BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

One thing I will say to chaddy, you keep mentioning how the team will be built around Marshall as no.10. What evidence is there to suggest GB will do this? Just off the back of a couple of pre-season games? Whilst I agree it might benefit the team and I'd like to see it, let's just wait and see what the starting XI is vs Wolves and more importantly whether we stick with such a system or change it early on. We could see 4-4-2, we could see 4-5-1 or anything. We don't know what system Bowyer will adopt or whether the football will be an improvement on last season.

every pre season game Bowyer has played 4-2-3-1 formation apart from 45 mins at Accy Stanley were he played 4-4-2 formation with Brown and Forrester up front.

Marshall has played in the 10 role in pre season. he played the role last Saturday against Wigan.

I see 4-4-2 formation has plan B for me.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuart, - listen, Rhodes has weaknesses in his game that affect the teams performances. He's not the only striker in the world with weaknesses either. They regularly argue that if he didn't have any weaknesses he would be playing in the top league. The strange part of this is that although his biggest fans - or most of them anyway - accept that, they get all excitable when others point it out. So what's the problem? The problem seems to be that because he scores goals, the other parts of his game shouldn't be debated. YET - these very same people are MORE than happy to give a lot of other players quite nasty stick for any part of their game that might be lacking. If criticising players on here is wrong, if discussing how weaknesses in a player is wrong, then let's apply it everyone eh? However, it isn't wrong, is it. Goal scorers excite fans, sometimes enough to blind them to the complete picture.

The issue I have is priorities. When the rest of the team and management are functioning we can all poke holes in Rhodes' game. Until then it is crass and churlish, with different arguments brought to the fore. Yet point out that Lowe should be a squad player and not the first name on the team sheet and you are called a hater.

Jim called me silly earlier. "Silly" is exactly what the Rhodes Out - Lowe In agenda is.

Umm, Hull bid £12m, so have Boro. Both bids rejected. Money is not an issue for many clubs in the Prem. If any wanted him they'd have bid, just like Boro and Hull.

£12-14mill is a huge amount to pay for a player unproven at top level. Not many are prepared to do that and Rhodes certainly represents a risk at that price. As I said before, if he was available for £6-8mill he'd be at a Prem club.

Transfers, embargo.... only signed 9 players (?)

Ducked the question about what you are aiming for.

Time he started to actually be positive. It doesn't matter what other clubs have spent, theres a lot of clubs got promoted from worse positions than we are in.

every pre season game Bowyer has played 4-2-3-1 formation apart from 45 mins at Accy Stanley were he played 4-4-2 formation with Brown and Forrester up front.

Marshall has played in the 10 role in pre season. he played the role last Saturday against Wigan.

I see 4-4-2 formation has plan B for me.

To be honest, i'll be happy if there is a plan A and we stick to it, rather than changing system every game.

Delfy is better than varney; King didn't really contribute much here apart from the odd game here and there so there's no reason to think Koita may be an improvement; Gestede is going to be impossible to replace but a good premier loan striker is needed.

I agree it's vital to keep Rhodes (which I think we will).

I think we've adequately replaced King and Cairney but not Gestede.

Bottom line is that we enter the season 20 goals short of last season .That in my mind equals huge struggle .Delfy is a depressing consequence of what we have been turned into by these nob jockeys

Transfers, embargo.... only signed 9 players (?)

Ducked the question about what you are aiming for.

Time he started to actually be positive. It doesn't matter what other clubs have spent, theres a lot of clubs got promoted from worse positions than we are in.

He's just getting all his ducks in a row for when the real stuff starts. He needn't bother because no local journo will ask him any direct questions and press him on them.

The man's obsessed with money and the more I hear from him, the more he appears to be in the job

for the wrong reasons.

He hardly spoke about anything else, sales =commission £££££££££££££££££££

I know I'll get the usual grief about singing the man's praises. But what the hell. I've had it before.

He talks sense. Whether or not people believe he has the tactical acumen to succeed is another matter. But what he says is absolutely true. The only part of that interview I didn't like was the 'i' have spent 2.8m on 7 players. I'd have preferred a 'we'. Other than that it is all sound common sense. We couldn't continue to trade as a business as we were. And what's more important is, had we employed someone who hadn't been able to spot players like Gestede and Cairney then we'd be in an even bigger mess.

