BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Same could be said of Guthrie but he looks miles better than Lowe, Williamson or Evans.

It doesn't take much to look better than those three, does it?

We've had plenty of players come into that midfield position, look decent in their first outing then proceed to contribute nothing. Spearing comes to mind as the most recent example. No point passing any judgement on Guthrie until he's completed a couple of months - if he stays fit and productive then great. If not he'll just be part of a long list of failures in the midfield and forward positions in recent times.

Do

You remember Jake Kean?

I understand what you are saying but there has to be balance. If I was the manager, I'd want to blood kids in the cups first!

It can go both ways being introduced at such a young age.

Goalkeepers are different, they are the last line of defence, they make a mistake its normally a goal, outfield players make mistakes, especially more offensive ones, dont really get noticed as much

It does seem to me that once again, as was the case in the summer of 2013 when he first took over, that Bowyer's options appear to have changed over the course of the summer.

This appears to be due to a shifting position of the owners over the course of a summer.

Lets remember 2013. There was delay in announcing Bowyer as the new permanent manager. It could have been done immediately after the season ended but there was about a month of waiting before they announced it. Then very soon after he got the job Bowyer bought in 'cheap' free agents - Alan Judge, Chris Taylor and Alex Marrow. Whilst eyebrows were raised about those signings they were at least 'low risk' in that they were on short term, low(ish) paid contracts and that in the cases of Judge and Marrow were well known to Bowyer and he knew they could come in and be the right sort of characters.

Then there was a quiet period, before all of a sudden in the last 3-4 weeks of the window, after the season had started, we brought in Ben Marshall, Cory Evans, Tom Cairney - established and good quality Championship players. Their arrivals suddenly meant that Marrow and Judge were no longer needed, and were quickly shipped out. It was almost as though they were used as stop-gaps to fill in for a period of time.

A similar sort of thing appears to me to have happened this summer. We had our 'quiet period' where there was little/no business done in terms of incoming players - the only deals done were cheap free agents like Petschi and Koita - and contract extensions for Williamson and Taylor - and now as we enter August all of a sudden Bowyer appears to have more freedom in the market (albeit within the constraints of the embargo) to add players who presumably cost more money - Guthrie and now Akpan - who are in all probability significantly better options than Sacha Petshi.

Quite why there is this bizarre way of doing business I'm not sure. Possibly the cash brought in for Gestede has been a welcome boost and Venkys have allowed some of the money to be reinvested to pay the wages for new players. However this wasn't the case in 2013, as we didn't sell anyone of value in that window. Instead it then appeared as though somebody suddenly decided that they were prepared to pay money for players and that then enabled us to spend £1 million+ on Marshall for example.

The imminent signing of Hope Akpan is again an odd signing for me. I know very little about him but presume he is a central midfielder. Central midfield is an area we are very well stocked in. We have Evans, Lowe and Williamson who have been regulars under Bowyer. We have Guthrie who the manager has described as Premier League quality. We have Petschi who has signed this summer (though I don't expect to ever feature for the first team), we have, if needed, Darragh Lenighan and Chris Taylor who can both play central midfield.

The only way we would need another is if one or more are leaving. Lowe is clearly an integral part of the manager's plans. Williamson, Taylor, Lenighan and Petshi have all recently signed contracts. So then the only one I can think of is Corry Evans, as he might fetch some money. I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with this as I think that Evans has the ability to be a good player in the Championship. He's played a lot of games and is still a good age, and showed when he first arrived here that he can be a good asset. He's certainly a better bet than Williamson, Taylor or Petschi.

Nothing changes. You would think the current situation requires signing fewer bodies with the emphasis on known qualities. But no, on we go with two unknown frenchies, Delphonso etc, etc. will this be the fifth signing so far? It isn't difficult to believe he'd sign anything that was available, as long as it had two legs.

unless Lowe is going to RB then one of Williamson or Evans will go IMO. Likely be Evans, who they will get some ££ for. Be a shame that.

I would get rid of both of Evans and Williamson.

Then that would mean we would have Guthrie, Lowe, Akpan, Lenihan and Tomlinson as our 5 centre midfielders

Nothing changes. You would think the current situation requires signing fewer bodies with the emphasis on known qualities. But no, on we go with two unknown frenchies, Delphonso etc, etc. will this be the fifth signing so far? It isn't difficult to believe he'd sign anything that was available, as long as it had two legs.

Den - understand your frustration but Guthrie and Koita actually look pretty good and are hardly unknowns having played considerable amounts of top flight football.

Yep I did. He was very good.

I would have Tomlinson playing tomorrow in the cup and see how he plays. I would have like to see him on the bench on Saturday tho.

I don't want to rush young players into thr team if they arent ready. For me, Raya is ready for the 1st choice keeper. He is confidence, command of his box and comes for the ball.

I thought Raya's howler proved he isn't ready. Handball or not, I'd have caught that. I'm all for giving youth a chance but a needless goalkeeping change I'm not sure about. Steele looks much more assured IMO and Bowyer should stick to Steele. I can see this position being chopped and changed, especially when Raya's value goes up (probably went down at the weekend).

As for Akpom, unwanted at Reading, likely another lacklustre centre mid to add to the collection. God help us if someone creative becomes available. Bowyer can sign all the sit-backy, stand-offy defensive mids he likes, I doubt it will improve anything. Midfield needs a change of tact and ideas, not carbon copies of what we've already got.

