BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

My argument has been out there for a long time.

£8m + wages totalling around what - 5mill? Total waste of money. It got us nowhere - and don't give me the "he saved us from relegation all on his own" nonsense. None of us would spend that kind of money on one player again, certainly not in this league.

None of that answers any of the points he made, even a little bit.Calling it a waste of money is a little strange when we stand set to get all of the money back, probably even recouping most of the wages, and have had 73 goals out of it in three seasons. Having Rhodes has never put us in the embargo either, and now might be a way for us to get out of it and trade freely. The only possible argument is that it could have been spent better, but Mustard has rightly pointed out it was never going to be under the team at the time, and you have simply ignored that.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gayle chose Fulham over Northern based clubs Boro & Rovers !!

Players choice .. Like with ALF .. You win some you lose some .....

Interesting, Unleaded. If Rovers are now sizing up ALF and the likes of Gayle then my guess is that a deal for Rhodes may have been agreed.

The fees involved in even loaning those players would make the signings unachievable under FFP.

Looks like they're lining up cash and loan replacements when the embargo is lifted, post Rhodes to me.

Ok, it's just that you were away for a while and I presumed you were looking for a reminder of what you made up.

It's summer you imbecile and some folk like to try and get away for a break or two or three.

No more replies to you. IMV, you are simply a d I c k head and not worth it.

Not according to the LT article from yesterday. If we sell a player for a similar amount to Rudy (£6m+) then we immediately exit the embargo.

Almost as if they make the rules up as they go along isn't it? One min we need to get the money in before a certain date to get the embargo cleared for January, then once it's after that date we won't get it lifted til next summer, now it's decided another £6mill and they'll get us out the embargo right away... It's farcical!

No doubt some of those people in control of FFP will want a cut to help facilitate lifting the embargo...

Maybe they don't know who to reply to. Are Mustard and Blue Bruce one and the same? Can we all have a 2nd name? I'll be Thanks Jack if so.

If you're being even semi-serious, that really is pathetic. I agree with a poster and suddenly I'm him? Shall I accuse you of being Al because you have the same avatar? Has genuinely thrown me a few times after all

6 days and counting. Guthrie has been on trial for a week and played in two games. The general consensus is he is an improvement in midfield. Let's hope we don't spend 5 days waiting for the Indian thumbs up (or down) and let someone else sneak in and sign him.

Can't argue with mustards point but feel that the current regime could use some of the money wisely. Don't see Rhodes has having been a waste of money but he is incompatible with our current finances. 3 years, plenty of goals and break even on the deal is amazing compared to every other signing from that period...

Almost as if they make the rules up as they go along isn't it? One min we need to get the money in before a certain date to get the embargo cleared for January, then once it's after that date we won't get it lifted til next summer, now it's decided another £6mill and they'll get us out the embargo right away... It's farcical!

No doubt some of those people in control of FFP will want a cut to help facilitate lifting the embargo...

Or, as I've pointed out before, it has always been the case that you can argue for early reprieve from the embargo if you can make the case that you are on track to meet the requirements.

1864 is right on this one Iceman. Its alright saying it's easier to sort out the defence, but the fact is it hasn't been easy to sort out the defence. There's a lot of posters who won't agree with this - but the strikers contribute a lot to not conceding goals, through getting hold of the ball, keeping moves going and denying the other side any kind of momentum. If we can't keep possession, we'll concede goals all the time. Not true? It's what's been happening for quite a while now.

We have to start from the defensive side of things, we have to have a solid foundation. For that, EVERYONE in the team has to contribute.

Personally I think our main problem defensively is the midfield. All the criticisms you've levelled at the strikers count double for the midfield - and they don't contribute the goals either so add little to the team.

I would guess that the wording in the rules is not crystal clear. If "looking like meeting criteria" is enough then it is also likely that deals can be made with an execution date in january. ie we get the guy for free on a wage of 10k but have a non negotiable agreement to Pay x in january and bump his wages...

There's something not quite rigth with it all.

I wonder if FFP will die a quiet death and get forgotten about.

I can see the attraction of the idea, but it would be difficult enough for competent governing bodies to implement, let alone the circus that is the football authorities in this country.

It's there presumably to stop football clubs going to the wall. On the basis of prevention being better than cure, it would've been a better idea if Venky's buying Rovers had been nipped at the bud, before £100m got spunked on parasites and clowns.

Again I disagree Den, not because what you say is right or wrong, but unless Bowyer drops Hanley, we will struggle alot in defense.

I disagree with strikers having to defend as well, its not their job to do that. It's the defense and midfield that have to sort that out amongst themselves, because if you have a striker tracking back to defend, then who is putting the ball in the back of the net?

