BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

Up front then it's Gestede, King and Varney out and Koita and Delfy in. I was hoping we wouldn't actually sign Delfy and that someone better would come in as on the face of it we've been significantly weakened upfront unless one of them turns out to be a passable replacement for Gestede OR there's another loanee yet to come in.

Vital as mustard said we hang onto Rhodes.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up front then it's Gestede, King and Varney out and Koita and Delfy in. I was hoping we wouldn't actually sign Delfy and that someone better would come in as on the face of it we've been significantly weakened upfront unless one of them turns out to be a passable replacement for Gestede OR there's another loanee yet to come in.

Reluctantly I agree with this.... what a stupid position to be in where we can't accept a ridiculously inflated fee for a Championship striker because of a genuine fear that we couldn't replace him with 3 or 4 players to improve us, as would easily be the case without this embargo.

Continue to be plagued by the idiocy of the last 5 years.

Reluctantly I agree with this.... what a stupid position to be in where we can't accept a ridiculously inflated fee for a Championship striker because of a genuine fear that we couldn't replace him with 3 or 4 players to improve us, as would easily be the case without this embargo.

Continue to be plagued by the idiocy of the last 5 years.

Jimmy, please name one occasion when we've sold a marquis player, Shearer, Duff, etc, replaced them with 3 or 4 cheaper ones and improved the side overall?

Spurs with Bale? Liverpool with Suarez?

It never works out as hoped and just makes us worse imo.

I concede that there is a slightly stronger argument for doing this currently with us being under embargo. But normally it's a recipe for disaster in my experience.

Welcome Nate. Hope you succed more than Browny. Happy Times'!

Probably loanies next.

Can't really recall watching Delfuenso much. Those who have seen him ... does he have a decent turn of pace? If he has he might work well with Brown.

Mates just been speaking to Lowe, just text me this...

Lowe's words 'grants not going Burnley, marsh happy, Rhodes happy' he followed it up with 'what's Rhodes not got to be happy about he gets paid @#/? loads for playing football'

What happened in the nine minutes between these posts?

I was thinking that myself. I've always had that sense that he comes across as the kind of fella who could argue with himself in a phone box and those two posts seem to confirm it.

Just watched the interview with Delfy after signing and he came across pretty well. Seemed hungry and determined to make this chance count and acknowledged that his career had had it's ups and down and he should've scored a lot more goals. Also mentioned pace as an attribute.

Jimmy, please name one occasion when we've sold a marquis player, Shearer, Duff, etc, replaced them with 3 or 4 cheaper ones and improved the side overall?

It's not Jimmy's fault.... it's the other teams who wont let us play with 14 players. ^_^

Also we swapped Bellamy / Santa Cruz / Benny Mac without weakening the team appreciably. A club should always be on it's front foot and be pro-active but in reallity most are reactive to their cost.

Seemed hungry and determined to make this chance count and acknowledged that his career had had it's ups and down

I think I'd have described it the other way around. Up and downs. But he had a very good reputation as a lad. Can only hope the penny really has dropped and he starts to fulfil that potential. Won't hold my breath but I'm not writing him off.

I'm quite happy with the signing, a Blackpool fan I know says he was appalling but I genuinely think he may be ok here

He could be good signing if he gets his head down and work hard and prove to ppl that he is good player like Gestede did when he came here

I was thinking that myself. I've always had that sense that he comes across as the kind of fella who could argue with himself in a phone box and those two posts seem to confirm it.

Really?? Do you know me? I think you are confusing me with chaddy.

Delfy is better than varney; King didn't really contribute much here apart from the odd game here and there so there's no reason to think Koita may be an improvement; Gestede is going to be impossible to replace but a good premier loan striker is needed.

I agree it's vital to keep Rhodes (which I think we will).

I think we've adequately replaced King and Cairney but not Gestede.

Can't really recall watching Delfuenso much. Those who have seen him ... does he have a decent turn of pace? If he has he might work well with Brown.

Stop it theno. Are you on the wind up?

Gord, just imagine Brown and Delfouneso up top. For all we know, their styles of play may compliment each other but it's crazy to think it would be an improvement on Rhodes alone up top with Marshall or someone in the hole. There's no way I can believe that such a change would benefit the team and result in improved results.

One thing I will say to chaddy, you keep mentioning how the team will be built around Marshall as no.10. What evidence is there to suggest GB will do this? Just off the back of a couple of pre-season games? Whilst I agree it might benefit the team and I'd like to see it, let's just wait and see what the starting XI is vs Wolves and more importantly whether we stick with such a system or change it early on. We could see 4-4-2, we could see 4-5-1 or anything. We don't know what system Bowyer will adopt or whether the football will be an improvement on last season.

Holloway's thoughts on Rhodes are interesting... looks like we wouldn't have him if he was in charge. Easier to say as a "pundit" though.

"Gary Bowyer has really stabilised Blackburn and I actually think they'll be better without Jordan Rhodes, should he finally go. He's a goalscorer but it's difficult to play someone alongside him so they could well end up having a stronger unit."

Really?? Do you know me? I think you are confusing me with chaddy.

You always remind me of that line in The Smiths song "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I'm miserable now" (showing my age I know).

Supporting Rovers seems to bring you a lot more pain and angst than pleasure.

Still, each to their own and back to the transfer thread...

You always remind me of that line in The Smiths song "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I'm miserable now" (showing my age I know).

Supporting Rovers seems to bring you a lot more pain and angst than pleasure.

Still, each to their own and back to the transfer thread...

Brilliant song, brilliant band :tu:

We could see 4-4-2, we could see 4-5-1 or anything. We don't know what system Bowyer will adopt or whether the football will be an improvement on last season.

Does Bowyer even know?

Holloway's thoughts on Rhodes are interesting... looks like we wouldn't have him if he was in charge. Easier to say as a "pundit" though.

"Gary Bowyer has really stabilised Blackburn and I actually think they'll be better without Jordan Rhodes, should he finally go. He's a goalscorer but it's difficult to play someone alongside him so they could well end up having a stronger unit."

This echoes the opinions of quite a few of us on here. It is a tough decision and on paper it does sound idiotic but accomodating someone who 'only' scores goals does in ways weaken the team as (like Gordon says and often gets it in the neck off some) it is at times like playing with 10 men.

Archived