BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Deadline day

Tom

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd give this transfer window a 7.5 out of 10.

Getting rid of as much of the dross as we did, must be considered a success. I'd probably have persevered with Rochina but the likes of Marrow, Campbell, Judge, Orr all gone is good news indeed. None looked remotely like contributing towards our season. Would like to have seen Best and Etuhu go but realistically who would want such a problem player who's not performing and a total crock?

Financially trimming the wage bill we've probably done even better - especially getting Dann off the wage bill. Not that great a player, so no complaints with him leaving.

Ins ok most of them were with us. But it does free up loan spaces, which should not be underestimated, and we brought them at the right time. Gestede's value must have rocketed since he became permanent and is showing excellent form, whilst Cairney may have gone elsewhere in the summer - at least we have him under contract. So good buys. Conway has a good reputation so hopefully will be a good one too,

Who we kept - we crucially kept two of our most important players. Rhodes and Robinson. Robinson is streets ahead of the other goalies, who would cost us points as oppose to win them. Equally Rhodes goals, and his growing partnership with Gestede will be a big part in any success we have. Plus we're short up front.

Negative side - still feel we're dangerously short at center back and up front. Up front we really do lack players who can lead the line - only having two in Gestede and Rhodes. Especially when playing with 2 up front (and sometimes 3) both of which have happened just as much as playing a loan striker probably means that we're short up there. Added to which Dunn's often injured and King who can play there can't shoot, and we seem a bit short of options and good quality back up.

It's even more grim at center back. We've only 2 recognized center backs one of whom is injury prone. That is ridiculously risky, and whilst the back-up up front looks unconvincing and thin, the back-up at centerr back is none existent. Given we've known Dann is off for ages this seems even more badly planned. Yes we do have the loan window to rectify both problems, but especially at center back this is a bit risky. All it takes is for one injury and a complication in signing a loan player (given Shaw's heroics before and Kilgallon's injury record a far from impossible situation) and we're in the mire.

So all in all a good transfer window. Not great though as the risk at center back imo is too great for the next week or two.

All this is assuming it's not promotion or bust. If it is - we've not really made up enough ground.

The Dann deal could have fallen through until very near the end of the window, so us not getting cover in is understandable in my opinion.

We have a lean squad, but I am very pleased with what we managed to achieve in this window.

There hasn't been a lack of planning guys the club were preparing to sell Dann in the summer when they pre -empted his departure and signed Killa ...that backfired.

Songo didn't really work out but they will have a plan to cover CB and my guess now is via the loan market or a free agent ..

Note - they want experience and a cheapie so don't expect Dawson of the like.

I think it has been a pretty decent window in terms of reducing the wage bill and maintaining a squad that will be good enough for a top ten finish. The loan system will allow us to bring cover in if needed but the arrival of Cairney, Gestede, Mahoney and Conway are the right signings for the future. I've never been convinced that we were good enough for promotion this season and clearly reducing the wage bill was the prime objective of this window. If we can offload Henrique and Jorge on loan all the better. By clearing the decks at all levels - seniors, Under-21's and Under-18's - it gives the club a chance to continue with the transition in the summer. The only disappointment was not getting rid of Best.

It had to be this way I'm afraid. These financial losses just couldn't last. It signifies to me that the penny has dropped. Promotion would be a minor miracle and its time to accept where we are. In the same way people have said potential incomings should be priced on the transfer fee plus the weekly wage over the period of the contract. We now have to look at this as being £1.75m plus Danns wages over however long was left of his contract incoming. Im fairly sure any manager worth his salt could pick up a centre half of Danns quality and get change out of that amount.

The squad has lost a lot of numbers for sure. But it was heavily bloated and needed sorting. It will probably make very little difference to the final outcome of this season. I have to say, the owners have been fair in letting it stay as large until now. Had we been sitting pretty in promotion contention I expect they'd have left it alone to give us a fighting chance in the run in. Now it looks unlikely it'll be needee there was no point in maintaining the squad size.

If I was a betting man I'd bet on a new centre half coming in on loan and maybe even a striker too. Unless Best has found god and repents his sins.

You can't talk sensibly on here. It's not allowed.

No pal...my guess is Lucas Neill

We need experience

He needs to play well to go to the WC

He has strong friendships within the club

Cheap short term deal

Win - Win

Lose-lose.

Not good enough for part time foreign leagues and now 35. As pointed out earlier he put in 100% but was a clumsy keaner when younger and never quick plus some fans would be on him straight away so no win win at all.

Scott Dann, we only got £1.75m... I know we needed to get him off the wage bill, but come on...We paid £6m for him didn't we??? He's only 26... we've been held to ransom!!!

ffs!!!! No we bloody well didn't! How many effin times do I have to write on here that we paid circa 1.5m to Brum for Scott Dann?

No pal...my guess is Lucas Neill

We need experience

He needs to play well to go to the WC

He has strong friendships within the club

Cheap short term deal

Win - Win

As long as he is fit enough, I couldn't agree more. IMO he would also bring leadership and a gritty will to win to a team that appears soft as s***t especially away from home.

