BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is simple he was too good to pay off.Either steeley or easty should have gone.And I'm a wum what's that someone who goes the games

If anything it just goes to show yet again how football stinks. We can't give him away even on loan because of his 10k wages and people unwilling to stump up a decent contribution. We give him 300k to leave and all of a sudden there's a contract on the table for him at Norwich City. I don't blame the lad but this industry is putrid, makes me sick.

Illogical Tim. We've had him for 3 seasons and not even a sniff at promotion.

Do you honestly think our lack of promotion comes down to Rhodes?

And as I've pointed out to Den, promotion sides have been built on less than what we spent on Best & Etuhu alone. Yes, we probably overpaid for Rhodes' services, but as a one-off marquee signing he has kept to his end of the bargain. It's the centre midfield that has been a problem position for several years now, as well as a reluctance to hire a proven manager, that has kept us slumped in this league.

They're thick, no doubt about that, but they're not that thick, they'll know the deal that was agreed because they'll probably sign off on it.

Gav - contracts are signed-off by an organisation's Exec Management and not its shareholders !

I think the Berg episode underlined all this.

Again I disagree Den, not because what you say is right or wrong, but unless Bowyer drops Hanley, we will struggle alot in defense.

I disagree with strikers having to defend as well, its not their job to do that. It's the defense and midfield that have to sort that out amongst themselves, because if you have a striker tracking back to defend, then who is putting the ball in the back of the net?

Again, our defensive failures have been with us for a while now, even before Bowyer and Kean was in charge. Fact is, if we concede goals, without a decent striker, we will struggle on both ends. So why give up a quality striker for a short term gain?

I don't mean strikers should be dropping back into the back four Iceman, I mean the best way of defending is keeping possession of the ball - anywhere on the pitch. It's so obvious.

Do you honestly think our lack of promotion comes down to Rhodes?

And as I've pointed out to Den, promotion sides have been built on less than what we spent on Best & Etuhu alone. Yes, we probably overpaid for Rhodes' services, but as a one-off marquee signing he has kept to his end of the bargain. It's the centre midfield that has been a problem position for several years now, as well as a reluctance to hire a proven manager, that has kept us slumped in this league.

You've answered your own point there. 8m and 40kpw could spent wisely have seen us solve the centre mid problem well enough. Rem we did only pay 200k for Rudy. Also we let Dave Jones and Allan Judge leave on frees ..... How much are we up to so far?

Gav - contracts are signed-off by an organisation's Exec Management and not its shareholders !

I think the Berg episode underlined all this.

Under normal circumstances yes, but they have no staff in Blackburn, everyone's been sacked.

Not sure there's a story here pal.

No, I simply want to expose you as the attention seeking charlatan that you are.

Still no answer then? Surprise, surprise.

Well surprise, surprise.

Luck back over my posts over the last 10 days and I think you will find that I have answered BOTH points you raised.

If you don't like what I post then put me on ignore. Suspect though that you are seeking some enlightenment to your clearly impoverished quality of life.

Under normal circumstances yes, but they have no staff in Blackburn, everyone's been sacked.

Not sure there's a story here pal.

Not saying there is Gav.

My only points, as others have flagged, is that the only fee reported anywhere (including the Birmingham press) is the up front £6m. I find that very strange.

You've answered your own point there. 8m and 40kpw could spent wisely have seen us solve the centre mid problem well enough. Rem we did only pay 200k for Rudy. Also we let Dave Jones and Allan Judge leave on frees ..... How much are we up to so far?

And B'mouth bought their promotion side with less than what we paid for Best, Etuhu & the Portugeezers.

Well surprise, surprise.

Luck back over my posts over the last 10 days and I think you will find that I have answered BOTH points you raised.

If you don't like what I post then put me on ignore. Suspect though that you are seeking some enlightenment to your clearly impoverished quality of life.

Sorry for the delay, I've just got out of the pool.

I waited so long for your answer that I must have missed it. I'm sure it bares repeating though.

To clarify.

I have not seen the document, but someone I trust implicitly in Pune has (as this decision had to have approval from Pune) and I am prepared to take what he says on face value due to the trust I have for this source and he has never been wrong with his information before so that is good enough for me.

