BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utter rubbish. Look at the history of these fixtures. Burnley win some, we win some. The fact that we have hardly played them for the past thirty odd years has given some a superiority complex. Clearly, you don't remember the excellent games in the sixties when Burnley and Rovers regularly beat each other. Perhaps Jack Marshall was a bad manager for actually allowing Burnley to do the "double" over the Rovers. I really despair of our fanbase at times.

Parson, you might not be doing it on purpose, but your 'I've been a fan longer than you act' is beginning to become a right pain in the ring.

The Burnley defeat hurt, really bloody hurt. But you know what hurt most? The fact that, regardless of history, we should still never ever have lost that game.

You continue to talk of how the club has been dismantled over the past few years - fine, but, the game is about 11 v 11 and after that manager v manager. I don't feel that we came up short 11 v 11 but manager v manager we were miles away. It was a derby ffs, where was the passion?

Bowyer was out managed then and has been on countless occasions this season. You think he's got a long term plan, I think he's floundering.

You appear to want a return to the bad old days just so the young whipper snappers can witness what you did. Well, I'd say most of us are well prepared for it after what's gone on over the past few years. You can talk all you want of seeing it all before, it doesn't mean you are a bigger fan or you care more. We're all bloody hurting, and that Burnley defeat was the deepest cut. So far anyway.

I'm sure the point has already been raised, but if they did fire Bowyer off at the end of the season (which I can't see happening), does anybody really think the owners would put their hand in their pocket and employee the services of a manager with a proven record of getting clubs out of this very average league? That's assuming someone of that calibre would want to work for the owners?

Just a thought...

I'm sure the point has already been raised, but if they did fire Bowyer off at the end of the season (which I can't see happening), does anybody really think the owners would put their hand in their pocket and employee the services of a manager with a proven record of getting clubs out of this very average league? That's assuming someone of that calibre would want to work for the owners?

Just a thought...

keep mentioning these points Andy.

I see Bowyer here for next season

Can't believe this topic is still going.

It's simple! If Bowyer gets sacked we can NOT trust Venky's to replace him with anyone better.

They've never made a good appointment. Bowyer is the best one they've made and he's doing a good job under difficult circumstances so give him a break, the players obviously like him.

When he loses the dressing room then come back here and rant about how he should be sacked, until then get a reality check people!

It's simple! If Bowyer gets sacked we can NOT trust Venky's to replace him with anyone better.

They've never made a good appointment. Bowyer is the best one they've made and he's doing a good job under difficult circumstances so give him a break, the players obviously like him.

When he loses the dressing room then come back here and rant about how he should be sacked, until then get a reality check people!

You've hit one major issue bang on the money IMO.

'Gaz' should be 'Gaffer' and 'liked' needs to be changed to respected.

Parson your turning into a venky fan hating patronising oik.What makes you ,chaddy , Bucks & spark superior fans than fans who see the true venky light .

I don't think I am a superior fan. I think every supporter is entitled to their views.

You on the other hand attack any fan who mentions anything positive about what is going on at the club.

Surely not respecting that others can have different views to you suggests you think you are a superior fan?!

I don't think I am a superior fan. I think every supporter is entitled to their views.

You on the other hand attack any fan who mentions anything positive about what is going on at the club.

Surely not respecting that others can have different views to you suggests you think you are a superior fan?!

I'm a realistic fan

On a side note footy means nothing in the grand scheme of life .

I'm a realistic fanOn a side note footy means nothing in the grand scheme of life .

I am also realistic. I know what we have been through, and that it may still end the club. I know venkys had a big part in that.

I just try and also support what I think are small positive steps made this season. Even though I don't know if it is now too little too late.

I also don't like the continued venky-hate because I can't see anyone else funding us if Venkys leave - who else would be mad enough?! Certainly don't love them though - wish they had left John Williams to run us from the start.

Agree with you that football isn't the be all and end all. Just feels like it sometimes!

Just a thought...

The question (that has already been asked) is should Bowyer be given another season (with all the variables of what might happen in the close season and beyond regarding funding). It's a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

Parson your turning into a venky fan hating patronising oik.

What makes you ,chaddy , Bucks & spark superior fans than fans who see the true venky light .

As has been said Abbey... all things considered (all things = the hatred of the Rao family for all they have been party to) just where do you think we'd be without them? (and before the 'don't care ect' is plied out... this is about replacing the manager because of his mediocrity to make our club more successful). Look at Leeds, Birmingham, Coventry.

What difficult circumstances are you referring to? Bowyer is under scrutiny because of his managerial record and his poor tactics/team selection.

Not been on the site much recently so haven't read all the posts in all the topics but from what I have seen on this thread the criticism of Parson and Chaddy is extremely unfair and OTT.

