BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

Just spoken to a Crawley Town fan (yes, they do exist) where Akpan spent some time before joining Reading.

Not good news - Akpan was regarded as a good player but ponderous both mentally and physically. And he's hot headed - gets booked alot.

To sum up, he's a decent League 1 player but not Championship level. Not Hopeless but not offering much Hope in other words.

In view of the midfield players already at the club, it does seem a pointless signing.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Akpan even get a game or will he simply be behind Guthrie, and the previously established triumvirate of Lowe, Evans and Williamson in the pecking order?

Very odd to me, makes giving Williamson a new contract and signing Petshi seem completely pointless.

It would also seem to indicate that none of the youngsters will have an earthly of getting any game time.

"Blackburn Rovers Academy - the place to be" (as long as you don't harbour any aspirations of ever turning out for the first team)

Has Bowyer got a Championship 2015/16 sticker album or something? Nearly got all Cardiffs now going for the Reading page.

Just spoken to a Crawley Town fan (yes, they do exist) where Akpan spent some time before joining Reading.

Not good news - Akpan was regarded as a good player but ponderous both mentally and physically. And he's hot headed - gets booked alot.

To sum up, he's a decent League 1 player but not Championship level. Not Hopeless but not offering much Hope in other words.

In view of the midfield players already at the club, it does seem a pointless signing.

Should anyone have expected anything different after what is this now his thirty fifth signing.

just had a horrible thought .... wasn't it last year Bowyer said he wanted Lowe to get in the box more often and score more ?? maybe he's grand plan is to play all 3 Akpan Guthrie AND Lowe in a 4-5-1 with Jase the Ace given licence to support Rhodes and Conway & Marshall out wide

just had a horrible thought .... wasn't it last year Bowyer said he wanted Lowe to get in the box more often and score more ?? maybe he's grand plan is to play all 3 Akpan Guthrie AND Lowe in a 4-5-1 with Jase the Ace given licence to support Rhodes and Conway & Marshall out wide

It's not that horrible a thought. If he is going to play (and he will play as Venkys begat Bowyer and Bowyer begat Lowe and it was ever thus) then having him play further forward might not be the worst thing.

*goes off to wash mouth out with soap and water*

Just been reading the Reading forum- they cant wait to be shot of Akpan: fat, off the pace, cackpan, balls bouncing off him, easily the worst player in the squad and laughably sh1te.... are just some of the comments about him in Preseason. Gutted as really feel we need an enforcer.

And here's me thinking Brfcs Message Board was unrivalled in its negativity.

It's not that horrible a thought. If he is going to play (and he will play as Venkys begat Bowyer and Bowyer begat Lowe and it was ever thus) then having him play further forward might not be the worst thing.

Lowe as a false number 9 as opposed to a true number 2?

Holy Cow Batman............... :wacko:

• Backroom

Hasn't he only ever scored one goal for us in over a hundred performances? Granted, it was a peach of a strike... but I would rather have players with some kind of goalscoring record at the front. One of the biggest problems of the past two seasons has been our over-reliance on Rhodes and then Gestede to score because the rest of the team chip in so infrequently. Putting Lowe further forward will only make that situation worse.

Hasn't he only ever scored one goal for us in over a hundred performances? Granted, it was a peach of a strike... but I would rather have players with some kind of goalscoring record at the front. One of the biggest problems of the past two seasons has been our over-reliance on Rhodes and then Gestede to score because the rest of the team chip in so infrequently. Putting Lowe further forward will only make that situation worse.

Obviously his best position is 'left back'. I'm only saying if he must play at all.

Imagine a sideways pass along the six yard box or a backwards pass from inside the 18 yard box on the byline. At least with less of the pitch in front of him there is more chance of him contributing with an assist?

Aw, who am I kidding, Lowe Out! :P

You'd be lucky if Roger Jones was in the top 5 Rovers goalkeepers since I started watching (1969).

That isn't a criticism of him, rather a reflection on some of the top class keepers we've been lucky enough to have on our books.

Friedel , Flowers , Jones, Arnold , Bradshaw are you counting Adam Blacklaw?

Thats my top 5 ...

Seriously do we plan at all. He seems like Akpan can stick a foot in - more than all bar Williamson can do (albeit at a snail's pace) and has time to develop and has played at a decent level the last few years. All in all one I feel could develop well for us.

I do wonder why we're stockpiling defensive mids. How many is that now. Why give Williamson a new contract? Why sign that French lad? Why not get rid of Evans before now (ok that should be done regardless). Planning - we've never heard of it.

Seriously do we plan at all. He seems like Akpan can stick a foot in - more than all bar Williamson can do (albeit at a snail's pace) and has time to develop and has played at a decent level the last few years. All in all one I feel could develop well for us.

I do wonder why we're stockpiling defensive mids. How many is that now. Why give Williamson a new contract? Why sign that French lad? Why not get rid of Evans before now (ok that should be done regardless). Planning - we've never heard of it.

Gaz has a plan...relax....

When did they realise that they need to change the style? This is something that a lot of fans have been saying for some time now. How on earth Bowyer and his staff couldn't see this beggars belief.

The issue is around the theory that they will score less goals so need to tighten up. I'm not sure Gaz is tactically able to set a team up properly though.

The issue is around the theory that they will score less goals so need to tighten up. I'm not sure Gaz is tactically able to set a team up properly though.

I am absolutely certain he isn't able to set a team up mate. I said not long into his tenure that most of our opponents are better coached and set up than us. He is so predictable and easy to read that invariably he makes the opposition managers job easier.

Bowyer needs to get his head around the notion that his job isn't about preparing players for the first team. It's about applying those finishing touches which actually make a first team.

The guy has got an eye for talent and I don't believe he's a million miles away. But more than ever I think we and he would benefit from an older, more experienced ex manager alongside him. Sherwood saw it right away and brought in Wilkins. It's something we really need right now. Craig Short is a good guy and was a great professional, but failed as a manager. My worry is Gary thinks he's already got this angle covered with his father. But a father son relationship isn't the same thing. We need someone with an independent opinion with no agenda.

Edit. Sorry it's the wrong thread.

Archived