Again, our defensive failures have been with us for a while now, even before Bowyer and Kean was in charge. Fact is, if we concede goals, without a decent striker, we will struggle on both ends. So why give up a quality striker for a short term gain?

It's not about strikers defending icers. It's about ball retention and easing pressure on the back four. The same applies to the midfield too. It's everyone's job to keep the ball better. Nobody is asking Rhodes to sprint back, put it a tackle, win the ball and then sprint back up front. But he should run the channels better. He should hold the ball up better and he should, even if he can't win the ball, make it harder for the opposition to play it out of their back line. Most of that isn't about technical skill, it's about desire.

All that said, I like the bloke and having lost Rudy, I don't think we can afford to lose his goals. Heaven knows we don't have his killer instinct in the rest of the strikers combined. But I can appreciate why people notice his need to improve other areas of his game.

As an aside, I'm not sure I see much point in taking Le Fondre if we're intent on keeping Rhodes. Too similar. Partnerships across the pitch need to compliment each other. Not mirror each other. Imo it's why the Hanley / Duffy partnership has never worked. We only need one neanderthal to run through brick walls. The other needs to have the brains and wherewithal. In other words play Kilgallon with one of them please.

If you're being even semi-serious, that really is pathetic. I agree with a poster and suddenly I'm him? Shall I accuse you of being Al because you have the same avatar? Has genuinely thrown me a few times after all

Apologies my mistake. In following the thread I thought names had changed on the posts - bit like 'I must be batty, - TJ for example. Wasn't having a pop. Both yours and Mustard posts have been interesting to follow.

Yes it does Manni .......GB list is getting longer & Longer by the looks of it and he has put word out that He wants quickly nippy round the corners players ....

Been working on ALF since early last week .....

ALF & Robinson must be next as Gayle has made his choise now ....

That's the same as JBizzle arguing that we must keep Bowyer because we would get someone worse. That's no argument at all in my book.

1. Why not say why you disagree with mustard as opposed to just saying you disagree.

2. I've not argued that "we must keep bowyer", I've pointed out that he doesn't deserve as much stick as he gets, he's done a decent job and if he's replaced it will be most likely another rookie.

Big difference Den, I thought I could feel my ears warning up.

Yes it does Manni .......GB list is getting longer & Longer by the looks of it and he has put word out that He wants quickly nippy round the corners players ....

So you and Mani reckon Rhodes will go then? Is the Daily Star and Daily Mail correct about their stories that Boro coming in with new bid for Rhodes.

Is ALF a perm move or a loan move?

Any other names you can mention?

Online chatter that we've accepted a bid in the region of 14mill for rhodes. Been mentioned in the Boro forums as well.

Must be right then. :rolleyes:

Hang on... have you considered that they may have their very own mercerman? ^_^

So you and Mani reckon Rhodes will go then? Is the Daily Star and Daily Mail correct about their stories that Boro coming in with new bid for Rhodes.

Are you missing nicko chaddy?

Very interesting. Cheers pal, keep it coming. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

I don't know Chaddy. But common sense says if they're lining this type of player up then they must believe they are about to become achievable. Ergo, they must believe that embargo is about to be lifted..

The staff rated Rudy higher than Rhodes...so it is possible.

In fairness to Den, and a few others, they make good points about Rhodes, and the same points apply to Rudy.

Their movement outside the box was frankly embarrassing (especially Rudy), until they got in and around the box they were practically static. The only 'out' ball when we were under pressure was a hoof to Rudy and then a flick on that Rhodes hardly ever reached. Countless times last season strikers would turn up at Ewood and run Rovers defence ragged simply because they would run the channels and in turn take the pressure off their own defence. That Stevie May from Sheff W and Clayton Donaldson from Brum spring to mind, neither are world beaters but they work their nads off and can make the ball stick. So does Brentford's striker who's name escapes me.

Their hold-up play was also very poor,especially Rudy (Rhodes improved last season so they'd obviously been working on him in training) The ball just kept coming back. This obviously has a big impact on the way the team performs and means we don't get up the pitch, we lose the ball when we're deep and the pressure builds again.

Another point to consider is that teams come to Ewood and press us as we don't have pace up front. They push right on top of our midfield (who are poor anyway) and try to stop the ball out to the wings. The result is the hoof again, we lose the ball and the pressure build again.

Rudy and Rhodes are excellent in the box and we will/would undoubtedly miss their goals, but their defiences and lack of movement create a lot of problems for the rest of the team.

Bottom line though is Rhodes doesn't want to be here. Getting £12m and be able to sign players again (like ALF) for small fees/loan seems a good compromise.

Who's Robinson? Apologies if i've missed it mentioned elsewhere.

Archived