SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edin Dzeko going to Roma for £14m.

Rovers want £14m for Rhodes.

Who would score most goals in championship?

It seems madness to compare them, but you have to consider the fact that City deem him surplus to requirements, as well as his salary and the fact that Rhodes is British, which skews his value. Still, Dzeko all the way.

Seriously Mani, you think i don't know that? I'm talking about Tommy Johnson and Bowyer checking if its a player to make a difference, then asking the question are you happy with 10k, and if the answer is yes, great. However, we have now had trialists in, loads of them who have just taken up valuable time. If you can't make up your mind, if they had targets in mind since last season, knowing the situation. So you had to tell those targets, 10k? No! Okay, next. We are just wasting time, in order to not bring any more players in before deadline.

This is really starting to annoy me. When Hughes used to bring in players on trial it was prudent and astute. Bowyer does it and it's dithering and pointless.

If players (Guthrie is a great example) think they can get a move easily they won't entertain coming on trial. Give it a few weeks and a lack of phone calls and the picture changes. Put yourself in Guthrie's shoes, do you accept 10k pw now, when 1) another club might still come in and offer more and 2) rovers themselves have said the embargo might be lifted and therefore your 10k pw demand becomes 15k pw. It makes no sense for him to commit until the last minute.

This is really starting to annoy me. When Hughes used to bring in players on trial it was prudent and astute. Bowyer does it and it's dithering and pointless.

If players (Guthrie is a great example) think they can get a move easily they won't entertain coming on trial. Give it a few weeks and a lack of phone calls and the picture changes. Put yourself in Guthrie's shoes, do you accept 10k pw now, when 1) another club might still come in and offer more and 2) rovers themselves have said the embargo might be lifted and therefore your 10k pw demand becomes 15k pw. It makes no sense for him to commit until the last minute.

How does that help us PV? for them waiting on the last minute to make a decision, means we have to wait and its not ideal when the season starts in 3 days time. Hughes had the pulling power, and he didnt have an embargo over his head, so its a poor comparison. We knew about the embargo ages ago, if we binging in players om trial who are going to mess us around, knowing what we can only pay them, then we shouldnt be bringing them in, its as simple as that.

Of course we have to be patient and make sure we do a good signing and we have to wait to see who we are able to get.

Of course the available players want to wait to see if they can get more money elsewhere. Ffs. That is plain logic.

Also I think brining in trialists may make the already established players more competitive. Not a bad thing.

How does that help us PV? for them waiting on the last minute to make a decision, means we have to wait and its not ideal when the season starts in 3 days time. Hughes had the pulling power, and he didnt have an embargo over his head, so its a poor comparison. We knew about the embargo ages ago, if we binging in players om trial who are going to mess us around, knowing what we can only pay them, then we shouldnt be bringing them in, its as simple as that.

What if no one else want them and they have to say yes to our offer and we get a good player on our books cheaper than you would expect.

What if no one else want them and they have to say yes to our offer and we get a good player on our books cheaper than you would expect.

You missing the point mate. It's not about them saying yes, its the time taken for them to agree, knowing our terms and conditions.

What if another club came in last minute, and they went somewhere else? What happens to us? Don't miss the point here Alexanders, because we need players in well before the season starts. Not have to wait on players who know the terms, but messes us around In order to see if they can get more somewhere else

Seriously Mani, you think i don't know that? I'm talking about Tommy Johnson and Bowyer checking if its a player to make a difference, then asking the question are you happy with 10k, and if the answer is yes, great. However, we have now had trialists in, loads of them who have just taken up valuable time. If you can't make up your mind, if they had targets in mind since last season, knowing the situation. So you had to tell those targets, 10k? No! Okay, next. We are just wasting time, in order to not bring any more players in before deadline.

None of the trialists were first choices. Or if they were then there are other issues which need to be looked at like questions around their attitude and ability to work within the group.

Trialists don't "waste time" pal, the negotiations with others continue.

Plus, the answer is never usually a "no" from a player. They keep their options open.

To be fair if they have had a list of targets then they clearly weren't realistic due to wage demands.

You aren't telling me that everyone out there wants 10k plus. I understand the likes of Guthrie may be like that however they should have been able to find a large pool of players available for less.

Surely it is the scouts job to identify the most suitable players in that bracket and get them in early.

League 1, 2 and some other championship clubs don't have the budget we do even under an embargo..there is also a huge pool of cheap players in Europe.

Seems we are still reliant on some agents chucking 'players'our way.

Haha, so you're lambasting them for wanting the very best players for the money they have? This is painful lads.

Why do you think people shop at the end of season sales? The answer - because you get good quality produce on the cheap!

We have had trialists in on a regular basis for years - I can certainly remember some turning out for the Reserves in the early seventies - so that is nothing new. Kenny had any number coming in and then turning them down. It's the way most clubs work not just the Rovers.

