BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

If Guthrie's range of passing is as good as expectations he may come into his own playing just deeper than Brown. Last year v Bolton Brown won every long pass and held it up long enough to lay it back to Cairney who was given the time and space to spray creative passes about at will.

Haha you see a different game to me. Brown wins every long pass, Rhodes wins none. Whilst Brown's hold up game is strong, he gives it away a heck of a lot. Guthrie behind Brown? He's not an attacking midfielder. Not quick, skilful nor direct enough. Lacking the dribbling skills too. Wouldn't work.

Out of interest, what did you think of Rhodes's display on Saturday? Personally think his hold up play was very good. He won a good few headers too. Funny it was his finishing that let him down this time, though I do think he fouled the defender just before the miss.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because there is no method behind his transfer activity! He harps on about pace all summer yet we've still not brought anyone in with any! It's alright though because we'll have 7 central midfielders.

In the LT articles today and yesterday it's suggested that Bowyer is looking for players with pace and also loan players from the Prem. Just because they haven't brought any in doesn't mean they're not trying.

As an aside, The LT gets slagged on here but they tend to get most things right. Callum Robinson was a case in point, widely rumoured to be signing by all and sundry but the LT put the kibosh on it a week or two before he went elsewhere. Rumours from the national media are normally reported on in the LT, but quickly dismissed within a day or two if there's nothing in it.

If he has to play him then I'd much sooner it be at right back personally. Henley is incapable there, Lowe has done ok there (nothing more) in the past.. Personally think it's his best position.

I like Henley there personally. I think he will do the whole season at rb. If Gaz didn't fancy him we would have signed a rb over the summer.

Hmmm. Signing a winger and a cm, our two most well stocked positions, while we have a real lack of centre backs.

It's pretty odd. But if they are better than what we have and go into the matchday squad then great. If not (a la Dabo, Marrow etc) you have to wonder what is going on.

Hmmm. Signing a winger and a cm, our two most well stocked positions, while we have a real lack of centre backs.

It's pretty odd. But if they are better than what we have and go into the matchday squad then great. If not (a la Dabo, Marrow etc) you have to wonder what is going on.

Name 3 out and out wingers in the club. I'll name two for you- Conway, Marshall!

I know we have converted strikers and potentially a left full back who can do it, but Rhodes will get better service if we can get actual out and out wide attacking players!

Would be more reassuring if the footage was from a Championship match last season.

Seems a lot of Reading fans can't wait to get shot.

However, the tombola has made it's pick.

• Backroom

a very quick one hopefully. Marshall & Conway are no slouches but they aren't Windy Miller, the bandy legged whippet, either!

Marshall is apparently playing in the hole now (or disappearing into one).

Name 3 out and out wingers in the club. I'll name two for you- Conway, Marshall!

I know we have converted strikers and potentially a left full back who can do it, but Rhodes will get better service if we can get actual out and out wide attacking players!

Few squads, even the best, have more than two wingers. Wide players are usually a mix of proper wingers (Conway being our only proper touchline hugger) and players who look more to play in the inside positions (O'Sullivan, Marshall, Taylor), and occasionally converted strikers.

For us our wide players are Marshall, Conway, Taylor, O'Sullivan, plus Delfy looks like he will play there. Five players for two positions seems plenty when we only have three centre backs.

Someone mentioned Taylor is injured - how long is he out? Maybe that is what has provked this?

Haha you see a different game to me. Brown wins every long pass, Rhodes wins none. Whilst Brown's hold up game is strong, he gives it away a heck of a lot. Guthrie behind Brown? He's not an attacking midfielder. Not quick, skilful nor direct enough. Lacking the dribbling skills too. Wouldn't work.

Out of interest, what did you think of Rhodes's display on Saturday? Personally think his hold up play was very good. He won a good few headers too. Funny it was his finishing that let him down this time, though I do think he fouled the defender just before the miss.

Rhodes had a blinding 1st 30 mins which naturally faded with the rest of the team as Wolves got to grips with us. Very unlucky with his (for him unusually long range) effort off the post . On Saturday he put a real shift in...... maybe no surprise at al if you had seen the number of scouts constantly scribbling notes in the Directors box.

btw I see Boro failed to score! Gibbo will be feeling some pressure between the fans, karanka and the Bank manager I'd wager..... and especially when no one will answer what must be his increasingly desperate calls in Pune :tu:

Marshall is apparently playing in the hole now (or disappearing into one).

Don't be harsh. Marshall only turns up every third match. Saturday must have been one of the other 66%.

