BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Moderation Lead

Eh sorry khod. I'm not writing him off yet. Just how it felt to me. I don't think I've ever dismissed a rovers signing this early.

Wasn't on about you PV.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would write a player off without even completing 90 minutes or a full pre-season. Madness.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot believe one player has been written off after 65? minutes playing for us. Jesus Christ.

I seem to be one of the few that thought he did alright first half. The balls aimed at him were often difficult to control as they were hoofs but when he got it on the deck he actually had a run at people, something that's a bit rare in our team. Granted he was anonymous in the 2nd half but he certainly wasn't the only one. Going off that 65 min imo he offers more than Varney at least.

• Moderation Lead

I seem to be one of the few that thought he did alright first half. The balls aimed at him were often difficult to control as they were hoofs but when he got it on the deck he actually had a run at people, something that's a bit rare in our team. Granted he was anonymous in the 2nd half but he certainly wasn't the only one. Going off that 65 min imo he offers more than Varney at least.

I thought he did well at times in the first half, got some pace and could be a threat if used correctly.

Ridiculous the criticism some players get at Rovers. Shameful at times.

Come on it happens at every club. I remember being in the Lowfields stand at bellend rd when I couldn't get in the away end. Mike whitlow got nasty abuse of the yorkies.

Wasn't on about you PV.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would write a player off without even completing 90 minutes or a full pre-season. Madness.

Have you ever met JAL? I have never seen such a professional and organised writer-off-er. She can write a whole squad off before you've even got out of bed.

Indeed in 1987 she wrote off Phil Jones despite the fact he only existed as the ununited potentiality of a sperm and an egg riding around the joggers of his mother and father. That's dedication that is.

When a manager who seemingly has the best interests of the club at heart, who has tried to push our youngsters towards first team contention, who has actively tried and succeeded in bringing down the wage bill and correct the wrongs of a previous very questionable manager gets criticised so readily, is it any wonder the players get it in the neck? Our club and therefore are fans are still recovering from probably the worst era in our history. I don't blame anyone for feeling bitter. But equally I can see that clinging to that bitterness is actually detrimental to the club in the here and now.

The sweet just doesn't taste as good if you've never tasted the sour. Or something like that. Our time will come again.

Name 3 out and out wingers in the club. I'll name two for you- Conway, Marshall!

I know we have converted strikers and potentially a left full back who can do it, but Rhodes will get better service if we can get actual out and out wide attacking players!

Just to play Devil's advocate for a minute, how many "out and out wingers" do you need. I think there's an argument you can only afford the luxury of playing one at any one time, in fact Sir Alf won the World Cup without any and that was nearly 50 years ago.

We already have Marshall, Conway, Taylor and O'Sullivan at the Club and the new lad makes 5. How many wingers/wide midfielders do you need? Fair enough if Barrow is streets ahead of everyone else at the Club in that position but what we've been guilty of in recent seasons is stockpiling huge numbers of players in certain positions who are no better than the ones we already had.

Over the last couple of seasons it's been wingers/wide men and goalkeepers, now it seems to be wingers/wide men and central midfielders.

Nick Powell anyone?

Yes please. I guessed he was the one mentioned as an attacking midfielder. He has quality we need and would be a good fit for the new systen and an alternative to Marshall in the "hole".

Question marks over fitness and attitude, but if there wasn´t he wouldn´t be an option. I think McPhillips brought him up in Crewe so he could be the man to revive his career.

I got into this debate with Chaddy the other day. He informed me that pre-season takes place at their previous club so that cannot be used as an excuse.

I think GB and his scouting team deserve some credit for their activities so far in the season. He gets some fearful criticism on here but I think Gary is a football man; has a powerful influence in his Dad who must have taught him a lot about the game and the psychology of football.

He's clearly learning the role of manager and will improve in time in the peripherals of the job such as media work.

I like the fact Tommy Johnson is working with him too as he is a seasoned English pro who'll take no nonsense from inexperienced players.

I wish Gary well this season. If he's successful will only be good for us.

Just to play Devil's advocate for a minute, how many "out and out wingers" do you need. I think there's an argument you can only afford the luxury of playing one at any one time, in fact Sir Alf won the World Cup without any and that was nearly 50 years ago.

We already have Marshall, Conway, Taylor and O'Sullivan at the Club and the new lad makes 5. How many wingers/wide midfielders do you need? Fair enough if Barrow is streets ahead of everyone else at the Club in that position but what we've been guilty of in recent seasons is stockpiling huge numbers of players in certain positions who are no better than the ones we already had.

Over the last couple of seasons it's been wingers/wide men and goalkeepers, now it seems to be wingers/wide men and central midfielders.

A continuation of a crass transfer policy, more like sourcing players as good investments with a view to a sell on profit rather than building a team.

He ran like a headless chicken, into a brick wall. And the rest was pure luck

He made Keith Andrews look like Messi.

Thankfully common sense says he needs 10/15 games before we know which way he will go, and even after that if he's done nothing for us - he might go somewhere else and find it.

Footballs weird like that. There is a few people on this website who do the write off thing but I'll never join in. Even Keith Andrews had his uses next to players in a 451, if you don't believe me ask Big Sam.

A continuation of a crass transfer policy, more like sourcing players as good investments with a view to a sell on profit rather than building a team.

Hands aren't exactly free to pick and choose whoever we want are they? Even if they where, it would take burying heads in sand to ignore the huge deficit and keep on spending.

I think the flak Delfy has taken is as much down to his career to date which doesn't tend to suggest he'll be any good. His performance on Saturday did nothing to dispel that notion imo but I'd reserve judgement on the basis the manager played him out of position.

I think the criticism Raya has received has been a lot worse tbh. For me he didn't have anything much to do but didn't do anything particularly wrong either. However the criticism he has received from certain quarters presumably on account of his age has been way over the top imo.

• Backroom

I think the flak Delfy has taken is as much down to his career to date which doesn't tend to suggest he'll be any good. His performance on Saturday did nothing to dispel that notion imo but I'd reserve judgement on the basis the manager played him out of position.

I think the criticism Raya has received has been a lot worse tbh. For me he didn't have anything much to do but didn't do anything particularly wrong either. However the criticism he has received from certain quarters presumably on account of his age has been way over the top imo.

Only thing I'd criticise is Raya's assumption that the ref would spot the handball. Had he played to the whistle, he may have saved it and it'd be a non-issue. That aside, he played about as well as could be expected tbh.

I'm not keen on his willingness to be a '5th defender' but if he pulls it off, no problem.

Archived