True Chaddy never sees anything bad in any individual happening or result and would draw the positives out of a 5-0 defeat. However his unfailing optimism and support should be applauded in my eyes and whilst I might not agree with Parson on the level of progress being made at the current time I wholeheartedly agree with his basic stance that you stick with your Club through thick and thin. And we've had far thinner times than this in the past and I don't think pointing that out makes you a bore or a patronising fan.

Where I do worry though is that after 12 months in charge, do we or GB know our preferred formation/style of play or our best eleven players? It wouldn't appear so and the constant influx of new players and exodus or freezing out of of others tends to pose more questions than it answers imo. Despite the fact recent results have been disappointing, is there a pattern emerging and are we playing particularly well in a manner which gives cause for optimism next season? Again I would say not.

I hesitate to say that GB should be replaced at this stage but if he's still in charge next season I would want to see an immediate and very marked improvement. "Stability" is all well and good and a worthwhile aspiration if you're top of the Premiership, if you're anywhere else "improvement" or "progress" should be the watchword and if you're almost exactly half way down the second tier like we are, there's plenty of scope for that.

Just a thought...

Again. Venkys have shrivelled up and left the club to run itself, haven't they?

This means that it's Shelfy and our new board of directors in charge of recruitment, doesn't it?

Can they not be trusted to pick out an alternative manager - Burnley and Wigan managed to. When the time comes they are going to have to anyway.

For some reason, people have got it into their heads that 'Gaz' is unsackable. If we go on a ten game run early next season that takes us to the bottom of the league 'Gaz' will be unsackable still? Because, whatever happens, it will be the same people involved in finding a replacement. If they are incapable then we are goosed.

It's a hollow argument and a poor reason to keep a manager. (If and when the time comes).

What makes you ,chaddy , Bucks & spark superior fans than fans who see the true venky light .

Your posts sum you up sometimes; require no reaction or reply because you make yourself look stupid. I've tried to explain this to you before

Your wasting your time pal; A few people will not accept this point. Not only do they effectively put every single on field mistake at the door of the gaffa, they also ignore the fact that THE LOONS FROM PUNE ARE IN CONTROL OF THE CLUB.

Again. Venkys have shrivelled up and left the club to run itself, haven't they?

This means that it's Shelfy and our new board of directors in charge of recruitment, doesn't it?

Can they not be trusted to pick out an alternative manager - Burnley and Wigan managed to. When the time comes they are going to have to anyway.

For some reason, people have got it into their heads that 'Gaz' is unsackable. If we go on a ten game run early next season that takes us to the bottom of the league 'Gaz' will be unsackable still? Because, whatever happens, it will be the same people involved in finding a replacement. If they are incapable then we are goosed.

It's a hollow argument and a poor reason to keep a manager. (If and when the time comes).

and who better to show how people just do not get it it. The boards at the clubs you mentioned actually followed a process to hire the manager involving interviews and applications with a committee picking the choice. Headed by Whealan at Wigan. WHo do we have in the club capable of this? The last interview process was headed by Shebby Singh....

I hope your ready for Hendry and Mcphilips.

edit -

Just to add - this website has today reminded me that in a debate - if you start personally abusing the person (or parson) with alternative views, you automatically win and become king of the forum.

So supporting your club makes me a venky fan? There are times when I really do despair. It seems as though anyone who wants to be optimistic has to be treated as if they are winding others up. We know the Rao family have destroyed what we had. But there is still a Blackburn Rovers playing in Blue & White at Ewood Park. At the moment I personally feel that Gary is doing a decent job and would like him to continue next season. Clearly wanting the club to do well seems to have made me a venky fan - not quite sure how.

Parson, you might not be doing it on purpose, but your 'I've been a fan longer than you act' is beginning to become a right pain in the ring.

The Burnley defeat hurt, really bloody hurt. But you know what hurt most? The fact that, regardless of history, we should still never ever have lost that game.

You continue to talk of how the club has been dismantled over the past few years - fine, but, the game is about 11 v 11 and after that manager v manager. I don't feel that we came up short 11 v 11 but manager v manager we were miles away. It was a derby ffs, where was the passion?

Bowyer was out managed then and has been on countless occasions this season. You think he's got a long term plan, I think he's floundering.

You appear to want a return to the bad old days just so the young whipper snappers can witness what you did. Well, I'd say most of us are well prepared for it after what's gone on over the past few years. You can talk all you want of seeing it all before, it doesn't mean you are a bigger fan or you care more. We're all bloody hurting, and that Burnley defeat was the deepest cut. So far anyway.

