BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 million plus Tomlin is the next rumour for Rhodes although one site has it at jus 14 million no Tomlin

I think that one has done the rounds. Isn't Tomlin a wide (some might say very wide) or attacking midfielder? To be fair he had a good season for the Smoggies and he played very well against City in the cup.

If Rhodes went in a part ex deal with Tomlin coming the other way, out of embargo and Le Fondre snapped up that might be considered a result.

As an aside, if there's any truth in the rumour and it doesn't come off, I wonder how it will play in the Boro dressing room. Tomlin was an important player last season and apparently was all excited on Twitter about their signings and potential signings. Now it's hinted that he has the Jurrasic Park goat role.

I think that one has done the rounds. Isn't Tomlin a wide (some might say very wide) or attacking midfielder? To be fair he had a good season for the Smoggies and he played very well against City in the cup.

If Rhodes went in a part ex deal with Tomlin coming the other way, out of embargo and Le Fondre snapped up that might be considered a result.

As an aside, if there's any truth in the rumour and it doesn't come off, I wonder how it will play in the Boro dressing room. Tomlin was an important player last season and apparently was all excited on Twitter about their signings and potential signings. Now it's hinted that he has the Jurrasic Park goat role.

I think it's the fact he tweeting well that was interesting and then other day leaving the pre season friendly before kick off

Isn't he a stroppy so n so as well? Am I imagining it, or did he not kick up a stink when Peterborough wouldn't initially sell to boro? I'm not sure how he'd react to being shipped out to us against his better judgement. It's happened before. Saw it myself when we shipped out Speedie to Southampton. He never wanted to move and it showed.

Having said all that, I can't see it being true. He was outstanding for them last season. What's the point in signing Rhodes and taking away his supply line?

Can anyone explain to me why the Football League are now seemingly bending their own rules in relation to FUP?

For months we have been told that the earliest we could get out of the embargo would be in time for January, more likely next summer, as the embargo is based on submitted accounts in either November or March.

Now the situation has seemingly suddenly changed. Having already brought in more than £10 million from player sales and have offloaded about 10 and only brought in 2 it seems the League is willing to be more flexible and even consider allowing us out of the embargo immediately were we to sell yet another of our prized assets.

That presumably means if we sell Rhodes. Because other than Marshall he is the only player we have who is being actively pursued by other club(s) and the only one who could command a fee comparable to what we got for Gestede.

It appears to me that the League are trying to 'tempt' or 'pressure' us into parting with Rhodes. By dangling the carrot of an immediate lifting of the embargo it suddenly becomes a lot more attractive to people to sell Rhodes if it enables us to spend money in the market once again.

I don't know what dark forces are at work here. But it does seem a remarkable coincidence that a matter of days after Middlesbrough attempt to sign Rhodes that the League all of a sudden decide to take a more flexible approach and offer a lifting of the embargo immediately were we to sell him. This seemingly wasn't the case earlier in the summer. Why the sudden change of heart?

If they can adjust their own rules as they go along then surely they could immediately embargo Middlesbrough in the same way they can immediately lift our embargo.

I hope we continue to fend off the Rhodes' bids. If we can't make a good case with the business done so far - £10 million sales and a reduced wage bill - then nothing will do. I think some people in positions of power will only be satisfied once the club has been forced to sell off anyone of value.

What happens then if we are re-embargoed in the near future? No more assets to sell.

JH, I've agreed with quite a bit of what you've had to say on this subject, but I feel you're getting carried away now with the idea that the powers that be are actively trying to bring us down. They are not making it up as they go, it has been said several times in the past that a club making a case that they are working hard towards compliance can be given a reprieve from the embargo. Leeds already did this I believe.

The people who have been telling us we cannot get out of the embargo until January are not the Football League, but journalists and ITKs who have mostly been speculating or simplifying.

You've been deeply unhappy - as I have myself - about how the rules have made life harder for us, just be happy that they might finally stop being such a hindrance. No point being angry if we are embargoed and also unhappy if we are not.

Tomlin always reminded me of a lesser Dunn, maybe due to a similar body shape. Very talented footballer but a Boro mate of mine mentioned hime a few days ago and says he's very inconsistent, brilliant like against City then missing in other games. Doesn't sound like he'd want to come here anyway, thinks a lot of himself.

Can anyone explain to me why the Football League are now seemingly bending their own rules in relation to FUP?

For months we have been told that the earliest we could get out of the embargo would be in time for January, more likely next summer, as the embargo is based on submitted accounts in either November or March.

Now the situation has seemingly suddenly changed. Having already brought in more than £10 million from player sales and have offloaded about 10 and only brought in 2 it seems the League is willing to be more flexible and even consider allowing us out of the embargo immediately were we to sell yet another of our prized assets.

That presumably means if we sell Rhodes. Because other than Marshall he is the only player we have who is being actively pursued by other club(s) and the only one who could command a fee comparable to what we got for Gestede.

It appears to me that the League are trying to 'tempt' or 'pressure' us into parting with Rhodes. By dangling the carrot of an immediate lifting of the embargo it suddenly becomes a lot more attractive to people to sell Rhodes if it enables us to spend money in the market once again.

