BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Deadline day

Tom

Just applying common sense and pragmatism to the situation rather than cutting off my nose to spite my face Len.

Lucas Neill may or may not turn out to play football for us. He is not really in a strong position to pick and choose.... and neither are we! I do know that Brian Clough made a habit of re-inventing wayward players to his and his clubs benefit. I've never seen him cheat / pull out of a challenge / be found wanting on effort which are all pretty high on my personal list of football values. I don't care a fig whether Lucas is an angel or the Devil incarnate. I'd only care about his character anmd personality if he was marrying my daughter.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if he was known to be a bit of a devil then that wouldn't be part of his character and personality would it not ? :)

Anyway he was being robust enough the other night, not frightened of a few meaty challenges on the young Spuds lads. If he signs i may be tempted to play him in his old position at right back which is a big weak point. I know he'd struggle for pace but he'd have rattled the Boro winger on Sat and slowed him up a bit probably and also he'd organise whoever is in front of him to track back in defence. Leaders on the pitch and all that.

Kamy tweeted that Best finds himself in a very similar situation to Salgado when he was here. At a guess, I'd say we're facing giving Newcastle a wedge if he plays a couple of more games for us.

he's only played about 13 games so what the hell are the triggers ? number of tweets ?, bad negotiating on our part, signed on July 2nd 2012 ,was this Shelfy's first "mistake"?

As iv said on Twitter...the decision not to pick Best is a football one based on his attitude and reluctance to adopt a team attitude. Of course finances will be an issue as he may or may not be about to trigger another payment to Newcastle and is probably saving us a fortune in appearance money...but the diff to the Salgado situation is that this is NOT political.

If Best was a team player then they would gladly pay the money...as they did with Dann and do with Rhodes. The fact is that Best has been crap and he has a terrible attitude so if they can save the payment and/or wages then why not?

This is nothing like the Salgado situation.

Kamy tweeted that Best finds himself in a very similar situation to Salgado when he was here. At a guess, I'd say we're facing giving Newcastle a wedge if he plays a couple of more games for us.

Yet one saw fit to continue to promote the club, its fans, its history and maintained an exceptional level of dignity throughout. The other displayed behaviour i would be ashamed to see from my five year old son.

Yet one saw fit to continue to promote the club, its fans, its history and maintained an exceptional level of dignity throughout. The other displayed behaviour i would be the ashamed to see from my five year old son.

Amazing too that the dignified one was the one very hard done too whilst the "five year old" is in a situation purely of his own making...

This information is not about causing a “stir up”.

As people who follow me on twitter will know, I have been one of Best’s biggest critics, slamming his behaviour on a number of occasions. What I have learned does not excuse that behaviour as it has been unprofessional in the extreme. But my understanding is that this is similar situation to what happened with Salgado in terms of it's financial origins. It appears that the decision is motivated firstly by making savings on his wages but also by Gary willing accepting this (now that could be down to him not liking Best’s attitude).

A few on social media have been saying that if he is desperate to play then he should take a pay cut. I am sorry but I just don’t agree with that. It is not Best’s fault that he was given such a ridiculous contract, that is all down to Shebby, Agnew and Shaw. He has made financial commitments based on the contract he has been given. I would be the same, if my employer gave me a guaranteed based huge contract then I would expect them to honour the commitments made in that contract. His performances for Rovers have not merited this kinda of contract but again that is all down to those who approved it.

At this stage this most positive thing for all concerned is that he is moved on, even if it is on loan. It is right that people should criticise his behaviour, it has not been very professional, particularly comments on social media and there is no defending that. But equally it is important to realise that some of it will be born out of the situation that he finds himself in which isn’t entirely all of his own making.

Read what Mani has written Kamy.

I interpret the situation as Rovers would have been happy to pay the extra fee for Best. Who wouldn't if he scored goals and was a team player? We did that with Dann, and we are doing that with Rhodes, because they contributed to the team.

He doesn't fit into the work ethic of this squad, so he doesn't play, and we can save money at the same time. It sounds like the people who have said this is do to with finances are using it as an excuse on Best's behalf. That just clearly isn't the case.

Best and Etuhu still have 2 and a half years of their 30K+ a week contracts. That's about £8 million our cash-strapped club has to pay these two unless Bowyer and co. do something very special!

