BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny Russell would be a good shout, think derby want rid. He's been played on the right of a front 3 in his time there mostly but his natural position is upfront, quick player and runs his socks off. Think he'd be a good singing

Johnny Russell would be a good shout, think derby want rid. He's been played on the right of a front 3 in his time there mostly but his natural position is upfront, quick player and runs his socks off. Think he'd be a good singing

Didn't they quote like 3-4 million for him?

Joking? Class player at this level, bet they'd regret letting him go. Good shout.

Didn't they quote like 3-4 million for him?

2.5 million was the price Cardiff were apparently told to pay if they wanted him, derby have brought in a couple and still want to add one so I think he's deemed surplus there now, would be a class signing.

Joking? Class player at this level, bet they'd regret letting him go. Good shout.

They've brought in Bent Weimann and ince on permanent transfers and are apparently after another striker, Cardiff were quoted 2.5 million for him earlier this summer. He would be a great signing, done very well in pre season apparently and a lot of derby fans seem to want to keep him but I think 3 million would get him.

If we sold Rhodes tomorrow.

I'd snap up Russell, ALF and Stuart Dallas at Brentford.

That front line has goals, creativity about it.

Imagine:

Guthery Lowey Marshy

Russelly Alfy Stewey D

Russell at 2.4 million which Derby want and Dallas for a million what Leeds have had accepted. ALF on loan.

• Backroom

If we're looking at players with fees attached then there must be some belief that Rhodes is being sold and the embargo will be lifted once he is. Obviously the one wrench in that plan is Venky's, who we all know could nix the whole thing regardless of Shaw and Bowyer's intentions.

I don't know Chaddy. But common sense says if they're lining this type of player up then they must believe they are about to become achievable. Ergo, they must believe that embargo is about to be lifted..

The staff rated Rudy higher than Rhodes...so it is possible.

From my understanding it will be a loan deal and be made permanent once rovers have their embargo lifted for a fee of around £1.2 million

Do you honestly think our lack of promotion comes down to Rhodes?

And as I've pointed out to Den, promotion sides have been built on less than what we spent on Best & Etuhu alone. Yes, we probably overpaid for Rhodes' services, but as a one-off marquee signing he has kept to his end of the bargain. It's the centre midfield that has been a problem position for several years now, as well as a reluctance to hire a proven manager, that has kept us slumped in this league.

Exactly. I mentioned Andy Crawford the other day. He made Rhodes look like the most complete all round player in the world, and contributed 18 goals off his shin backside and any other part of his body usually from within 12 yards out when Howard Kendall was here yet we still managed to keep things reasonably tight at the other end and get promoted.

We haven't had a sniff of promotion whilst Rhodes has been here but without him we'd have been even further away!

You could probably pick holes throughout the team but the main reasons we've failed are:

a) The manager hasn't proved up to the task and

b ) (Tied in with (a) ) - The manager has never got the central midfield right which has been absolutely abysmal

The only possible argument is that it could have been spent better, but Mustard has rightly pointed out it was never going to be under the team at the time, and you have simply ignored that.

Could have been spent better? If you were the chairman of a financially troubled club - which desperately needed to get out of this division (and we did. That's why Singh recommended we paid that much money for him) and the manager approached you wanting that amount of money, you would want to know why, wouldn't you, you would want to know what the return on that money would be wouldn't you? If he told you that it would guarantee you a mid table finish, you would tell him to go check his head. That money was spent to get us promoted. It failed.

I can understand football fans getting excited when a player scores goals regularly, but move back from that and there's a business to be run. For that huge outlay there has to be a return. There wasn't one.

Mustard can't convince me that venkys were prepared to spend that money on anyone as long as his name was Jordan Rhodes. I await his evidence, but either way, none of us would pay that money out again on one player, in this league - would we? No, we wouldn't, which backs up my (and others) argument.

You know guys, you all agree that it was too much money, that it should have been used better, but because he's a striker who scores goals, you can't find it in you to say so. If we'd have spent that money on a player who doesn't excite, but with the same effect on results, you would slate that deal.

Exactly. I mentioned Andy Crawford the other day. He made Rhodes look like the most complete all round player in the world, and contributed 18 goals off his shin backside and any other part of his body usually from within 12 yards out when Howard Kendall was here yet we still managed to keep things reasonably tight at the other end and get promoted.

We haven't had a sniff of promotion whilst Rhodes has been here but without him we'd have been even further away!

