BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lowe will be at right back, Gaz would sell his soul to the devil before he'd bench him everyweek. Job for life in this team that lad has, if Bumley had managed to get Hanley then no guesses where the armband would have gone.

If he has to play him then I'd much sooner it be at right back personally. Henley is incapable there, Lowe has done ok there (nothing more) in the past.. Personally think it's his best position.

Guthrie seems more creative than the rest but not the driving force we need in CM IMO. As for Akpan (not sure why I wrote Akpom), can you see Bowyer dropping Lowe for a similar ball-winning CM? I can't. And if he's 23 and Reading are that keen to ship him on, I doubt he'll be much improvement on what we've got.

People made that mistake with Rudy. Wait till he plays before you judge him.

Did you see 16 year old Reece Oxford make his debut for West Ham at the Emirates yesterday? He looked terrific and great credit to Bilic for playing him. Sometimes managers have to be brave, ours isn't and it is that simple to me.

Not every team has a Reece Oxford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowyer won't be getting rid of Williamson. He gave him a new deal a couple of months ago and we all know how valuable each squad place is...

Does anybody ever consider the cost of individual contracts? If the cost of Williamson is 'cheap' then signing him is a good deal. From my seat whilst certainly no Tugay I have rarely seen Williamson either let us down or not put a decent shift in. Same can be said for Taylor and likely Brown. The policy has to be to work within a budget and by keeping low cost players like those we can maybe push the budget at the other end of the scale. It does appear to me that it's the big earners who have been the main ones let go by the club.

Only my opinion and I've no details but I'd imagine Evans is on quite a lot for his ability and contribution so he could well leave before the likes of Taylor and Williamson. I've a feeling Olsson too is on significantly more than he is worth.

Just imagine if we had managed to sign Le Fondre. It would be like watching a Reading reunion team!

Whilst I am pleased that we are signing people of a good age with experience of playing at this level in Guthrie and Akpan I am slightly concerned that these are players unwanted by Reading who we are going to be relying on this season.

One or two Reading fans on twitter seem perplexed/amused that we are assembling a midfield combination that they weren't keen on, to say the least.

Only cos we've drained Cardiff of their surplus players.

Just seen extended highlights of the V Wolves game. The Wolves shot that hit the crossbar in the 2nd half - it looked to me if Raya totally miss-judged it. It wasn't a rocket shot and right at him and he thought it was going over the top so made no attempt. Lucky boy.

I thought the exact same. If it was hit from a yard or two further out, he was lobbed.

People made that mistake with Rudy. Wait till he plays before you judge him.

Don't know what it is but I tend to be more hopeful with those who aren't centre mids. Something about the position over the last couple of years has made me think that perhaps everyone is rubbish there. Perhaps it's the tactics/style of play. I think the midfield are held back a bit much, told to sitback and hold position instead of closing down perhaps? A big issue I had last year which I had again on Saturday, was opposition midfielders walking with the ball in a dangerous position not far from the edge of the box, and the midfielders banked up, sat back watching them approach. I have a feeling it's a tactic intended to keep it tight but IMO it just leaves gaping holes. Our centre midfield was cut open all last season and was again on Saturday. I'm starting to think it doesn't matter who the personnel is.

Players who play/can play central midfield for Rovers:

Jason Lowe

Lee Williamson

Corry Evans

Danny Guthrie

Sacha Petschi

Darragh Lenighan

Chris Taylor

Hope Akpan

I reckon that Corry Evans (12 months remaining on contract?) is on his way. Not the answer to our issues in midfield at all IMO.

Evans was excellent for us between August and December 2013. Then he got injured and missed the rest of 2013-14 season. Last season he was disappointing. The point being that he has the ability and is only about 25 meaning he has time ahead of him.

People like Taylor, Williamson and Petschi are far more limited in ability.

