BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, been announced. We can't seem to compete for any prem youngsters.

Were we definitely in for Robinson? I know he was mentioned as a potential makeweight in the Gestede deal but that went quiet. The Gestede deal going through without Robinson's inclusion hints that he might not have been on our radar.

How many strikers do we need? We signed one just yesterday. You are treating the transfer market like a sweet shop yet you appear to still be unaware of the conditions imposed by our embargo.

Just arrived... can earn 10k wages tops, all on free transfers

Delfouneso, Guthrie, Koita and Petchi

Paid transfers

Steele, Marshall, Duffy, Cairney, Gestede, Conway and Evans

All sub 1m bar Duffy who goes over with addons, two already sold for major profits and a third subject to a decent sized bid.

Loans

Henry, Baptiste, Tunnicliffe, Spearing, Taylor P, you missed Dabo, Keane (not on list) and Kane... you also missed a few from his interim period as manager.

Freebies

Varney (Loan then free), Judge, Brown, Marrow, Spurr, Kilgallon, Songo'o, Taylor C, Campbell and Eastwood

Youth

Tumwa, Green.. and well a fair few other your players.. just the normal turn around there.

Outgoings

And one of the most important factors the players he has had to shift and deal with while manager and don't tell me they where not mostly earning far more than his signings...

Best, Orr, Slew, Etuhu, Goodwillie, Olsson, Dann, Formica, Pederson, Murphy, Kean, Nunes, King, Rochina, Givet, Robinson, Dunn, Rosado, Gomes, Henrique, Junior, Ribeiro, Myles Anderson, .... and there are plenty more

How many of those who left had "reputations" for being a bit of trouble or where just plain evil.

If you don't have the money to splash and buy what you need then you have to gamble and take risks on freebies and loans.. there is a reason they where free or out on loan in the first place.

We have reduced our first team squad by eleven players since he took over.. and as for being backed.. well he is working on a negative budget (more cash in than out) and just to round it off he is the first manager we have had who has been tasked with basically getting rid of more than a full squad of players... and well we don't need to look very far to see whats happened to some of our rivals who have had to downsize.

If you want to rant at Bowyer.. then stick to his problem areas.. tactically I just don't think he gets it right very often, he is way to cautious and does not setup to play to players strengths, I also don't think he is much cop when it comes to researching opponents prior to a match.

More excuses. This is the world we are in. If he's not up to it, he needs to get off the pot. It doesn't matter if the signings are paid, loanees, freebies or whatever. They have wages to be paid and they have to contribute. Cherry picking only a subset of signings to show what a shrewd mover he is in the transfer market is just another take on lies, damned lies and statistics. Trying to justify the last four signings as freebies for example is desperation - this has been necessary because of the embargo we are under having gambled by continuing to provide Bowyer with resources we don't have for the last two years. He has only being restricted now it's too late.

Take a look at what Mick McCarthy has spent at Ipswich. I bet he'd love to have been given the kind of funds Bowyer has had to spend, whether it's less than income or not, it's still cash. Then take a look at our respective squads during the last couple of years. A guy with his experience, backed by being able to spend cash like Bowyer has.

Have to laugh though. When it suits people, Bowyer is a genius in the transfer market. When it doesn't, he 'has his hands tied' or 'doesn't have a say in transfers'. He has been well backed and until very recently hasn't had to sell any player he didn't want to. This is why we are under an embargo.

I that case, the shutters need to come down, nobody else leaves. Create a siege mentality. We should have done this when Gestede and Cairney were still here.

Put in an appeal against the unfair and inconsistent application of FFP and see out this next season until the allowed losses increase.

It's time we came out fighting on and off the pitch instead of just meekly going about or business grumbling about poor old us.

How many strikers do we need? We signed one just yesterday. You are treating the transfer market like a sweet shop yet you appear to still be unaware of the conditions imposed by our embargo.

I believe he is more of a pacey winger, but stand to be corrected. I also don't believe that every Prem club would demand a fee for a youngster to go out on loan.

Your sweet shop comment is quite ironic given Gaz' team selections and transfer policy since he he took over the hot seat.

Transferwise Gestede and Cairney have been very good business.

However I believe that the scout who were instrumental in finding them are not at the club anymore.

That's a shame. Do you know if he was pushed or poached by another club?

But some PL clubs want loan fees to be pay for their players to go there. I understand not every PL team will tho. But some will want to make sure they are going to start most games.

But did we even make a loan bid for Callum Robinson? I dont know.

You are correct to say he is more of Pacey Winger than a striker I believe.

I think Rovers are trying

Transferwise Gestede and Cairney have been very good business.

However I believe that the scout who were instrumental in finding them are not at the club anymore.

Wasnt it Ian Bowyer who scouting them?

I believe he is more of a pacey winger, but stand to be corrected. I also don't believe that every Prem club would demand a fee for a youngster to go out on loan.

Your sweet shop comment is quite ironic given Gaz' team selections and transfer policy since he he took over the hot seat.

Isn't that what Koita is?

Na. He's a false number seven Gord.

Petchi is the one for me. He's more of a hidden number four. Which should compliment Marshall when he plays in that disguised number ten position. Assuming Delfouneso manages to adapt to the secret number eleven role that is.

Petchi is the one for me. He's more of a hidden number four. Which should compliment Marshall when he plays in that disguised number ten position. Assuming Delfouneso manages to adapt to the secret number eleven role that is.