You could probably pick holes throughout the team but the main reasons we've failed are:

a) The manager hasn't proved up to the task and

b ) (Tied in with (a) ) - The manager has never got the central midfield right which has been absolutely abysmal

Andy Crawford. What a tart. Knew his role however.

As theno keeps pointing out, letting Jones leave was a very strange decision indeed. Contributed well to Burnley going up and could at least keep and use the ball well (with one foot). PL experience, grafter. Has to be viewed now as an error.

Well that's tough - just jog on.

You've got a nerve calling out chris, ALL you do is post material designed to wind people up about Rhodes leaving every single transfer window, players being allowed to leave on the cheap in a firesale, us missing crucial financial targets which is a sure sign the owners will be leaving instantly etc etc, none of which ever comes to fruition.

How's your latest doomsday prediction about the owners bailing out imminently coming along? Did you remember to thank them for updating the turnstile operating system just before they left?

You've got a nerve calling out chris, ALL you do is post material designed to wind people up about Rhodes leaving every single transfer window, players being allowed to leave on the cheap in a firesale, us missing crucial financial targets which is a sure sign the owners will be leaving instantly etc etc, none of which ever comes to fruition.

How's your latest doomsday prediction about the owners bailing out imminently coming along? Did you remember to thank them for updating the turnstile operating system just before they left?

How's the team looking rev is everything in place for this Saturdays game and the start of a new season.

Rev the turnstyle thing is technology and an awful lot of clubs already used this tried and tested method of entry

How's the team looking rev is everything in place for this Saturdays game and the start of a new season.

Playing trialists 7 days from the big kick off isnt ideal I remember Gazza saying he wanted everything in place early in the summer

No.

A week to go and we're still trying triallists out in various positions, and I don't think the manager has a clue what his best starting X1 is.

Absolutely no change there then from the last two seasons some might say. Others might say it's all Jordan Rhodes' fault for scoring c 25 goals a season but not keeping them out at the other end as well.

:huh:

Rev the turnstyle thing is technology and an awful lot of clubs already used this tried and tested method of entry

???? As do we. Strange the owners are paying to update it prior to bailing out imminently though. (According to Merce)

Could have been spent better? If you were the chairman of a financially troubled club - which desperately needed to get out of this division (and we did. That's why Singh recommended we paid that much money for him) and the manager approached you wanting that amount of money, you would want to know why, wouldn't you, you would want to know what the return on that money would be wouldn't you? If he told you that it would guarantee you a mid table finish, you would tell him to go check his head. That money was spent to get us promoted. It failed.

I can understand football fans getting excited when a player scores goals regularly, but move back from that and there's a business to be run. For that huge outlay there has to be a return. There wasn't one.

Mustard can't convince me that venkys were prepared to spend that money on anyone as long as his name was Jordan Rhodes. I await his evidence, but either way, none of us would pay that money out again on one player, in this league - would we? No, we wouldn't, which backs up my (and others) argument.

You know guys, you all agree that it was too much money, that it should have been used better, but because he's a striker who scores goals, you can't find it in you to say so. If we'd have spent that money on a player who doesn't excite, but with the same effect on results, you would slate that deal.

You're completely missing my argument. I'm not disputing the money COULD (or even should) have been spent better (this is the case for many of the transfers from that era), but that if that £8mill was invested differently (or not at all) by the sheisters running the club at the time, the end result would NOT have been any better, like you're suggesting, but would have in fact been a lot worse.

Regardless of whether Venky's would have spent the money on anyone else or not, the fact is we'd brought in plenty of poor players for inflated fees under Kean et al, I am not convinced that if they had used the Rhodes money differently, it would have resulted in equal, never mind better results. That is my dispute. In fact, the track record of the individuals in charge at the time indicates that Rhodes was more of a lucky anomaly, as he wasn't anywhere near as bad as the majority of signings at the time. Kean and cronies with an extra £8mill to spend and you honestly believe that we WOULD have signed better than Rhodes?

If we'd pocketed the £8mill and not signed Rhodes or anyone at the time we'd have been left with a @#/? team without any goals in it and would likely have been down by Jan.

If Kean and the rest of them had been left to spend the £8mill on anyone else they wanted except Jordan Rhodes, I have no doubt in my mind it would have been wasted on some more Best's and Etuhu's.

Your last line doesn't really have much relevance. I'm not stating Rhodes was an amazing signing, I'm not saying the money couldn't have been spent better, but rather the money WOULDN'T have been spent better if those conmen got another shot at it. You fail to acknowledge the elephant in the room that was Kean and co and the shedload of money they'd already wasted on expensive signings to form a bloated, rubbish squad. I'm surprised you actually think that if Rhodes wouldn't have signed, that Kean could/would have recruited better, despite his previous. Take away Rhodes and use that £8mill to add another Best, Etuhu, Formica and a few more Portugeezers and you've got a relegation squad there.

