BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Deadline day

Tom

You say that but have you seen him in training at Brockhall jonv? That is the only relevent issue to this entire debate.

Another relevent issue here is that we all rem Neill as a full back not a CH. Pace and mobility is far more important for a full back than for a CH where strength and physicallity is a greater requirement. Providing they are big enough for the role then moving inside can add a couple of years to a players career. I'd imagine Spurr will be one to move inside as he gets older whereas the likes of Kane and Henley aren't tall enough.

Like I said, I'd love to be proved wrong if he was to be signed - but as I haven't seen him training at Brockhall I can only go off his recent performances in the A-League and from what I've read in regards to those other lesser known clubs.

Bentleys another past prodige who we signed up and did the precise sum off feck all :rock:

I do trust in Bowyer though and will back whoever he brings in :brfc:

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can Dunny play like he used to?

If Neill could play like he used to he'd be snapped up by a Prem club and we'd have no chance of signing him. Neither the team nor Lucas are of Prem quality. Rem we are looking for cheap cover with quality.

Similar was the word i used, wouldn't expect him to be the player he was but surely we don't want anymore passengers. Neil is looking for games i would think so sitting on the bench as cover is no use to him. Although at the risk of shooting myself in the foot here but we could do with experience at right back, both Henley and Kane are quick and like to get forward but positionaly they struggle badly. Oh for a right back version of Tommy Spurr !

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/10990910._/

Dunno if that link will work because I'm on my phone and my technical wizardry is pretty much restricted to browsing the Internet. Anyway, its from the LT and Deggsie is actually talking a modicum of sense. He almost sounds the part.

Yep. It's probably a reflection of recent times, but I found myself thinking "sensible words, but do I trust the speaker?" No hope for me, I know,

Dunno if that link will work because I'm on my phone and my technical wizardry is pretty much restricted to browsing the Internet. Anyway, its from the LT and Deggsie is actually talking a modicum of sense. He almost sounds the part.

Not heard the link and it pains me to say it somewhat (or maybe thats the wrong thing to say) but I don't think Shaw has really put a foot wrong since Agnew was binned off.

Similar was the word i used, wouldn't expect him to be the player he was but surely we don't want anymore passengers. Neil is looking for games i would think so sitting on the bench as cover is no use to him. Although at the risk of shooting myself in the foot here but we could do with experience at right back, both Henley and Kane are quick and like to get forward but positionaly they struggle badly. Oh for a right back version of Tommy Spurr !

Crikey. Spurr does not convince me that he is what we need. "adequate" would be my one word summation. Nothing wrong with that but he seems to me to be a 2nd Div player making the most of a bit of good fortune.

I dont really doubt his trustworthiness Leonard. I doubt his credentials and intelligence but I don't believe he's made from the same stuff as Agnew.

Anyway, I thought the article demonstrated how, at the very least, some thought had been put into the terms of Dann's transfer. Whether or not that is too everyones satisfaction or not is another issue. But thought is something which seemed to have deserted Rovers in recent years. Barring those who applied plenty of it to rip the club off that is. Nice to see. Even if it is from a nobender.

It pains me to say it somewhat (or maybe thats the wrong thing to say) but I don't think Shaw hasn't really put a foot wrong since Agnew was binned off.

Crikey. Spurr does not convince me that he is what we need. "adequate" would be my one word summation. Nothing wrong with that but he seems to me to be a 2nd Div player making the most of a bit of good fortune.

Spurr is a steady player at this level. His main problem is lack of pace and didn't you just remind me we are shopping in the bargain basement ? You want a clapped out Neil over another Tommy Spurr type ? WTF!

Spurr is a steady player at this level. His main problem is lack of pace and didn't you just remind me we are shopping in the bargain basement ? You want a clapped out Neil over another Tommy Spurr type ? WTF!

All I am saying is that each player should be judged on his merits and not on preconceived judgements from people who are in no position to offer valid opinion but are rather relying on prejudice and emotion. If Neill can still be of value to us and will agree to the remuneration that we are offering then thats fine by me.

All I am saying is that each player should be judged on his merits and not on preconceived judgements from people who are in no position to offer valid opinion but are rather relying on prejudice and emotion. If Neill can still be of value to us and will agree to the remuneration that we are offering then thats fine by me.

Which works both ways. Had Neill never played for the club, would people want him here based on his recent CV?

I dont really doubt his trustworthiness Leonard. I doubt his credentials and intelligence but I don't believe he's made from the same stuff as Agnew.

