BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, living in burnley I could name you a few girls who have slept with him! Or claim too, he used to spend a lot of time in the club illuminati did Ings and I think he rarely left there alone at the end of a night out haha

Him and Trippier - My daughter is 23 and he tried it with her, fortunately she's not impressed by the wag thing and thought they both looked like monkeys - many of her friends were less choosy!

I will say little on this signing as I will have to use swear words other than another mediocre player taking up squad spaces

The fact that he is still young, he might turn out to be useful, he was highly rated at Villa when he first broke through

What happened in the nine minutes between these posts?

15 goals in 145 games. Yikes! How many did Rhodes get in similar? 73 or something was it?

But Rhodes is slow and Delfy is taller and quicker so he's definitely better and going to contribute more to the team...

This argument is endless on this board... Which is more important for a striker - goals or supporting the team as if somehow they are mutually exclusive options? The only sensible answer is a mix of the two.

Goals arent everything. For example in the Championship Rhodes would, imo, score more goals than the fabulous 2007 model Bellamy. But would I rather have Rhodes than vintage Bellamy? Of course not because while Rhodes would bag 20 and Bellamy would probably get 15-18, Bellamy would also lay on a hell of a lot of goals for others. We would also concede less as the opposition would be absolutely cacking themselves about Bellamy getting in behind and play deeper and cede possession.

Rhodes is the second best finisher I've ever seen in the shirt (after Shearer), but his allround game leaves a lot to be desired. Id take a striker who scores 5-8 less a season if they offered more for the oppo defenders to worry about when they are outside their box. The Wolves game on Saturday will be a great example (sticking my neck out a bit here..) We are looking at playing a 4231 to try and win the midfield battle. Have a Gestede, Bellamy, Yakubu etc as the lone striker and happy days. They will get in behind, or hold up, or win in the air and allow the attacking mids to get close and play off. The oppos defenders get worried, drop deep, double mark etc. The attacking mids find space, break into the box. All good.

However Rhodes just can't do that stuff consistently, so the Wolves CBs will push up and isolate Rhodes out of the box where he is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Beat him in the air, bully him on the floor. It's a problem.

My opinion anyway. Let's see what happens on Saturday.

Delfouneso worth a one year punt. Had enough about him as a younger player to play for England under 21 and was highly rated at one point.

Career not quite taken off. The same could have been said about David Bentley before he joined us. If he turns into half the player DB was then we'll be happy.

If hes rubbish, then this time next year he wont be our concern.

Low risk, high reward signing.

Plus he's already scored more the Chris Brown has in a Rovers shirt! 1 friendly goal!

This argument is endless on this board... Which is more important for a striker - goals or supporting the team as if somehow they are mutually exclusive options? The only sensible answer is a mix of the two.

Goals arent everything. For example in the Championship Rhodes would, imo, score more goals than the fabulous 2007 model Bellamy. But would I rather have Rhodes than vintage Bellamy? Of course not because while Rhodes would bag 20 and Bellamy would probably get 15-18, Bellamy would also lay on a hell of a lot of goals for others. We would also concede less as the opposition would be absolutely cacking themselves about Bellamy getting in behind and play deeper and cede possession.

Rhodes is the second best finisher I've ever seen in the shirt (after Shearer), but his allround game leaves a lot to be desired. Id take a striker who scores 5-8 less a season if they offered more for the oppo defenders to worry about when they are outside their box. The Wolves game on Saturday will be a great example (sticking my neck out a bit here..) We are looking at playing a 4231 to try and win the midfield battle. Have a Gestede, Bellamy, Yakubu etc as the lone striker and happy days. They will get in behind, or hold up, or win in the air and allow the attacking mids to get close and play off. The oppos defenders get worried, drop deep, double mark etc. The attacking mids find space, break into the box. All good.

However Rhodes just can't do that stuff consistently, so the Wolves CBs will push up and isolate Rhodes out of the box where he is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Beat him in the air, bully him on the floor. It's a problem.

