BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

Did you see Spearing's goal at Leeds? Can't say I'm a fan of his at all, but not very dissimilar to Tunnicliffe's.

Forgot about that to be fair! But yep, I'm not a fan either and it would be a mistake to sign him.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

King has offers from England, Germany, Austria and Scotland according to a Norwegian source on Twitter who spoke to him while he trains with Valerenga. His preference is to play in PL. Says we've made an offer to make him main striker next season but he finds it hard to trust us when he's barely been used when fit.

That's the jist of the tweets anyway. Doesn't look like a cat in hells chance of keeping him as I said months ago.

King Comments are below

King: "I use this time to think [about the future] and we'll see what happens. I've been in Blackburn for 2,5 years

It hasn't been as I wanted. I've played too little. They've promised me more time next year if I stay as their main striker

I need time to think about it because it's an important decision in my career. Its hard to trust them after the treatment I've got

I came back last year and I was their best player that pre-season but I was taken out of the team because some who hadn't played a single minute in pre-season had to play.

If King has been offered lead-striker role, that must mean we are gonna do some selling..

I fully expect Gestede to go... Keeping King and playing him alongside Rhodes could be good.

He could add to Rhodes' game.

But the challenge is convincing King to stay which I doubt we will.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed to see Hanley go! Whether there is a buyer is another question. I know Big Sam and Hughes were fans, but even they surely would have been put off by his 'performances' last season.

I would be.

Kings got ideas above his station, thinks he's better than he is. He's only had a handful of good games in 2 1/2yrs so I won't be to bothered if he left.

Bowyer hasn't fancied King all the time he's been in charge, only using him when it was absolutely necessary so why would they offer him the lead striking role. One of them is telling fibs but how can any player trust Bowyer the way he faffs them about, favs excluded of course.

I despise players that try to get bigger than the club, but I don't really blame King for being teed off.

Even when he was fit for long spells he'd be stuck on the bench (never had a decent/fair run in) sometimes watching Varney/Brown play ahead of him, or played out on the wing which really isn't his game at all.

Started up tops against Stoke and Bolton and was brilliantly effective. Even if he's having a poor game he's a massive threat. If he stays I believe Rhodes is the sort who would thrive playing next to him, poaching rebounds/knocks and the sort.

Really do hope he stays, still a raw player, but could be a very important player.

I despise players that try to get bigger than the club, but I don't really blame King for being teed off.

Even when he was fit for long spells he'd be stuck on the bench (never had a decent/fair run in) sometimes watching Varney/Brown play ahead of him, or played out on the wing which really isn't his game at all.

Started up tops against Stoke and Bolton and was brilliantly effective. Even if he's having a poor game he's a massive threat. If he stays I believe Rhodes is the sort who would thrive playing next to him, poaching rebounds/knocks and the sort.

Really do hope he stays, still a raw player, but could be a very important player.

I think Bowyer was taken by surprise by just how good King was against Stoke. Outstanding. He was played up top in the FA cup as Bowyer, rightly, thought the oppo were complacent and vulnerable to pace. He put in two wonderful performances.

King was so good that made Bowyers life difficult as suddenly a lot of clubs sat up and notice him. Our best hope of keeping King was if no one else wanted him. After Stoke he now looks a talent and the likes of QPR etc will make him strong offers we can't compete with.

The root cause is fundamentally Bowyer has preferred Rhodes and Gestede as strikers (can't blame him for that) and Cairney, Marshall and Conway on the wing (more blame here, but then King had not played well this season on the wing, nor does he want to play there).

I think it would be harsh to give Bowyer grief on this score.I don't think many supporters would have given King more game time than Bowyer has.

Not wanting to dismiss people's onions here but the same thing was said about Rochina and Villanueva to a lesser extent.

Both have moved on and been just as bad at other clubs, so whilst it's open season of Gary Bowyer, not everything is his fault.

I think Bowyer was taken by surprise by just how good King was against Stoke. Outstanding. He was played up top in the FA cup as Bowyer, rightly, thought the oppo were complacent and vulnerable to pace. He put in two wonderful performances.

King was so good that made Bowyers life difficult as suddenly a lot of clubs sat up and notice him. Our best hope of keeping King was if no one else wanted him. After Stoke he now looks a talent and the likes of QPR etc will make him strong offers we can't compete with.

The root cause is fundamentally Bowyer has preferred Rhodes and Gestede as strikers (can't blame him for that) and Cairney, Marshall and Conway on the wing (more blame here, but then King had not played well this season on the wing, nor does he want to play there).

I think it would be harsh to give Bowyer grief on this score.I don't think many supporters would have given King more game time than Bowyer has.

