BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

You list his scouting network as a positive, whereas personally i see his signings as a negative. Yes theres been a couple of decent buys, but plenty of poor ones too. Yes every manager makes poor choices, but Bowyer has made a lot of poor choices for me. Given this and the budget for a playing squad we have, I wouldnt say we are improved much on last seasons squad. Look at the relative signings made by Souness in this league (Friedel, Berkovic, Bent, Short, Berg, Hughes) vs the 20+ of Bowyer. To me Bowyer signs players if they are available, whereas Souness thought about weaknesses in his squad and went and brought in players to fill them. Souness was in no way a tactical genius, he just got a team of top quality players together.

Cairney, Gestede, Spurr, Taylor, Marshall, Conway, Evans and Kilgallon have all bee good signings some in fact have been excellent signings. His only bad one have been Marrow but it was a small fee and small wages I would imagine, Judge was a free and a good signing on paper but it just didn't work out, I still think he could do a job for us and Songo'o was free transfer and small wages so nothing really lost there. The players he has spent money on and the players that on higher wages have all been good signings.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You list his scouting network as a positive, whereas personally i see his signings as a negative. Yes theres been a couple of decent buys, but plenty of poor ones too. Yes every manager makes poor choices, but Bowyer has made a lot of poor choices for me. Given this and the budget for a playing squad we have, I wouldnt say we are improved much on last seasons squad. Look at the relative signings made by Souness in this league (Friedel, Berkovic, Bent, Short, Berg, Hughes) vs the 20+ of Bowyer. To me Bowyer signs players if they are available, whereas Souness thought about weaknesses in his squad and went and brought in players to fill them. Souness was in no way a tactical genius, he just got a team of top quality players together.

A good appraisal although comparisons with Souness will only ever have one winner.

Souness made some good signings - Berkovic on loan was probably what sealed our promotion - but he also had Dunn and Duff from the ranks, and was very astute bringing in Jansen. That list also omits Flitcroft and Hignett.

I'm not sure if Bowyer's signings can be compared quality-wise and our youth set up has delivered Lowe and Hanley (defensive minded would be a kind comparison to the more attack-minded young blood Souness could rely on). Souey's side also didn't need a season to bed in.

Our players need a rocket up them, hence thoughts of Souness (and why I'd still like Sherwood) - what they've got is an arm round their shoulder.

Incidentally, the Sherwood one is a good example of the double standards of the messageboard. If he fails at Spurs then "he's a crap manager", if he succeeds, "he's never going to come to Rovers - totally unrealistic". But we need a potential gem like him to fail somewhere to make him just damaged enough goods to come here.

Just as Souness was.

Some of you need to have a word with yourselves, the anti chaddy stuff is bordering on bullying, get a keaning grip.

He asks for it. Everything is perfect except his command of the English language.

How could we forget.

Bowyer or bust.

I wish it wasn't but rather think it is. I'd love to have that positive vibe about the search for a new manager that most clubs' supporters seem to get but I can't remember having that since Mark Hughes rocked up. Allardyce, Ince, Berg, appleton, Kean. None of them have given me even the slightest frisson of excitement at he thought of how we might play and what might happen. I understand we needed allardyce at the time, but the football was mostly dire. and the rest were just rubbish. Tell me we might appoint some of the names around and I'd take it like a shot but there really are a lot of baduns out there as well as the odd good 'un and I've seen enough awful stuff to think that for a while at least it really might be better the devil you know.

He asks for it. Everything is perfect except his command of the English language.

I've never said everything is perfect at all. where did I see this then?

Not my fault you can't accept a different view from yours.

I think Gumboots is right that most fans haven't had positive vibe since Hughes was the manager. Allardyce did a good job but his football was mostly dire but he got the results so credit to him for me.

A good appraisal although comparisons with Souness will only ever have one winner.

Souness made some good signings - Berkovic on loan was probably what sealed our promotion - but he also had Dunn and Duff from the ranks, and was very astute bringing in Jansen. That list also omits Flitcroft and Hignett.

I'm not sure if Bowyer's signings can be compared quality-wise and our youth set up has delivered Lowe and Hanley (defensive minded would be a kind comparison to the more attack-minded young blood Souness could rely on). Souey's side also didn't need a season to bed in.

Our players need a rocket up them, hence thoughts of Souness (and why I'd still like Sherwood) - what they've got is an arm round their shoulder.

Incidentally, the Sherwood one is a good example of the double standards of the messageboard. If he fails at Spurs then "he's a crap manager", if he succeeds, "he's never going to come to Rovers - totally unrealistic". But we need a potential gem like him to fail somewhere to make him just damaged enough goods to come here.

Just as Souness was.

Am pretty sure Kidd signed Jansen and certainly him, Dunn and Duff were the axis of that side.

Clearly Bowyer is not a total lemon but, just as was the case when Souness took over from Tony Parkes, we need someone who's been around the block to start our engines again.

