BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boro v Rovers - 8th Feb, KO 3 pm, Riverside Stadium

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember a game where we took a decent following there. Can't remember what year but remember Jason Roberts missing a chance to win it. It might of been a 0-0 but think that's the only time in recent years we've took a good following there

Around 1500 the time Santa Cruz and Derbyshire scored, not to shabby.

Butty, was that the game where Grella almost scored too? Amazingly I think he played the whole 90 mins.

Just noticed we've been moved as well - away fans have always been in the South stand (behind a goal) but now we're in half of the East stand.

I think you may be right! Not 100% though which is surprising because if Grella played a full 90 minutes I don't know how I'd be able too forget the game.

Only sold 400 according to the OneRovers twitter feed, which is pretty poor in my opinion - dread to think how many will make the trip to Bolton given that tickets are £28 (lower) and £33 (upper) :blink:

It's not just the price that puts me off the Reebok. It's a horrible place to go away from home. Last time I went there was group of us. Got the train to preston and had a good chat and a few beers, all going well.

Then got the train to Bolton, not allowed in any pubs unless you walk up to the big one on the roundabout, no beer sold in the ground either. I'm not a ridiculous drinker by an stretch but when I'm at football I do enjoy a beer. Anyway. After the game we tried again to find a beer. The very few pubs available were all Notlob ST only. Waiting for the train was hideous, about an hour and a half wait before we got on one.

All in all got to Preston at about 7:15/7:30, having not had a beer for 5 hours. The hangover had set in and the day fizzled out. Horrible. Plus the fact we'd been beaten (2-1 after the Muamba thing).

I can remember a game where we took a decent following there. Can't remember what year but remember Jason Roberts missing a chance to win it. It might of been a 0-0 but think that's the only time in recent years we've took a good following there

Allardyce first season in charge. Was it boxing day or new year? Literally an open goal for Roberts who missed it. God he was poor.

Getting a tad worried about the depth of our squad now. No King means we're looking a bit thin up top and on the wings, as well as being down to only 2 center backs. If we lose any more players we could be in for a bit of a struggle (or a lot of action in the loan market.)

I'm honestly not sure how to call Rovers at the moment. Every time you think they're on a decent run and should win games easily (Blackpool aside) they go mess it up. And when faced with a tough fixture we should get little out of we go get something from it. Madness.

Given our form has been poor of late, we're not amazing away from home. and Boro are a decent team - all the signs point to us losing. Which means we'll probably get a draw if not sneak a win.

Really hope Dunn's fit because if Cairney is shunted out wide, I'm a bit worried about who else would create the chances for Ruddy and Rhodes. They seem to be working really well together, and if we can capitalize on this partnership it would give most teams trouble. Outside of that, can't see us having much wide play, so packing the center and having 3 up front may well work best.

A couple more draws or losses in the next few games and the season would well and truly be over. That to me would be too big an ask to get into the playoffs. Shame, as we really had a chance to kick on this season.

My all time fav away day that involves bit of traveling is Newcastle great crack great night out. But the rest of the north east Sunderland, Middlesbrough, hull, Grimsby is well depressing stuff. May be wrong but think their ground is built on condemned toxic land says it all really.

That said on last visit to riverside we found few decent boozers and the locals were nice.

As for the game like someone above said is like to see Taylor (in spite of poor bpool performance, Lowe, cairney, Conway but you just know Lowe Williamson will break your heart.

1-1 Rhodes.

The new ground is in a horrible location. I remember 1 time in the 80s we had 4 or 5,000 at Aytesome for a top of the table clash. Can't remember anything about it apart from the away end being packed. Best place for pre match is Darlington I reckon, plenty of good pubs aound the station and 30 minutes from Boro on the train.

Went to that game with 4 others, got ticket in the stand to the right of the Rovers fans, then a steward noticed we were Rovers fans and moved us to the away end which was packed, so we had to sit on the steps and there were loads of other Rovers fans doing the same, so the end was packed.

They had Tony mowbray and Garry Pallister in defence and hadn't conceded a goal in ages and from memory Simon Garner scored with a header ( I know a header!) then Bernie Slaven equalized.

After the match there was loads of trouble, with bricks coming over as we walked down the steps out of the ground and some lads I recognized from Mill Hill, stood on top of the corrugated divide asking for trouble.

Mad but good days!

We have been a tad unfortunate with injuries this year. On paper Conway, Marshall, Lowe, Evans, Williamson, King, Taylor and Dunn should be enough. In fact if we get to a point when they are all fit we have the makings of a good championship midfield. Lets hope Evans does get fit and finds form. Hopefully then we wont see Williamson and Lowe together for me it is either or but not both. The thing is both play better when they do have a player alongside them who is more comfortable on the ball. In fact I really rate Lowe then. I suspect when fit we will see Evans and lowe in the middle and Cairney and Conway out wide.

If Armageddon doesn't happen in summer then next year it could be a real fight for a place in the team. Could be quite an attacking team with say Conway and Marshall wide and Evans Cairney in the middle. Or a 5 man mid with Lowe playing holding role and Evans Cairney pushing on and dictating things.

No doubt in my mind if we had started the season with the squad we now have fit then we would be in the play offs.

