BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

Hope so.

We all know that in Gordon's world anyone with two legs and a pulse represents an improvement on Rhodes but that combo would struggle to reach double figures between them!

Pisses me off big time that although he is slower than Brian on the Magic Roundabout (and I accept there is nothing he can do about that btw) if only he could be arsed doing what I see as an easy but obligatory part of a strikers game he'd be a Premier League star and the first name on Strachan's team sheet. As far as I can see he simply can't be arsed and obviously thinks grafting for the team is somebody else's job. Think Rush, Keegan, Dalglish, Shearer, Bellamy, Henry, Keane R, Newell, Jansen in fact think anyone you like who achieved far more than him and they all saw grafting for the team as an essential part of their job..... and especially so when you are having a poor game and your teammates are under pressure! :glare: Surely we can all see how often he 'hides' in a match? Those who can't simply don't understand the game.

So thats what pisses me off about Jordan Rhodes...... the waste of his obvious talent! As the link to Holloway reports "Gary Bowyer has really stabilised Blackburn and I actually think they'll be better without Jordan Rhodes, should he finally go. He's a goalscorer but it's difficult to play someone alongside him so they could well end up having a stronger unit." Damned sure more in football who share Holloways opinion than there who disagree.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also not true:

Delfouneso

Guthrie

Koita

Petchi

Brown

Spearing

Taylor P

Steele

Henry

Baptiste

Steele

Tunnicliffe

Varney

Duffy

Judge

Taylor S

Eastwood

Green

Campbell

Kilgallon

Marrow

Spurr

Songo'o

Evans

Tumwa

Gestede

Cairney

Conway

Marshall

Kane

He's had a fair old go, and been backed. Berg seems to be a bit of a hate figure but I wonder which 30 players he'd have picked?

Keep reading. I've had a go at answering your question already.

Just spotted that. Apologies.

Also not true:

Delfouneso

Guthrie

Koita

Petchi

Brown

Spearing

Taylor P

Steele

Henry

Baptiste

Steele

Tunnicliffe

Varney

Duffy

Judge

Taylor S

Eastwood

Green

Campbell

Kilgallon

Marrow

Spurr

Songo'o

Evans

Tumwa

Gestede

Cairney

Conway

Marshall

Kane

He's had a fair old go, and been backed. Berg seems to be a bit of a hate figure but I wonder which 30 players he'd have picked?

But is that not the point. He's brought in those players but what's his outlay on transfer fees?

Some of those mentioned are youth players. Some loanees. But it seems the only incoming loanees count. Because we loaned a good few out too. To be honest I can't be bothered to work out how many.

As I said, to me he talks sense. He may have brought in the numbers. But at least they weren't crippling the club. Unlike others we dare not mention.

As for Berg. I sang hus praises when debating with Toppers only a couple of weeks ago. I think he got a rough deal and on paper has the credentials to have bettered what Bowyer has done. But it's all conjecture now.

You know what's going to happen, Rev...

I don't think he'll leave this window.

I would've thought he'll go in January.

How motivated he'll be to play for Rovers, I don't know, but it'll be in his best interests to score a hatful if he wants to get out of here.

One question, though - he's signed a series of long-term contracts here, why would he do that given the way the club is run? Could he not see what was coming around the corner?

If it was me and I was genuinely gagging to go, I'd be well hacked off, because Venky's just don't bend to the will of employees. He dropped a serious ricket in going public.

• Moderation Lead

People are over complicating the Rhodes debate, for me it's simple. We don't play to his strengths, and our midfield plays miles away from where he's dangerous, it's a miracle he's scored as many as he has.

Get someone in the hole and wingers closer to him and we get the best out of him. Gary if you're reading- you know this makes sense!

But is that not the point. He's brought in those players but what's his outlay on transfer fees?

Some of those mentioned are youth players. Some loanees. But it seems the only incoming loanees count. Because we loaned a good few out too. To be honest I can't be bothered to work out how many.

As I said, to me he talks sense. He may have brought in the numbers. But at least they weren't crippling the club. Unlike others we dare not mention.

As for Berg. I sang hus praises when debating with Toppers only a couple of weeks ago. I think he got a rough deal and on paper has the credentials to have bettered what Bowyer has done. But it's all conjecture now.

Two youth lads - green and tumwa.

About 6-8 loanees.

But it's way more than 7. Plenty of undiscloseds there too.

Bowyer really can't complain about lack of incoming players. He is being asked to work miracles, granted, but he is coming up short. To try to say he's brought in seven players isn't true. The thing is that he is out of his depth and excuses just won't cut it I'm afraid. This is professional football, it's cut-throat. Managers live and die by results. Bowyer is a development coach in a first team manager's role and it shows.