It's like Gary just acts on impulse. Brings in players for the sake of bringing in bodies only to want an upgraded version once they become available. You cannot keep doing that, and it's something he's done throughout his reign. I'm sure an element of this blame lays with Venky's over their hesitant decision making but as I said the other day he clearly hasn't got much of a clue as to his best 11 or what's required in the side.

This made me laugh...nothing personal but last week Bowyer was being accused of wanting to look closely at every single player...described a indecisive.

Now he's impulsive!!! 😂😂

Joe Garner giving a masterclass upfront performance now.

Infact PNE closing down and first to everyball, pressing high up the pitch.

You taking notes Gaz?

Did Joe close his eyes when he missed that sitter of an header that should have won the game for Preston

Rhodes had a blinding 1st 30 mins which naturally faded with the rest of the team as Wolves got to grips with us. Very unlucky with his (for him unusually long range) effort off the post . On Saturday he put a real shift in...... maybe no surprise at al if you had seen the number of scouts constantly scribbling notes in the Directors box.

btw I see Boro failed to score! Gibbo will be feeling some pressure between the fans, karanka and the Bank manager I'd wager..... and especially when no one will answer what must be his increasingly desperate calls in Pune :tu:

Don't be harsh. Marshall only turns up every third match. Saturday must have been one of the other 66%.

Fair comments there Gordon. When we took our foot off the gas and sat deeper we looked a lot worse. Wolves were no great shakes though and I felt a bit more positivity could have worked for us.

Marshall needs a rocket up his backside. He knows his place is secure each week and it shows. Turns up as and when he wants to.

This made me laugh...nothing personal but last week Bowyer was being accused of wanting to look closely at every single player...described a indecisive.

Now he's impulsive!!!

Wrong choice of words on my behalf perhaps. He does however have a history of bringing players in only to then deem then not good enough (Judge/Marrow/Steele etc).

He now seems to be doing the same with Petshi and Evans. Signs the former and then Guthrie/Akpom become available so we're then stuck with a player who is highly unlikely to play. Of course timings are crucial with any player but a club in our financial state can ill afford 7 central midfielders. Even if we ship out Evans that will make 6. As I say, there is no method behind the madness.

Bowyer has now been on Radio Lancashire saying that the transfer embargo does not prevent player+cash deals i.e. Rhodes to Sunderland for some money and a player.

Why is he saying this? Once again he seems to be actively encouraging/promoting teams to come in and make an offer for our star player.

At this stage, with his hands tied in terms of signings, Bowyer should be fighting tooth and nail to keep Rhodes here. Yet every interview he does he appears to be encouraging teams to bid for him.

Player + cash is only any good if the player coming in is joining permanently and is prepared to join for £10k per week.

Loaning player(s) in exchange is a waste of time and we would see a reduced fee for Rhodes in return for being able to borrow someone for a season. Then if that player does well they can go elsewhere with no money coming to us in return. If we're going to sell players we need to be able to reinvest the proceeds into buying decent players who will be contracted to the club.

Actually scrap that, it appears the tweet I read was wrong and that Bowyer actually said player+cash exchange for Rhodes would NOT be possible under the embargo rules.

So I guess that rules out the Sunderland exchange story.

Although I would be prepared to negotiate a slightly reduced fee if it meant selling Rhodes to a Premier League club rather than a rival club.

Bowyer has now been on Radio Lancashire saying that the transfer embargo does not prevent player+cash deals i.e. Rhodes to Sunderland for some money and a player.

Why is he saying this? Once again he seems to be actively encouraging/promoting teams to come in and make an offer for our star player.

At this stage, with his hands tied in terms of signings, Bowyer should be fighting tooth and nail to keep Rhodes here. Yet every interview he does he appears to be encouraging teams to bid for him.

Player + cash is only any good if the player coming in is joining permanently and is prepared to join for £10k per week.

Loaning player(s) in exchange is a waste of time and we would see a reduced fee for Rhodes in return for being able to borrow someone for a season. Then if that player does well they can go elsewhere with no money coming to us in return. If we're going to sell players we need to be able to reinvest the proceeds into buying decent players who will be contracted to the club.

Actually scrap that, it appears the tweet I read was wrong and that Bowyer actually said player+cash exchange for Rhodes would NOT be possible under the embargo rules.

So I guess that rules out the Sunderland exchange story.

Although I would be prepared to negotiate a slightly reduced fee if it meant selling Rhodes to a Premier League club rather than a rival club.

They want out of the embargo and have their eye on some cash buys...

Rhodes for ££ and a player on loan with a view to a permanent deal + cash to spend is a plan...

Archived