BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

I don't get the reference to K-hod.

My opinion is based on those slating a freebie after the first game of the season. Pedersen had an awful debut and we got some great seasons out of him before he tailed off. People should pass judgement over a period of time (like many do with the manager) not completely write someone off after 65 mins, and in some quarters at Ewood, slag them off on their debut.

Well I agree with all that. However he looked absolutely out of his depth imo (and that's why he got 65 mins)and I feel entitled to say so. Its too easy to lift the level by using the term "slagged off" and off we go. If you think he was alright, or we shouldn't comment negatively on his first game, well just say so.

But if I am right about his ability and this is the standard of player we are looking for, what are the implications of that?

That is what I am really worried about. Not his fault, he certainly did his best.

Give over, what's the point of judging players after less than a full game? It's embarrassing. Do folk not get a chance any more? FFS.

He 'played before he was ready' for 65 minutes, the only way he'll get ready is by gradually being integrated with game time, same goes for Guthrie.

Guthrie looked to have more ability?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will sign today apparently...they're excited by Akpan as the midfield revolution continues!

Found out that there is a need for more "contact" in there after some of the "pedestrian" performances of our midfield in recent times.

Looks like we're going mibile and physical this season...I have no issues with that at all.

I love it! Make us hard to beat again. I would love it if we became bully boys again

I love it! Make us hard to beat again. I would love it if we became bully boys again

Apart from the King Kenny era, the Hughes years were my favourite. It wasn't pretty but it was effective - and tgat in the top tier. I like to see fight in a Rovers side and hate seeing us being a soft touch - going off the crowd's reaction to a solid challenge, the rest do too. We are desperately waiting for a spark and it will only come from a new signing or youth team player. Passion and aggression are as infectious as apathy... and I'm desperate for a change!

Will sign today apparently...they're excited by Akpan as the midfield revolution continues!

Found out that there is a need for more "contact" in there after some of the "pedestrian" performances of our midfield in recent times.

Looks like we're going mibile and physical this season...I have no issues with that at all.

Mani - will this revolution see any of our current midfield leave ?

Also - general question to anyone with time on their hands - how many spare slots do we have in our maximum permitted squad of 24 (taking into account the strange rules as what constitutes a permanent squad player). ?

When did they realise that they need to change the style? This is something that a lot of fans have been saying for some time now. How on earth Bowyer and his staff couldn't see this beggars belief.

• Backroom

Someone raised an interesting point on Twitter

If we sign Akpan it takes us near that 24 number which would indicate that the youngsters can't play much this season

I think O'Sullivan will leave myself, a few times on Twitter he's seemed annoyed to not be involved

It's good news if they all get used correctly. It's something we've been crying out for in the last few seasons so I wonder why it's taken so long for the penny to finally drop with the coaching staff ?? Also what happens to the previous favs in there ?

If we sign Akpan it takes us near that 24 number which would indicate that the youngsters can't play much this season

I think O'Sullivan will leave myself, a few times on Twitter he's seemed annoyed to not be involved

I asked the question a few weeks ago and no answer .(if there was I missed it)

Once the magical 24 is reached what happens ? Can you one in one out or does the 24 last all season ?

I asked the question a few weeks ago and no answer .(if there was I missed it)

Once the magical 24 is reached what happens ? Can you one in one out or does the 24 last all season ?

I think once the squad is full, you can operate on a 1 in, 1 out basis.

Just been reading the Reading forum- they cant wait to be shot of Akpan: fat, off the pace, cackpan, balls bouncing off him, easily the worst player in the squad and laughably sh1te.... are just some of the comments about him in Preseason. Gutted as really feel we need an enforcer.

That's pretty concerning.

The LT also reckons Reading are willing to pay the remainder of his contract in order to get rid. Not a good sign if they are willing to pay him off just to get rid.

Dont think O'Sullivan counts towards the 24 as he has not started 5 games for us ,and i take it that the rules mean at the start of the season or it would limit youngsters progress during the season.

ffp rules

24 or fewer established players (players aged 21 or over that have made at least 5 starting appearances for the club).