I would like our midfield duo to rotate between Evans, Guthrie and Akpan, with Lowe/Williamson as back-up. Lowe also competing with Henley for RB. Taylor as back up out wide. Lenighan as our 4th CB.

Does anybody ever consider the cost of individual contracts? If the cost of Williamson is 'cheap' then signing him is a good deal. From my seat whilst certainly no Tugay I have rarely seen Williamson either let us down or not put a decent shift in. Same can be said for Taylor and likely Brown. The policy has to be to work within a budget and by keeping low cost players like those we can maybe push the budget at the other end of the scale. It does appear to me that it's the big earners who have been the main ones let go by the club.

Only my opinion and I've no details but I'd imagine Evans is on quite a lot for his ability and contribution so he could well leave before the likes of Taylor and Williamson. I've a feeling Olsson too is on significantly more than he is worth.

Chaddy suggested selling him, hence my comment. If Williamson is on £8k a week but isn't going to get a sniff then it isn't good business. It's £400k a year flushed away. Also known as around 1,500 ST holders moneys. I'd also sooner see Evans leave than Taylor. I'd like to see CT given a shot when back from injury, but not in CM. He's a winger who can occasionally perform behind the striker. As for Brown, he does put a shift in but I find he's wasted in a team that doesn't offer support to the strikers. He hasn't got goals in him but he'll set up a few. Difficult for him to do when there's hardly anyone nearby, same applies for JR, who was excellent on Saturday until our team reverted to type and stopped playing it to his feet. He still won a few headers, mind.

Personally, whilst I think Willo does put a shift in, he was simply the best of a bad bunch last season. Too slow and too easy to get past. He and Evans cost us a good few goals by opposition midfielders ghosting past them. Not to mention he's afraid of going forwards (likely as he can't get back). As I said to blueboy, perhaps it's not a fault with the personnel but with the set up.

Of course if this signing means that Lowe is out of the team then I'm much happier :tu:

Why this witch hunt for Lowe? Is it a virus that's going around?

Must say if I were to make a comparison I'd liken Lowe to Super Atko. Not the most creative by a mile but reads play and covers for his team mates well and closes lots of holes in our midfield. He may not be the favourite for the inexperienced or less knowledgeable casual observer BUT his contribution will be valued by Manager and team mates alike. Every club needs one.

Guthrie seems more creative than the rest but not the driving force we need in CM IMO. As for Akpan (not sure why I wrote Akpom), can you see Bowyer dropping Lowe for a similar ball-winning CM? I can't. And if he's 23 and Reading are that keen to ship him on, I doubt he'll be much improvement on what we've got.

If Guthrie's range of passing is as good as expectations he may come into his own playing just deeper than Brown. Last year v Bolton Brown won every long pass and held it up long enough to lay it back to Cairney who was given the time and space to spray creative passes about at will.

Lowe will be at right back, Gaz would sell his soul to the devil before he'd bench him everyweek. Job for life in this team that lad has, if Bumley had managed to get Hanley then no guesses where the armband would have gone.

In no way is Lowe a full back imo. Seems the virus is spreading.

Not every team has a Reece Oxford.

When Phil Jones made his debut how many had heard of him or thought he was too young? I'd wager the majority did.

Until we put young players in we just won't know (O'Sullivan is now 23 and still not considered good enough). Of course it's a risk but sometimes the risk is worth it.

When Phil Jones made his debut how many had heard of him or thought he was too young? I'd wager the majority did.

Until we put young players in we just won't know (O'Sullivan is now 23 and still not considered good enough). Of course it's a risk but sometimes the risk is worth it.

They do know about the young players cause they train every day, they are monitored within an inch of their lives. They knew Jones was good enough, that's why he played in the first team.

They do know about the young players cause they train every day, they are monitored within an inch of their lives. They knew Jones was good enough, that's why he played in the first team.

You are missing my point which is until they are involved by playing for the first team nobody knows how they will fare. Training ground/friendlies bear no resemblance to the real thing. And until that happens nobody knows.