I also think you're blaming a lot of the squad's current deficiencies on Rhodes and should be directing more energy to the midfield's and defence's frailties.

From my understanding it will be a loan deal and be made permanent once rovers have their embargo lifted for a fee of around £1.2 million

Thanks for sharing this info. I think Adam Le Fondre would be good signing at this level. is your info from a good source

I think Bowyer has learnt from last season and change formation to a 4-2-3-1 formation and according to Mani we are going play abit Boro's do

A week to go and we're still trying triallists out in various positions, and I don't think the manager has a clue what his best starting X1 is.

I expected Guthrie to sign and maybe Delfy to aswell.

as for the starting 11, I think we seen the starting 11 for next week against Wolves yesterday apart from 1 position. one of the winger is still open. Bowyer is looking to play a 4-2-3-1 formation this season

so the team I'm expecting is Raya in goal, back 4 of Henley, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson, holding midfielders of Lowe and Guthrie with 3 attacking midfielders of Conway, Marshall(in the hole) and an other with Rhodes up front.

You're completely missing my argument. I'm not disputing the money COULD (or even should) have been spent better (this is the case for many of the transfers from that era), but that if that £8mill was invested differently (or not at all) by the sheisters running the club at the time, the end result would NOT have been any better, like you're suggesting, but would have in fact been a lot worse.

Regardless of whether Venky's would have spent the money on anyone else or not, the fact is we'd brought in plenty of poor players for inflated fees under Kean et al, I am not convinced that if they had used the Rhodes money differently, it would have resulted in equal, never mind better results. That is my dispute. In fact, the track record of the individuals in charge at the time indicates that Rhodes was more of a lucky anomaly, as he wasn't anywhere near as bad as the majority of signings at the time. Kean and cronies with an extra £8mill to spend and you honestly believe that we WOULD have signed better than Rhodes?

If we'd pocketed the £8mill and not signed Rhodes or anyone at the time we'd have been left with a @#/? team without any goals in it and would likely have been down by Jan.

If Kean and the rest of them had been left to spend the £8mill on anyone else they wanted except Jordan Rhodes, I have no doubt in my mind it would have been wasted on some more Best's and Etuhu's.

Your last line doesn't really have much relevance. I'm not stating Rhodes was an amazing signing, I'm not saying the money couldn't have been spent better, but rather the money WOULDN'T have been spent better if those conmen got another shot at it. You fail to acknowledge the elephant in the room that was Kean and co and the shedload of money they'd already wasted on expensive signings to form a bloated, rubbish squad. I'm surprised you actually think that if Rhodes wouldn't have signed, that Kean could/would have recruited better, despite his previous. Take away Rhodes and use that £8mill to add another Best, Etuhu, Formica and a few more Portugeezers and you've got a relegation squad there.

I also think you're blaming a lot of the squad's current deficiencies on Rhodes and should be directing more energy to the midfield's and defence's frailties.

Do you know Mustard, I've answered every one of those points you've made, probably more than a dozen times.

It's alright for you, you're new to this Rhodes debate , but I'm weary. 😀

Tell you what, if I get 20 likes on this post, I promise never to mention his name again :)

Thanks for sharing this info. I think Adam Le Fondre would be good signing at this level. is your info from a good source

I think Bowyer has learnt from last season and change formation to a 4-2-3-1 formation and according to Mani we are going play abit Boro's do

I expected Guthrie to sign and maybe Delfy to aswell.

as for the starting 11, I think we seen the starting 11 for next week against Wolves yesterday apart from 1 position. one of the winger is still open. Bowyer is looking to play a 4-2-3-1 formation this season

so the team I'm expecting is Raya in goal, back 4 of Henley, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson, holding midfielders of Lowe and Guthrie with 3 attacking midfielders of Conway, Marshall(in the hole) and an other with Rhodes up front.

I think you're quite optimistic if you think Bowyer will learn any lessons with regards to setting up a capable defensive unit. I am expecting the same frailties next season.

Do you know Mustard, I've answered every one of those points you've made, probably more than a dozen times.

It's alright for you, you're new to this Rhodes debate , but I'm weary.

Tell you what, if I get 20 likes on this post, I promise never to mention his name again:)

Perhaps you answered them, but not to me. Regardless, let's agree to disagree.

Archived