I agree it's harsh to blame bowyer about last seasons. Before the fa cup run nobody was on here pushing for king to start games. Infact most people felt he was useless! Bowyer was going to start the season with gestede and Rhodes after the way the finished the season before.

Il love king to sign but still don't think we can pin all our hopes on a striker that will probably be injured for half the season

Varney said: “I’ve had a lot of clubs in my career but being at Ipswich has been my highlight.

“I know that’s a big thing to say, considering I was only there for a couple of months, but I just felt like a real family member from day one. I’ve never been at a club that’s so united.

“Six months ago, when I was out of the picture at Blackburn, I’d lost a little bit of love for the game. That’s why I’m so grateful to Mick McCarthy and Ipswich Town.

“I just want to be part of Ipswich Town Football Club.”

out of todays Venkygraph

Don't let the door hit you Varney.

Chris Brown numero uno ..scary thought.

Varney:

some sources, namely the Lancashire Telegraph, are continuing to peddle the story that there might be a chance Varney will be kept on at Rovers next season. I think if this happens then that will be the final straw for many people as far as Gary Bowyer is concerned.

Transfer embargo or not, there is absolutely no reason to even contemplate keeping Varney. Now I don't doubt he's a good pro, and probably can still 'do a job' in the Championship. Mick McCarthy clearly felt he was worth giving a go this season. However, even when he was fully fit and we had injury problems he was never deemed good enough to be given a run in the team, and when he did play showed very little to warrant an extended stay at the club.

I sympathise that he sustained a serious injury in the play-offs (albeit playing for one of our Championship rivals) and I wish him a speedy recovery. I would have no problem with Rovers allowing him to train with the squad and use our facilities to assist his recovery, but on non-contract terms.

The fact is he's 32, will be 33 in September. His injury means that it will be the end of the year at least before he has recovered, if he ever does recover fully. If Rovers gave him another years contract he would only be available for half of that and he would be taking up a valuable squad space and wage throughout that time.

So for me its a big no, on every level, and I'll be confused and angry if the club gives him another year.

In relation to Josh King, my big concern is his fitness. If he was capable of staying fit throughout the season then I would be anxious to do whatever we could to keep him at the club. He's undoubtedly a talent who could be a very useful player in this division. However, he's been at the club for more than 2.5 years and played 50 odd games. I've lost count of the number of times he's been unavailable for prolonged spells due to injury. With this in mind I won't be losing too much sleep if he doesn't stay. Compare his injury record to that of Rhodes, Conway or Cairney for example and those are far more reliable. Unfortunate but true.

I would still like King to stay, but I think offering him a big contract or promising him main striker role is very risky given his track record.

For this reason I don't think there'll be many big clubs showing an interest in him, and he might find that the Championship is the best standard he'll get offers from (better than Scotland or Austria first divisions).

I expect one or two Championship clubs would love to sign King on a free transfer, but QPR won't be able to make offers we can't compete with. They're in a bigger financial mess than us, and still don't know what punishment they will get, though an embargo should be the very least.

we just cannot sign Varney or keep him on.. it would be a ridiculous decision, as that guy has no footballing ability. Having a frontline of Varney and Brown is just unacceptable, when you potentially going to release or sell Rhodes and Gestede.

King played up front with Rhodes in a home game that ended 0-0. He had a good game and worked his nuts off, the end pass, shot was missing but his display was similar to that v Swansea in terms of his runs and the problems he caused. I remember being quite surprised in him but he was quickly a bit part player again after that.

Bowyer clearly doesn't fancy him as he goes against his miserable style of one paced football. Having played him in the cups and he did so well he was then under a bit of fan pressure to use him. He just isn't a Bowyer type player and he knows it so i'll be amazed if he signs.

King played up front with Rhodes in a home game that ended 0-0. He had a good game and worked his nuts off, the end pass, shot was missing but his display was similar to that v Swansea in terms of his runs and the problems he caused. I remember being quite surprised in him but he was quickly a bit part player again after that.

Bowyer clearly doesn't fancy him as he goes against his miserable style of one paced football. Having played him in the cups and he did so well he was then under a bit of fan pressure to use him. He just isn't a Bowyer type player and he knows it so i'll be amazed if he signs.

So who would you have dropped to accommodate King - Rhodes or Gestede ?

I remember King having a spell of about 4 or 5 matches last season where he played well - before getting injured and never really being the same player. This season - he has had probably fewer good matches - though played less.

Though I would like him to stay - a lot of people saying they want him to stay is based around the FA Cup matches where I think the opposition were basically caught out by our change in tactics - no guarantee that he would have the same impact if played regularly (even if injuries allowed that) as teams would set up to nullify his main threat of pace (though personally I think this would help the whole team, even if it nullified his threat).

Archived