BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

Couldn't agree more. It's sad that a company like Sky can't recognise the achievement Rovers made and instead of just sweeping it under the carpet, actually give us some credit for something that is unlikely to happen again.

Absolutely. It's weird because Wimbledon beating Liverpool in the FA Cup final in 88 (?) seemed to be generally perceived as this wonderful romantic fairytale whereas as Stuart says we're the one that should never have happened.

Perhaps the difference is that we were actually better than the established superpowers for a period week in week out whereas Wimbledon we're regarded as a one off quirky fluke and no actual threat.

Another winger? Wayhey!!!

Can he also fill in in goal?

Sign him up!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a "witty" Scouser, referring to '95 or just a general thicko.

It is a shame though that Sky can't acknowledge a goal from Shearer in a Rovers shirt. Those had more impact on the PL competition than any screamer he ever scored for Newcastle.

Take your pick ireland-liverpool.jpg

The chances of any of these foreign trialists cutting it in the Championship are slim. The likes of Guthrie, who at least has experience in this division, have a chance.

If it meant the embargo was lifted it surely makes sense to sell Hanley?

That would at least give us the chance to compete in the loan market for up and coming Premier League players.

Given the obvious faith Bowyer has in Hanley I would think he'll fight tooth and nail to keep him.

The chances of any of these foreign trialists cutting it in the Championship are slim. The likes of Guthrie, who at least has experience in this division, have a chance.

If it meant the embargo was lifted it surely makes sense to sell Hanley?

That would at least give us the chance to compete in the loan market for up and coming Premier League players.

Given the obvious faith Bowyer has in Hanley I would think he'll fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Don't worry he's trying to flog Rhodes on the radio.

Have you noticed how in the recent 23 years and counting celebration ads on Sky with Henry cleverly superimposed we've been conveniently airbrushed out of the clips?

Coverage of every other side who has won the PL apart from us and Shearer scoring a cracker in a Newcastle shirt but not a blue and white halved shirt in sight!

That's probably not the reason we didn't speak to them in this instance though. There's probably just not a lot happening.

I get that point

But

They advertising their coverage of the premier league for this coming season and we aren't in it

If we were still in it, then we would have legitimacy in our claims of foul, but alas....

Do you think they may pay more for bragging rights - after all you would be buying Rovers captain - has that ever happened between the two clubs ?

Dyche doesn't work that way - if he's in for him he sees something there. Fans may feel differently of course but it's no basis for a transfer policy.

A sad reflection of the state of the club that four days before the eve of the season we're still rifling through trialists. Either they're good enough or they ain't. This business should have been tied up weeks/months ago.

Shades of Blackpool, obviously nowhere near as bad but we are scrambling around trying to put a squad together. They scrambled around for a team but we are on the same stretch of road now. Another 12 months and we'll be well on the way down it !

A sad reflection of the state of the club that four days before the eve of the season we're still rifling through trialists. Either they're good enough or they ain't. This business should have been tied up weeks/months ago.

so the clubs signing players this week shouldn't bother, especially if they've had them on trial?

You do have to be worried by the lack of activity.

If we're led to believe, we've had a revolving door of trialists throughout the summer which has ramped up significantly over the past few weeks, however, we've signed a grand total of 1 (Koita being another seemingly out of the blue).

They're either that incompetent at the top, which i'm not doubting.

Or they've been informed they could possibly get out the embargo by selling another player. Selling Hanley would meet those needs allowing cash sales/loans to be sanctioned. They'll then give Bowyer a bit of cash (albeit a small amount) to manouever without his hands tied behind his back.

Either strategy is risky, but we are very bloody light on bodies and if they are gambling on the latter scenario they need to be 100% sure that that is the case. Otherwise we're up @#/? creek without a boat.

I get that point

But

They advertising their coverage of the premier league for this coming season and we aren't in it

If we were still in it, then we would have legitimacy in our claims of foul, but alas....

Fair point well made.

I rather took the point of the ads to be celebrating 23 wonderful years of the Premier League and their coverage of it over that time rather than advertising what was coming up.

But I see what you mean.

Look, we knew we would be under an embargo, not yesterday, not last week, not last month. We knew we would be under an embargo for quite some time now, a year at least. If our level of scouting and recruitment is of this standard, where we are still trialing players 3 days before the season starts, then we need to relook at those in charge.

The scouts and Tommy Johnson should have said to Bowyer, this is a good player, trust us Gary, and Bowyer should have said okay guys, I'm going to trust your judgement and get them signed up. A couple of injuries and suspensions , and we are in huge trouble , as this squad is just too light in terms of numbers in.

Look, we knew we would be under an embargo, not yesterday, not last week, not last month. We knew we would be under an embargo for quite some time now, a year at least. If our level of scouting and recruitment is of this standard, where we are still trialing players 3 days before the season starts, then we need to relook at those in charge.

The scouts and Tommy Johnson should have said to Bowyer, this is a good player, trust us Gary, and Bowyer should have said okay guys, I'm going to trust your judgement and get them signed up. A couple of injuries and suspensions , and we are in huge trouble , as this squad is just too light in terms of numbers in.

Haha if only it were THAT easy my friend!! They've had their targets since well before the end of last season...

Unfortunately, when they pick up the phone and you say you only have £10k per week to play with they usually say "that's nice, I'll get back to you at the end of the window" (if I've not got more elsewhere).

How many clubs in the PL have completed their business? Everyone wants more money and is willing to wait until the bitter end...

Seriously Mani, you think i don't know that? I'm talking about Tommy Johnson and Bowyer checking if its a player to make a difference, then asking the question are you happy with 10k, and if the answer is yes, great. However, we have now had trialists in, loads of them who have just taken up valuable time. If you can't make up your mind, if they had targets in mind since last season, knowing the situation. So you had to tell those targets, 10k? No! Okay, next. We are just wasting time, in order to not bring any more players in before deadline.

Haha if only it were THAT easy my friend!! They've had their targets since well before the end of last season...

Unfortunately, when they pick up the phone and you say you only have £10k per week to play with they usually say "that's nice, I'll get back to you at the end of the window" (if I've not got more elsewhere).

How many clubs in the PL have completed their business? Everyone wants more money and is willing to wait until the bitter end...

To be fair if they have had a list of targets then they clearly weren't realistic due to wage demands.

You aren't telling me that everyone out there wants 10k plus. I understand the likes of Guthrie may be like that however they should have been able to find a large pool of players available for less.

Surely it is the scouts job to identify the most suitable players in that bracket and get them in early.

League 1, 2 and some other championship clubs don't have the budget we do even under an embargo..there is also a huge pool of cheap players in Europe.

Seems we are still reliant on some agents chucking 'players'our way.

To be fair if they have had a list of targets then they clearly weren't realistic due to wage demands.

You aren't telling me that everyone out there wants 10k plus. I understand the likes of Guthrie may be like that however they should have been able to find a large pool of players available for less.

Surely it is the scouts job to identify the most suitable players in that bracket and get them in early.

League 1, 2 and some other championship clubs don't have the budget we do even under an embargo..there is also a huge pool of cheap players in Europe.

Seems we are still reliant on some agents chucking 'players'our way.

Your right a certain scouse one

Archived