I also agree that the chances of this happening under Venky's are remote so it's catch 22.

However I don't buy in to this stability thing that Bowyer has brought, granted this season has been more stable but that is not due to Bowyer it is actually due to The Venkys. This season they have kept their mouths shut, kept one manager, offloaded a fair bit of the rubbish on the pitch and got rid of Agnew and Shebby of the pitch, those are the reasons why the club has been more stable this season.

Personally I agree BUT Abbey and yoda are gonna ya for that!

Am pretty sure Kidd signed Jansen and certainly him, Dunn and Duff were the axis of that side.

Clearly Bowyer is not a total lemon but, just as was the case when Souness took over from Tony Parkes, we need someone who's been around the block to start our engines again.

I also agree that the chances of this happening under Venky's are remote so it's catch 22.

Aye, you could be right. We don't have the likes of those guys any more though, and likely never will unless we get back to the top flight. Phil Jones (albeit another defender) is a prime example. [interesting side note that players coming through from Bowyer's crop are more defensive minded players.]

Look at Everton, apart from the odd grumble I bet there weren't many fans that would have called for Moyes to go but just look what Martinez has done with the infrastructure/players he inherited - and it's arguable he lost his best player.

Personally I agree BUT Abbey and yoda are gonna ya for that!

You agree they 'got rid of Agnew and Shebby? - well that's one way to re-write it, I suppose.

Aye, you could be right. We don't have the likes of those guys any more though, and likely never will unless we get back to the top flight. Phil Jones (albeit another defender) is a prime example. [interesting side note that players coming through from Bowyer's crop are more defensive minded players.]

Look at Everton, apart from the odd grumble I bet there weren't many fans that would have called for Moyes to go but just look what Martinez has done with the infrastructure/players he inherited - and it's arguable he lost his best player.

You agree they 'got rid of Agnew and Shebby? - well that's one way to re-write it, I suppose.

No surprise that Bowyer's crop are defensive minded :-)

Utter rubbish. Look at the history of these fixtures. Burnley win some, we win some. The fact that we have hardly played them for the past thirty odd years has given some a superiority complex. Clearly, you don't remember the excellent games in the sixties when Burnley and Rovers regularly beat each other. Perhaps Jack Marshall was a bad manager for actually allowing Burnley to do the "double" over the Rovers. I really despair of our fanbase at times.

The comment made was one put to me by a fellow Rovers supporter on saturday.

totally think this is a pretty pointless thread now TBH...I voted sack but I really couldn't expect the Venksters to appoint a proper manager so bit pointless really..but lets be honest forget the owners situation GB has brought in 19 players its his squad ( unless someone in the background signed some and punted some out...mmmm )..IMHO a squad which is as equal to Burnley or Leicester so 12th isn't good enougth it's a results based business and the buck stops somewhere...let's not bleat about injuries , decisions , etc it happens to every side unless you really are very lucky..

At this moment in time if some of the positive posters are happy with the situation that's up to them but I ask them to take a trawl back through message boards of other clubs ie Pompey and you'll see similar positive posters who can't see the wood for the trees....if they even think we are any where near stable they are on serious drugs..

Rovers are a car crash in slow motion..no one can second guess the Raos but 1 thing is for certain the mounting debts cant continue indefinite no matter how rich or not you maybe or wether its more debt ridden cash keeping us afloat it will crash just a matter of when....

The sooner they depart the club the better and Rovers can start to rebuild ..

BTW I go the match home and away as it's not just about supporting a club , watching footy , etc it's a social thing as well

Give over and get a grip.

He has one view and you another, if you don't like it don't read it Al, simple as that.

yes, only read the posts you agree with, al. beca6se that's what this message board is about, continually banging a drum like a clockwork monkey on amphetamines. if you happen across a dissenting view just call them a big bully who doesn't like it when someone disagrees and then carry on taking nonsense.

job's a good 'un

stability? just a guess seems to be quite popular at the moment.

Edit: Looks like the have been clever or lucky in the transfer market http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/bournemouth-afc/transfers/verein_989.html lots of movement /loans so not much stability, perhaps they bought players to fit the team structure and not base the formation around certain players and have a go for a win mentality. Quite puzzling as I thought stability was the key to getting out this league

Mmm. Well they're either better players or they have a manager that is tactically clued up and/or can motivate players.

yes, only read the posts you agree with, al. beca6se that's what this message board is about, continually banging a drum like a clockwork monkey on amphetamines. if you happen across a dissenting view just call them a big bully who doesn't like it when someone disagrees and then carry on taking nonsense.

job's a good 'un

I tend not to post when I've been on the sauce Bryan :P

Give over and get a grip.

He has one view and you another, if you don't like it don't read it Al, simple as that.

You are joking he's all over this site like a rash. You can't avoid the guy.

Archived