SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

He is going to a Premier League Club with:

- a bigger fanbase

- more chance of success

- more money (including for Rudy)

- more ambition.

Who can blame him? If Rhodes goes to Boro he will also be going to a bigger club and one with more ambition.

What have we got:

- Gary flippin Bowyer

- V's

- a crap executive "leadership" (sic) team

- a fractured and fast disappearing fanbase

We are lower level Championship/League 1 team with:

- no Rudy

- no money

- no hope

Accept it, turn up, clap, clap, and clap, and enjoy.

The football cycle has turned against us and in favour of Boro. They aren't a bigger club than us though.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 million is good money for a player we bought for about 100k a couple of years ago.

Little chance of replacing his quality, but he has gone to the Prem for decent money so I don't feel as mugged as I did when Cairney left.

The football cycle has turned against us and in favour of Boro. They aren't a bigger club than us though.

Slightly bigger potential fanbase from slightly bigger town/catchment area. They are gearing up to match their potential again but of course the massive difference is they have Gibson and we have Venkys. We are gearing up to match our 70s/80s status again.

Shaw OUT

Vsss OUT

They have consistently had higher attendances than us , even during our Premiership winning season and with Gibson at the helm a lot more financial clout.

I hadn't seen tomphils reply but I also think we are cutting our coat according to our cloth and a return to the 70's and 80's is the likely outcome.

They have consistently had higher attendances than us , even during our Premiership winning season and with Gibson at the helm a lot more financial clout.

Without googling attendances I don't think they have really. As I remember their attendances were similar to ours despite having a bigger catchment area and less local competition. Boro used to cop a lot of flack for their empty red seats from the likes of TalkSh1te in much the same way we did.

Can't argue about Gibson, he seems like a good guy. Having said that didn't they get relegated on his watch largely because they didn't fancy a Christmas game at Ewood?

Something I find very strange...

Rhodes worth £12m but no premier league team wants him

Rudy worth £8m and wanted by a few premier league teams

I'm sorry but we needed to keep Rudy not Rhodes, he's the better player..

That said it is what it is and we need to make the most of what we have now...

It's fair to say the loan and free market is not what it used to be many years ago as the influx of foreign quality players and pushed other decent players down the pecking order

Are you going to give us a list of how many have left the club, JAL? Be nice to add a little bit of a balance to your argument.

Perhaps you can explain how many were loans, how many have been youngsters brought in for the future, and how many subsequently have moved either for profit or at no loss to the club other than paid wages whilst they were at the club i.e. Varney, Judge.

Just to put a bit of perspective to this - quick search on TransferMarkt... incoming players for the following clubs - last season and season before.

Bolton - 46

Sheff Wed - 39

Cardiff - 37

Boro - 36

Forest - 36

Fulham- 36

Brighton - 35

Derby - 33

Leeds - 29

And those were first time searches, not trawling through other clubs with loads less signings. The only club I found with fewer was Reading with about 22 or 23 I think.

All the Clubs listed being relatively unsuccessful then? I think someone posted a stat a while back that the Clubs that did well last season Bournemouth etc had a smaller squad of 24/5 players used. In any event the number of players being brought in isn't the problem per se (unless you believe it's being done for nefarious reasons). It's bringing that number of players in and not improving or indeed going backwards as happened to us last season.

Something I find very strange...

Rhodes worth £12m but no premier league team wants him

Rudy worth £8m and wanted by a few premier league teams

I'm sorry but we needed to keep Rudy not Rhodes, he's the better player..

That said it is what it is and we need to make the most of what we have now...

It's fair to say the loan and free market is not what it used to be many years ago as the influx of foreign quality players and pushed other decent players down the pecking order

Rhodes price is over-inflated because of his reputation and past transfer fee.

All the Clubs listed being relatively unsuccessful then? I think someone posted a stat a while back that the Clubs that did well last season Bournemouth etc had a smaller squad of 24/5 players used. In any event the number of players being brought in isn't the problem per se (unless you believe it's being done for nefarious reasons). It's bringing that number of players in and not improving or indeed going backwards as happened to us last season.

A good point well made. Burnley would also be testament to that theory.... and Brentford.

However, worth noting that our incomings aren't excessively ridiculous when compared to clubs in our league.

Without googling attendances I don't think they have really. As I remember their attendances were similar to ours despite having a bigger catchment area and less local competition. Boro used to cop a lot of flack for their empty red seats from the likes of TalkSh1te in much the same way we did.

Can't argue about Gibson, he seems like a good guy. Having said that didn't they get relegated on his watch largely because they didn't fancy a Christmas game at Ewood?

