BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

Can this message board not get back to being full of info for far away fans.Chris h lives in oz and I'm sure he comes on this board to hear rovers news.Question one of the 20 frequent posters all hell breaks loose.Because he supports the club he is ridiculed in my case ill be at ewood upteen times in the season and of you want to call me a wum.I'll be at the bar in the mill hill pub.

You mean the same Chris who comes on, makes snide remarks at any comment that doesn't suit his agenda, yet fails to offer a balanced argument himself? Chris comes here looking for petty slanging matches, as do quite a few others. I almost had a bit of debate with him yesterday or the day before, but when I then offered my reasoned argument I got no reply. Either, he cba actually discussing things civilly and would much rather enjoy squabbling, or he knows when he's gazumped in a debate and picks and chooses when to reply.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean the same Chris who comes on, makes snide remarks at any comment that doesn't suit his agenda, yet fails to offer a balanced argument himself? Chris comes here looking for petty slanging matches, as do quite a few others. I almost had a bit of debate with him yesterday or the day before, but when I then offered my reasoned argument I got no reply. Either, he cba actually discussing things civilly and would much rather enjoy squabbling, or he knows when he's gazumped in a debate and picks and chooses when to reply.

Even Mrs Thatcher had to sleep sometimes and I'm on the opposite side of the World to you. Point me in the direction of your unanswered post and I'll try to provide the reply you crave.

Rhodes was arguably the ONE good signing from that reign of terror. Had Rhodes not been signed, where would we have found those 27 goals? Would Kean have pulled them out his arse or would Berg/Appleton?

Don't you know? If we hadn't signed Rhodes, we would have conceded 27 less goals, so it wouldn't have mattered. He's why we concede, not our crap defence or the way we invite pressure constantly by playing two DMs.

Sell Rhodes for £14m, sign ALF on a free and Dwight Gayle for £6m.

Now Rhodes has said he wants to go, I find it difficult to get fully behind him in a Rovers shirt.

You have to wait until January to provide accounts before a judgement can be made on whether we come out of the embargo.

We could sell every single player and still wouldn't be able to spend a bean until January.

One thing you've never answered me on (and neither has den for that matter). Both of you I very much respect as posters and often agree with, however there is one fundamental flaw in your argument about the £8m and £40k pw spent on Rhodes.

Of course the money COULD have been spent better but I want you to think to the TIME that the money was spent. Late in the transfer window, Kean at the helm, JA behind the scenes, a shedload of @#/? players brought in for big money. On what planet do you think that money would have been invested any better? Glen has always stated that was a one-off Balaji buy, but I want to put that to the side for a second also.

IF Rhodes had not been signed, what would have happened? Realistically... Not in a land where rational people could invest the money, but what would have happened to that £8mill with Kean/JA etc in charge? Look at the calibre of the defenders/midfielders/strikers brought in for big money during that era. All of them were pants. Rhodes was arguably the ONE good signing from that reign of terror. Had Rhodes not been signed, where would we have found those 27 goals? Would Kean have pulled them out his arse or would Berg/Appleton?

I think you truly fail to appreciate how much of a mess we were at the time and how many millions had been wasted on woeful players. If Rhodes hadn't signed, there is no data to suggest that money would have been invested any better, in fact it all points to the opposite. We had a VERY bloated squad, so arguably there was no further room for this host of supposed defensive/midfield signings that would have strengthened us. That £8mill could easily have been wasted on another Best and another Etuhu or Formica and where would we have ended up? Or let's say we had kept the same squad and not signed Rhodes. Where would we be? Probably relegated by the time the January window came about.

That season, Rhodes scored 27 goals IN SPITE of the team being woeful. Not because we brought out the best in him. Nope, simply because he saved us with goals from nothing in an expensive yet heavily flawed team. And was it not for him, we would likely be in League One right now. I agree with you the money COULD have been spent better, but you're in La La Land if you think it would have been spent better by Kean and his cronies.

That's the same as JBizzle arguing that we must keep Bowyer because we would get someone worse. That's no argument at all in my book.

That's the same as JBizzle arguing that we must keep Bowyer because we would get someone worse. That's no argument at all in my book.

Well that most certainly wasn't a counter argument. You can do better Den.

One thing you've never answered me on (and neither has den for that matter). Both of you I very much respect as posters and often agree with, however there is one fundamental flaw in your argument about the £8m and £40k pw spent on Rhodes.

Of course the money COULD have been spent better but I want you to think to the TIME that the money was spent. Late in the transfer window, Kean at the helm, JA behind the scenes, a shedload of @#/? players brought in for big money. On what planet do you think that money would have been invested any better? Glen has always stated that was a one-off Balaji buy, but I want to put that to the side for a second also.

IF Rhodes had not been signed, what would have happened? Realistically... Not in a land where rational people could invest the money, but what would have happened to that £8mill with Kean/JA etc in charge? Look at the calibre of the defenders/midfielders/strikers brought in for big money during that era. All of them were pants. Rhodes was arguably the ONE good signing from that reign of terror. Had Rhodes not been signed, where would we have found those 27 goals? Would Kean have pulled them out his arse or would Berg/Appleton?

I think you truly fail to appreciate how much of a mess we were at the time and how many millions had been wasted on woeful players. If Rhodes hadn't signed, there is no data to suggest that money would have been invested any better, in fact it all points to the opposite. We had a VERY bloated squad, so arguably there was no further room for this host of supposed defensive/midfield signings that would have strengthened us. That £8mill could easily have been wasted on another Best and another Etuhu or Formica and where would we have ended up? Or let's say we had kept the same squad and not signed Rhodes. Where would we be? Probably relegated by the time the January window came about.