My opinion anyway. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Well-reasoned. I agree Rhodes's game is lacking in a lot of areas. I just find it funny that Rudy didn't come in for similar criticisms as Rhodes assisted more goals last season. Gestede's stature gave him a bit of a free pass in that regard and many saw things that didn't happen, i.e. saw Gestede contributing more to open play than Rhodes.

Rhodes contributed 20 goals and 5 assists last season I think. Only three players (Cairney, Conway, Marshall) contributed more assists. I do think Rhodes's deficiencies would be highlighted less if Bowyer's tactics weren't focused on lumping up in the air around the opposition's 6'4 centre halves. It is about finding that balance though.

Him and Trippier - My daughter is 23 and he tried it with her, fortunately she's not impressed by the wag thing and thought they both looked like monkeys - many of her friends were less choosy!

I was going to post the obvious, but I'm clearly going soft in my old age, so I'll show you some respect and show restraint.

Now uck off, this is a Rovers transfer thread.

I see Delfouneso as a squad player. Does have pace and can play both wide positions and up front. So does give the manager options

Our first team isn't good enough. Why are we buying players if it's not to improve the team?

Our first team isn't good enough. Why are we buying players if it's not to improve the team?

well Delfouneso lost his shooting boots at Blackpool and what I've seen of him in friendlies I hope he's a bench warmer with Browny

Good job! Your nephew would have been devastated...

;)

I quite like all our other signings. This one however looks very poor. He has played a lot at our level and even in League One and never scored acceptably anywhere. His stats are 15 goals in 145 games.

That's about one in ten. For a striker that is totally appalling. Even for a midfielder its bad.

Love him to prove me wrong but this is real desperate stuff.

His stats are very poor for a striker some defenders have a better strike rate....very underwhelmed over this one

Bit underwhelmed by Delfueneso but gave Lowe a torrid time (for what thats worth) last season at Blackpool. As an out and out striker? No. As a winger? Could be ok. One year deal sensible, gives him something to prove.

Surely 6 months would have sufficed and after 6 months he got another if he'd pulled his tripe out.

The fact that he signed a contract with Blackburn shows he was at last chance saloon anyway

Oh well. And here's me thinking Shelfy said we can't throw contracts round willy nilly anymore? (even though he's the twunt who threw most of them)

Just a different version of Varney but we are desperate and it's a body with a bit of experience through the door at least. If it's 0-0 on Sat at 65 mins he'll probably be on for Rhodes :blink:

Christ on a bike I hope not! Just stopped celebrating the back of him.

I really dont see Marshall being unhappy at Rovers at all myself.

The team is being built around him IMO with him playing the 10 role this season.

Apart from the significant weakening of the squad, missing promotion by miles twice, a good mate already gone, being our reserve right back and the generally unprofessional way we do things - there's no reason for him to be unhappy.

As for built around him even our magic strikers and player of the season were randomly dropped last year so not much security in that even if it's true.

• Moderation Lead

A bit of an over - reaction to the Delfouneso signing for me, he's got some pace, he's a big lad and he has something to prove. He's young(ish) as well, so he might turn out to be a decent squad player.

At Blackpool away last season he gave our defence a torrid time (though granted that doesn't say much!)

Just a different version of Varney but we are desperate and it's a body with a bit of experience through the door at least. If it's 0-0 on Sat at 65 mins he'll probably be on for Rhodes :blink:

I know this is one of those things I should keep in my head BUT I quite liked Varney. He was at times the only player running forwards into the box. He actually made defenders have to move and that did create problems in his cameo appearances. His finishing was poor but he never look far off a goal. Like quite a few players, he wasn't remotely given a chance here.

I know this is one of those things I should keep in my head BUT I quite liked Varney. He was at times the only player running forwards into the box. He actually made defenders have to move and that did create problems in his cameo appearances. His finishing was poor but he never look far off a goal. Like quite a few players, he wasn't remotely given a chance here.

I was with you until the last line. He had plenty of chances.

Missed most of them. ^_^

Archived