BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Deadline day

Tom

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it's just rank bad management to be signing players at this time of year. Half the signings we have made this season are total duds who we have loaned out and had to bring in emergency loans to replace them. It's a joke and just shows how out of control our spending still is.

• Backroom

Taylor is decent I think

Anyone else think at times it seems Bowyer just takes anyone he can sign without particular rhyme or reason?

I suppose they are in the low risk category and if a few pay off its worthwhile

Taylor is decent I think

Anyone else think at times it seems Bowyer just takes anyone he can sign without particular rhyme or reason?

Yes Tom. He must have brought in 18 or 19 players now, which I find utterly ridiculous. You know, a lot of fans think Bowyer has had it tough, supposedly having been starved of money. However, on the 18 or 19 occasions he's gone to Venky's and asked permission to sign these players, he's always been given the green light. On the contrary, he's a very lucky guy.

That's how it looks to me. Probably got a list of available loan players, checked their attributes on FM and picked the phone up.

The more I see Taylor, the more I think that he was a poor signing, he has very little ability and there is some myth that he provides good defensive cover which isn't really true. Judge is much better than Taylor yet seemingly Bowyer doesn't agree.

Every time I've seen Taylor play well he's been playing in a 5 man midfield. He doesn't look suited to rh side of a 4 man midfield. Last week he was awful at Bolton and made for Henley to suffer a real ragging by Bolton's left side.

Taylor is decent I think

Which players are you thinking of :

Judge & Marrow - IMO they were brought in to get more "home grown" talent in the squad - help build team spirit. In Judge's case - on a free transfer and wanting to come to Rovers a good purchase

Taylor - good squad player

Evans and Cairney - excellent signings

Gestede - brought in to add height

Marshall - only big money signing - starting to look the business before injured

Conway - only brought in because Marshall got injured - like for like - and looks a decent signing

Kane - Henley coming from injury at start of season

Keane - we will find out tomorrow

Varney - yet to be convinced - but offers something different to Rhodes and Gestede

Feeney - badly lacking pace in the side, probably just a stop gap until King is fully fit.

I know that isn't all of the players he has brought in - but to me it looks like he has a plan - and each player has some justification

Judge & Marrow - IMO they were brought in to get more "home grown" talent in the squad - help build team spirit. In Judge's case - on a free transfer and wanting to come to Rovers a good purchase

Marshall - only big money signing - starting to look the business before injured

Conway - only brought in because Marshall got injured - like for like - and looks a decent signing

Varney - yet to be convinced - but offers something different to Rhodes and Gestede

Feeney - badly lacking pace in the side, probably just a stop gap until King is fully fit.

I know that isn't all of the players he has brought in - but to me it looks like he has a plan - and each player has some justification

No it isn't a plan - and there's about another eight you haven't mentioned DMTP.

The number of players on our books, including those in and out on loan -all of whom have been available to Bowyer at some point - must be tremendous. I'll tell you what a decent plan is, it's having a squad of around 16/17 quality or at least experienced players + a couple of good utility players. A close knit group of players all with the chance of making a decent amount of appearances in a season. Saves a bit on wages as well.

How can you justify the signing of Marrow and Songo. One is now on loan in league two and one at Ross County, if they are part of the plan then god help us.

There's only justification if they improve the side. I'd say 4 probably do that...and if anyone can give me a reason why we signed Dabo and Songo I'd be most grateful.

Let's face it, if Bowyer had a plan he wouldn't be acquiring a centre half at the 11th hour and thrusting him into a 'must not lose' derby game.

Bowyer has had a huge budget compared to most other teams in this division and he can't hide from the fact that he has bought in at least 4 players who are considered so sub standard that they have already been loaned out. We can't carry on signing players and then if we don't like them binning them and bringing someone else in. Our wage bill is still out of control imo.

Someone above rates Judge as a good signing..... good for the team he is playing for maybe because we are paying most of his wages,,,,, don't see how he can be a good signing for us though.

Regarding our players that have gone on loan I can only assume that the the team's that they are currently loaned out to are paying most of the wages (and it's mostly a financial thing) otherwise some of the goings on do seem a bit bizarre - arguably a couple of our recent acquisitions are only of the same if not lower standard than some of the players we've loaned out.

spot on here. these appeared to be the reason why we signed this players.

