BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

What do you think bringing in revenue will achieve?

I think selling Rhodes will just continue the dumbing down, we're quickly getting to the point where we have no salable assets, what then? the debt is still going to be massive, income will continue to fall as fans fall away from the club, so players at the bottom end of the championship/league one will be where our ambition sits, thats not going to cut it really.

If people aren't willing to protest, to try and at least put a bit of pressure on, then its all just going to slip away quietly until we're just another mid table championship club that once ruled supreme, and was destroyed by 3 thick foreign owners.

How sad is that? its even hard for me to write it.....

It's so difficult explaining this over and over and over again Gav. Best to quit while you are ahead, and BTW I agree with you.

Shelfy has already convinced many, that only option out is to sell Rhodes, and then we can sign loads of players. It's not going to happen , he is just spouting bullshit to please fans.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giles Coke and Jonathan Douglas are to join Ipswich.

I've got to say I would be horrified had we signed either of those two, yet Mick McCarthy is going to demonstrate his excellent managerial skills again by signing those two and no doubt will have Ipswich at the top end of the division once again.

The article sounded to me like we'd been beaten to the punch on Le Fondre, therefore he downplayed any interest we ever had, and we've realised Maynard and Delfy are duds and haven't got a clue what to do next.

Our management never had a clue in the first place. That bunch of no marks will never get us anywhere. All the other management teams run rings around them.

• Backroom

I've got to say I would be horrified had we signed either of those two, yet Mick McCarthy is going to demonstrate his excellent managerial skills again by signing those two and no doubt will have Ipswich at the top end of the division once again.

Hold your horses there pal. Mick's a good manager for this league, but unless Murphy has another wonder-season Ipswich won't break the top 6. They're going to need better than Coke and Douglas to seriously push on in what will, imo, be a much tougher league this season.

Big Mick will probably have is low budget side up at the right end again. Doubt they'll go up because ultimately they aren't good enough. They'll be up there because their manager knows how to ring everything out of what he's got. Wish we had the ambition to do similar.

They're all journeymen Athlete, poor players looking for 12 months contracts, trying to make a living, not the sort of players to get us anywhere near the playoffs or they'd not be speaking to the likes of us.

Selling the divisions best striker to accommodate these types of players is just suicidal in my opinion.

People are forgetting, with Rhodes and Gestede we didn't get anywhere near the playoffs, without them i dread to think where we'll be, league one bound I'd guess if the past 2 seasons are anything to go off.

Correct Gav it's important to keep JR otherwise we're in the mire

Jr's record in the last 6 seasons is phenomenal he's the best striker outside the premership yet some clowns want to get rid of him.. Some people need to give their heads a wobble

Hold your horses there pal. Mick's a good manager for this league, but unless Murphy has another wonder-season Ipswich won't break the top 6. They're going to need better than Coke and Douglas to seriously push on in what will, imo, be a much tougher league this season.

Thing is DE, MM will probably at the minimum get them close. Our management team will just huff and puff through the season

Big Mick will probably have is low budget side up at the right end again. Doubt they'll go up because ultimately they aren't good enough. They'll be up there because their manager knows how to ring everything out of what he's got. Wish we had the ambition to do similar.

And if the Venksters had any sense/or cared, they'd have offered Mick double his wages, plus nice appropriate bonuses for promotion/top 6 etc.

• Backroom

Thing is DE, MM will probably at the minimum get them close. Our management team will just huff and puff through the season

Yeah, I imagine Ipswich will be around 7th-10th this season. It's possible they could sneak 6th again but they'll either need Murphy to repeat last season's freak run of goalscoring form or for McGoldrick to actually stay fit for more than two matches. I don't think either are particularly likely but they'll certainly be top half regardless. Their outlook is certainly far brighter than ours.

Not quite. Shaw didn't say that. From the LT.

Shaw - “We’re still under an embargo but we’re getting nearer and nearer to the point where we will be trading within the rules and we’ll come out of the embargo.”

LT - It is understood that Rovers, who are in regular contact with the Football League, would have their embargo lifted if they sold a player for a similar fee to the one they have received for Gestede.

It's got me baffled. We lost £36m in our last set of accounts, we can lose a maximum of £8m per year, and we've passed the deadline for using transfers out to reduce losses in order to get out of the embargo by January. Yet apparently if we ship Rhodes out for £12m or £14m (and lose his wages of £2m/season) we can come out of the embargo immediately, and that is what we're trying to do right now, even though our owners won't even listen to Middlesboro's bid.

It's enough to give a migraine an aspirin.

And if the Venksters had any sense/or cared, they'd have offered Mick double his wages, plus nice appropriate bonuses for promotion/top 6 etc.

I think he'd have had our squad last season in the play offs, especially having the likes of Rudy in there. Wouldn't have been pretty at times but the first thing he'd have done is sort the defence. Even if we hadn't gone up it would have been something concrete to build on this season. Instead we had rotating, squad value football and the farce of messing with keepers and dropping strikers. Some other managers must look at that and think WTF is going over there :blink:

No worries pal. The fact he wanted £16k per week wasn't ideal with the FFP restrictions, again that would have been possible if the Rhodes deal was sorted.

