BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

The left back was Brandon Powell. He seems to be following the career path of Duru. After not really impressing last season he has really progressed in a short space of time. He looks like a strong wind would blow him over but that will be rectified. He is one to watch.

Ah brill thanks, him and the right back were the only ones I couldn't put names too last night.

Whitehall too, can definitely tell he has something, just a shame about all those injuries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What formation did we play last night? is it 4-2-3-1 formation? Where did Tyjon play last night? 

I think judging from comments that Tyjon played as a 10 behind Mafoumbi, with Edmondson wide right and Bloxham wide left, 4-2-3-1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentExile said:

Cotton wool made out of the longest contract we can give him once he turns 17, and then again a year later

For our emotional and mental wellbeing, I think it's best we just all accept right now that he's going the way of Finneran or Phillips and we'll never see him on a full length pro deal that doesn't have a cheap clause.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

For our emotional and mental wellbeing, I think it's best we just all accept right now that he's going the way of Finneran or Phillips and we'll never see him on a full length pro deal that doesn't have a cheap clause.

He has already gone a step further than Finneran in having signed a scholarship deal.

I am hopeful that like Phillips, he may sign a 3 year pro contract when he turns 17 (in March), and I think that having already turned down Prem clubs this summer that he might do this IF he is given a few minutes off the bench before then and can see a pathway.  (given that Leonard is currently injured, he is 3rd in line behind Gueye and Ohashi)

No chance he signs a longer term contract when he is 18 unless Rovers somehow make it to the Prem by then

Edited by KentExile

4 hours ago, KentExile said:

He has already gone a step further than Finneran in having signed a scholarship deal.

I am hopeful that like Phillips, he may sign a 3 year pro contract when he turns 17 (in March), and I think that having already turned down Prem clubs this summer that he might do this IF he is given a few minutes off the bench before then and can see a pathway.  (given that Leonard is currently injured, he is 3rd in line behind Gueye and Ohashi)

No chance he signs a longer term contract when he is 18 unless Rovers somehow make it to the Prem by then

He has gone further so far than Finneran, but if he leaves before the pro deal it won't be much different.

I'd say there is one other chance he doesn't sign the longer term deal - if he doesn't quite fulfil his great potential and starts going backwards. Wouldn't be the first.

8 hours ago, KentExile said:

Cotton wool made out of the longest contract we can give him once he turns 17, and then again a year later

After playing last night Tyjon actually warmed up with the players today. He looks to have a great attitude.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hollowsr said:

Under 18s beat Newcastle this morning 3-1 Dlamini, Vare and Boggan (not sure whats happened with his Macclesfield loan) with the goals

Was just a short term month for a loan to Macc I think?

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What formation did we play last night? is it 4-2-3-1 formation? Where did Tyjon play last night? 

It seemed more 4231 to me last night, with Tyjon in the "10" role.

Bloxham left and Edmondson right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hollowsr said:

Under 18s beat Newcastle this morning 3-1 Dlamini, Vare and Boggan (not sure whats happened with his Macclesfield loan) with the goals

Cheer up Rory Finneran 😝

Finneran wasn't playing. As far as I can see, his only appearance for them so far was in the PL Cup, and he was subbed off after 46 mins. Not sure if it's injuries or what.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, hollowsr said:

Cheer up Rory Finneran 😝

I’m pretty sure that the PT nature of Macclesfield means he is allowed to continue playing academy footy for Rovers.

• Like 3

On 31/08/2024 at 12:23, KentExile said:

England youth call puts him more prominently on the radar of the oligarch clubs (and some others). Will be hard but, perhaps, with incentives and possibly, release clause, could be persuaded. It's easy to say and basically every clubs loses promising talents but our back line could include Ashley Phillips, Flavien Boyomo (recently signed by Osasuna) as well as, our star defender, Hayden Carter, now that Scott Wharton has succumbed to injuries, in an alternate universe. 

On Boggan, it seems as if it's one of those youth loans, similar to work experience, where the idea is to be around a first team and probably, Macclesfield treat it as a trial to see if he's good enough for a longer term loan and games. Meanwhile, he can play for the Rovers U18s. Just a guess.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2024 at 08:03, arbitro said:

Perhaps not. Physically he is a year or two away from that in my opinion but the rest of his game is good enough. I get the same excitement about him as I did with Adam Wharton at a similar age. 

Well he might not be ready but I think if we rate him we have to play him. Can't let Tyjon leave like Phillips and Finneran.

I think as a club we are going to have to change our philosophy to play the best prospects we have very young so we can keep them. The bench being 9 spots helps a lot... using two of the spots for the best academy talent does not seem unreasonable.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well he might not be ready but I think if we rate him we have to play him. Can't let Tyjon leave like Phillips and Finneran.

I think as a club we are going to have to change our philosophy to play the best prospects we have very young so we can keep them. The bench being 9 spots helps a lot... using two of the spots for the best academy talent does not seem unreasonable.

Totally disagree with this.

Results come first.Even if we gave the kids games it no guarantee they will stay. 

So season before last when we were going for top 6 , you would have given Phillips more starts In the hope he would stay with us? 

If they ain't ready you don't play them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Totally disagree with this.

Results come first.Even if we gave the kids games it no guarantee they will stay. 

So season before last when we were going for top 6 , you would have given Phillips more starts In the hope he would stay with us? 

If they ain't ready you don't play them.

Not starts, but minutes from the bench.

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not starts, but minutes from the bench.

We do give our talents time on the bench .Phillips was on the bench most weeks ,and got a nice bit of gametime 

Finnernan again made the bench last season, and got some minutes but he was 15, I'd be absolutely raging with the club if they where bringing him on in important games just on the hope he might stick around for a bit and venkys might get a transfer fee down the line

If tyjon is ready to contribute, then yes he should get some minutes, but if he isn't ready then I wouldn't be giving him minutes purely to get him to sign a contract here 

You don't know which way it will go with kids that age, Batty was being talked about along with A.Wharton and Phillips, now he looks way way off being a championship player 

• Like 1

On 02/09/2024 at 16:14, riverholmes said:

England youth call puts him more prominently on the radar of the oligarch clubs (and some others). Will be hard but, perhaps, with incentives and possibly, release clause, could be persuaded. It's easy to say and basically every clubs loses promising talents but our back line could include Ashley Phillips, Flavien Boyomo (recently signed by Osasuna) as well as, our star defender, Hayden Carter, now that Scott Wharton has succumbed to injuries, in an alternate universe. 

On Boggan, it seems as if it's one of those youth loans, similar to work experience, where the idea is to be around a first team and probably, Macclesfield treat it as a trial to see if he's good enough for a longer term loan and games. Meanwhile, he can play for the Rovers U18s. Just a guess.

Nah, the PL teams know who the promising talents are in every other Academy. They're not mugs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I wonder if any of the new signings will play for the U21s tonight. I would have thought it would be an ideal opportunity with there being no game this week-end

Mafoumbi aside, no