You missing the point mate. It's not about them saying yes, its the time taken for them to agree, knowing our terms and conditions.

What if another club came in last minute, and they went somewhere else? What happens to us? Don't miss the point here Alexanders, because we need players in well before the season starts. Not have to wait on players who know the terms, but messes us around In order to see if they can get more somewhere else

This is football. We are pretty much last chance saloon for most players and they wont come here until they know they can't get more/a better club elsewhere. Key point of getting them on trial is to show them training ground, team spirit, management etc.

You cannot turn players down because they wont sign on straight away, doesn't work like that.

I hope we have several alternatives lined up and of course another club can come in last minute. We have to accept that a player won't say yes when he believes that someone else will give better terms and conditions than us. That might even be down to contract length instead of p/w. We cant put ourselves in a position where we are stuck with a player who doesnt perform. It is down to really small details whether we decide to go for a player or not. We have to accept it.

I am a member of the board of two different football clubs (one non-league and one in top division) and it is remarkable how thin the line is between sucess and failure. Especially considering all the external opinions and framework.

Exactly...just moaning for moanings sake IMO.

• Backroom

Under Hughes did we have trailists coming in a week or less before the season starts? Genuine question, I can't really remember.

The problem with bringing in trialists so late is that they haven't had a proper pre-season or any time to gel with the squad. That's especially a problem when we're bringing in the likes of Guthrie and Maynard who are prone to injury. A lack of pre-season will just make things worse.

Although, judging from our injury list last season, you're just as likely to pick up an injury at Rovers if you're perfectly healthy, so maybe it doesn't matter.

is there anything in FFP rules saying that we can insert a clause into contracts saying something along the line of "as soon as BRFC transfer embargo is lifted PLAYER A will receive 5k/wk additional wage" So pretty much dangling a carrot to get players to sign. (Hope that makes sense)

is there anything in FFP rules saying that we can insert a clause into contracts saying something along the line of "as soon as BRFC transfer embargo is lifted PLAYER A will receive 5k/wk additional wage" So pretty much dangling a carrot to get players to sign. (Hope that makes sense)

Good question. I think that is very much in their thought process.

Every club in the land have trailist even the mighty man too.its just another stick to beat Mr Boywer with.Guthrie will think he's worth more than 10k.Delafonso will be praying rovers offer him terms,but were not sure what's happening with wantaway Rhodes.

will you stop calling Bowyer Mr Bowyer lol... rather coach Bowyer, or GB or just Bowyer. or am i being miserable with you again?

If there is a player that has proved he is up to standard, and I am talking about the likes of Guthrie and Kim, and the manager clearly wants them signed up asap so that he can plan ahead with them in his squad, then there should be a deadline put on our contract offer.

I can completely understand players wanting to keep their options open for as long as possible in the event that our situation with the embargo changes or another club comes along and offers more money, but there has to be a cut off point. The season is upon us and we need to be there or very nearly there with our business for the summer.

So Guthrie should have been made an offer and should have a week to give us his yes or no answer. No more waiting. If its a yes then he needs to sign up so he can prepare for Wolves on Saturday with the squad. If its a no he can go on trial elsewhere and see how many other Championship clubs are willing/able to pay him more than £10k a week.

I think some people would be surprised by how few Championship clubs are able or willing to pay players in excess of £10,000 per week. I don't think it is some huge disadvantage for Rovers from a salary perspective. The biggest issue is our inability to pay a signing on, transfer or loan fee and being limited to £600,000 including bonuses and agents fees.

For example Ipswich - have just signed Giles Coke and Jonathan Douglas - no way on earth are those two being paid £10,000 per week. Infact their biggest earner was Paul Taylor who was on £10,000 per week last season. Yet Ipswich have managed to assemble a competitive Championship squad despite a self-imposed wage ceiling. There are lots of other clubs who would consider £10,000 to be a huge wage.

My prediction is that Rovers are actually offering Guthrie significantly less than £10,000 per week, and the wait is due to Guthrie wanting closer to the £10k a week figure knowing that Rovers are able to go higher if they want to.

The new FIFA Rankings are out tomorrow. Since the last ranking South Korea have played 1 and won 1 and they play Japan today. Now if they beat Japan they will enter the top 50 so can we then sign Kim? I think someone connected to the club should get this message across to the people who do all the player signings. They may already know but it may be worth getting the situation highlighted

The new FIFA Rankings are out tomorrow. Since the last ranking South Korea have played 1 and won 1 and they play Japan today. Now if they beat Japan they will enter the top 50 so can we then sign Kim? I think someone connected to the club should get this message across to the people who do all the player signings. They may already know but it may be worth getting the situation highlighted

Club has to wait 120 days before it can re-appeal

It seems to me to be absolutely ridiculous that our transfer activity is affected by or is dependent on the outcome of a match on the other side of the world between South Korea and Japan. Sums up the FA and their pathetic set of rules.

Archived