Best case, pardon the pun, is that Leon is loaned out, he then scores a few and people approach us with an Adebeyor-type offer where they take on a proportion of his wages.

If they are on similar money Etuhu worries me more - he is older than Best and always injured - nobody will want him.

Read what Mani has written Kamy.

I interpret the situation as Rovers would have been happy to pay the extra fee for Best. Who wouldn't if he scored goals and was a team player? We did that with Dann, and we are doing that with Rhodes, because they contributed to the team.

He doesn't fit into the work ethic of this squad, so he doesn't play, and we can save money at the same time. It sounds like the people who have said this is do to with finances are using it as an excuse on Best's behalf. That just clearly isn't the case.

If I told you that he had been asked that question directly today and confirmed that it IS a football decision would this put it to bed?

Like I said before, Venkys actually never hesitate to pay money..and I maintain that this cannot be like Salgado because the characters who orchestrated that debacle are long gone and with GB you get what you see!

Of course there is a financial implication but I know that this isn't the driving factor behind his omission.

The current manager is more than happy to play any player and pay them if they have the right mentality and work hard..best falls very short of this and THAT is the main reason why he won't play him.

If I told you that he had been asked that question directly today and confirmed that it IS a football decision would this put it to bed?

Like I said before, Venkys actually never hesitate to pay money..and I maintain that this cannot be like Salgado because the characters who orchestrated that debacle are long gone and with GB you get what you see!

Of course there is a financial implication but I know that this isn't the driving factor behind his omission.

The current manager is more than happy to play any player and pay them if they have the right mentality and work hard..best falls very short of this and THAT is the main reason why he won't play him.

On this MB........yer avin a laf!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I simply cannot make sense of the Best situation.

Fair enough Bowyer has decided that he doesn't feature in his plans and I think its a good sign that Bowyer has the strength to stand up to Best, drop him from the squad and not back down despite his massive wages. Bowyer has handled Best in the best way possible. No backing down.

What I can't understand is if we can't get rid of him and we don't want him in the first team squad why we therefore don't play Best in the reserves every week. At least make him do something for his money.

Alternatively why don't we just make him available for loan for the rest of the season and we offer to pay 90% or even all of his wages. Send him off to someone like Charlton or Yeovil who will play him. At the very least it gets him out of the door to somewhere he will play and with a bit of luck put him in the shop window for the summer. I can't believe there isn't someone out there who would take him on loan for a few months if his wages are heavily subsidised by Rovers.

Just seems very odd that its now 6 months since he was 'frozen out' and we haven't yet been able to solve the problem.

What's the deal in the contract? Play 14 games and Best gets x amount? Or play 14 games and pay Newcastle x amount? It's hardly a milestone is it. Surely he would have to play more games before any significant contract bonuses were triggered. My guess would be he's expensive to play, i.e appearance fees (+10k each time), that and the manager doesn't feel he's deserving of it... or he simply doesn't fancy him as a player or person. Mind you knowing Venky's Newcastle probably get 500k for every 7 games he plays.

Hopefully he does well and boosts our chances of shifting him on a more permanent basis.

Would be interesting to see Sheff Wednesday's fixtures, if Best can assist them in taking points from the likes of Reading, Brighton, Wigan, Leeds, Burnley, Ipswich etc etc then without doubt he's more use to us in Wednesday's team than he ever could be here..............

so having checked.....

March 2014 This table charts the fixtures in March 2014 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Championship

Sheff Wed V Middlesbrough

Sat 1 Mar 15:00 Show Championship

Yeovil V Sheff Wed

Sat 8 Mar 15:00 Show Championship

Wigan V Sheff Wed

Tue 11 Mar 19:45 Show Championship

Sheff Wed V Birmingham

Sat 15 Mar 15:00 Show Championship

Doncaster V Sheff Wed

Sat 22 Mar 15:00 Show Championship

Sheff Wed V Brighton

Tue 25 Mar 19:45 Show Championship

Sheff Wed V Watford

Sat 29 Mar 15:00

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/leon-leaves-on-loan-1358859.aspx

Leon has gone to Wednesday on loan.. Finally..

Interesting that. Many on here criticised our draw v a rejuvinated Sheff Wednesday (new manager bounce), simply cos they were in the bottom 4 at the time. I made the comment somewhere that we ought to be happy cos I was quite impressed with them and if they'd had a decent striker we'd have been beaten. Seems they've got a half decent one now.

Archived