Yes Gibson was the chairman then, but I think it was Bryan Robson who was in charge and made the decision.

Boro attendances here http://s201259309.websitehome.co.uk/borostatnew/201516/attendances_009_30yhome.htm but there is probably a better site somewhere.

Perhaps not. They're certainly a more attractive proposition for a player with ambition though. Persevering with Bowyer has signalled our lack of ambition to both players already at the club and potential signings.

Yeah I remember a good few trips up to Boro during our Prem days (Roberts missing an absolute sitter late on and we had to settle for a draw if memory serves). They always had very poor attendances when I attended. I remember thinking it was one of the most miserable grounds I've ever been to. No fans, no atmosphere, in the middle of nowhere, horrid weather and a bit of a slog to get to and from, especially when a night game.

Yeah I remember a good few trips up to Boro during our Prem days (Roberts missing an absolute sitter late on and we had to settle for a draw if memory serves). They always had very poor attendances when I attended. I remember thinking it was one of the most miserable grounds I've ever been to. No fans, no atmosphere, in the middle of nowhere, horrid weather and a bit of a slog to get to and from, especially when a night game.

Wasn't that Sunderland? Boxing day / New years day - something like that? When Big Sam had just arrived

Perhaps not. They're certainly a more attractive proposition for a player with ambition though. Persevering with Bowyer has signalled our lack of ambition to both players already at the club and potential signings.

Do we know a 'name' would have done any better in the same circumstances? Would the basket case we were when Bowyer got the gig have been a suitable club for an inexperienced up and comer?

Some short memories and a lack of gratitude on here but it's all been said before. There's a specific thread to whine about Gary Bowyer on.

Do we know a 'name' would have done any better in the same circumstances? Would the basket case we were when Bowyer got the gig have been a suitable club for an inexperienced up and comer?

Some short memories and a lack of gratitude on here but it's all been said before. There's a specific thread to whine about Gary Bowyer on.

Rovers fans do have short memories, I've noticed that over the years. Particularly evident in the animosity towards Bowyer, who in all honesty hasn't done a bad job - just hasn't really developed a consistency to push us into the top 6. It's the age old debate about which managers could have come in and done better - I'm sure there's some, but working with Venkys can't be very high on anybodies wish list.

He is going to a Premier League Club with:

- a bigger fanbase

- more chance of success

- more money (including for Rudy)

- more ambition.

Who can blame him? If Rhodes goes to Boro he will also be going to a bigger club and one with more ambition.

I'm not having that Boro are a bigger club than us, but the rest of your post is spot on :tu:

The fact that Rhodes wants to go shows what a dire situation we're in.

We've had far to many posters praising Venkys on here of late, wake up, they've destroyed the club, we want them out!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Grateful for what Bowyer HAS DONE (past tense), however, last season he was instrumental in us going backwards on the football pitch and arguably wasted our best shot at promotion. As for whether someone could have done better last season? 100%. I'd say plenty of managers would have been able to achieve a 9th place finish, umpteen points off play-offs and promotion, with Rhodes and Rudy up top.

The manager, the owners, transfers. All is intertwined and thus relevant. There's a specific thread for the Championship, maybe you and I should be talking about Middlesbrough on that thread, as technically their stature is not directly related to this transfer topic. Or perhaps you could create a Boro thread, just to be safe eh Chris? Don't be so nitpicky and hypocritical in your staunch defence of Gaz.

Boro have a 'core' fanbase similar to us. However, like many other clubs have got lucky by a fluke of geography (or we are unlucky)- they have a much larger hinterland to draw from. Pretty much the only club of note between Sunderland and Leeds.

I'm not having that Boro are a bigger club than us, but the rest of your post is spot on :tu:

We've had far to many posters praising Venkys on here of late, wake up, they've destroyed the club, we want them out!

All comes down to definition of a bigger club. More money? Bigger crowds? More potential to swell crowd figures etc?

IMO Boro have all of those over us - so unless we are speaking of past successes (which face it, means @#/? all), Boro probably are a bigger club than us now.

6 million for Rudy is an absolute steal if you ask me, good luck to him he was always going to be off at some point this summer. Shame the way he went about it but it's worked for him in comparison to Rhodes who I think will be here for the first game of the season anyway. I'm sure we'll be seeing Rudy again soon with our tendency to get Villa in the cups!

Personally, Gav I want to know what - if any - alternative there is to Venky's at the moment. There was hardly a queue around the block last time we were sold and we are an infinitely worse position now than then.

Archived