Whatever people think about Venky's they are not in the habit of selling players below their valuations, I think the current Rhodes episode has proved that. They had an £8 million valuation of Rudy, they wanted the entire amount upfront but then accepted £5 million up front, £1 million in January and the rest in instalments.

Can this message board not get back to being full of info for far away fans.Chris h lives in oz and I'm sure he comes on this board to hear rovers news.Question one of the 20 frequent posters all hell breaks loose.Because he supports the club he is ridiculed in my case ill be at ewood upteen times in the season and of you want to call me a wum.I'll be at the bar in the mill hill pub.

Sorry for the delay, I've just got out of the pool.

I waited so long for your answer that I must have missed it. I'm sure it bares repeating though.

Cesspool no doubt.

I find it quite funny that some who are critical of Rhodes for being slow and not big/strong and think it's like 'playing with ten men' with him on the field would be perfectly happy with us signing another goalscorer in his place in Le Fondre, who also isn't quick nor big/strong.

Although it makes a pleasant change from those deluded enough to think that replacing our 20+ goal a season striker with Brown/Delfouneso would strengthen the team because they're bigger/quicker...

Cesspool no doubt.

It's not the best, a 1970s concrete job, but it will have to do. Anyway, I'm sure you won't mind reminding the board just once more about your u21 story. I must have missed it and I'm very interested.

To clarify.

I have not seen the document, but someone I trust implicitly in Pune has (as this decision had to have approval from Pune) and I am prepared to take what he says on face value due to the trust I have for this source and he has never been wrong with his information before so that is good enough for me.

Whatever people think about Venky's they are not in the habit of selling players below their valuations, I think the current Rhodes episode has proved that. They had an £8 million valuation of Rudy, they wanted the entire amount upfront but then accepted £5 million up front, £1 million in January and the rest in instalments.

Did we insert a sell-on clause Kamy?

Alan Judge wasn't let go on a free, we got a fee. I think it was about 500k if I remember. Still, criminally poor judgement to retain the dross we have in the middle and yet get shut of those two. I remember being completely unable to puzzle out why we weren't signing Jones. It was especially exasperating that he then helped the Dingles to a victory over us and promotion.

One thing you've never answered me on (and neither has den for that matter). Both of you I very much respect as posters and often agree with, however there is one fundamental flaw in your argument about the £8m and £40k pw spent on Rhodes.

Of course the money COULD have been spent better but I want you to think to the TIME that the money was spent. Late in the transfer window, Kean at the helm, JA behind the scenes, a shedload of @#/? players brought in for big money. On what planet do you think that money would have been invested any better? Glen has always stated that was a one-off Balaji buy, but I want to put that to the side for a second also.

IF Rhodes had not been signed, what would have happened? Realistically... Not in a land where rational people could invest the money, but what would have happened to that £8mill with Kean/JA etc in charge? Look at the calibre of the defenders/midfielders/strikers brought in for big money during that era. All of them were pants. Rhodes was arguably the ONE good signing from that reign of terror. Had Rhodes not been signed, where would we have found those 27 goals? Would Kean have pulled them out his arse or would Berg/Appleton?

I think you truly fail to appreciate how much of a mess we were at the time and how many millions had been wasted on woeful players. If Rhodes hadn't signed, there is no data to suggest that money would have been invested any better, in fact it all points to the opposite. We had a VERY bloated squad, so arguably there was no further room for this host of supposed defensive/midfield signings that would have strengthened us. That £8mill could easily have been wasted on another Best and another Etuhu or Formica and where would we have ended up? Or let's say we had kept the same squad and not signed Rhodes. Where would we be? Probably relegated by the time the January window came about.

That season, Rhodes scored 27 goals IN SPITE of the team being woeful. Not because we brought out the best in him. Nope, simply because he saved us with goals from nothing in an expensive yet heavily flawed team. And was it not for him, we would likely be in League One right now. I agree with you the money COULD have been spent better, but you're in La La Land if you think it would have been spent better by Kean and his cronies.

Wheelock seems very vocal and in favour all of a sudden on the issue of selling Rhodes after previously not having a view on the issue. Wonder whose agenda he is working to?.

Can you imagine if Rhodes was sold and it turned out that that did not in fact bring us out of FFP?

Every chance that that would happen.

But if it did bring us out of teh embargo, if we then bought a replacement for him, would that not put us straight back in again?

Archived