That season, Rhodes scored 27 goals IN SPITE of the team being woeful. Not because we brought out the best in him. Nope, simply because he saved us with goals from nothing in an expensive yet heavily flawed team. And was it not for him, we would likely be in League One right now. I agree with you the money COULD have been spent better, but you're in La La Land if you think it would have been spent better by Kean and his cronies.

Excellent post - a new perspective that is hard to argue with. (But they both will ^_^)

Well that most certainly wasn't a counter argument. You can do better Den.

My argument has been out there for a long time.

£8m + wages totalling around what - 5mill? Total waste of money. It got us nowhere - and don't give me the "he saved us from relegation all on his own" nonsense. None of us would spend that kind of money on one player again, certainly not in this league.

Even Mrs Thatcher had to sleep sometimes and I'm on the opposite side of the World to you. Point me in the direction of your unanswered post and I'll try to provide the reply you crave.

Haha I'd have to have a look. It was a debate about GB, probably on the GB thread, you said something about short memories, I said I appreciated what GB had done (past tense) but that he's held us back the last year or two, bla bla bla. Quite a few times you haven't replied, now that I think about it. Let me know when you've found my replies and fulfilled my cravings.

Haha I'd have to have a look. It was a debate about GB, probably on the GB thread, you said something about short memories, I said I appreciated what GB had done (past tense) but that he's held us back the last year or two, bla bla bla. Quite a few times you haven't replied, now that I think about it. Let me know when you've found my replies and fulfilled my cravings.

Is it ok if I give the search function a miss? I'm going to bed in a bit.

It's not the best, a 1970s concrete job, but it will have to do. Anyway, I'm sure you won't mind reminding the board just once more about your u21 story. I must have missed it and I'm very interested.

Well that's tough - just jog on.

They won't. Despite numerous people already liking it, apparently it's not even an argument. :blink:

Maybe they don't know who to reply to. Are Mustard and Blue Bruce one and the same? Can we all have a 2nd name? I'll be Thanks Jack if so.

The Rhodes deal / money spent was always clouded in mystery. Balaji liked him? (Not sure I'd be happy to be on that ninconpoops radar). Suffice to say that Rhodes should have been a finishing touch to the squad. 8 million - 12 million - 14 million? That's a lot of bunce for a Championship striker. If Boro do get their man, let's hope he fires them to mid-table safety as well.

£8m + wages totalling around what - 5mill? Total waste of money. It got us nowhere - and don't give me the "he saved us from relegation all on his own" nonsense. None of us would spend that kind of money on one player again, certainly not in this league.

Not sure how it's the same argument as JBizzle at all den... I'm not talking about the debate over getting rid of Rhodes now. I'm not disputing the fact the money could have been spent better, I am arguing that the money spent on Rhodes was the only money spent remotely well under Kean and cronies and that had he not signed, the money would no doubt have been spent (wasted) on similar dross as the Best's and Etuhu's before him. The fact he's the only investment from that era where we'll get the money back says it all.

Maybe it was a waste of money, but nonsense he saved us from relegation? I'd argue not.

I think my suggestion that we would have been unable to find those 27 goals elsewhere under Kean/Berg/Appleton to save us from relegation, £8mill or no, is far more plausible than your suggestion that Kean/JA would have spent the £8mill any better, taking into account all that went on.

Is it ok if I give the search function a miss? I'm going to bed in a bit.

I don't even know how to use it myself (never tried) so by all means.

Thankfully all that will be recovered if the sale goes through at the figures quoted. In theory of course because in practice god knows where a lot of the money will fly. The main reason though is because he's done his job and scored goals.

You have to wait until January to provide accounts before a judgement can be made on whether we come out of the embargo.

We could sell every single player and still wouldn't be able to spend a bean until January.

Not according to the LT article from yesterday. If we sell a player for a similar amount to Rudy (£6m+) then we immediately exit the embargo.

Maybe they don't know who to reply to. Are Mustard and Blue Bruce one and the same? Can we all have a 2nd name? I'll be Thanks Jack if so.

The Rhodes deal / money spent was always clouded in mystery. Balaji liked him? (Not sure I'd be happy to be on that ninconpoops radar). Suffice to say that Rhodes should have been a finishing touch to the squad. 8 million - 12 million - 14 million? That's a lot of bunce for a Championship striker. If Boro do get their man, let's hope he fires them to mid-table safety as well.

Haha no alias here.

A lot of bunce on one player indeed. We spent a-plenty on loads of @#/? players though so I'd argue Rhodes was a relative success, considering all his goals.

Not sure how it's the same argument as JBizzle at all den... I'm not talking about the debate over getting rid of Rhodes now. I'm not disputing the fact the money could have been spent better, I am arguing that the money spent on Rhodes was the only money spent remotely well under Kean and cronies and that had he not signed, the money would no doubt have been spent (wasted) on similar dross as the Best's and Etuhu's before him. The fact he's the only investment from that era where we'll get the money back says it all.

Maybe it was a waste of money, but nonsense he saved us from relegation? I'd argue not.

I think my suggestion that we would have been unable to find those 27 goals elsewhere under Kean/Berg/Appleton to save us from relegation, £8mill or no, is far more plausible than your suggestion that Kean/JA would have spent the £8mill any better, taking into account all that went on.

I don't even know how to use it myself (never tried) so by all means.

Mustardy Blue Brucey.

Rhodes wasn't the only money spent well. Your forgetting Yakubu. As I said at the time pay him what he wants to stay. No need at all to go near Rhodes in that case. Similar salary - 8 million saving. Just as many goals.

Archived