BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Deadline day

Tom

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just highlights the amateurism we've seen running through the club since Allardyce was sacked and Williams walked. Endless numbers of useless midfielders and only two central defenders. Beggars belief.

If it is all rubbish that's good news but it does highlight that we are just one injury or suspension from being out of options

Are you serious? We need him alright, what team striving to get into the playoffs can take a risk that neither of their only 2 centre-backs won't get injured? Its amateurish AND insane.

We are in a ridicuolous situation where the day before a big game we are looking to bring a player in on loan (if the rumours are true). That alone is fraught with danger. Serious questions need to be asked of Bowyer on this one. Why did Dabo sign when we have a glut of players who can play in that position and the real problem area in the squad wasn't addressed?

Spot on. All great posts summing up the situation. If Kean, Berg or Appleton had done this then everyone would be in uproar. Not sure how anyone can't see how regardless of Hanley's fitness this isn't a poor place to be in.

Everyone seems to be assuming that Bowyer hasn't tried to bring in a reserve centre half already. Just maybe - nobody decent would come to sit on our bench ?

Dont buy that " why leave someone else's bench to sit on our's" argument at all ...... Varney was on Leeds's bench he came in now he's on our's

Spot on AJW. It really is a squad game here and along with free agents, and club situations which are harder to break into than ours, there should not be too much difficulty in finding a third choice center back. Added to which it's not like if they don't play well they won't retain their place, which means although they may have to wait for an opportunity, it's not a guaranteed bench warmer role. Or we could have brought from lower leagues, looking to make an impact at this level. There are plenty of options out there.

Added to which even if it is hard it doesn't make it any less necessary to have someone covering! Not sure that as an excuse washes with any chairman/owner - it's hard to get in center backs as cover, so we didn't get any. Poor show from all concerned including Saint Gary.

Everyone seems to be assuming that Bowyer hasn't tried to bring in a reserve centre half already. Just maybe - nobody decent would come to sit on our bench ?

Who is to say he would just sit on our bench? Kilgallon is hardly an established first teamer yet is he? Looks promising , yes, but you could not say that he has yet made the shirt his own.

Dont buy that " why leave someone else's bench to sit on our's" argument at all ...... Varney was on Leeds's bench he came in now he's on our's

Just because you don't buy it, doesn't mean its not true. Varney wouldn't have been told that he was here to sit on the bench.

Any young loanee from the prem would only ever have been brought in as cover, unless we were loaning with a view to making it permanent.

Welcome to the wacky world of FFP when you are still saddled by 2,5 years of idiocy. Put simply we can't afford to pay somebody half decent to be a backup - if we were top of the League i would of course have a different opinion. For me - either go 3-5-2 or put Spurr CH, Henley LB and Lowe/Kane RB. If the injury is longterm - then bring in somebody.

I just cant believe that there wasnt/isnt a player , any player not just a PL kid , who trains all week knowing he wont be anywhere near the first team on a saturday come what may , wouldnt want to swap that to come to a club were worse case scenario is he part of the subs bench

I just cant believe that there wasnt/isnt a player , any player not just a PL kid , who trains all week knowing he wont be anywhere near the first team on a saturday come what may , wouldnt want to swap that to come to a club were worse case scenario is he part of the subs bench

I'm sure there are too. Just, maybe they're @#/?.

Spot on AJW. It really is a squad game here and along with free agents, and club situations which are harder to break into than ours, there should not be too much difficulty in finding a third choice center back. Added to which it's not like if they don't play well they won't retain their place, which means although they may have to wait for an opportunity, it's not a guaranteed bench warmer role. Or we could have brought from lower leagues, looking to make an impact at this level. There are plenty of options out there.

Added to which even if it is hard it doesn't make it any less necessary to have someone covering! Not sure that as an excuse washes with any chairman/owner - it's hard to get in center backs as cover, so we didn't get any. Poor show from all concerned including Saint Gary.

"Saint Gary"?

Absolutely pathetic

"Saint Gary"?

Absolutely pathetic

If that's all you took from that post, Chris, then you are looking for any reason to lash out.

Once again, everyone else could see what we needed, yet nothing was done. Everyone knew for weeks before that Dann was off to Palace so we had loads of time to prepare. This is simply another example of why we might have been better (this season) with a manager would doesn't need 'L' plates.

And we might have been worse. It's all ifs and buts. We've seen experienced managers mess up because they were the wrong person for the club they went to at that time. We've seen inexperienced managers doing well because what they offer is exactly what's needed at that time. Nobody knows is the main thing. And complaining about the things Bowyer isn't whilst grudgingly acknowledging when he gets things right (I'm not having a go at you here Stuart - I don't remember most of the posts I read on here, but just the general flavour) is getting us precisely nowhere.

The trouble is, like every decision Bowyer makes regarding squad personnel, it will never please everyone. I agree that cover at CB was / is required, but who does he go for? Any player, reserve or first team standard, from a club in the PL will want first team football. Even if the player accepts the bench warming role then its unlikely his parent club will. Whats in it for them?

If we recruited a Championship level CB then, again, its unlikely he'll displace Kilgallon or Hanley and therefore there would be those who moan that we have wasted money on a player who can't get a kick at a club at a similar level to us. It happened with Varney also.

If we go lower league then the usual suspects will say the club lacks ambition. How many times have we read "Buy league One players, play League One football"?

IMO, the best option would be for Bowyer to say he was bringing back the kid from Rochdale. O'Connell is it? Declare that he has done wonderfully well out on loan and the club place great emphasis on giving youth an opportunity. It wouldn't have pleased everyone, but it would tick most boxes.

If that's all you took from that post, Chris, then you are looking for any reason to lash out.

Once again, everyone else could see what we needed, yet nothing was done. Everyone knew for weeks before that Dann was off to Palace so we had loads of time to prepare. This is simply another example of why we might have been better (this season) with a manager would doesn't need 'L' plates.

But we didn't get one did we? Largely, I suspect, because no experienced manager of any worth would come near the Rovers job with a barge pole. Most of understand that in an ideal world we would have started the season with an experienced manager with a track record. We didn't for one reason or another so, most of us, support the manager we have as he needs the support and is doing quite well in trying circumstances.

Some of us however, choose to slag off the manager for reasons best known to themselves.

"Saint Gary"?

Absolutely pathetic

Thanks Stuart.

Chris, if you read my numerous posts, you'll see that I give credit to Bowyer where it is due, and criticism where it is due to. I get frustrated when GB is exempt from criticism especially when he's involved in dropping a clanger like this. One question: Do you honestly think that only having two center halves on the books/available is acceptable for any professional football team?

And before saying that we didn't have the time. resources, energy, we brought in Dabo and Varney, even though we've 4 defensive mids in the squad, and have Rhodes, Gestede, Dunn, and King who can play up front - added to which you can play with only one up front. You can't do that at center back.

And let's be honest it cost us today.

One question: Do you honestly think that only having two center halves on the books/available is acceptable for any professional football team?

And before saying that we didn't have the time. resources, energy, we brought in Dabo and Varney, even though we've 4 defensive mids in the squad, and have Rhodes, Gestede, Dunn, and King who can play up front - added to which you can play with only one up front. You can't do that at center back.

And let's be honest it cost us today.

Spot on to expect to go from February to May with just two centre backs is ridiculous especially when you consider the amount of game in that time with the amount of games in that time now as well we have a lot of Saturday Tuesday games or Sunday Wednesday as it is next week and game like that you are going to get injuries. And I know it was Hanley injured for todays game but over his career Killgallon's injury record is horrendous, so we were always unlikely to get through with just using two.

Archived