I would get rid of both of Evans and Williamson.

Then that would mean we would have Guthrie, Lowe, Akpan, Lenihan and Tomlinson as our 5 centre midfielders

I'd agree but I can't see Bowyer binning Williamson. You forgot Petshi too.

I suspect where we are going with this is we sign Akpan, sell Evans, and we see combinations of Guthrie, Akpan, Williamson and Lowe for the season, while Lenihan, Tomlinson and Petshi play reserve football.

The lineup tomorrow night will give us some idea if Petshi or Tomlinson are in the first team plans (Lenihan is still injured I think).

It's like Gary just acts on impulse. Brings in players for the sake of bringing in bodies only to want an upgraded version once they become available. You cannot keep doing that, and it's something he's done throughout his reign. I'm sure an element of this blame lays with Venky's over their hesitant decision making but as I said the other day he clearly hasn't got much of a clue as to his best 11 or what's required in the side.

Just imagine if we had managed to sign Le Fondre. It would be like watching a Reading reunion team!

Whilst I am pleased that we are signing people of a good age with experience of playing at this level in Guthrie and Akpan I am slightly concerned that these are players unwanted by Reading who we are going to be relying on this season.

One or two Reading fans on twitter seem perplexed/amused that we are assembling a midfield combination that they weren't keen on, to say the least.

I thought Raya's howler proved he isn't ready. Handball or not, I'd have caught that. I'm all for giving youth a chance but a needless goalkeeping change I'm not sure about. Steele looks much more assured IMO and Bowyer should stick to Steele. I can see this position being chopped and changed, especially when Raya's value goes up (probably went down at the weekend).

As for Akpom, unwanted at Reading, likely another lacklustre centre mid to add to the collection. God help us if someone creative becomes available. Bowyer can sign all the sit-backy, stand-offy defensive mids he likes, I doubt it will improve anything. Midfield needs a change of tact and ideas, not carbon copies of what we've already got.

Guthrie is creative. we signed him a couple of weeks ago. Bowyer didn't sign lowe or Willo.

If Akpan, not Akpom, is better than what we already have in the ball-wiining role then it's a good thing.

Its almost funny that we've ended up going into the new season with one of Williamson, Lowe or Evans as our first choice central midfielders.

Whilst Mr Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Danny Gutherie is a good signing, playing any one of our other options makes our central midfield much weaker than many other sides.

Just seen extended highlights of the V Wolves game. The Wolves shot that hit the crossbar in the 2nd half - it looked to me if Raya totally miss-judged it. It wasn't a rocket shot and right at him and he thought it was going over the top so made no attempt. Lucky boy.

It's like Gary just acts on impulse. Brings in players for the sake of bringing in bodies only to want an upgraded version once they become available. You cannot keep doing that, and it's something he's done throughout his reign. I'm sure an element of this blame lays with Venky's over their hesitant decision making but as I said the other day he clearly hasn't got much of a clue as to his best 11 or what's required in the side.

LOL, you're now moaning because he's trying to improve the squad.

Just imagine if we had managed to sign Le Fondre. It would be like watching a Reading reunion team!

Whilst I am pleased that we are signing people of a good age with experience of playing at this level in Guthrie and Akpan I am slightly concerned that these are players unwanted by Reading who we are going to be relying on this season.

One or two Reading fans on twitter seem perplexed/amused that we are assembling a midfield combination that they weren't keen on, to say the least.

That is depressing but says it all

Its almost funny that we've ended up going into the new season with one of Williamson, Lowe or Evans as our first choice central midfielders.

Whilst Mr Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Danny Gutherie is a good signing, playing any one of our other options makes our central midfield much weaker than many other sides.

That looks like it was a right good do!

I've never seen Akpan play, so I can't possibly judge his ability. It just worries me that a guy unfancied at Reading is set to sign. It fits the mould of Spearing, P. Taylor, etc. from last season.

I like Guthrie, he has prem experience and I think he has more quality than the rest of our midfield, it's just injuries have haunted him. So given we are under embargo I can understand taking a chance on him. With Akpan, what has he got that we haven't already got in midfield?...that's a genuine question by the way as I know nothing about the player.

At 23 years old he has time on his side...perhaps my bigger concern with this is that I don't think GB and his coaching staff will get the best out of him.

Of course if this signing means that Lowe is out of the team then I'm much happier :tu:

Guthrie is creative. we signed him a couple of weeks ago. Bowyer didn't sign lowe or Willo.

If Akpan, not Akpom, is better than what we already have in the ball-wiining role then it's a good thing.

Guthrie seems more creative than the rest but not the driving force we need in CM IMO. As for Akpan (not sure why I wrote Akpom), can you see Bowyer dropping Lowe for a similar ball-winning CM? I can't. And if he's 23 and Reading are that keen to ship him on, I doubt he'll be much improvement on what we've got.

Lowe will be at right back, Gaz would sell his soul to the devil before he'd bench him everyweek. Job for life in this team that lad has, if Bumley had managed to get Hanley then no guesses where the armband would have gone.

Lowe will be at right back, Gaz would sell his soul to the devil before he'd bench him everyweek. Job for life in this team that lad has, if Bumley had managed to get Hanley then no guesses where the armband would have gone.

There's still a chance of that happening if Hanley ends up at Palace too. Oh dear oh dear.

Archived