BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

Seems to me that we have become quite strong in the goalkeeping department with some tinkering around, dipping into the transfer market, youth development and spending relatively little money.

Its all relative, you could say we didn't need 4 goalies last season and bringing in Steele was money we didn't have.

Regarding Raya - all goalkeepers are ultimately rated on how few errors they make, its far too early to say he's good enough or write him off. Obviously I hope he continues along the same lines he has already taken, but he's only a kid, and at times you need to protect them before they lose confidence and regress.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit I've only seen Ray a once. At the uni final at St Marys. But he looked head and shoulders above everything else on show in blue and white. I think he's not only good enough to be in and around the first team. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him claim the number one position.

It's tough for keepers because confidence can quickly dip. But imo he looks like an exceptional prospect.

I'll admit I've only seen Raya live once. At the u21 final at St Marys. But he looked head and shoulders above everything else on show in blue and white. I think he's not only good enough to be in and around the first team. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him claim the number one position.

It's tough for keepers because confidence can quickly dip. But imo he looks like an exceptional prospect.

• Backroom

My view on Raya us that he's probably our No1 now. Otherwise I think they'd have been careful not to give him the No1 shirt in pre-season.

We should tread carefully. I'd have preferred to loan him for a year to a L1 team, but I've enjoyed his performances for us. If he makes a big mistake, he must be dropped for Steele or Eastwood for a couple of weeks and reintroduced slowly. We've had this with Kean, although Raya has that 'voice of experience' already. Willing to boss his defence although Hanley rarely listens...

He looks a good keeper and prospect. I was impressed with him the first time I saw him for the U21's and I posted it on here ages ago I think. It was a bit like with Jones. Both looked like established blokes turning out for the kids. Yet it's come as surprise to those who work with him ? OK..

I was one who was enraged at the treatment of Robbo and Kean so it all seems a bit odd to me. Anyway he might not even be number 1 yet lol

Can't agree with dropping him after one big mistake Mike. I feel that they must not make him the number one if they don't think he's ready. If they do think he's ready then they stand by him.

It's a tough one though, the Kean situation springs to mind straight away.

• Backroom

Can't agree with dropping him after one big mistake Mike. I feel that they must not make him the number one if they don't think he's ready. If they do think he's ready then they stand by him.

It's a tough one though, the Kean situation springs to mind straight away.

I only say that as it worked for Joe Hart in his early career at City and when he had a few bloopers 2 years ago.

Goalkeepers more than any other position need to be protected in terms of confidence. Especially at 18 or 19.

So he's a better Championship standard keeper now than someone who's played how many games at this level, how is this exactly ?

Illogical. Talent is talent, no matter how many games they've played. Andre Gray had never played above conference level till last season but ended up Brentfords leading scorer, and one of the top scorers in the league. Chris Brown, on the other hand, has played many games at Championship level.

Is he better than the one who is already in there though, one who they went to expense for various reasons to bring in. Is it actually a change that really needs to be made, will it actually make the team stronger or put it at risk of being weaker ?

Is it illogical to say that all it's really about is rushing to give him some games so he is worth some money ? Also is it illogical then to say that Steele has infact flopped if he is being replaced already by a kid and your hero has made a rik in buying him, wasting money and helping push us towards the embargo ?

Squad value, squad value.......repeat to fade.

Raya looks to have raw talent but I'm hesitant in promoting him ahead of a keeper who has been steady at this level. Steele was struggling for confidence after his time at Boro but I think he has done well considering the poor organisation ahead of him. My worry for Raya is he will get thrown in, make a mistake and Jake Kean it.

I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement really but the error at Stanley was very poor. Do that in a league game in front of thousands of fans where a better player finishes the spot-kick and nicks the points off us. That would then rest on his shoulders and it could set him back.

• Backroom

It's a tricky one, if he's going to be number one then he should be backed fully and not dropped when he makes a mistake I think.

One thing I don't particularly like about him is he fancies himself a bit too much on the ball, seen a clip of a goal he gave away in the reserves trying to do too much. Now and again it's ok but it's asking for trouble.

Steele and Eastwood are both decent shot stoppers, both of them have a fair claim to the shirt but neither have done enough to own it outright

Wonder if many have stopped to think "perhaps we've gone through so many goal keepers because our centre halves and centre midfielders can't defend?"

