BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evans can go. I'd imagine he's on a decent whack and didn't do anything to justify it last season.

Out of the rest i'd sat only Willo and Guthrie could be classed as proven at this level. Lowe, unless he's improved immeasurably over the summer, just isn't comfortable enough on the ball. Lenihan and Petshi are untried. If Akpan is better than Willo in the ball-winning role then i hope we get him. He's young and probably a lot more mobile than Willo.

Yeah Williamson does most things well, but then has his moments/days where he is just completely off the pace. Evans looks like that most of the time tbh.

Yeah Williamson does most things well, but then has his moments/days where he is just completely off the pace. Evans looks like that most of the time tbh.

Williamson does most things well???

He's got heart and will run all day for you but he's a poor footballer mustard, very poor.

• Backroom

that's how i'd describe Lowe. Williamson is a better footballer then Lowe.

100% agree, watching Lowe yesterday you can see he just doesn't have the brain for it, every time he got the ball he didn't seem to know what to do and took a good while making a decision, a couple of times it slowed things right down and caused Attacks to fizzle out.

His needless surrender of possession under no pressure led to the winner as well

Williamson does most things well???

He's got heart and will run all day for you but he's a poor footballer mustard, very poor.

I'm trying to be nice because last time I dissed Willo I got a rigging haha. I should have said "some" and not "most". Forgive me. I don't like him as a player but he's often tidy on the ball, compared to Evans anyways. Faults are he can't move, he doesn't really get stuck in despite getting stuck in more than the rest and he seemingly isn't aware of the vast expanse of pitch in front of him, but only aware of what's behind him and to the side of him.

My problems with the CMs apply for all of them really, making me wonder if it's a problem in personnel or in tactics. A good few times Wolves walked through the centre, with our midfielders content to stand off and back away. It cost us countless times last season and will do so again this time round.

• Backroom

that's how i'd describe Lowe. Williamson is a better footballer then Lowe.

Neither of them are much good to be honest. Williamson should have been released this summer, really. We only need one of him or Lowe and we know the latter is never going anywhere as long as GB is manager. If Hope is coming in, what's the point in retaining Williamson?

Maybe o'sullivan and lenighan will be loaned out again ..if GB doesnt think they're ready for first team it would make some kind if sense even its just to get a couple of wages off the books for a couple of months ....... btw what a good squad Hughes is building at Stoke ... Van Ginkel Bojan Affellay and now possibly Xerdan Shaquiri (sp)

Neither of them are much good to be honest. Williamson should have been released this summer, really. We only need one of him or Lowe and we know the latter is never going anywhere as long as GB is manager. If Hope is coming in, what's the point in retaining Williamson?

I said this at the time. All this harping on about how valuable each squad place is, then he offers Williamson a new deal? Surprised even Bowyer's staunchest admirers were happy about that. IMO Willo is the same sort of player as Lowe and Evans, very little between them except about 10 years. Willo is past it for this league and would do a good job in League One.

Should have kept the squad place and wages free for someone else IMO.

• Backroom

I said this at the time. All this harping on about how valuable each squad place is, then he offers Williamson a new deal? Surprised even Bowyer's staunchest admirers were happy about that. IMO Willo is the same sort of player as Lowe and Evans, very little between them except about 10 years. Willo is past it for this league and would do a good job in League One.

Should have kept the squad place and wages free for someone else IMO.

Indeed. Baffling decision. Even if both Lowe and Evans did get injured we still have back up in the reserves/youth team. If Hope Akpan comes in we have once again unnecessarily stockpiled players in a position that's already covered - though has it been answered why Reading would release him to us on a free transfer?

Maybe o'sullivan and lenighan will be loaned out again ..if GB doesnt think they're ready for first team it would make some kind if sense even its just to get a couple of wages off the books for a couple of months ....... btw what a good squad Hughes is building at Stoke ... Van Ginkel Bojan Affellay and now possibly Xerdan Shaquiri (sp)

Both in their twenties and both given one year deals. If they aren't up to it now they will never be. I fear they could become another Judge and Marrow.

I thought it was a good decision to sign up Williamson on a 12 month deal again. He played well last season. The problem is of course that as soon as the useless Jason Lowe is fit again GB plays him and as such Williamson probably won't get that much of a look in despite being a far superior player to Lowe.

So looked at that way, it was pointless giving Williamson a new deal at his age if you're not going to play him.

On first showing I thought Guthrie and Koita have good potential. Delfauneso looks a bit languid, but did ok for our goal - need him up front rather than wide.

Promising signs

Promising, if plodding along at mid table whilst racking up millions in debt is promising then yeah.

Promising, if plodding along at mid table whilst racking up millions in debt is promising then yeah.

To be fair, as a one off, mid table would probably not be a total disaster this season given the embargo which will presumably end next summer and assuming the owners long term commitment isn't affected and they don't decide to pull the plug out at the end of it or in the meantime.

The problem I have on yesterday's showing is assuming we're capable of a midtable finish. Narrowly avoiding relegation at best imo. Hanley, Guthrie, Rhodes, Koita and Conway looked ok, the rest of them, dear me.

To be fair, as a one off, mid table would probably not be a total disaster this season given the embargo which will presumably end next summer and assuming the owners long term commitment isn't affected and they don't decide to pull the plug out at the end of it or in the meantime.

The problem I have on yesterday's showing is assuming we're capable of a midtable finish. Narrowly avoiding relegation at best imo. Hanley, Guthrie, Rhodes, Koita and Conway looked ok, the rest of them, dear me.

The unfortunate part of this situation is that mid table might actually be celebrated. Another year, another umpteen million added to the debt and another year where we are further away from our goals.

The worry is, GB will probably be in charge regardless, and so if we get another chance to invest and build, it will be wasted on a manager who despite being good in the transfer market, is poor tactically. We will just go round and round in circles with Bowyer until Venky's pull the plug.

Two players signed for nothing who could be really good - promising.

Or as we are in debt should we scrap thr transfer thread and just talk about that?!

The unfortunate part of this situation is that mid table might actually be celebrated. Another year, another umpteen million added to the debt and another year where we are further away from our goals.

The worry is, GB will probably be in charge regardless, and so if we get another chance to invest and build, it will be wasted on a manager who despite being good in the transfer market, is poor tactically. We will just go round and round in circles with Bowyer until Venky's pull the plug.

Can't disagree. Looking round the stadium on a beautiful sunlit day, I couldn't help thinking everything was in place. A lot of money has obviously been invested in the pitch which looked stunning. They'd even spent money on a new bright blue track round the pitch and a new technical area with our logo etc which looked stunning. Under the Walkers that sort of minor detail would have been left to go to rack and ruin until it disintegrated. All good to go.

Then you look round and see the manager in the dug out..............

The one thing that really matters.

Archived