Also, I do appreciate people think he's dull. But I strongly disagree. He's droll and I'd bet my house that he's really good company if you know him. I think he's very intelligent and has a dry sense of humour which can only be appreciated in the flesh. A raised eyebrow at right moment sort of thing. Something which doesn't translate into radio.

I know I'm in the minority but I like him. I don't necessarily think we're promotion material under his management and I know that's the be all and end all. But much like the comments about Hanley going to the dingles and them turning him into a player. I can't help but feel there's a decent manager in Bowyer and when he leaves it might just surface.

I can't help but feel there's a decent manager in Bowyer and when he leaves it might just surface.

PV - GB is already a decent manager it's just that reality probably dictated that we needed a "very good" manager after Kean to fix the calamity.

I concur with you that he will be a professional on the game for a long time after this job- whether that's a level higher or lower will depend on if he can develop further.

I liked the interview also, I have faith in GB because he's earned it. That doesn't mean I think the sun shines out of his arse, I think he is decent.

When you take the circumstances into account it makes the job he's done look even better (to me at least!)

He'd have more of a chance of holding it up if it was played into feet and there was a teammate within 30 yards of him. Lumping it up in the air when he's got a big defender up his backside and no blue and white halves close-by doesn't help.

Before we blame Rhodes we must first question the tactics. If we actually gave him a chance and played it to his feet and he consistently failed to hold it up, THEN I think he should be held accountable. The mindless hoof-it tactics from defence and midfield should get more attention than Rhodes's hold up play.

Gestede was close to Rhodes most of last season - but I don't see how that affects Rhodes's lack of technique with his back to goal. I don't recognise the "mindless hoof-it" tactics - most of the time the ball was played to Rhodes and most of the time he failed to control the ball and hold it up. I'm not criticising Rhodes for the sake of it, and I don't want him to leave because goalscorers like him are priceless, but it still has to be recognised that there are considerable weaknesses in his game that his supporters ignore or shift the blame on to others.

Rhodes may be Gordon's public enemy but don't believe the hype.

Use your eyes and watch what Rhodes does when he doesn't have the ball (as well as his prolific record).

FFS though, only Rovers fans could see the country's 5-year top scorer as the weak link - and champion the likes of Jason Lowe and Gary Bowyer who've done nowt and will do nowt.

It's pretty pathetic really but please carry on. :rolleyes:

To be fair Stuart you have been very consistent on this issue. I've voiced the other argument at times.

What's your thoughts when someone like Strachan or Holloway makes similar comments? Presumably without prejudice?

Fo schizzle jbizzle.

I'm sorry, theyre appalling words for a man of my age. I just hope my kids never read this.

Anyway, my point was going to be that I'm pretty sure his stock is high and should we can him I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get a job at a club with better promotion prospects than us. We're not talking premier league, but another championship chairman would snap him up. He's got a well earned reputation as a money making machine.

I didn't like was the 'i' have spent 2.8m on 7 players. I'd have preferred a 'we'. Other than that it is all sound common sense. We couldn't continue to trade as a business as we were. And what's more important is, had we employed someone who hadn't been able to spot players like Gestede and Cairney then we'd be in an even bigger mess.

Also not true:

Delfouneso

Guthrie

Koita

Petchi

Brown

Spearing

Taylor P

Steele

Henry

Baptiste

Steele

Tunnicliffe

Varney

Duffy

Judge

Taylor S

Eastwood

Green

Campbell

Kilgallon

Marrow

Spurr

Songo'o

Evans

Tumwa

Gestede

Cairney

Conway

Marshall

Kane

He's had a fair old go, and been backed. Berg seems to be a bit of a hate figure but I wonder which 30 players he'd have picked?

To be fair Stuart you have been very consistent on this issue. I've voiced the other argument at times.

What's your thoughts when someone like Strachan or Holloway makes similar comments? Presumably without prejudice?

Keep reading. I've had a go at answering your question already.

Archived