Could someone please explain to me how our business so far this summer represents investing in young players who will increase in value (as is Venkys rumoured business plan).

Guthrie is 28 and on a 2 year deal.

Barrow is on an emergency loan.

Delfouneso is on a 1 year deal. As is Petschi.

If the plan is to sign young players with potential to develop at a big profit for the club then how do we do that with players on one or two year deals? By the time they start performing for us they will be free to discuss terms with other teams.

I'm not a fan of loans unless they are to fill short term gaps. I think relying on loan players is a very risky strategy which sees players using the club to showcase themselves with no financial return for the club.

Still don't understand this. I though it was just about new players - ie. if you hit 24 players you cannot sign anyone new from another club.

Surely it doesn't mean you are not allowed to promote existing youth/reserve players if you hit that limit? That would be bizarre in the extreme...

My understanding is we could fill up our remaining "first team slots" and still be able to play O'Sullivan, Lenihan, Nyambe, Tomlinson etc as much as we want, even if it means we have 28 "first team" players by the FFP rules. The issue is when January comes round if we are still in FFP we would have to let five players go before we signed anyone.

ps. Thinking about it this may be why O'Sullivan didn't make the squad on Saturday. Keeping him out of the team till we have everyone signed up we want so we are not limited in the transfer market.

Apart from Sir Roger.

Including Sir Roger..... and by some distance. No room for misty eyed nostalgia in football Simon. Jones was a fine keeper in the 2nd and 3rd Div but couldn't cut it at top level.... never mind starring in the World Cup!

Including Sir Roger..... and by some distance. No room for misty eyed nostalgia in football Simon. Jones was a fine keeper in the 2nd and 3rd Div but couldn't cut it at top level.... never mind starring in the World Cup!

You'd be lucky if Roger Jones was in the top 5 Rovers goalkeepers since I started watching (1969).

That isn't a criticism of him, rather a reflection on some of the top class keepers we've been lucky enough to have on our books.

Just been reading the Reading forum- they cant wait to be shot of Akpan: fat, off the pace, cackpan, balls bouncing off him, easily the worst player in the squad and laughably sh1te.... are just some of the comments about him in Preseason. Gutted as really feel we need an enforcer.

Just had a look myself - blimey. Usually you'll get one or two in defence of a player but literally every single one of them wants shot of him and think he's absolutely useless. Worrying.

I think once the squad is full, you can operate on a 1 in, 1 out basis.

That's pretty concerning.

The LT also reckons Reading are willing to pay the remainder of his contract in order to get rid. Not a good sign if they are willing to pay him off just to get rid.

Weren't Reading relegated the season after us? Maybe they are planning ahead and getting their losses looking higher now - possibly just aiming for just 6months under an embargo (if they can then show they are within the losses at the next accounts/FFP assessments)?

All guesswork though.

Just had a look myself - blimey. Usually you'll get one or two in defence of a player but literally every single one of them wants shot of him and thinks he's absolutely useless. Worrying.

Im also suprised that theres so many on here that think he will be a very good signing as i also was looking through a lot of reading fan comments and the mass consesus was that he worked hard but had little ability and couldnt put a real tackle in, sounds like lowes brother from another mother to me. I didn't see one comment Praising him or saying he will be missed, just seems like a waste of a squad space and financial resources to me(but of cocourse id be delighted to be proved wrong)

Some friendly agent finding a home for another clubs unwanted crap onto our books ? Wouldn't be the first time would it, no doubt someone will flag up the 'but Rudy hadn't done anything before...' line soon lol

Even Lowe and Willo get more defence on here than the Reading fans are giving this guy :wacko:

Barrow signing, is a concern in terms of the time he will be here. He will be until November, so if he does well, and we are on a good run just before Christmas, then I'm afraid this move will not make sense. If he leaves, then that leaves us having to wait until January to either try and bring him back, or find somebody else. A 6 month loan would have been better.

Archived