BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the embargo remains then we are going to have to rely on the loan market. There are plenty of very decent players for this level wasting away at Premier League clubs, or you can pick up a upcoming youngster from one of the big Premier League clubs, so it is possible to work effectively even with the embargo.

What I do know is that the European market is being looked at this time round, again most likely loan opportunities or freebies with a particular focus on Scandinavia, Austria and Germany.

Gary may have faults on the tactical side of the game but generally speaking his judgement in the transfer market has been sound.

If the embargo remains then we are going to have to rely on the loan market. There are plenty of very decent players for this level wasting away at Premier League clubs, or you can pick up a upcoming youngster from one of the big Premier League clubs, so it is possible to work effectively even with the embargo.

What I do know is that the European market is being looked at this time round, again most likely loan opportunities or freebies with a particular focus on Scandinavia, Austria and Germany.

Gary may have faults on the tactical side of the game but generally speaking his judgement in the transfer market has been sound.

Can't agree with your last sentence Kamy. The evidence says otherwise.

Kamy, this is why I suggestion Erwin Hoffer. He is Austrian striker who play the German Second division team Fortuna Dusseldorf.

I guess we will look to sign 3 or 4 players(if they are good enough) from Austria, Scandinavia and Germany.

Exploiting the foreign market is essential. Generally speaking decent players from some of Europe's top divisions are affordable on lower wages than they are from English clubs. £10k a week is mega money for some European leagues.

I'm a big fan of having a predominantly British core to the team, which we have with Steele-Hanley-Kilgallon-Lowe-Evans-Cairney-Marshall-Conway-Rhodes, but bringing in foreign talent needs to be looked it. It is something we haven't done for some time (Gestede aside because he came from a British club).

Can't agree with your last sentence Kamy. The evidence says otherwise.

Or you could be more balanced den, and admit he's brought in some good talent. Or do we ignore Gestede, Marshall, Spurr, Kilgallon, Cairney, Baptiste and Tunicliffe? I'll admit his record isn't faultless but I'd say he's certainly 50/50 at worst. He's not perfect by any stretch and he's brought in a good few duds. But let's not dismiss what he has done.

It's not the first time we've had to shop at Lidl and it probably won't be the last. In the past we've signed and played far worse than Taylor and Brown - Frank Lord, Andy Needham, Alex Russell, John O'Mara to name but four - and it didn't prove to be the end of the world. We are going to need a huge amount of luck in picking up the right players on frees and particularly trying to convince them to accept less than £10,000 a week - unbelievable as that amount might seem to most of us. There is no doubt that next season is going to be tough, particularly if Gestede and/or Rhodes goes but we've come through tough times before. Personally, I can't see the point in worrying about transfer stories in the press - most rumours are of the Nixon variety that rarely come to anything anyway. By the end of August we will know what we've got and we will, as we have done in past, deal with it. For now, I'll concentrate on a summer - if we ever get the weather for one - of cricket.

You're stuck in the past Parson, still peddling the line that we are back in our natural place.

The fact is Jack Walker's legacy has been trashed, first by his Trust, then by Venkys.

Nothing natural about it.

• Backroom

When a fee is involved, yes, somewhat. As far as the free transfer/loan market, not really. We've picked up a lot of duds. Look at the last two strikers we've brought in on a free. You'd think it was their aim to avoid the net at all costs.

Bowyer's acumen in the transfer market is heading south.

The irony is that for all his banging on about increasing player values, he actually achieved exactly the opposite with King.

Let's face it, even if King had been treated better he'd still have jumped ship this Summer.

However, he would've been worth a lot more in compo.

Or you could be more balanced den, and admit he's brought in some good talent. Or do we ignore Gestede, Marshall, Spurr, Kilgallon, Cairney, Baptiste and Tunicliffe? I'll admit his record isn't faultless but I'd say he's certainly 50/50 at worst. He's not perfect by any stretch and he's brought in a good few duds. But let's not dismiss what he has done.

Gestede has done well. Baptiste is good, Marshall is good one game, terrible for the next three, Spurr is bang average with little genuine technique, Kilgallon and Tunicliffe aren't going to get us anywhere.

What about the other 20+ players Patrick?

Don't know why the surprise at Brown not scoring as he was obviously a not very often scoring striker before we signed him. If Bowyer has put faith in him to go on and become our main man he really does need his bumps feeling. Browny has his uses as a lump and that's needed in this division but Garner is way off on this one, he'll never score more than the odd token goals if he plays 40 odd games !!!

Oh - and Cairney. I like Cairney as a footballer. Good technique. Trouble is, he's one of these players who can do a bit now and again, but can't hold a place down. I would let him go under better circumstances.

No manager is going to get every transfer right.

In my view Bowyer's 'big' transfers - the ones which have cost money and the players who have been brought in as first 11 players - Gestede, Cairney, Marshall, Evans, Conway, Kilgallon, Spurr - have been very good. Yes some might have had poorer seasons this than last, but none can be classed as failures or poor signings. The biggest disappointment this season has been Evans but I wouldn't put him in the failure category, though he admittedly hasn't been as good as last season. The jury is still out on Duffy but most seem to agree that if he had a consistent run in the team alongside a Kilgallon or Baptiste the signs would be positive.

There are bigger criticisms of Bowyer's free transfers, but in my view these are mostly offset by the successes of the above. Varney and Brown have been poor additions, though both were free and brought in as back-up, and should only ever be used as subs or stand ins. The problem grows if Bowyer decides to use either as a regular starting striker. Chris Taylor I would put in the 'ok' category. Neither a resounding success but certainly not a failure.

The loan players have been mixed - Baptiste a success, Spearing disappointing despite initial optimism, Paul Taylor hasn't been seen enough.

I would say that on balance Bowyer's business has been good, but inevitably when you have such a high turnover of players and are working with restrictions then some will be disappointing.

The first half of last season I thought he was very good. Lets remember he was a consistent performer in the Hull side that won automatic promotion 2 years ago. His season was then derailed due to injury, and I accept this season he has been disappointing.

There are so many players we have 'disposed' of because of lapses in form or doubts. We have to be patient with the current position and continue to get the 'below Director' level in order.

Gallagher,Derbyshire etc could all do a job for us at the moment. Gareth Ainsworth next Manager when we get 'our' Club back.

It has to get worse before it gets better. Hold on tight.

You're stuck in the past Parson, still peddling the line that we are back in our natural place.

The fact is Jack Walker's legacy has been trashed, first by his Trust, then by Venkys.

Nothing natural about it.

We are not 47er. But we are getting there. Our natural place is undoubtedly where we were when Jack first stepped in and yo yoing between the 2nd and 3rd Divisions. It's the level of football that the people of Blackburn elect albeit independently to support financially.

• Moderation Lead

Abbey

When Evans was out injured he suddenly became the Irish Diddier Deschamps ;)

That's happened to a few players Shaun, out for a prolonged period and they turn into worldies!

Financially we are a busted flush,we are shopping at Oxfam.

What worries me more is that both Burnley and Preston could potentially have

stronger squads than us next season.

Just feel we are in for one hell of a hard season were our pride takes a real hammering. :(

Which is exactly why last season was realistically our last chance at promotion but we spent all of it treading water.

Don't worry, though, one look at Parson's posts tells you that Venky's plan of downsizing the club and lowering expectations has been well and truly accomplished.

Archived