Feeney has been brought in to add pace to the team which we have lacked since King been out.

Keane has experience at this level and as in Leicester team last season which reach the playoffs.

Conway was a low cost signing but very good player and bring in experience and knowhow to the squad.

No it isn't a plan - and there's about another eight you haven't mentioned DMTP.

The number of players on our books, including those in and out on loan -all of whom have been available to Bowyer at some point - must be tremendous. I'll tell you what a decent plan is, it's having a squad of around 16/17 quality or at least experienced players + a couple of good utility players. A close knit group of players all with the chance of making a decent amount of appearances in a season. Saves a bit on wages as well.

Eastwood - was brought in on free transfer and back up keeper to Kean whilst Robinson was injured.

DJ Campbell - wasn't a Bowyer signing as the deal was done by Appleton before he was sacked. will hopefully sign for Millwall permanent in the summer.

Marrow - was brought in a squad player and nothing more. was probably leave this summer.

Judge - squad player. IMO, he left in January for Brentford cos he wanted more first team football then he was getting at Rovers.

Kilgallon - been a good player so far. free transfer and experience. good replacement for Dann. Every good deal by Bowyer

Songo'o - was signed on a free transfer. look decent in pre season. was a risk but probably not good enough. only 1 year left on contract come the summer.

Of course Bowyer is the only manager ever to make mistakes in the transfer market... :unsure:

FFS - he's rebuilding from scratch, if people genuinely believe that only 4 of his signings have improved the squad in terms of footballing ability, economic viability and work ethic then someone is on drugs - wonder if it's me... If the best argument that his transfer record is patchy is that 2 of 18 players have not been up to standard then have a little chat with Levy at Spurs about what constitutes incompetence in the transfer market :tu:

Of course Bowyer is the only manager ever to make mistakes in the transfer market... :unsure:

FFS - he's rebuilding from scratch, if people genuinely believe that only 4 of his signings have improved the squad in terms of footballing ability, economic viability and work ethic then someone is on drugs - wonder if it's me... If the best argument that his transfer record is patchy is that 2 of 18 players have not been up to standard then have a little chat with Levy at Spurs about what constitutes incompetence in the transfer market :tu:

Take it you will be at ewood tommorow to tell fans .

Regarding our players that have gone on loan I can only assume that the the team's that they are currently loaned out to are paying most of the wages (and it's mostly a financial thing) otherwise some of the goings on do seem a bit bizarre - arguably a couple of our recent acquisitions are only of the same if not lower standard than some of the players we've loaned out.

I doubt Ross Co (eg) are paying more than 25%of Songo's wages and the others are probably similar.

• Backroom

So if we have a solid plan why bring in an attacking midfielder in Dabo and stick him in the reserves whilst having 2 fit centre halves one of which is injury prone, most of us pointed out this was a recipe for disaster.

The manager didn't action it until too late and potentially cost us a battering.

You say marrow was brought in as a squad player but was that the plan as he started at the start of the season and proved himself to be crap, Eastwood is marginally better than Kean but so am I, Songo'o by all accounts can use his head but not his legs, Judge looks like a pointless addition as well.

The positives are when he gets it right he smashes it out of the park so maybe there is something to say for the scattergun approach

Is that the best you can do?

Unfortunately i am working tomorrow - in my home country about 900 miles (as the crow flies) from Ewood but i will be following on radio rovers, checking in on here and then on monday watch the highlights before watching the entire 90 minutes on rovers player when they get round to putting it up. If there is a stream anywhere then i will watch it even if it means listening to chinese commentary while trying to think about share options...

Come on Abbs, he's in Sweden. He cannot attend Ewood like you attend your beloved Broncos home games in person. :closedeyes:

So if we have a solid plan why bring in an attacking midfielder in Dabo and stick him in the reserves whilst having 2 fit centre halves one of which is injury prone, most of us pointed out this was a recipe for disaster.

The manager didn't action it until too late and potentially cost us a battering.

isn't Dabo a defensive midfielder??? But I'm not sure why he was bought in for.

you are right to say that Rovers should have brought in a centre back before now. maybe Keane was his target but Utd wouldn't let him out on loan unless he was playing regular football. will do now Kilgallon is out now

bringing Keane in is a good signing. not sure we come have bought in him this week before Friday with him on International duties with England under 21's.

Archived