BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Deadline day

Tom

As so often is the case nuances and subtexts get lost in the mist of time. What seems to have been forgotten about Neill is that for his first two or three seasons with us he was garbage. He was a ticking timebomb, reckless in the tackle, woeful in possession and often an accident waiting to happen. Funnily enough his form seemed to pick up just before the 2006 World Cup. Australia had qualified.

Following an excellent World Cup Neill was too good for Rovers. It seemed that, as far as he was concerned, he didn't owe us for the crap he regularly produced in his first two or three seasons during which we would have been well within our rights to bin him off. He rewarded Rovers patience by snubbing the club despite being awarded the captaincy and making childish gestures at supporters who had put up with his crap performances during the first part of his career with us. (he also had a hissy fit about the Australia captaincy)

Kean him

Dont think he was poor at all for rovers had a reckless tackle in him but deffo gave 100 percent

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on boys give it a break!! Neill was castigated as one of the first ever big-ish players to run his contract down and leave on a "Bosman" but there's been thousands since. The article previously posted on here proved that he was open and honest about not signing a new contract and then went on to play a full season..I never saw him pull out of a tackle or give less than 100%.

Put some perspective to this matter...

and it's a very selfish move. I most definitely do not want to see him sign for Rovers again. I can forgive a player if it's a step up career wise, I.e. Jones, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Bentley. Not Neil, he was a huge distraction at the time and the club deserved a lot better.

Likewise I would not want Hoilett back.

and it's a very selfish move. I most definitely do not want to see him sign for Rovers again. I can forgive a player if it's a step up career wise, I.e. Jones, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Bentley. Not Neil, he was a huge distraction at the time and the club deserved a lot better.

Bentley???really??

I'd be happy to have Neal as stand by. in our position to get defensive cover experience is a must. He's played at the highest level and can organise a defence something we are lacking and something that when Robinson is NOT in goal to organise we lack.

O.K so he didn't surround himself in glory when he left-but he was trying to get out of a contract and move on. So many players have done that before him for many a club. A career is short and when you think you could/should be earning more etc of course you go for it.

Loyalty is a phrase not readily applied i'm afraid in the modern game amongst many players and contracts-Neal is no different to many.

Lots will not agree. but hey i'd be glad to have him in the side

Welcome back Neal-now do a job and earn your crust and a bit of repect (that is if he is coming back)

**more important than past history is the q. has his legs gone and can he do a job for us?

Fair enough mate, I can't argue with any of that...

I don't think we are. Rem he does have a house in Turton.

Nail on the head there..

I really don't know if Neill would be any good IF he signed tbh but seeing as he's effectively had a three month trial to impress the boss surely we have to trust Bowyer either way?

No one can deny now that he has been a revelation in the transfer market with the turnover of players and most importantly characters.

I trust his judgement on any player that he's watched train for three months!!

As so often is the case nuances and subtexts get lost in the mist of time. What seems to have been forgotten about Neill is that for his first two or three seasons with us he was garbage. He was a ticking timebomb, reckless in the tackle, woeful in possession and often an accident waiting to happen. Funnily enough his form seemed to pick up just before the 2006 World Cup. Australia had qualified.

Following an excellent World Cup Neill was too good for Rovers. It seemed that, as far as he was concerned, he didn't owe us for the crap he regularly produced in his first two or three seasons during which we would have been well within our rights to bin him off. He rewarded Rovers patience by snubbing the club despite being awarded the captaincy and making childish gestures at supporters who had put up with his crap performances during the first part of his career with us. (he also had a hissy fit about the Australia captaincy)

Kean him

I take you are not so keen on lucash then. dont hold back eh. :brfc:

This Greenidge is a U18 player with no 1st team experience so suppose he'd be 1 for the future. We would also need back up for now so maybe we are going to sign Neill as well until summer. The vitriol towards Neill is ridiculous, you might as well put every player who has ever signed for Rovers in the same category. How many have signed for us, over the last 3 years expecially, because we pay more than other teams on our level?

your comparing vidic and lucash?.....what ?really?

im speechless some can...i know i cant. I actually hate him more than any player that has ever left us.He winds me up just to see him.

No I'm comparing the situation. If anything Vidic has messed United about more because in February... yes FERBUARY he has stated that he won't be signing a new contract and will walk out of Old Trafford for free to go and play football for whichever club pays him the most money.

Neill told Rovers in the August that he would not sign a new contract, giving us a year to find a new right back. We even made money on him in the end because he left in the January.

Say what you like but IMO he did all the right things. Expressed his desire to leave whilst maintaining good form and giving 100% to the cause. He never refused to play as so many do.

This is professional football and the days of playing your whole career for one club are gone. Live with it.

Do you also think sticking two fingers up at rovers fans was acceptable ?

If your bird told you she was dumping you and then she told you F off and stuck two fingers up at you on the nations tv .. Would you let her back I'm your life when she coming begging. & crying like a pathetic little hobo?

Some things in my life I ain't fickle over .

I'd be happy to have Neal as stand by. in our position to get defensive cover experience is a must. He's played at the highest level and can organise a defence something we are lacking and something that when Robinson is NOT in goal to organise we lack.

O.K so he didn't surround himself in glory when he left-but he was trying to get out of a contract and move on. So many players have done that before him for many a club. A career is short and when you think you could/should be earning more etc of course you go for it.

Loyalty is a phrase not readily applied i'm afraid in the modern game amongst many players and contracts-Neal is no different to many.

Lots will not agree. but hey i'd be glad to have him in the side

Welcome back Neal-now do a job and earn your crust and a bit of repect (that is if he is coming back)

**more important than past history is the q. has his legs gone and can he do a job for us?

He didn't have to get out of a contract - he could have walked for free with his head held high in the summer. Players demanding that they leave even though they are contractually tied to the club is what gets my goat. Being honest with the club and telling them you won't be re-signing is the most honest and professional way to go about it.

As I've stated earlier, I wonder how much grief Vidic will get now that he's told United he'll leave the club with only 3 months left?

Alan Judge told Notts County he wouldn't be re-signing because he would be joining us this season. Wonder if the County fans were so pathetically childish about it? Chris Taylor the same - wonder if the Millwall fans have banned him from returning to the club.

Do you also think sticking two fingers up at rovers fans was acceptable ?

If your bird told you she was dumping you and then she told you F off and stuck two fingers up at you on the nations tv .. Would you let her back I'm your life when she coming begging. & crying like a pathetic little hobo?

Some things in my life I ain't fickle over .

Do you think booing him every time he touched the ball was acceptable? Or perhaps shouting abuse at him and telling him to '@#/? off'. Hurts when the boots on the other foot doesn't it.

Did you give all of your ex-girlfriends a mutually agreed contract Abbey? I'd say that the comparison there is quite unfathomable if not.

I can't get upset over this, its a fact of life in football. Hendry went & came back, Berg went & came back, Shearer went - and I would have had him back in a heartbeat; but then Im a sentimental and forgiving old sod !

Chris Price and Fred Pick as well.

Archived