BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

I love the posts saying "be careful what you wish for, we were heading for league 1 etc...."

Well, we're 18th out of 24 in the form table with 1 win in 8, I'd say that's relegation form. Also, are we much better off points tally wise? The league is poorer this season and will be far more difficult next season. We all said that this run in should be an indication of what to expect next term...

So... Be careful what you wish for.

We can wish all day but most of us know what we've got.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the posts saying "be careful what you wish for, we were heading for league 1 etc...."

Well, we're 18th out of 24 in the form table with 1 win in 8, I'd say that's relegation form. Also, are we much better off points tally wise? The league is poorer this season and will be far more difficult next season. We all said that this run in should be an indication of what to expect next term...

So... Be careful what you wish for.

1 Bournemouth 6 4 1 1 10 4 6 13 2 Burnley 6 4 1 1 12 7 5 13 3 Doncaster 6 4 1 1 7 4 3 13 4 Leicester City 6 3 3 0 12 5 7 12 5 Watford 6 3 1 2 16 8 8 10 6 QPR 6 3 1 2 8 7 1 10 7 Ipswich Town 6 3 1 2 7 7 0 10 8 Charlton 6 3 1 2 3 6 -3 10 9 Bolton 6 2 3 1 9 6 3 9 10 Wigan Athletic 6 2 3 1 11 9 2 9 11 Sheffield Wed 6 3 0 3 9 7 2 9 12 Middlesbrough 6 2 3 1 8 6 2 9 13 Reading 6 2 3 1 9 8 1 9 14 Barnsley 6 3 0 3 8 9 -1 9 15 Derby County 6 2 2 2 9 3 6 8 16 Blackburn 6 1 4 1 13 12 1 7 17 Brighton 6 2 1 3 7 8 -1 7 18 Blackpool 6 2 1 3 4 6 -2 7 19 Millwall 6 1 2 3 6 8 -2 5 20 Birmingham 6 1 1 4 10 17 -7 4 21 Huddersfield 6 0 3 3 5 10 -5 3 22 Leeds United 6 1 0 5 7 14 -7 3 23 Yeovil Town 6 0 3 3 7 14 -7 3 24 Nottm Forest 6 0 3 3 2 9 -7 3

Bet Bournemouth are dreaming of promotion now aren't they? And Derby, Forest, Reading and Brighton are all scared stiff of relegation.

I'm not saying Bowyer is right for the job but let's not base the whole season on the current form guide, particularly when they include decent overall performances against Leicester, Watford, Brighton and Huddersfield.

Lest we forget that this is what many fans wanted to see after we drew 0-0 against Sheff Wed and beat Leeds away from home over Christmas. Attack, Attack, Attack Attack Attack. 13 goals scored in the last 5 games. Unfortunately and as is to be expected, we're also conceding more.

Guest Norbert

Coventry have absolutely no defence though. So every game would probably be 3-3 or 5-2 etc.

And they're near the relegation zone (though they started on -10 points).

Mark Robins was doing a better job.

Most clubs aren't owned by Venky's. Since when has anything they've ever done been to the betterment of the club? The club's infrastructure has been torn apart, the board-room dissolved and replaced on an ad hoc basis with a string unqualified, overpromoted individuals. That's the kind of set-up you're appealing to when you argue for change. Bowyer's the best manager they've ever hired, and that was a decision made by accident, not design. I understand and share fan's frustrations, because promotion is paramount and under Bowyer the club might well have hit the glass ceiling of mid-table 'stability'. Saying that, be careful what you wish for, lest we forget this club was League One bound last season under Shebby & Shagnew's chosen ones. As I said a little while ago, it all boils down to whether you have more confidence in Bowyer raising his game, or Venky's doing something they've never done before and recruiting a successful manager? It's a ridiculous scenario the club finds itself in, no doubt, but one we should be all too familiar with under the Punatics.

This issue was not so much the chosen ones but the choosers. Bowyer has ended up by default as the best of a bad bunch - largely because he hasn't had any off the back-biting and interference that Appleton and Berg had. Not saying that they are necessarily better than Bowyer but to say they were worse is comparing apples with... melons. Sorry I got distracted for a second...

Coventry have absolutely no defence though. So every game would probably be 3-3 or 5-2 etc.

And they're near the relegation zone (though they started on -10 points).

Mark Robins was doing a better job.

They're mid table aren't they? Something like 10 points clear of the relegation zone. If they hadn't had their 10 point deduction they'd well within the playoffs.

• Backroom

So even his sternest supporters can't back him for footballing reasons any more - yet they want to keep him.

Hopeless.

To be fair I don't think anybody has said that. There are just very good non-footballing reasons that need to be considered as well.

I think that there are advantages to giving him until the summer. Firstly there is nothing particular to be gained by acting now - the season is basically over, we're not going up, we're not in danger of going down. There isn't a standout available manager we've got to move fast to secure, for all people on here saying 'we should get (insert name here)' - that's just speculation. Frustrating as the football may be at this point we can wait to see who becomes available. It also might be easier to tempt managers from their clubs in the off season.

But also we were getting known (that is to say our mighty poultry overlords were getting known) as the joke five-managers-in-a-season club. I think people have given us credit for backing a rookie manager and no-one will blame us if we've given him an entire season before deciding that it isn't working out. If we sack him now it would be another round of 'Rovers Sack Another Manager' headlines. This might seem a pointless distinction but I think it could actually have some effect on the managers we are able to attract to replace him.

