BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

This echoes the opinions of quite a few of us on here. It is a tough decision and on paper it does sound idiotic but accomodating someone who 'only' scores goals does in ways weaken the team as (like Gordon says and often gets it in the neck off some) it is at times like playing with 10 men.

Rhodes may be Gordon's public enemy but don't believe the hype.

Use your eyes and watch what Rhodes does when he doesn't have the ball (as well as his prolific record).

FFS though, only Rovers fans could see the country's 5-year top scorer as the weak link - and champion the likes of Jason Lowe and Gary Bowyer who've done nowt and will do nowt.

It's pretty pathetic really but please carry on. :rolleyes:

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use your eyes and watch what Rhodes does when he doesn't have the ball (as well as his prolific record).

FFS though, only Rovers fans could see the country's 5-year top scorer as the weak link - and champion the likes of Jason Lowe and Gary Bowyer who've done nowt and will do nowt.

I remember the likes of Benni Mac and Andy Cole (to a lesser extent) they were both what you could probably class as lazy buggers, but they scored goals.

Irrational hatred of Jason Lowe is pretty pathetic too.

As for Rhodes, I've watched him off the ball alot and although he improved last year he still doesn't work hard enough for me. He's not a weak link by any means but his poor hold-up play is one of the reasons we are under pressure so much as a team and concede so many goals.

As for Rhodes, I've watched him off the ball alot and although he improved last year he still doesn't work hard enough for me. He's not a weak link by any means but his poor hold-up play is one of the reasons we are under pressure so much as a team and concede so many goals.

I don't hate Jason Lowe. I'll genuinely wish him all the best when he leaves.

You must be right though, because our awful defence and non-existent midfield (both of which have been in dire need of strengthening for the last few years) had nothing to do with our goals conceded tally - that was clearly Rhodes' fault.

You must be right though, because our awful defence and non-existent midfield (both of which have been in dire need of strengthening for the last few years) had nothing to do with our goals conceded tally - that was clearly Rhodes' fault.

Don't be silly - I said it was one of the reasons we concede alot of goals. The fact the ball comes straight back whenever we clear our lines because Rhodes can't play with his back to goal isn't difficult to understand.

As for Lowe, your hatred shines through with every post.

Since when have holloway and Strachan been rovers fans Stuart?

You always remind me of that line in The Smiths song "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I'm miserable now" (showing my age I know).

Supporting Rovers seems to bring you a lot more pain and angst than pleasure.

Still, each to their own and back to the transfer thread...

Yes it does at the mo because of the venkyscum

Since when have holloway and Strachan been rovers fans Stuart?

Holloway is a newspaper pundit isn't he? He's paid to be controversial. Something he's never shied away from. Possible grudge against Rovers. Normal he's seen as a bit of a whiptop - until he says something that fits someone's agenda.

Strachan is a slightly different kettle of fish. I like the bloke and he has been a good manager in the past. I'm not convinced he'll deliver anything for Scotland and I suspect there is more than just football reasons for him not being included. He's a great option but can't get a look in - maybe it's because he's not a "proper Scot" or not playing for a successful team. But not being picked for your country is more than simply ability, it's circumstances, it's the manager's fabourites - just ask Steve Bruce or Carlton Palmer. Maybe Howard Kendall. Or perhaps a better example, Chris Sutton - he was rubbish too I suppose.

Our problems seem to be laid at the door of the ONE person delivering on their abilities and not those who have been promoted above theirs - manager included.

It's bunk-um.

So far only one premiership side (hull) has bid for the most prolific striker outside the premiership - why ?

He'd have more of a chance of holding it up if it was played into feet and there was a teammate within 30 yards of him. Lumping it up in the air when he's got a big defender up his backside and no blue and white halves close-by doesn't help.

Before we blame Rhodes we must first question the tactics. If we actually gave him a chance and played it to his feet and he consistently failed to hold it up, THEN I think he should be held accountable. The mindless hoof-it tactics from defence and midfield should get more attention than Rhodes's hold up play.

So far only one premiership side (hull) has bid for the most prolific striker outside the premiership - why ?

Lack of encouragement? The fact that our owners are notoriously difficult to do business with? Price tag? Maybe he's not a PL type player because of his lack of physical strength. Maybe someone at Sunderland could tell you why?

C'mon chaps. It's pretty sad that I'm having to defend one of the best strikers we've had here since Santa Cruz - and I'm apparently the only one who would be glad to keep him. Some of you deserve the level we are sinking to, you really do.

" :) "

Umm, because he's been priced out of a move? Is that not obvious? £12mill+ is a huge amount to pay for any side outside the Prem top six. If Rhodes was available for £6-8mill, like Rudy, he'd be gone in a flash.

Holloway is a newspaper pundit isn't he? He's paid to be controversial. Something he's never shied away from. Possible grudge against Rovers. Normal he's seen as a bit of a whiptop - until he says something that fits someone's agenda.

It's bunk-um.

you were advocating Holloway the newspaper pundit for manager a few weeks ago. Those pesky agenda's eh.