Also not true:

Delfouneso

Guthrie

Koita

Petchi

Brown

Spearing

Taylor P

Steele

Henry

Baptiste

Steele

Tunnicliffe

Varney

Duffy

Judge

Taylor S

Eastwood

Green

Campbell

Kilgallon

Marrow

Spurr

Songo'o

Evans

Tumwa

Gestede

Cairney

Conway

Marshall

Kane

A list of the players replaced, a mixture of absolute dross and a few cash sales would show how the squad was in dire need of changing.

Just looking at the strikers when GB took over- Rhodes, Best, Goodwillie, Slew etc - only one decent one. Then the wingers, attacking mids- Rochina, Formica, King, Kazim Richards, Pedersen, - we needed to replace nearly all of them - king the exception but correct me if I'm wrong, he missed a huge amount of the season after!

Berg managed 1 win in 10- not a hatred figure at all, in fact I still love Berg for his two playing spells. As a manager though, the squad he inherited was so unbalanced, and many downed tools for him quite quickly after the Peteborough win- and it took GB to step in at short notice and get some results (with the same players!)

The funny thing for me is that this was one of the better decisions the current owners made because I'm 99% certain that Berg (partially made worse by not bringing his own and inheriting the coaching setup) will have took us the same way as Wolves that season. That doesn't forgive the ridiculous process that landed him the job either!

Appleton tried to make us ugly, succeeded but we still looked fragile at times. The attacking side of his tactics lacked a lot of things, but the tempo was that of a over 75s team. Unbelievably bad but it has to be accepted that the big earning Kean squad was just terribly balanced. Danny Murpht at home to Peterborough still makes me wince.

The interview talks common sense about how only 3 can go up and common sense should be used, but teams are still gambling. We all wax lyrical about Sean Dyche for good reason, do you see him throwing millions around and signing old players on huge contracts?

After relegation, our club made a gamble, and the man with the cards had money on himself losing!

Stuart, Bowyer was talking about his cash buys not totally number of players signed.

Some of his cash buys have been good/Excellent. Steele/Evans/Duffy have been goodish/decent or poorish.

I think his cash buys were Marshall(1m), Cairney(500k), Evans(750k), Gestede(200k), Conway(100k), Steele(100k), Duffy(400k rising to 1.2m with add ons).

Also who is S Taylor Stuart? Is that meant to be Chris Taylor?

I think his point was more about the fact he's paid fees for seven. If I'd spent three weeks of the month feeding my family on food I'd stolen, begged for or picked up from the back of KFC and they moaned I'd spent twenty quid in the last week, I'd feel the need to point it out too.

When other clubs are paying double that for one player I'm sure he's thinking he could have worked miracles with it.

Anyway, that's a crap analogy. Sorry about that. If it makes it any better I typed a God awful one out in reply to den the other day, only for my Internet connection to fail. Count yourself lucky Stu!!!

The man's obsessed with money and the more I hear from him, the more he appears to be in the job

for the wrong reasons.

He hardly spoke about anything else, sales =commission £££££££££££££££££££

He's certainly coming across as someone who is employed in a sales environment and not a football environment

Perhaps sales may well be his true role in his working life because being a football manager certainly isn't... Yet some on here say he's a novice.. Ah well if I was a novice at my job after as long as gazza it would be time to move on

Even freebies cost money, £10k a week is over 1/2 million a year, and we're struggling to find players at that wage, plus signing on fees, loan fees etc....it's naive to think otherwise.

Then you've obviously no idea how the world works. Maybe stick to athletics.

If you don't make your employer money you're usually not much use.

Yes but what we need is a football manager, who's obsession should be what happens on the pitch.

Perhaps it's time to give him match days off, let someone else pick the team and stand on the touchline.

Not many football owners in it to make money, even fewer making any, the vast majority want success.

I know I'll get the usual grief about singing the man's praises. But what the hell. I've had it before.

He talks sense. Whether or not people believe he has the tactical acumen to succeed is another matter. But what he says is absolutely true. The only part of that interview I didn't like was the 'i' have spent 2.8m on 7 players. I'd have preferred a 'we'. Other than that it is all sound common sense. We couldn't continue to trade as a business as we were. And what's more important is, had we employed someone who hadn't been able to spot players like Gestede and Cairney then we'd be in an even bigger mess.

Also, I do appreciate people think he's dull. But I strongly disagree. He's droll and I'd bet my house that he's really good company if you know him. I think he's very intelligent and has a dry sense of humour which can only be appreciated in the flesh. A raised eyebrow at right moment sort of thing. Something which doesn't translate into radio.

