BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

They had the better of the first half. We had the better of the second half inspite of losing two goals. Stritch missed a sitter of an header before they scored. For the first goal they had two men back nearer the half way line for the corner and the taker, plus the keeper back. So I make that 7 attacking the ball and 11 defending it yet they still scored.  For the second goal it was worse because they kept three back out of the box and we still couldn’t clear the ball sucessfully.

Nobody was great, we look really short of a cutting edge. We were over playing the ball forward and too many players wanted to take a touch too many. Lyon were workmanlike and physical but they didn’t have any players I’d like to see at Rovers. Their No7 looked handy in the first half but faded.

Our No 4 had a great run  in the first half that deserved a goal and I thought he was our best. I agree the left back played well also. The keeper didn’t make a save and picked two out of the net. His distribution was decent but he’s there to keep the ball out of the net.

A shout out to Accy Stanley for making a real effort to put the game on and make everybody welcome.;

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

A decent watch with both teams having a go and I thought a draw would have been a fair result. Once again Litherland, Caddick and Powell were the stand out players for me. One frustration on the night was players wanting an extra touch or looking to pass when I felt they could have got a shot away. In fairness this seems to be a trait that has crept into football perhaps in pursuit of scoring the perfect goal. © Guardiola.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

A decent watch with both teams having a go and I thought a draw would have been a fair result. Once again Litherland, Caddick and Powell were the stand out players for me. One frustration on the night was players wanting an extra touch or looking to pass when I felt they could have got a shot away. In fairness this seems to be a trait that has crept into football perhaps in pursuit of scoring the perfect goal. © Guardiola.

I liked the advice one of the centre backs gave Powell - “ Fucking run ! “

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rigger said:

A pretty poor performance, no cutting edge. I doubt if anyone from that squad is going to make the step-up to the first team, anytime soon.

A concern for Rovers as we are rather dependent on youth players developing and filling out the squad. There’s still some promise in there and time to develop.

I wonder if the new PL2 format is negative for Rovers. I don’t follow it closely but my instinct is that not having relegation may lead to reduction in sense of jeopardy and competition. And a risk of complacency? There may be logistical reasons for it but I can’t really see the pros.

4 hours ago, riverholmes said:

A concern for Rovers as we are rather dependent on youth players developing and filling out the squad. There’s still some promise in there and time to develop.

I wonder if the new PL2 format is negative for Rovers. I don’t follow it closely but my instinct is that not having relegation may lead to reduction in sense of jeopardy and competition. And a risk of complacency? There may be logistical reasons for it but I can’t really see the pros.

You could argue it's negative for all the clubs for the same reason. But the Prem clubs have always been able to accumulate more youngsters and get them better loans.

Could be part of why the club have become more active in loaning out youngsters to senior levels, even if those levels are hardly impressive, as they may be worried about how sanitised the PL2 has become.

• Like 1

Valentine Joseph … He’s a striker but built like Sinclar Armstrong … He was knocking over the Liverpool defenders like skittles …. Closed down the keeper nicked the ball off him & stuck it in the nets… Think he’s still growing !! 

• Like 3

A very good performance from the Rovers under 17's (I wasn't aware until today that was an age group) as we managed to hold City to a creditable draw. We took an early lead and rode our luck at times but two quick goals gave City the initiative but great credit to Rovers as they didn't let it affect them and got the equaliser. City's first goal was a result of the Rovers right back over playing and losing possession. Two fantastic saves from Wolstencroft in the Rovers goal in stoppage time ensured what is a great point in the PL 2 under 17's cup. I liked the look of Joseph Valentin at centre forward. A beast of a big who looks a player. Both centre halves were composed and defended well against City's quick strikers.

• Like 4