My point LDRover, and admittedly not very well put, is that football is, as you say 11 v 11 and on the day you win some, you lose some and you draw some. My objection to the earlier post of Jal was that a manager losing to Burnley would lose the respect of the Blackburn public. I couldn't see any logic in that remark and still don't.

Do I want a return to the "bad old days". No. However, history does have a habit of repeating itself and one can see a road we have travelled down before looming ahead. I don't claim to be a "bigger" fan - whatever that is. It seems that anyone who takes a different view of things is immediately accused of that. The fact is that I have seen the Rovers lose to Burnley on many occasions in the past and so the recent defeat wasn't anything new to me and so didn't have the same impact. When I first started watching the Rovers the Burnley match was more of a friendly rivalry compared with the state that things are in today - hence while I want to beat them it's not the same matter of life or death as it is to some.

As for Gary, yes I think he has a plan and I would like to see him given another season to see him continue to develop it. However, with our present owners we all know that anything can happen in the summer depending who they are listening to at the time. But the thread is about should we back or sack and I believe we should back him. That doesn't make me a Venky fan or a "bigger" fan than others it's just an opinion which some of our more vocal members don't share. Fair enough, I don't have a problem with that but I will defend my viewpoint.

Some of you need to have a word with yourselves, the anti chaddy stuff is bordering on bullying, get a keaning grip.

Agreed. Is it anti chaddy or just anti anyone who doesn't fall in line with constant negativity?

Either way this MB is barely tolerable these days. (There you go, a bit more negativity! It's good to fit in)

and who better to show how people just do not get it it. The boards at the clubs you mentioned actually followed a process to hire the manager involving interviews and applications with a committee picking the choice. Headed by Whealan at Wigan. WHo do we have in the club capable of this? The last interview process was headed by Shebby Singh....

I hope your ready for Hendry and Mcphilips.

edit -

Just to add - this website has today reminded me that in a debate - if you start personally abusing the person (or parson) with alternative views, you automatically win and become king of the forum.

And who better to perfectly illustrate how people want it both ways - "you pompous ass". :)

You see, what you are saying, and what you cannot comprehend, is that NOTHING has changed at all behind the scenes. Shelfy therefore has no influence and at any moment the wrecking ball that is Venkys could change everything on a whim.

Therefore any talk of stability is complete and utter bunkum yet it is trotted out time and again as a means to back Bowyer.

This debate really isn't moving forward and it won't whilst the same people keep arguing both sides of the issue when it suits their agenda. ;)

Join The Push For Status Quo.

And who better to perfectly illustrate how people want it both ways - "you pompous ass". :)

You see, what you are saying, and what you cannot comprehend, is that NOTHING has changed at all behind the scenes. Shelfy therefore has no influence and at any moment the wrecking ball that is Venkys could change everything on a whim.

Therefore any talk of stability is complete and utter bunkum yet it is trotted out time and again as a means to back Bowyer.

This debate really isn't moving forward and it won't whilst the same people keep arguing both sides of the issue when it suits their agenda. ;)

Join The Push For Status Quo.

Haha.

I honestly think nothing can change when the final say on big decisions remains in Pune. They still take advice from "consultants" and those with a vested financial interest in the club - rather than passionate educated leaders like John Williams or Dave Whealan.

We all want the same thing; Blackburn Rovers in the best form, position, place etc. The difference we have is I see replacing GB as a step back at this point, whereas you and others see change as necessary to step forward.

Even if I did share the view, I'd still advocate this as a summer change - I've never been a fan of midseason changing unless it's absolutely obvious that the manager has lost the players. For instance Paul Ince - Thankfully we had someone who understood the club and knew about football at that time.

Haha.

I honestly think nothing can change when the final say on big decisions remains in Pune. They still take advice from "consultants" and those with a vested financial interest in the club - rather than passionate educated leaders like John Williams or Dave Whealan.

We all want the same thing; Blackburn Rovers in the best form, position, place etc. The difference we have is I see replacing GB as a step back at this point, whereas you and others see change as necessary to step forward.

Even if I did share the view, I'd still advocate this as a summer change - I've never been a fan of midseason changing unless it's absolutely obvious that the manager has lost the players. For instance Paul Ince - Thankfully we had someone who understood the club and knew about football at that time.

Good post.

The bit in bold probably sums up the debate. Hence why some say 'stability' whereas I call it 'status quo'.

Bowyer is simply the current manager - and they come and go - no matter whose mates they are. We need to have faith that the club is in the right hands, with those in charge making the best decision for the club. If it isn't then we are a world away from stability.

Given our precarious finances and small, low paying crowds, it seems to me that we are not in a position to remain a mid table championship club and we will slip backwards (very quickly if Venkys pull out - which they surely will without PL prospects).

So it comes down to: do we stick or twist - and when?

...and can we afford to stick?

Archived