Mental hire-em and fire-em owners are a lot less attractive to work under than those perceived as backing rookie managers and giving them a fair go at the reigns. We all know it's a load of rubbish, but someone might buy it.

It may be that I'm over thinking this.

Guest Norbert

They're mid table aren't they? Something like 10 points clear of the relegation zone. If they hadn't had their 10 point deduction they'd well within the playoffs.

They would be in the last play off position, with a few teams 1 or 2 points behind. However, they have conceded 69 goals in 40 games so far, so we'd probably see more results like the last few games. If we had to sell Rhodes, we'd need another goal machine to take his place. I like Pressley, but I'm not sure he can create a team able to really push for promotion as Coventry's defence is appalling.

They would be in the last play off position, with a few teams 1 or 2 points behind. However, they have conceded 69 goals in 40 games so far, so we'd probably see more results like the last few games. If we had to sell Rhodes, we'd need another goal machine to take his place. I like Pressley, but I'm not sure he can create a team able to really push for promotion as Coventry's defence is appalling.

That surely because he knows that with a 10 point deduction, his team has to out and attack to win games with nothing to lose... Something that Bowyer has lacked for most of this season.

I'm not sure either, it's suggestion based on the market what we should realistically be expecting our owners to be looking in. Personally, I think he's the pick of the lot.

Guest Norbert

It may be different at this club, but I don't think many here would like that sort of excitement. Can you imagine the reaction to a 4-2 defeat following a 3-3 draw? Like I say, I like the guy, and he comes across well but it would be a risk. Mind you, if he can bring Cyrus Christie, Franck Moussa and Carl Baker with him, it might be worth it. Those three could probably do a good job.

As a seasoned centre half I'm sure he knows what it takes to make a decent back 4. Having played for Celtic and Scotland at centre half I think he's experience could be good for Grant Hanley.

I just think he's doing the best with what he has, perhaps he knows that the best way of getting points with what he has is to attack... Let's face it, he has no money to spend on strengthening his defence.

Good suggestion in Pressley there Neal.

But the Biggest problem is who is advising the owners. These ppl shouldnt be listen at all..dont have Rovers best interests at heart just they own.

If Bowyer does go my first choice would be Alan Curbishley then Phil Parkinson would be my second choice. both experienced.

My biggest worry with Curbisley is how long hes been out of the game as a manager.

Guest Norbert

Maybe you're right, but his record at Coventry suggests he's a bit Kevin Keegan with his tactics, and that could go either way. Having said all I had, I would not be against him having a crack at this club, and he was pretty good at Falkirk so there may be something there. The journey will be more exciting than it has been this season anyway.

But the Biggest problem is who is advising the owners. These ppl shouldnt be listen at all..dont have Rovers best interests at heart just they own.

My biggest worry with Curbisley is how long hes been out of the game as a manager.

Agreed. I also share the same concerns over Curbishley.

Maybe you're right, but his record at Coventry suggests he's a bit Kevin Keegan with his tactics, and that could go either way. Having said all I had, I would not be against him having a crack at this club, and he was pretty good at Falkirk so there may be something there. The journey will be more exciting than it has been this season anyway.

Course it could go either way, the only manager close to dead certain would be Mackay and we know that won't happen. Like I say, perhaps he's a bit 'Keegan' is because he knows that's the only way his team will pick up points. He had good reputation for working with youth in Scotland and I think that sort of experience would be valued at this club.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see it happen.

• Backroom

The frustrating thing for all of us is that there are managers with proven track records of success in this division currently out of work and most likely interested in the position if it became available - but we all know deep down that our owners won't go for one of these candidates. We'd get another no-hoper to add to the succession of chancers that have sullied the manager's dugout since Allardyce was binned. It's ridiculous.

Agreed. I also share the same concerns over Curbishley.

Course it could go either way, the only manager close to dead certain would be Mackay and we know that won't happen. Like I say, perhaps he's a bit 'Keegan' is because he knows that's the only way his team will pick up points. He had good reputation for working with youth in Scotland and I think that sort of experience would be valued at this club.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see it happen.

Never really understand why Curbishley hasnt had a club since west ham job in 2008.

What your view of Phil Parkinson or Karl Robinson Neal???

Curbishley had to go on gardening leave for a long time whilst he argued for his compen from the Whamers. He's been back on the market for a while now though but I really doubt he'd fancy the Rovers job in the highly unlikely scenario he was offered it :(

James Beattie has performed minor miracles with Stanley this year. They had to be nailed on to go down, especially after the horrendous start they had. He also has the experience of playing at the top flight, is a local lad and very hungry. I think we could do worse, as he would been keen to come and accepted by most fans.

James Beattie has performed minor miracles with Stanley this year. They had to be nailed on to go down, especially after the horrendous start they had. He also has the experience of playing at the top flight, is a local lad and very hungry. I think we could do worse, as he would been keen to come and accepted by most fans.

you are joking, right ?

So even his sternest supporters can't back him for footballing reasons any more - yet they want to keep him.

Hopeless.

My reasons for backing him are all about football den. With the finances as they are I expect many of the senior - well paid players - to leave in the summer and with the club having to rebuild using youngsters. Gary, Terry, Tony Grant and Craig Short have all got experience in working with and developing younger players. That is why I want to see them being given another season. But, ultimately, it is not my decision as I don't own the club or pay the bills. It's down to the owners as they are the ones who are funding - or not - the club at the moment.

Archived