BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

I'm a bit dense about all this but if teams like Middlesbrough don't go up this time there's no way they can get away with FFP next season is there technically?

Are they banking on either going up or the rules being thrown out by then?

It increasingly looks like we will be only one of two teams ever really effected by this

I think from next season FFP is being bases over 3 seasons so you can have a go at promotion and if you fail have 2 seasons to fall back in line with FFP without being under an embargo

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhodes and Gestede not the best buddies..

How do you mean?

Certainly seems as though the Rhodes situation has impacted upon Gestede. If it is true the price has come down then perhaps that is an attempt from Venkys to accelerate Gestede's departure to try and keep Rhodes?

Using simple maths will tell us that there is no way a club the size of Middlesbrough could afford to spend such an amount of money, miss out on promotion and still comply with FUP.

Losses limited to £8 million, yet they are looking to take their summer expenditure towards £20 million, not to mention one of the biggest wage bills in the division and losses of £20 million last year. It is simply impossible. No amount of clever accounting can get round those sums.

However, there is no way a 'good bloke' like Steve Gibson will be punished or deterred from spending money on his club. A local lad who is universally popular in football and who has funded his club for 20 years - no way the Football League will attempt to stop him spending. Gibson knows there is no chance of an embargo whether they get promoted or not. Hence why he is willing to spend such an amount.

Kamy has explained this previously. Middlesborough will fall foul of the Fair Play rules in Jan 2017. They are basically gambling on either going up or the rules being relaxed by then. There is no conspiracy against us, none at all.

How do you mean?

Certainly seems as though the Rhodes situation has impacted upon Gestede. If it is true the price has come down then perhaps that is an attempt from Venkys to accelerate Gestede's departure to try and keep Rhodes?

spot on!

When Gestede arrived he wasnt better than Koita.

The strikers didnt click. Rhodes prefering Brown.

Kamy has explained this previously. Middlesborough will fall foul of the Fair Play rules in Jan 2017. They are basically gambling on either going up or the rules being relaxed by then. There is no conspiracy against us, none at all.

How do you know? There could be.

I can't help but feel hard done to when we are one of only 2 clubs under an embargo, we have undergone drastic cost cutting, have a very small squad and apparently only 1 player on a big wage.

Meanwhile rivals like Boro, Derby and QPR are allowed to throw millions of pounds around, quite clearly exceeding an £8 million loss, yet the FL allow those deals to go through as they try to buy their way up and the worst punishment they might get is potentially an embargo in 2 years' time IF they fail to go up?

I can't help but feel hard done to when we are one of only 2 clubs under an embargo, we have undergone drastic cost cutting, have a very small squad and apparently only 1 player on a big wage.

Meanwhile rivals like Boro, Derby and QPR are allowed to throw millions of pounds around, quite clearly exceeding an £8 million loss, yet the FL allow those deals to go through as they try to buy their way up and the worst punishment they might get is potentially an embargo in 2 years' time IF they fail to go up?

We had the previous two seasons to throw money around before the FFP kicked in and didnt.We knew FFP was coming and didnt go for it/plan ahead.

As stated Boro will go into FFP (providing its still in force) but in the meantime assembling a squad that they can keep together for 2-3 seasons and still be good enough to mount a serious challenge for promotion even in a transfer embargo.

Thats if they fail to go up this season..

Again a calculated risk ..something we never considered.

I wonder what the clubs thoughts are on all those young kids who have asked their parents to buy them new shirts with their heros names on after they have been sold? Will they replace the shirts? Im guessing not.

We had the previous two seasons to throw money around before the FFP kicked in and didnt.We knew FFP was coming and didnt go for it/plan ahead.

As stated Boro will go into FFP (providing its still in force) but in the meantime assembling a squad that they can keep together for 2-3 seasons and still be good enough to mount a serious challenge for promotion even in a transfer embargo.

Thats if they fail to go up this season..

Again a calculated risk ..something we never considered.

A bit unfair - we are in this mess because they did go for a calculated risk getting in Murphy, Etuhu, Best, Rhodes etc etc in a vain attempt to get back to the Premiership. Only problem was the players they bought and the manager(s) - but the ambition was there, just very misguided.

Read Kamy's explanation. It's clear and concise and makes sense.

Maybe Rhodes advisors got wind that Gestedes departure was imminent so decided to go "public" to try and force Rhodes departure before Gestede on the basis that Venkys may only allow one of our two strikers to leave?

If true Gestede now on his way to Villa ...Rhodes chances of leaving may now suddenly seem a lot bleaker..

if Rudy goes, then hopefully it will encourage the owners to stand firm on Rhodes... My preference was always to keep both. Howver, if not both then Rhodes!

Hopefully this will be the final nail in the coffin for Boro and their hopes to lure Rhodes away.

No offence to Boro intended but please p!ss off now!

Fingers crossed about Kim today then... Could do with a bit of good news for once, would certainly lift spirits a little before the season starts.

Mate was talking to Dunny the other day, apparently one of the main reasons Rhodes wants to leave is Bowyer, he's not fond apparently and also said that it's only Mrs D that wants him at the club, the two brothers don't want him. Just passing on some hear say.

Just what I heard last season from a mate of JR. Don't see eye to eye were his exact words.

• Moderation Lead

I wonder what the clubs thoughts are on all those young kids who have asked their parents to buy them new shirts with their heros names on after they have been sold? Will they replace the shirts? Im guessing not.

I saw a kid in a brand new Man United away shirt with Van Persie on the back the other day, must admit I did chuckle a bit! Serves the parents right! :rover:

A bit unfair - we are in this mess because they did go for a calculated risk getting in Murphy, Etuhu, Best, Rhodes etc etc in a vain attempt to get back to the Premiership. Only problem was the players they bought and the manager(s) - but the ambition was there, just very misguided.

Maybe a little unfair on reflection.Murphy / Etuhu may have clouded the situation on buying big but we all know that its a different class of player to get you promoted from the Championship to the one that you need to stay in the Premier League.

Rovers still had a season to have a go. Instead we had 25 ? (on the whole) mediocre players come through the door when we were crying out for a little more Championship class.

For at least 10 years Villa were a smaller Club than us. They now have a Manager that we could have appointed some time ago but had fallen foul of the Keano replacement syndrome.

NOW if Rudy goes it makes Jordan Rhodes on 40k per week seem totally illogical for a Club struggling so much. We need a clean break now and a fresh start with a team approach and the end of 'marque' signings. This is mainly down to Mrs Desai and her stubborn(non-football) streak.

SELL Jordan to Boro and get the King replacement as part of the deal(if Wilshutt will come)

Hopefully we get someone coming the other way, even if just a season long loan. I don't want Delfouneso to be Gestede's replacement. Delfouneso should be Brown's replacement i.e. 3rd choice.

Can look at it both ways re. Rhodes. On the one hand he will be 'the man' again now Gestede is going and hopefully the team would be better set up to suit him and his style rather than aerial balls all the time. If it is correct Rhodes and Gestede weren't best buddies then Rhodes might be glad Rudy has cleared off.

On the other hand Rhodes might look at this sale as yet more evidence, along with King and Cairney, of the club becoming weaker and being happy to sell players, probably at the expense of promotion, and increase his attempts to move himself.

Archived