False number 7, Hidden number 4... almost as the Aussie batsmen, Mediocre 60 lol

Koita played behind the striker in France, and use to drift down the wings. so basically played across the front line. Tbf, Rhodes is probably our only out and out striker. Not sure what Chris Brown is, but Delfy will also have multiple positions to fill. We certainly need another pure striker in, who can actually score a few goals. If Rhodes is still here, and gets injured or suspended, then we going to struggle with goals.

False number 7, Hidden number 4... almost as the Aussie batsmen, Mediocre 60 lol

Koita played behind the striker in France, and use to drift down the wings. so basically played across the front line.

He can play as striker or as a winger.

Koita said he hopes to establish himself as primarily a striker in England, not a winger

Exactly what Josh King was/is then. Didn't stop him being unfortunately forced out wide or on the bench most of the time though did it fellas? I wonder if karanka fails in his bid whether history is about to repeat itself?

According to Alan Nixon, Rovers are after a right winger now.

We've got Marshy Conway Koita Fonzy Sully Olsson and probably more who can all play on the wing. And a few of those can play on both flanks. What we are in need of is a good Centre half

Just arrived... can earn 10k wages tops, all on free transfers

Delfouneso, Guthrie, Koita and Petchi

Paid transfers
Steele, Marshall, Duffy, Cairney, Gestede, Conway and Evans
All sub 1m bar Duffy who goes over with addons, two already sold for major profits and a third subject to a decent sized bid.
Loans
Henry, Baptiste, Tunnicliffe, Spearing, Taylor P, you missed Dabo, Keane (not on list) and Kane... you also missed a few from his interim period as manager.
Freebies
Varney (Loan then free), Judge, Brown, Marrow, Spurr, Kilgallon, Songo'o, Taylor C, Campbell and Eastwood
Youth
Tumwa, Green.. and well a fair few other your players.. just the normal turn around there.
Outgoings
And one of the most important factors the players he has had to shift and deal with while manager and don't tell me they where not mostly earning far more than his signings...
Best, Orr, Slew, Etuhu, Goodwillie, Olsson, Dann, Formica, Pederson, Murphy, Kean, Nunes, King, Rochina, Givet, Robinson, Dunn, Rosado, Gomes, Henrique, Junior, Ribeiro, Myles Anderson, .... and there are plenty more
How many of those who left had "reputations" for being a bit of trouble or where just plain evil.
If you don't have the money to splash and buy what you need then you have to gamble and take risks on freebies and loans.. there is a reason they where free or out on loan in the first place.
We have reduced our first team squad by eleven players since he took over.. and as for being backed.. well he is working on a negative budget (more cash in than out) and just to round it off he is the first manager we have had who has been tasked with basically getting rid of more than a full squad of players... and well we don't need to look very far to see whats happened to some of our rivals who have had to downsize.
If you want to rant at Bowyer.. then stick to his problem areas.. tactically I just don't think he gets it right very often, he is way to cautious and does not setup to play to players strengths, I also don't think he is much cop when it comes to researching opponents prior to a match.

Didn't Marshall cost 1 mill and Evans not far off ?

Anyway the man should be director of football working with his present team to carry on finding the Rudys and Cairneys. Get someone with a bit more idea on the touchline and we could have a real good set up here at this level.

Anyway the man should be director of football working with his present team to carry on finding the Rudys and Cairneys. Get someone with a bit more idea on the touchline and we could have a real good set up here at this level.

I agree to a point. Assuming he hasn't had a couple of lucky breaks and its him rather than a scout, then he could be good as a head of recruitment. I suspect he enjoys the coaching side of his job more, however.

Also depends who works for whom though. Bowyer (as a DOF) would have to work for the manager, not the other way around. We need greater than Bowyer, not lesser.

More excuses. This is the world we are in. If he's not up to it, he needs to get off the pot. It doesn't matter if the signings are paid, loanees, freebies or whatever. They have wages to be paid and they have to contribute. Cherry picking only a subset of signings to show what a shrewd mover he is in the transfer market is just another take on lies, damned lies and statistics. Trying to justify the last four signings as freebies for example is desperation - this has been necessary because of the embargo we are under having gambled by continuing to provide Bowyer with resources we don't have for the last two years. He has only being restricted now it's too late.

Take a look at what Mick McCarthy has spent at Ipswich. I bet he'd love to have been given the kind of funds Bowyer has had to spend, whether it's less than income or not, it's still cash. Then take a look at our respective squads during the last couple of years. A guy with his experience, backed by being able to spend cash like Bowyer has.

Have to laugh though. When it suits people, Bowyer is a genius in the transfer market. When it doesn't, he 'has his hands tied' or 'doesn't have a say in transfers'. He has been well backed and until very recently hasn't had to sell any player he didn't want to. This is why we are under an embargo.

I don't buy the McCarthy love in. Especially the notion that he would prosper with more cash at hand. Mark Hughes proved at Man City and QPR that it's a different job coping with money than working with a small budget. McCarthy has done well at Ipswich and I think that is his niche.

Personally I think Bowyer seems a decent bloke and an adequate manager. Could we do better? yes. Could we do worse? absolutly. With our owners and directors I think the latter is far more likely. A part of me welcome the FFP so the club can be forced to operate on a more sustainable business model. Promotion is not likely and it's better to get the club in better shape financially for the championship and if someone is to take over the club after Venky's.

If the average salary in the championship is under 10k, I think you would find a few clubs (mosty those relegated from Premier League with parachute money) are responsible, while for probably 60% of the clubs 10k will the maximum. My Brum supporting mate told me that 5k was the max there last season.

Archived