Lose-lose.

Not good enough for part time foreign leagues and now 35. As pointed out earlier he put in 100% but was a clumsy keaner when younger and never quick plus some fans would be on him straight away so no win win at all.

The win - win thing wasn't my personal opinion just seems to make sense from the thing do do know and the position were in...

Time will tell but I do know one thing..this wasn't a surprise...the fact they've not signed anyone isn't a mistake...they have been waiting to sell Dann since last summer

Fuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkkkk! I'd have thought £3,700 was too much.

Nice to see that it was reduced after relegation but coco the kean engineered to have it put back up again. Complete c###.

The win - win thing wasn't my personal opinion just seems to make sense from the thing do do know and the position were in...

Time will tell but I do know one thing..this wasn't a surprise...the fact they've not signed anyone isn't a mistake...they have been waiting to sell Dann since last summer

Yep i agree with you about the Killa thing and i think he's very similar to Dann but it's about bedding in with Hanley the way Dann had finally done this season. Hanley seemed to listen to Dann but will he with Killa, we know what happens when big Grant takes a dislike to you !!!

So in summary.. we didn't shift Best, Rhodes stays and now looking at the loan window for CB cover

In

Craig Conway [Cardiff - Blackburn] Undisclosed

Bryan Dabo [Montpellier - Blackburn] Loan

Made perm

Tom Cairney [Hull - Blackburn] Undisclosed

Rudy Gestede [Cardiff - Blackburn] Undisclosed

Out

Scott Dann [blackburn - Crystal Palace] Undisclosed

Bradley Orr [blackburn - Toronto] Loan

David Goodwillie [blackburn - Blackpool] Loan

Edinho Junior [blackburn - Harrisburg City Islanders] Free

Fabio Nunes [blackburn - Latina] Free

DJ Campbell [blackburn - Millwall] Loan

Ruben Rochina [blackburn - Rayo Vallecano] Loan

Alex Marrow [blackburn - Fleetwood] Loan

Alan Judge [blackburn - Brentford] Loan

Bruno Ribeiro [blackburn - Clube Atletico Linense] Free

Jordan Slew [blackburn - Ross County] Loan

Didn't miss any did I?

Not bad for a defender who got two teams relegated

And counting. Looking forward to the stupid bowl abs? Two teams fromstates where pot is about legal. Must be somethi g to it. Good luck to your donkeys dont much care for the game meself

only takes a couple of injurys and we are screwed ..our bench is weak as it is..

We would have been whether dann left or not. Look on the bright side my friend. All this talk of GB being to negative should end now. We are thin in central defence so we have to go all out attack to keep the prwssure off them.

[quote name="rover_groo"

Suffering a ruptured testicle and playing on the remainder of the game .[/quote

Low impact injury Dann had no balls.

@PaulWheelock: Gary Bowyer did say earlier today if Scott Dann went he would look when the loan window reopens next Saturday for centre-back cover. #rovers

Sh1t. £4m off the books, average centre half gone. On a ridiculously expensive contract. Did well to shift him. Blackpool and Boro next. I suppose if we don't win both of those we should assassinate Bowyer then commit Hari Kari really.

Meanwhile on a Brighton messageboard I suppose there's a few saying how they should have bought Conway and how it's a criminal lack of ambition on their part. Meanwhile palace fans are glad all over how they've just bought a centre half who's been relegated twice in the last four years from the premier league.

Stop that bob dont you know many on here want to criticize the signings that sort of positivity is gonna do a few heads in mate.

So in summary.. we didn't shift Best, Rhodes stays and now looking at the loan window for CB cover

In

Craig Conway [Cardiff - Blackburn] Undisclosed

Bryan Dabo [Montpellier - Blackburn] Loan

Made perm

Tom Cairney [Hull - Blackburn] Undisclosed

Rudy Gestede [Cardiff - Blackburn] Undisclosed

Out

Scott Dann [blackburn - Crystal Palace] Undisclosed

Bradley Orr [blackburn - Toronto] Loan

David Goodwillie [blackburn - Blackpool] Loan

Edinho Junior [blackburn - Harrisburg City Islanders] Free

Fabio Nunes [blackburn - Latina] Free

DJ Campbell [blackburn - Millwall] Loan

Ruben Rochina [blackburn - Rayo Vallecano] Loan

Alex Marrow [blackburn - Fleetwood] Loan

Alan Judge [blackburn - Brentford] Loan

Bruno Ribeiro [blackburn - Clube Atletico Linense] Free

Jordan Slew [blackburn - Ross County] Loan

Didn't miss any did I?

Songo went out on loan

The majority are gone for good or at the end of their contracts when they return. Only Jorge, Henrique and Best to get rid of now.

I would add etuhu and ollsson to that list

I've lost count of the times that you have said that Abbs. :rover:

Serious this time pal.. No time for him . He showed his greed when he left and he's trying to come here again for one last money grab . He is one ex player that I well & truly hate.

Archived