BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

12 hours ago, arbitro said:

There is a pattern forming here with the new deals. Having seen many of them I don't believe they are good enough but when injuries, suspensions and players being sold really starts to bite they will be in the first team squad because we aren't able to bring players in.

There seems to be more of them (on signing their contracts) saying they hope to progress to the first team squad this season.

I put this down to one of two things…

1. They see the lack of signings as an opportunity to progress.

2. The club is trying to create the narrative that signings aren’t necessary.

• Like 1

Report on Rovers U21s 1-3 win over Fleetwood U21s, goals from Bloxham, Boggan and Biniek: https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/july/18/report--fleetwood-town-under-21s-1-3-rovers-under-21s/

Solomon Honor’s turn between the sticks.  If I can work this out, he might be seventh choice goalie out of eight - though the rotational use of them and intermittent disappearances of Eastham makes it unclear:

Pears, Hilton, Barrett, Michalski, Eastham, Goddard (loan), Honor, Khan.

Edit: It’s a bit concerning that Rovers only transfer signing, winger, Doherty, is a sub for NI U19s. NI have, apparently, some promising players coming through (Linfield’s star academy players have moved to Everton and Arsenal this summer) but it seems the player may be well off from making a first team impact. 

He’s a young player who’ll deserve time, of course. However, unless the first team squad is improved, these players will possibly be relied upon at times.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Report on Rovers U21s 1-3 win over Fleetwood U21s, goals from Bloxham, Boggan and Biniek: https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/july/18/report--fleetwood-town-under-21s-1-3-rovers-under-21s/

Solomon Honor’s turn between the sticks.  If I can work this out, he might be seventh choice goalie out of eight - though the rotational use of them and intermittent disappearances of Eastham makes it unclear:

Pears, Hilton, Barrett, Michalski, Eastham, Goddard (loan), Honor, Khan.

Edit: It’s a bit concerning that Rovers only transfer signing, winger, Doherty, is a sub for NI U19s. NI have, apparently, some promising players coming through (Linfield’s star academy players have moved to Everton and Arsenal this summer) but it seems the player may be well off from making a first team impact. 

He’s a young player who’ll deserve time, of course. However, unless the first team squad is improved, these players will possibly be relied upon at times.

I got the impression that Khan is ahead of Honor. Didn't Khan make the first team bench at one point last season? I may be misremembering. Either way, we have far too many young goalies and I'm stunned we signed another in Barrett unless we're planning to jettison some.

The Doherty signing gives me Brad Lyons vibes. Spending a bit of money on an Irish development prospect who goes on to be ok but not at the level we're at, so ultimately proves a waste of time.

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I got the impression that Khan is ahead of Honor. Didn't Khan make the first team bench at one point last season? I may be misremembering. Either way, we have far too many young goalies and I'm stunned we signed another in Barrett unless we're planning to jettison some.

The Doherty signing gives me Brad Lyons vibes. Spending a bit of money on an Irish development prospect who goes on to be ok but not at the level we're at, so ultimately proves a waste of time.

In fairness Lyons was 21 when he joined the club , Doherty only turned 18 in may so a lot more room for him to develop 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't think Khan was on the bench. Joe Hilton covered for the injuries to Pears and Walstedt with Michalski being third choice. 

52 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't think Khan was on the bench. Joe Hilton covered for the injuries to Pears and Walstedt with Michalski being third choice. 

Might be a cup game, or Michalski I'm thinking of, and perhaps Khan is in my head because I was surprised he appeared in an u21 game or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bronzed A Donis said:

Under 21s , currently 4-0 down to Nantwich, a couple of howlers gifting them a 2-0 lead.

Really poor defensively from the under 21's but in truth it was an under 18 team. The first goal in the first minute came from a lazy pass across the 18 yard box with not enough pace. The Nantwich player didn't even have to work for it. Adam Khan was in goal and didn't do very well. Jordan Eastham was on the bench and didn't get on. With our gaggle of keepers surely some have to be sold or loaned out if only to save a few quid. The decision to sign Barrett looks stranger by the day.

• Like 2

Think the French lad will be going into the under21s initially…. Due over Tuesday if they can agree the sell on with FC Nantes ….Hopfuly it might not put an end to the interest in Jack Hastings ….He looks the real deal .. 

• Like 2

I noticed at Nantwich yesterday that the Academy mini-bus was used for some of the players whilst others travelled in their own cars. There was also an Intack Hire van there.

What a club we have become.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I noticed at Nantwich yesterday that the Academy mini-bus was used for some of the players whilst others travelled in their own cars. There was also an Intack Hire van there.

Presume that's not the norm? It took me back to turning up for a school game.

Is it normal for them to play in last year's kit too? My first cynical thought was we hadn't ordered enough or paid for a new kit.

Do you think any of those are likely to make the step up to Under 21's regularly this season. I haven't seen a lot of the youth the last few years, only really number 6 and 7 impressed me, Bloxhall was OK, but I thought 7 began playing it safe too much when 1 on 1 with the full back.

Clearly was a big physical and experience difference between the sides, so can't really judge.

Edited by Bronzed A Donis
It's not the under 23s

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

32 minutes ago, Bronzed A Donis said:

Is it normal for them to play in last year's kit too? My first cynical thought was we hadn't ordered enough or paid for a new kit.

Do you think any of those are likely to make the step up to Under 23's regularly this season. I haven't seen a lot of the youth the last few years, only really number 6 and 7 impressed me, Bloxhall was OK, but I thought 7 began playing it safe too much when 1 on 1 with the full back.

Clearly was a big physical and experience difference between the sides, so can't really judge.

Do either of you know what lineup Rovers put out please?

36 minutes ago, Bronzed A Donis said:

Do you think any of those are likely to make the step up to Under 23's regularly this season. I haven't seen a lot of the youth the last few years, only really number 6 and 7 impressed me, Bloxhall was OK, but I thought 7 began playing it safe too much when 1 on 1 with the full back.

There is no U23s, it's the U21s

56 minutes ago, KentExile said:

I couldn't tell you tbh. I know Khan was in goal and I think Lewis Bell was the 7, Bloxhall 10, but don't know rest and couldn't find a teamsheet.

Edited by Bronzed A Donis
Getting name wrong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bronzed A Donis said:

Do you think any of those are likely to make the step up to Under 21's regularly this season. I haven't seen a lot of the youth the last few years, only really number 6 and 7 impressed me, Bloxhall was OK, but I thought 7 began playing it safe too much when 1 on 1 with the full back.

There is normally a coach provided for away matches. They used the same kit at Macclesfield last week. It could well be that when injuries and suspensions (and sales) start to bite some of the under 21 players will be in the first team match day squad. The effect of this would be players from a younger group moving up and women will ?thrive and others crash and burn.

There was a difference physically yesterday and I can live with that. What was frustrating was the elementary mistakes like not being able to play a simple ten yard pass under no pressure.

52 minutes ago, KentExile said:

I saw the names on the scoreboard before the match but didn't take particular note. We had a Canadian youngster as a trialist playing left back (although he was predominantly right footed).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bronzed A Donis said:

Under 21s , currently 4-0 down to Nantwich, a couple of howlers gifting them a 2-0 lead.

Looks a pretty bad result, albeit, only pre-season - and a great one for the semi-pro team. Six out of Nantwich's nine subs were trailists, apparently.

On 20/07/2024 at 20:41, unleaded said:

Think the French lad will be going into the under21s initially…. Due over Tuesday if they can agree the sell on with FC Nantes ….Hopfuly it might not put an end to the interest in Jack Hastings ….He looks the real deal .. 

What French lad?