Umm, because he's been priced out of a move? Is that not obvious? £12mill+ is a huge amount to pay for any side outside the Prem top six. If Rhodes was available for £6-8mill, like Rudy, he'd be gone in a flash.

Umm, Hull bid £12m, so have Boro. Both bids rejected. Money is not an issue for many clubs in the Prem. If any wanted him they'd have bid, just like Boro and Hull.

th

I don't really see where people get this idea that our defence was awful last year - take a look at the final league table if you want the facts -the key difference between Rovers and the sides above them was actually goals scored FOR, not against. I do think we could be tighter in defence, but I don't think that was the real cause of our missing out on a playoff place.

Strachan is a slightly different kettle of fish. I like the bloke and he has been a good manager in the past. I'm not convinced he'll deliver anything for Scotland and I suspect there is more than just football reasons for him not being included. He's a great option but can't get a look in - maybe it's because he's not a "proper Scot" or not playing for a successful team. But not being picked for your country is more than simply ability, it's circumstances, it's the manager's fabourites - just ask Steve Bruce or Carlton Palmer. Maybe Howard Kendall. Or perhaps a better example, Chris Sutton - he was rubbish too I suppose.

Our problems seem to be laid at the door of the ONE person delivering on their abilities and not those who have been promoted above theirs - manager included.

It's bunk-um.

Stuart, - listen, Rhodes has weaknesses in his game that affect the teams performances. He's not the only striker in the world with weaknesses either. They regularly argue that if he didn't have any weaknesses he would be playing in the top league. The strange part of this is that although his biggest fans - or most of them anyway - accept that, they get all excitable when others point it out. So what's the problem? The problem seems to be that because he scores goals, the other parts of his game shouldn't be debated. YET - these very same people are MORE than happy to give a lot of other players quite nasty stick for any part of their game that might be lacking. If criticising players on here is wrong, if discussing how weaknesses in a player is wrong, then let's apply it everyone eh? However, it isn't wrong, is it. Goal scorers excite fans, sometimes enough to blind them to the complete picture.

th

I don't really see where people get this idea that our defence was awful last year - take a look at the final league table if you want the facts -the key difference between Rovers and the sides above them was actually goals scored FOR, not against. I do think we could be tighter in defence, but I don't think that was the real cause of our missing out on a playoff place.

I said the same at the end of last season. We had the 10th best defence, not awful...but we scored 30 goals less than some of the teams above us, and in most cases at least 15. The only team that scored a similar amount as us was Boro. They had the best defence in the league though and why they're so desperate to get Rhodes, the rest of their team is sorted. Theey had a far beeter CM than us though. Leadbitter is superb at this level, Adam Clayton is not far behind.

I think that's the route we need to go down. Clean sheets and Jordan up the other end sticking them away. We don't play the free scoring type of game that Brentford and B'mouth do.

GD comes before GS, Expert.

If we'd have conceded one less goal per game we'd have finished second or third. Do the maths!

Quiz question for you: which two players - for the same club - finish third and fourth in the highest Championship goal scorers chart last season?

A meaner defence, and more goals from midfield would have paid dividends. The glaring problem last season was not Rhodes but Bowyer's tactics. When forced to play attacking football - due to injury (mainly Lowe - whom I don't hate but who personifies Bowyer's approach) we did quite well but once Bowyer's more cautious players were available he reverted to type. THEN Lowe ^_^ and behold, we sell one of our attacking midfielders quick sharp, and release the other one who likes to roam forward. Maybe Bowyer is a genius and thinks that he can build a team that play 4-2-3-1, and Rhodes doesn't feature. I have my doubts.

Personally, I would opine that Bowyer is itching for Rhodes to be sold.

Mercerman lite indeed!

Stuart, - listen, Rhodes has weaknesses in his game that affect the teams performances. He's not the only striker in the world with weaknesses either. They regularly argue that if he didn't have any weaknesses he would be playing in the top league. The strange part of this is that although his biggest fans - or most of them anyway - accept that, they get all excitable when others point it out. So what's the problem? The problem seems to be that because he scores goals, the other parts of his game shouldn't be debated. YET - these very same people are MORE than happy to give a lot of other players quite nasty stick for any part of their game that might be lacking. If criticising players on here is wrong, if discussing how weaknesses in a player is wrong, then let's apply it everyone eh? However, it isn't wrong, is it. Goal scorers excite fans, sometimes enough to blind them to the complete picture.

I have only ever seen 1 Rovers centre forward who you could say had no weaknesses !

The like of Alan Shearer I will never see again !

Simply the Best !

Rhodes scores goals and a lot of them ...Be thankful he plays for us cos if he moves , we will be moving too down one division...

I have only ever seen 1 Rovers centre forward who you could say had no weaknesses !

The like of Alan Shearer I will never see again !

Simply the Best !

Rhodes scores goals and a lot them ...Be thankful he plays for us cos if he moves , we will be moving too down one division...

And........... .?

Archived