I don't know what dark forces are at work here. But it does seem a remarkable coincidence that a matter of days after Middlesbrough attempt to sign Rhodes that the League all of a sudden decide to take a more flexible approach and offer a lifting of the embargo immediately were we to sell him. This seemingly wasn't the case earlier in the summer. Why the sudden change of heart?

If they can adjust their own rules as they go along then surely they could immediately embargo Middlesbrough in the same way they can immediately lift our embargo.

I hope we continue to fend off the Rhodes' bids. If we can't make a good case with the business done so far - £10 million sales and a reduced wage bill - then nothing will do. I think some people in positions of power will only be satisfied once the club has been forced to sell off anyone of value.

What happens then if we are re-embargoed in the near future? No more assets to sell.

I'm with you here, because reading that they could lift the embargo immediately had me thinking a) why? Who does it benefit?

B) why now? Who does it benefit?

C)do we have it in writing witnessed by independent lawyers that we definitely will have the embargo lifted and that we will not be subject to another one in the next 6 weeks if we spend any money?

D) who does it benefit?

It seems to me that someone somewhere is yet again pulling strings and playing god with the future of our club and I'm not sure how much it benefits us if we run the risk of, having sold all our best players, being shoved back under an embargo. I don't think it's a deliberate conspiracy,but I do think we need to be careful how we proceed

• Backroom

Tomlin always reminded me of a lesser Dunn, maybe due to a similar body shape. Very talented footballer but a Boro mate of mine mentioned hime a few days ago and says he's very inconsistent, brilliant like against City then missing in other games. Doesn't sound like he'd want to come here anyway, thinks a lot of himself.

A stocky Marshall, in other words :P

Not sure if it was mentioned Paul wheelock was on talk sport this evening. Mentioned how selling Rhodes would take us out of embargo immediately. He doesn't think we'll sell Rhodes to Middlesbrough and how it may be best for us to sell him so we can cut our losses and start again.

Not sure if it was mentioned Paul wheelock was on talk sport this evening. Mentioned how selling Rhodes would take us out of embargo immediately. He doesn't think we'll sell Rhodes to Middlesbrough and how it may be best for us to sell him so we can cut our losses and start again.

Nobody wants to see a goal scorer of Rhodes' calibre leave but Wheelock is talking sense in my opinion. However, we should not be strengthening Championship clubs.

If he goes to he Premier League then good luck to him.

Think it may be a case of the league set our management a target figure to reach in sales or reduction in wages and we have almost met it. With the QPR case still pending everything regarding FFP is still in the air. Who knows maybe in a few months when that is settled we may have a strong case for compensation.

Wheelock seems very vocal and in favour all of a sudden on the issue of selling Rhodes after previously not having a view on the issue. Wonder whose agenda he is working to?.

Can you imagine if Rhodes was sold and it turned out that that did not in fact bring us out of FFP?

Wheelock seems very vocal and in favour all of a sudden on the issue of selling Rhodes after previously not having a view on the issue. Wonder whose agenda he is working to?.

Can you imagine if Rhodes was sold and it turned out that that did not in fact bring us out of FFP?

Wheelock and indeed the LT is simply a mouthpiece for the Ewood board. If he's saying Rhodes should be sold it's because that's what they want.

Great idea though, sell Rhodes, make big bucks for several agents and a few at Ewood and then sign some has-been, or no mark, or get to pay a loan fee to a PL youngster who will provide us with nothing when he goes back to his parent club. But that ship has probably sailed. There is no danger of us challenging for promotion so maybe we should just get it over with.

What difference does it make, if we sell Rhodes and get out of the embargo. Why would we go on a shopping spree, after we just came out of an embargo because of out of control debts.

We have to ask ourselves this, is it more beneficial to keep Rhodes a little longer, or take the money and get out of FFP.

The money from Rhodes won't be re invested, but losing a proven goalscorer will be detrimental to our push for playoffs . if we sell him, then we might as well accept mediocrity right now

Iceman - debts aren't an issue to ffp merely losses. Selling Rhodes would mean we can buy players (like cairney, Marshall,gestede etc) instead of relying on freebies. The chances of improving the team and making a profit on such players is better than with freebies and the wages will be lower meaning more chance of staying within ffp.

Will we replace Rhodes with an 8 million pound striker - of course not but we could use 1-2 million to improve our midfield, defence and bring in the next rudy...

Let's hope we get a £4m bid for big Grant :) maybe that would be enough to lift the embargo and allow us to keep Rhodes.

After all Grant is our captain and a full international. I just feel that we have a better Cb in Killa.

Iceman - debts aren't an issue to ffp merely losses. Selling Rhodes would mean we can buy players (like cairney, Marshall,gestede etc) instead of relying on freebies. The chances of improving the team and making a profit on such players is better than with freebies and the wages will be lower meaning more chance of staying within ffp.

Will we replace Rhodes with an 8 million pound striker - of course not but we could use 1-2 million to improve our midfield, defence and bring in the next rudy...

Think you will find, that debts and losses go hand in hand. When you make losses, you will eventually cause debt issues, either through borrowing money which is not your own, or spending beyond your means. Everytime we make a loss, and dont generate sufficient income to offset that loss, we go into the red.

If we sold Rhodes, we will only satisfy FFP in the short term, but in the long term we will be back to square one.

Archived