Whatever Bowyers weaknesses each transfer period he seems to strengthen the squad. The addition of Conway in my view really was excellent business - player that I really do rate highly for this league. Gestede adds a lot but in truth didn't know enough about him but looks a good partner for Rhodes but also hes a player im quite comfortable seeing on his own upfront if required because in my view a midfield of Conway Marshall Evans Cairney and Lowe will dominate a good number of teams in this league. Lets hope at some point we see those all fit.

For this game Im a bit worried as the loss of King now as well as Marshall and the fact that Taylor has not had his best games out wide but Cairney perfoming well out wide could see the return for this game of Williamson. I hope not. The thing is although Taylor may not quite have the same impact out wide as Cairney there is a definite knock effect to how Lowe plays. I genuinely believe when Lowe knows he is the main defensive midfielder he steps up his game as he did against Blackpool. His all round game improves. Until Marshall returns I would be happy to see him alongside Evans with Cairney wide. Saying that when hes fit and playing you have to give Dunn some game time and Taylor has had some good games although not so good against Blackpool. So Bowyer is going to have some interesting decisions to make.

God Im waffling! Think I will stop there!

In the next window definitely need another CB and striker.

Went to that game with 4 others, got ticket in the stand to the right of the Rovers fans, then a steward noticed we were Rovers fans and moved us to the away end which was packed, so we had to sit on the steps and there were loads of other Rovers fans doing the same, so the end was packed.

They had Tony mowbray and Garry Pallister in defence and hadn't conceded a goal in ages and from memory Simon Garner scored with a header ( I know a header!) then Bernie Slaven equalized.

After the match there was loads of trouble, with bricks coming over as we walked down the steps out of the ground and some lads I recognized from Mill Hill, stood on top of the corrugated divide asking for trouble.

Mad but good days!

It was Boxing Day. It was a great game and very tasty in and around the ground.

I'm going for 2-1 win for Rovers with Rhodes and Hanley scoring.

MY TEAM would be:- Robinson; Kane, Hanley, Kilgallon, Spurr; Taylor, Cairney, Lowe, Conway; Gestede, Rhodes.

subs:- Eastwood, Henley, Morris, Evans, Dunn, Williamson, Varney(if signed on loan tomorrow before the game)

For Me, Dunn wasn't our best player last week IMO. Dunn was good but not the best player on the pitch for me. scored a very good goal tho.

I thought Kane(my MOTM), Lowe and Gestede were better.

Plus I want to play Conway on the wing and play 2 strikers so 4-4-2 is the formation I would go for. Dunn cannot play on the wing or in 2 man midfield IMO. #

Best wont play for Rovers again IMO. I think Kamy, Mani and Alan Nixon have all said this in recent weeks and Kamy on the BRFCS Podcast

Why drop our best player from last week in Dunn? He has to start, plus I would have Best as a sub.

If Dunn had played a full ninety he would have been nailed on for the MOM him Robinson along with Hanley looked the only prem players on the pitch.

Agree about Best also.

I did think about going to Boro when we were in the championship in 2000/1 but decided against.

Dave now you know one of the reasons why I want to escape the rat race of East London.

Over here in East London we have a ground that is also lifeless dreadful on the road to nowhere also in a thoroughly depressing part of East London,and isn't it ironic how every team that plays in claret and blue the area turns out to be a total dump.

The area in question is West Ham it has a nice ring to it West Ham the Middlesboro of london.

Not meaning to go off topic or offend anyone but I take it you're aware that blackburn doesn't resemble the hanging gardens of babylon?

That's the rivers of Babylon. Blackburn may not be beautiful, but it's still a world away frm the area around the Riverside. The grime from the steelworks all over Teesside still permeates the air across the whole of the town and the area, though most of the industry has been gone since I left home in the early 70s. When I was a kid growing up there I never really thought about it but having lived elsewhere I find it the most depressing place to go back to.

Dunn's goal last week showed why he has to start, if fit.

We know he won't last 90 minutes but starting on the pitch rather than the bench means he can impact on the formative stages of the game.

Who else could've scored that type of goal for us?

The problem as I see it is that the system we played last week wouldn't really be suited to playing away at a good attacking side like Middlesbrough. Blackpool were never really going to trouble us but with the quality Middlesbrough have they will pick us off if we are gung-ho. I expect to see a more cautious approach nd a team and system to reflect that.

* Reaches for tin hat

In a tight game played in midfield I would drop the injured king for Conway and play Rudy up front with Dunny in behind...resting (not dropping) Rhodes who to me looks tired and out of sorts..perhaps a "rest" will rejuvenate him and give him the proverbial kick up the backside? He's missed some sitters recently by his standards!!

Robbo

Kane, Hanley, Killa, Spurr

Taylor, Lowe, Cairney, Conway

Dunn

Rudy

This formation keeps that creativity in the side and an extra pair of albeit old (sorry Dunny) legs in the side!!

I'm going for 2-1 win for Rovers with Rhodes and Hanley scoring.

MY TEAM would be:- Robinson; Kane, Hanley, Kilgallon, Spurr; Taylor, Cairney, Lowe, Conway; Gestede, Rhodes.

subs:- Eastwood, Henley, Morris, Evans, Dunn, Williamson, Varney(if signed on loan tomorrow before the game)

That's not half bad, Chaddy. My preferred team would have Lowe on the bench as cover for Evans but he's probably not quite ready to start.

Archived