BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do we have to have this circular argument again and again? No one hates Rhodes, some think he should do more and others think he doesn't do enough. I think both positions have their merit and I really don't think that people are that far apart in their opinions (except for one or two maybe) of him.

doesnt do enough and should do more ,

both points the same to me.

what about he does what a striker should do.

Most definitely Simon........ and you know who I am referring to.

Lacks the physical attributes of a Gestede Gord, and occasionally fails to make an impact as a result, but never stops running from first whistle to last whatever myths may be peddled around about him. He's also quite competent at laying the ball off if you play it into his feet.

Sorry, I sometimes do that: generalise when responding to a post.

There is a problem though in trying to compare any strike partners at championship clubs with PL ones, certainly if we had Yorke and Cole we wouldn't be having this discussion. Although Cole got pelters at United at times (probably skin to moaning about Rhodes). Not sure "Anyone and Roberts" is a great example though, his goal record with us was shocking.

I still think that Rhodes' overall game has improved though and he still gets stick from people who still use his initial game as a stick to beat him with. The fact that one or two PL teams are taking an interest suggests that he is improving. At his age his next move will be massive for him.

I seem to be quite staunch with my views on Rhodes, Lowe and Bowyer but I have genuine strong feelings about the impact that each of these guys have had - based on what would be expected of them. I expect my goalscorers to score goals (check); I expect my centre midfield to tackle well, pass well and basically dominate the opposition (nope); and I expect my managers to pick a team to win a game, not just to get a point (unless we are playing someone much much stronger than us). The trouble is, the longer we carry on as we are, the more teams are becoming much much stronger than us.

In other news, I saw on Facebook (on that stupid TheRovers page that someone signed me up to without my consent) that there is talk of booing Rhodes tomorrow. Really? If anything we should be letting him know that he IS appreciated by many fans rather than making him want to leave more.

Be better employed booing Shaw !

I like GB, I think he's done a decent job overall, some stuff he's done well, some not so well. I think criticism is at times too harsh, and then people go OTT defending him. I don't think he is a dull as some make out, I'm sure he's quite funny sometimes.

BUT if I were Myers I'd be sitting him down and having a serious word about all the 'magnificent' and so on, but again a lot of manages do it, maybe I just listen more to GB and find it more annoying. That interview though really annoyed me, always talking about money and player value, who does he think he is talking to? Sometimes I think he's not talking to the fans, not even the owners but trying to big himself up to the footballing public in general and increase his stock for the next job. He is certainly not talking to Rovers fans and if he thinks he is... Very, very annoying

RE: the winger thing... My guess is that he is desperate to get some explosive King like pace in the side after seeing what it did for us in the cup games, and the wing is often where it is found and where he can fit it in. I get that and it makes sense in a lot of ways. I still think he though that getting another one in will block O'Sullivan's route into the team. What has this guy got to do? He's gone away and performed at a high level (according to fans of the respective clubs) at conference then League two then league one. IF he doesn't do it in training then why sign him on for another year?

Koita and Delf are quickish but not very quick so if I had been after lightning pace I wouldn't have signed the latter.

I like GB, I think he's done a decent job overall, some stuff he's done well, some not so well. I think criticism is at times too harsh, and then people go OTT defending him. I don't think he is a dull as some make out, I'm sure he's quite funny sometimes.

BUT if I were Myers I'd be sitting him down and having a serious word about all the 'magnificent' and so on, but again a lot of manages do it, maybe I just listen more to GB and find it more annoying. That interview though really annoyed me, always talking about money and player value, who does he think he is talking to? Sometimes I think he's not talking to the fans, not even the owners but trying to big himself up to the footballing public in general and increase his stock for the next job. He is certainly not talking to Rovers fans and if he thinks he is... Very, very annoying

RE: the winger thing... My guess is that he is desperate to get some explosive King like pace in the side after seeing what it did for us in the cup games, and the wing is often where it is found and where he can fit it in. I get that and it makes sense in a lot of ways. I still think he though that getting another one in will block O'Sullivan's route into the team. What has this guy got to do? He's gone away and performed at a high level (according to fans of the respective clubs) at conference then League two then league one. IF he doesn't do it in training then why sign him on for another year?