In any event in the likelihood that Rhodes does stay, then Rhodes, combined with Brown (the two work well together) and Delf or Maynard as a 3rd striker would still be one of the best in the league I would say, if bowyer could get Maynard and/or Delf to full potential they would be very handy players.

No it wouldn't! Brown never scores and maynard's always injured and not that good when he is fit. Delfy also has done poorly over the last few seasons. Other than being an easy name for GB to shorten can't see what he brings. There'll be plenty beter strike forces than that one and if Rhodes were injured it'd become the worst in the division.

So you're not disappointed with how things are going Gordon? I've not said the squad was good enough for promotion, but I am saying that the majority of fans understand that promotion is a necessity for the long-term survival of BRFC. Every year we fail to achieve promotion, the bleaker things get and thus, the more disillusioned people become.

You should be angry and disappointed with how things are going, yet I worry you take pleasure out of the scenario Rovers find themselves in, simply because you predicted this and it feeds your ego. Where is your fight, man?

Would you rather Rovers get a freak promotion and you get to eat some humble pie, or see Rovers drop into the abyss and be proven correct? I am concerned that you'd opt for the latter.

Nope I'd love the former to happen however I've prepared for the latter since 2010. I'm just surprised that I appear to be in a minority and that so many people are now only just waking up to the situation.

It was spent. £8m + c£5m in available wages could and should have made us a far stronger squad. As it is, we're no better off for going the way we did. 9th ain't great Rev.

#tedious

People don't consider that 9 clubs got promoted to the Premier league since 2012 without Jordan Rhodes.

Le Fondre is a lower leagues journeyman a decent asset

To date that is all Jordan Rhodes is. :rolleyes:

A "journeyman" doesn't score more than 20 goals a season for 6 years in succession. Rhodes has his faults (which is why he's not playing in the Prem) but he's not your average lower league forward.

Nope I'd love the former to happen however I've prepared for the latter since 2010. I'm just surprised that I appear to be in a minority and that so many people are now only just waking up to the situation.

People don't consider that 9 clubs got promoted to the Premier league since 2012 without Jordan Rhodes.

EH ? 20 plus goals in the last six seasons he's no journeyman Nodrog

Surprised more people have not talked much about shelfies comments..

Shaw said: “Jake is the last of the players who were surplus to requirements and who Gary wanted to move on.

“It’s been a two-and-a-half-year project, basically, going back to your (Danny) Murphys and (Gael) Givets, and Jake is the last one.
“The salaries of the players that have remained are much more under control but, while it doesn’t mean that everything has ended, because there are settlement periods with a lot of these players, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.
“As many Blackburn Rovers fans know, there have been some contracts that, quite frankly, have been unmanageable, and it’s taken a lot of time getting it sorted out because some of the players have not had clubs to move on to. But we have to do what’s in the best interests of the football club.
“There have been an awful lot of names, names that don’t always spring to mind, like your (Simon) Vukcevics and the Portuguese players.
“It’s now up to us to keep trying to build the squad back up under the circumstances we’re currently in.
"We’re still under an embargo but we’re getting nearer and nearer to the point where we will be trading within the rules and we’ll come out of the embargo.”
It's not rocket science working through some of his rubbish.. He talks about players signed on daft wages yet he was a signatory on a many of them... he talks about settlement periods (news from last year about players still being paid despite being given free transfers and playing for other clubs).. I am so sick of this sycophant still being at the club.. He was key in scenarios that put us in this situation from day one Venkys. One key thing he does not say is when we will be out of the embargo.. just we will be trading withing the required limits, I seriously doubt the FA will break the rules (Jan decision and June decisions) for us let alone because Rhodes is sold no matter which club he is sold to.

Paul Taylor is still a free agent - this worries me

ignore pressed wrong quote :)

Surprised more people have not talked much about shelfies comments..

It's not rocket science working through some of his rubbish.. He talks about players signed on daft wages yet he was a signatory on a many of them... he talks about settlement periods (news from last year about players still being paid despite being given free transfers and playing for other clubs).. I am so sick of this sycophant still being at the club.. He was key in scenarios that put us in this situation from day one Venkys. One key thing he does not say is when we will be out of the embargo.. just we will be trading withing the required limits, I seriously doubt the FA will break the rules (Jan decision and June decisions) for us let alone because Rhodes is sold no matter which club he is sold to.

Got a very bad memory has Degsy and a bad habit of pointing the finger of blame away from himself , no mention of the DJ Campbell faxgate or the berg contract, pay offs to his mates Appleton and Agnew etc

If Gutherie-ey does sign I wonder if Evans will be given the boot. CM wise we'd have Guthrie, two of Gaz' boys in Lowe and Williamson in addition to Lenihan who is naturally a midfielder. If it does transpire that Evans is available I'm happy to foot the fuel.

I'd drive Evans wherever he wants... Guthrie any day.

Archived