee stealing from the till on CCTV, the police let them off with a caution, didn't get the tenner back, then the bruiser boyfriend tried demanded her pay for the rest of the day, holiday pay not accrued and a full explanation why she had been sacked so he could take legal action.

I Asked him if liked sex and travel, the takings after she had gone went up £200/week, not a cat in hells chance of getting anything back from the culprit

Unfortunately the police reluctance to implement the law means

a. That such crime continues and even spreads.

and

b. to gain satisfaction and recompense that you have to hire a bigger bruiser.

It is falling on stony ground Gordon, TJ decided to leave the debate when it started getting down to the nitty gritty,

part of the problem I suspect

Gone has he? Good! He's an odd fecker with strange values and a skewed slant on life that's for sure.

• Backroom

Just ignore the bloke if you aren't keen

He says something and then several jump at the chance to have a pop then he gets wound up and posts rubbish and on it goes

Easy to use the ignore function :)

Archived