BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boro v Rovers - 8th Feb, KO 3 pm, Riverside Stadium

Ok just going of twitter rumours and nixons tweets to chaddy people saying rhodes signing new contract...if thats the case and theres no release close it would be excellent.if we can keep this squad together for next season think we can actually be real strong contenders...but to that we will need Rhodes to stay another season

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't at the game but would like to make a general point.

People keep going on about bad tactics (and I've been frustrated at Ewood many times this season), but could it not be that because this team has still only had a few months together, GB is using this time to experiment and gauge what various players can do in a game situation? Let's not forget that 'Gestede on the right' worked quite well against Leeds away.

What do they do in training ? That's the time to experiment with formations.

A quote from a bloke last night who was there said "whatever players are started and whatever the formation the tactics seem to be the same" . We stand off from front to back from the off and are lightweight so teams go at us.

Your mate's dead right.

Since the turn of the year Jr cannot be described as our 'main chance'..... Unless perhaps if we got a penalty.

I did finish my post about if your main goal threat is scratching for luck then your manager needs another option but I maintain many would question him for taking him off whilst looking for a goal.

Whilst Rhodes' drought continues then Bowyer is going to have to change him. Dropping him is not going to do his confidence any good.

As you've said before if you take Rhodes goals away he is technically a poor player with little pace who contributes very little but all goal poachers go through phases of not scoring. A lucky goal will probably mean banging in a dozen more goals.

Take away Rhodes' goals and what do you have? Moaning Rovers fans.

Rhodes scores and what do you have? Moaning Rovers fans.

If we had Ings and McCormack we'd have ruined them too, but it's laughable to say that he doesn't contribute when he doesn't score. Laughable! Just ask Gestede.

Whilst Bowyer continues with this relatively new philosophy (since he covered his bathroom carpet in bathwater, and discovered the travesty that is the Lowe-Williamson partnership) of negative, cautionary football, we aren't going to get the best out of Rhodes.

Playing a 442 with Dunn AND Cairney in midfield isn't exactly conservative. It does suggest, however, that Bowyer still doesn't know his best eleven. Anyway, a decent point on the road. It's home form what matters most, and unfortunately we've dropped too many points against lesser teams this season.

To blame the Lowe-Williamson partnership on Rhodes' lack of goals and form is missing the point. I made a point of watching Rhodes more closely yesterday and it is sad to report that he contributed absolutely nothing to the team effort. It has been noted before but I think the problem is Rhodes is fundamentally lazy.He just does not seem to understand that in the modern era strikers have to work hard when they do not have the ball. It is this fundamental flaw in his game that it is the reason he is not playing in the Premier League and he is unlikely to do in the future either.

To blame the Lowe-Williamson partnership on Rhodes' lack of goals and form is missing the point. I made a point of watching Rhodes more closely yesterday and it is sad to report that he contributed absolutely nothing to the team effort. It has been noted before but I think the problem is Rhodes is fundamentally lazy.He just does not seem to understand that in the modern era strikers have to work hard when they do not have the ball. It is this fundamental flaw in his game that it is the reason he is not playing in the Premier League and he is unlikely to do in the future either.

I've watched JR closely since we paid 8 million for him and imo we paid way too much. So frustrating cos his weakness is doing the bread and butter stuff that a striker from the conference could do. Sussed out and dropped by Strachan he needs to put a real shift in or he'll be sussed out and dropped here as well...... that is of course if the owners will allow it.

Take away Rhodes' goals and what do you have? Moaning Rovers fans.

Rhodes scores and what do you have? Moaning Rovers fans.

If we had Ings and McCormack we'd have ruined them too, but it's laughable to say that he doesn't contribute when he doesn't score. Laughable! Just ask Gestede.

Whilst Bowyer continues with this relatively new philosophy (since he covered his bathroom carpet in bathwater, and discovered the travesty that is the Lowe-Williamson partnership) of negative, cautionary football, we aren't going to get the best out of Rhodes.

It is too much of a generalisation to depict Rovers fans as moaners in respect of Rhodes. For the group I speak to regularly yesterday's match was the culmination of a string of poor performances from Rhodes who was poor in the extreme and more worryingly didn't look interested. When Kean was making errors earlier in the season the criticism of him was universal. Rhodes is no different, he is giving us nothing at the moment so he should be dropped. On his day he can undoubtedly win us games but recently he has been a passenger. With options now he should be benched until his form/attitude improves.

better get rid then

It is too much of a generalisation to depict Rovers fans as moaners in respect of Rhodes. For the group I speak to regularly yesterday's match was the culmination of a string of poor performances from Rhodes who was poor in the extreme and more worryingly didn't look interested. When Kean was making errors earlier in the season the criticism of him was universal. Rhodes is no different, he is giving us nothing at the moment so he should be dropped. On his day he can undoubtedly win us games but recently he has been a passenger. With options now he should be benched until his form/attitude improves.

hows it going to improve on the bench ?

better get rid then

hows it going to improve on the bench ?

Like any good professional he should get back on the training ground, work hard and wait for his opportunity and when it comes take it. Players can get in the comfort zone and need a kick up the backside.

What would you suggest then?

For some reason Rovers were on the back foot from the start yesterday and never really got into the match as an attacking force. However most players put in one heck of a defensive shift to keep it 0-0 while one players seemed to think he was above it all and ambled around to very little effect. Bowyer needs to drop him IMO, at least for away games.

Ah, back to the scapegoating of Rhodes. Wondered how long that would take. *checks pocket watch*

Wasn't at the game, so can't fully comment, but it sounds like we created the square root of Jack. Why aren't the likes of Dunn, Cairney or Taylor et al copping any flak for this stalemate?

Ah, back to the scapegoating of Rhodes. Wondered how long that would take. *checks pocket watch*

Wasn't at the game, so can't fully comment, but it sounds like we created the square root of Jack. Why aren't the likes of Dunn, Cairney or Taylor et al copping any flak for this stalemate?

There is hardly any criticism of his lack of goals. Most of the criticism from the fans who go is his attitude and general lack of effort.

Sorry but that's garbage.

How many games since Leeds on New Years Day can you say that he worked as hard as he had in previous games? I have always supported him and argued that he does work hard and is an asset. Since the turn of the year something has not been quite right and if you can't see that then we must be watching different games.

• Moderation Lead

How many games since Leeds on New Years Day can you say that he worked as hard as he had in previous games? I have always supported him and argued that he does work hard and is an asset. Since the turn of the year something has not been quite right and if you can't see that then we must be watching different games.

Gestede's arrival and good form put his nose out of joint?

Archived