Anyway, I thought the article demonstrated how, at the very least, some thought had been put into the terms of Dann's transfer. Whether or not that is too everyones satisfaction or not is another issue. But thought is something which seemed to have deserted Rovers in recent years. Barring those who applied plenty of it to rip the club off that is. Nice to see. Even if it is from a nobender.

I am sure you are right. I was just acknowledging my own resistance to trusting anyone that came in with this regime.

Shaw's connection with Agnew is a serious handicap.I guess I would have an issue with Father Christmas, if I had seen him out for a pint with Goebbels!

No Australian club will take him on and he's captain of their national team! Does that not tell you something?

Not heard the link and it pains me to say it somewhat (or maybe thats the wrong thing to say) but I don't think Shaw has really put a foot wrong since Agnew was binned off.

What about that fleece he wore at Cairney's signing? That was a crime against humanity.

I think one reason that a lot of these obscure(to us) foreign teams havent kept Neil on could be that he's not seen as being a glamorous enough(high profile, exciting) player to justify the kind of wages id expect that he'd be after which would likely of made him one of the highest earners at those clubs.

Though I think he should only be seen as a last redort for us, but he should be good enough to act as cover(as long as his general fitness is up to scratch)

How old was salgado when he signed for us at right back, his legs had gone but we still got a few good games our of him, diferent type of player to neil obviously, but Neil as the added bonus of height and strength so could adapt to play in the centre.

I hope Bowyer finds a good back up CB on loan to be real competition for Hanley and Kilgallon.

We still have a lot of games ahead and it's too risky to have a 35 year old players, that may be out of form, as a 3rd CB for the team.

I would rather see us call back one of the CB we have on loan.

I think one reason that a lot of these obscure(to us) foreign teams havent kept Neil on could be that he's not seen as being a glamorous enough(high profile, exciting) player to justify the kind of wages id expect that he'd be after which would likely of made him one of the highest earners at those clubs.

Though I think he should only be seen as a last redort for us, but he should be good enough to act as cover(as long as his general fitness is up to scratch)

How old was salgado when he signed for us at right back, his legs had gone but we still got a few good games our of him, diferent type of player to neil obviously, but Neil as the added bonus of height and strength so could adapt to play in the centre.

The point is he wants games so he isn't going to sign as cover.

Although we would lack experience with him and Hanley as the 2 centre-backs - we have O'Connell at Torquay who picked up player of the month for them for January.

I suppose the tricky thing for Bowyer is whether to bring him back as cover, or leave him there playing week-in week-out which is probably better for his development.

I suppose if he is on a short-term loan deal he is there as back-up for now.

No Australian club will take him on and he's captain of their national team! Does that not tell you something?

Not much no. If anything it maybe suggests that they don't pay as much as we do. It certainly doesn't tell me how capable or otherwise he is looking down at Brockhall... and that is really the only thing that matters isn't it?

The point is he wants games so he isn't going to sign as cover.

That is my only reservation.

Let's be honest, Neill's record over the past 2 years suggests he's finished. Not being able to hack it in the leagues he's recently been at suggests he's no chance of making it in the championship where it'll be tougher, more physical, and probably technically more demanding too.

Certainly need one center back, if not two. You always pretty much seem to play with 2, so 2 for cover is needed, Especially as I think it's the hardest position for other positions to cover. Can't see Henley, Kane, Lowe etc. doing a great job of covering. I guess we could also play Evans there but he is badly needed in the center of midfield.

We should only be looking at signing someone as cover for the next 17 games who could step in comfortably in the event that Kilgallon or Hanley were missing. I have my own reservations about Neill, but if Bowyer and his staff feel he is worth keeping until the end of the season then that's good enough for me.

After the 17 games we will know whether we are going to be in the Championship or Premiership and can sign a centre half in the summer accordingly, at a time when it is easier to do deals and incoming players can have several weeks to settle in.

Which works both ways. Had Neill never played for the club, would people want him here based on his recent CV?

Doesn't matter we have a habit on this board of slating all signings before they have ever kicked a ball for us

Not much no. If anything it maybe suggests that they don't pay as much as we do. It certainly doesn't tell me how capable or otherwise he is looking down at Brockhall... and that is really the only thing that matters isn't it?That is my only reservation.

They won't pay him ANYTHING Theno. That's the point. He's desperate for a club, any club. Trust us to get him out of it.

Archived