O'Sullivan has trained with the first team for some time now and was given a new deal recently so how is he not even considered good enough for the bench now? He must have been monitored within an inch of his life and still can't get a sniff.

You are missing my point which is until they are involved by playing for the first team nobody knows how they will fare. Training ground/friendlies bear no resemblance to the real thing. And until that happens nobody knows.

O'Sullivan has trained with the first team for some time now and was given a new deal recently so how is he not even considered good enough for the bench now? He must have been monitored within an inch of his life and still can't get a sniff.

So you saying every youth team player should play for the first team?

Why this witch hunt for Lowe? Is it a virus that's going around?

Must say if I were to make a comparison I'd liken Lowe to Super Atko. Not the most creative by a mile but reads play and covers for his team mates well and closes lots of holes in our midfield. He may not be the favourite for the inexperienced or less knowledgeable casual observer BUT his contribution will be valued by Manager and team mates alike. Every club needs one.

I wouldn't call it a witch hunt on my part...I certainly don't go round booing him or anything. Some fans rate players, other fans think those same player's aren't up to it....that's football I guess. It doesn't mean that those fans are less knowledgeable or casual observers though.

It might be that under a better coach / manager that Lowe would improve. For me i've seen enough of him since he broke into the side under Kean to not be overly convinced. I'd love for him to go on and become a great player for Rovers.

Same old same old.

Two sitting midfield players at home, who have no inclination to ever make runs to support or get beyond forwards. Combined with sitting too deep, harrying opposition and not tackling, I'm still not impressed.

Though midfield take their defensive position from the centre halves, who still sit too deep and are slow to push up the field. Again we've seen this before from this pairing, just does not work. Started the game quite well, easily in control of long punts down the field, yet when they get turned and dragged out of position they get found out. Lack of communication? Hopefully Kilgallon will be in the team soon.

Were you there Boz? I saw Duffy make a lot or forward runs. Not only that but Kilgallon is a master of long hopeful punts down the fioeld to no one in particular. Decent CH BUT his distribution is terrible.

So you saying every youth team player should play for the first team?

I have read my post again and have no idea where you got that notion from but to answer your question if they are good enough yes.

If we could get rid of Evans, Lowe and Willo then Akan might be a good signing.

When was the last time Evans had 3/4 good games in a row? I don't get to see the team every week and often have to watch on Rovers Player but apart from his first few games has he done it at all? I'd be quite happy to see him leave.

Lowe gets stick because although he isn't as bad as some would have you believe, he isn't a particularly good football player. Has he actually improved at all over the last 2-3 years? Currently I don't think he is close to good enough for a team with any hope of a play off challenge, a squad player for a lower mid table team he's ok.

Of course any signing that improves the first 11 is a good one but what does it say about the transfer policy?

On Tomlinson, what found most impressive about the two appearances I saw him make was how comfortable he looked, not his goal. He wasn't anything exceptional but he was neat and tidy on the ball, forward looking and he got stuck in. He is very young but i wouldn't be surprised at all if he could handle playing first team football right now, and do it better than some more senior players.

Is Lenihan any good at CM? Does GB see him as a defender now?

Were you there Boz? I saw Duffy make a lot or forward runs. Not only that but Kilgallon is a master of long hopeful punts down the fioeld to no one in particular. Decent CH BUT his distribution is terrible.

Yes.

I was referring to midfield players making runs in support of forwards and getting beyond strikers. You mentioned Super Atko, besides carrying the water, this was exactly what he did and hence scored goals from making late runs into the opposition's box.

Sounds like you agree, that you want your centre halves to defend first and foremost, this season we cannot be in the same position in having to score three goals to get something out of a game.

If Reading fans are anything to go off then don't get your Hope's up over Akpan....

Most fans don't rate players who are leaving their club, in our case some fans don't even rate Rhodes and most championship clubs would give their right arm to have Rhodes.

Archived