Koita and Delf are quickish but not very quick so if I had been after lightning pace I wouldn't have signed the latter.

GB is a joke manager delfonso is a joke signing

Have to say, if I were Lenihan in particular (and perhaps O'Sullivan if the rumour about looking for another winger is true), I think I'd be feeling lied to around about now. That's assuming that the claim is true that they only signed new deals because they were assured they would get first team chances this season. If Lenihan is in any way seen as anything other than an absolute last resort backup that won't get game time unless we are desparate, why have we signed Guthrie and Petschi, making it so that there are now a metric @#/?ton of other, older, more experienced players in his favoured position?

I haven't posted on here in years but have been a frequent viewer, If and its a big If Guthrie gets some form back

He may add more in attack than what Cairney added, this will force us to play differently and the play through midfield may be of

A higher tempo. Cairney was very good in possession but he always gave the opposition a chance to re gather. The likes of Koita and Petshi could go either way to be honest. The Fonz is a back up player he's the new Varney.

It's a real shame Lenihan hasn't been fit preseason, really hoped he'd come through for us.

One thing about Delfouneso, whilst I wasn't too eager for him to be signed, his interview on rovers player has made me warm to him big time. Seems like a good bloke, really happy to be at Ewood, determined to work hard and take his chance when he gets it. I know this is standard stuff but what he said and the way he said it made me believe him, he should give GB some tips. Watching him against Bury and Wigan, he did okay, but didn't look great either but he's here now and I really hope he does well.

• Backroom

I haven't posted on here in years but have been a frequent viewer, If and its a big If Guthrie gets some form back

He may add more in attack than what Cairney added, this will force us to play differently and the play through midfield may be of

A higher tempo. Cairney was very good in possession but he always gave the opposition a chance to re gather. The likes of Koita and Petshi could go either way to be honest. The Fonz is a back up player he's the new Varney.

I think the fact Guthrie was released from Reading before coming here tells you where his career is at right now.

His first goal should be to stay fit for a sustained period, then hopefully he'll show some of the promise of his earlier career. I don't think we should expect him to be any better than Cairney though. One moved for significant money whilst the other was picked up on a free transfer. Keep in mind he's also 28 years old - we're not talking about a young player here.

This may be his last shot at proving himself though, so hopefully that motivation will produce some good performances.

A Reading season ticketholder tells me that Guthrie is a very good player but is injury-prone and has an attitude problem as well as changing his hairstyle every few weeks. Seems appropriate as he is replacing another hair-obsessed midfielder.

I really do see this season going one of 2 ways, either the players see themselves getting written off and the small squad gel and fight together and surprise everybody, or they feel sorry for themselves and use the embargo as an excuse and fold at every opportunity.

I think tomorrow's game will be a good indicator of how our season will pan out!

I really do see this season going one of 2 ways, either the players see themselves getting written off and the small squad gel and fight together and surprise everybody, or they feel sorry for themselves and use the embargo as an excuse and fold at every opportunity.

I think tomorrow's game will be a good indicator of how our season will pan out!

Talk about sitting on the fence andy Townsend, so your saying we will either do good or do @#/??

Guthrie at least has had the quality in the past, if he can stay fit he's got a better than even chance of being the first name on our midfield teamsheet.

Do agree with the sentiments about the youth team though, luring Lenihan an OSullivan to sign new deals then not playing them isn't the way to bring through youth, they need game-time. I suppose on the flip-side if they are good enough theyll make it.

Anyway good luck tomorrow boys, hoping for a great start to the season.

Didn't he instigate the butchering most of the North in a Red Wedding?

Per GRRM, the Freys got the leadership (Robb, the Umbers, etc.) but most of the troops got away and are straggling back North. There will be hell to pay when they arrive, I'm betting.

Archived