I know I'm in the minority but I like him. I don't necessarily think we're promotion material under his management and I know that's the be all and end all. But much like the comments about Hanley going to the dingles and them turning him into a player. I can't help but feel there's a decent manager in Bowyer and when he leaves it might just surface.

I appreciate your opinion and your reasoning. Although I disagree, I can understand where you're coming from in some areas. Personally, I think he over-egged it on the talk about developing player values. Whilst we all appreciate an insight into that side of things, it's rather tedious how he harps on. I'd rather he talk about the development of the players as footballers, how he is looking to improve them, not as statistics.

As soon as the interviewer get onto tactics and aims for the season, he immediately reverts back to talk of the money he's brought in from transfers. I disagree that he seems particularly intelligent. Whilst he doesn't seem dim, he doesn't strike me as a thinker nor a tactician. He does seem to recycle a lot of what he says and dawdles on the same points over and over, so I will say I find him rather dull and frustrating from his interviews.

• Backroom

Not much changes, the eve of the eve of a new season and the majority of the discussions are around Bowyer and Rhodes and people not appreciating them or vice versa!

I wonder if Delfh signing signals the end of Maynards trial

Exactly why he should of been pushing for promotion last season then... So as you say... Not much use.

So he wasn't pushing for promotion now? We all know he didnt manage it, but to suggest it never occurred to him is crazy.

He's fortunate that his signings have yielded so much profit and that's probably kept him in a job. But the owners either still believe he can achieve it or are happy to put their faith in him to keep pulling rabbits out of the hat.

Look, I'm not saying the guy is a genius and he's the man to lead us back to the promised land. Just that he grasped the situation we were in and has done a large part to rectify it. Some seem happy to spout bile in his direction. Me, I'm happy to thank him for what he has done. If nothing else, if he left tomorrow, he's given us a fighting chance.

Other than that I will openly admit I like the bloke. Seems like a decent sort. That's it.

I appreciate your opinion and your reasoning. Although I disagree, I can understand where you're coming from in some areas. Personally, I think he over-egged it on the talk about developing player values. Whilst we all appreciate an insight into that side of things, it's rather tedious how he harps on. I'd rather he talk about the development of the players as footballers, how he is looking to improve them, not as statistics.

As soon as the interviewer get onto tactics and aims for the season, he immediately reverts back to talk of the money he's brought in from transfers. I disagree that he seems particularly intelligent. Whilst he doesn't seem dim, he doesn't strike me as a thinker nor a tactician. He does seem to recycle a lot of what he says and dawdles on the same points over and over, so I will say I find him rather dull and frustrating from his interviews.

Appreciate your reply mustard. Not that anyone else has offended me, but I think this type of reply is what the message board has missed in recent times.

So he wasn't pushing for promotion now? We all know he didnt manage it, but to suggest it never occurred to him is crazy.

He's fortunate that his signings have yielded so much profit and that's probably kept him in a job. But the owners either still believe he can achieve it or are happy to put their faith in him to keep pulling rabbits out of the hat.

Look, I'm not saying the guy is a genius and he's the man to lead us back to the promised land. Just that he grasped the situation we were in and has done a large part to rectify it. Some seem happy to spout bile in his direction. Me, I'm happy to thank him for what he has done. If nothing else, if he left tomorrow, he's given us a fighting chance.

Other than that I will openly admit I like the bloke. Seems like a decent sort. That's it.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion PV, it always surprises me though how much 2 sets of people can look at the exact same situation and have almost completely different opinions. I know I'm on the critical side, but I only want the same thing as every other fan, the very best for our club. Think I'm going to have a break from posting on the football side for a couple of weeks, and see where we get in the first few games.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion PV, it always surprises me though how much 2 sets of people can look at the exact same situation and have almost completely different opinions. I know I'm on the critical side, but I only want the same thing as every other fan, the very best for our club. Think I'm going to have a break from posting on the football side for a couple of weeks, and see where we get in the first few games.

As above baz. Appreciated.

By the way, by nature I'm extremely critical and probably the most miserable human being known to man. It's funny how we read thing differently eh.

Gestede was close to Rhodes most of last season - but I don't see how that affects Rhodes's lack of technique with his back to goal. I don't recognise the "mindless hoof-it" tactics - most of the time the ball was played to Rhodes and most of the time he failed to control the ball and hold it up. I'm not criticising Rhodes for the sake of it, and I don't want him to leave because goalscorers like him are priceless, but it still has to be recognised that there are considerable weaknesses in his game that his supporters ignore or shift the blame on to others.

He would make his employers a hell of a lot more money if he got the club promoted,

Archived