Brad had his faults, poor at kicking and never came for corners but was an excellent shot stopper and leader with decent defensive minded players ahead of him. Our keepers need far better protection than what they've had for the past 2-3 seasons.

Been away on my jolly hols - have we signed anyone in the past 5 days or so ?

No, Guthrie and Maynard on trial... Guthrie looks good, maynard got injured after 30 mins but apparently looked garbage. Strong interest in Adam Le Fondre.

He looks a good keeper and prospect. I was impressed with him the first time I saw him for the U21's and I posted it on here ages ago I think. It was a bit like with Jones. Both looked like established blokes turning out for the kids. Yet it's come as surprise to those who work with him ? OK..

I was one who was enraged at the treatment of Robbo and Kean so it all seems a bit odd to me. Anyway he might not even be number 1 yet lol

You need to think about wages perhaps?

Andy Crawford. What a tart. Knew his role however.

As theno keeps pointing out, letting Jones leave was a very strange decision indeed. Contributed well to Burnley going up and could at least keep and use the ball well (with one foot). PL experience, grafter. Has to be viewed now as an error.

He wasn't our player and I seem to think at the time he didn't want to drop down a division permanenly because he thought he could cut it in the Prem. Then he did the opposite!

He's another who's contribution to us staying up gets forgotten about on other sites. Saint Gaz and Rhodes get all the credit.

Raya

Henley Killa Duffy Olsson

Marshall Guthrie Williamson Conway

Rhodes Le Fondre

If I understand correctly Le Fondre can't come in without Rhodes leaving. Plus Gaz has made clear in preseason Lowe is going to play and Hanley is to remain as captain. So I reckon it will be more like:-

------------------------Raya

Henley---Hanley©---Killa--Olsson

---------------Guthrie-----Lowe

--Conway------Marshall----O'Sullivan

---------------------Le Fondre

Or perhaps a 442 with Marshall wide with one of Koita or Delfy partnering ALF, dropping O'Sullivan to make way.

Reckon Gaz is targeting 451 as the main formation though.

We could still do with more pace in midfield.

If Cardiff release Le Fondre, we don't have to sell Rhodes. We can also agree a loan deal with an option to buy later on Joey. So for me, it doesn't make sense to sell Rhodes just yet, maybe in January if we are struggling.

If Cardiff release Le Fondre, we don't have to sell Rhodes. We can also agree a loan deal with an option to buy later on Joey. So for me, it doesn't make sense to sell Rhodes just yet, maybe in January if we are struggling.

how can you buy later as we would still be in sh oops FUP

rhodes will still have to go sometime soon

Cardiff releasing Le Fondre makes no sense? Why give up on a fee?

Loan makes financial sense. But why lend a top player to a rival? Wed be apoplectic if Gaz/Venkys did that.

Ill be massively surprised and take my hat off if we can keep Rhodes and sign ALF. To my mind it's a switcheroo.

Cardiff releasing Le Fondre makes no sense? Why give up on a fee?

Loan makes financial sense. But why lend a top player to a rival? Wed be apoplectic if Gaz/Venkys did that.

Ill be massively surprised and take my hat off if we can keep Rhodes and sign ALF. To my mind it's a switcheroo.

If Cardiff loaned him to us, he wouldn't be able to play against them. Also, we just sold Cairney to a rival, and also want to sell Rhodes to a rival. It's not ideal I know, but its happening.

Fact is, there is some issues it seems between Cardiff and ALF, because they are willing to let him go for nothing anyway

It is believe that we are looking to sign ALF on loan with view to buy him for 1.2 million next summer. Thats was mention on here yesterday.

On formation, we have played 4-2-3-1 formation all pre season so I dont see Bowyer changing that tbf as his starting fornation. I think 4-4-2 will be plan B IMO

how can you buy later as we would still be in sh oops FUP

rhodes will still have to go sometime soon

think most are missing something here. IF what Shelfy says is true about us needing to sell one more player, to get out of FFP. So just think about this realistically speaking, if that was the case, and we can somehow get in Le Fondre on a loan to buy later for a fee option, we can play around with Rhodes until January and see where we are on the league table.

We are already under an embargo right now, so we cant sign. But if we are smart, and can muster a deal with Cardiff to loan without paying a loan fee, we can be in a much more rosier position, and can assess things in January. In January, if things are not great, we can still sell Rhodes, and get the embargo lifted and sign players again, and still have Le Fondre with us.

So its either we let Rhodes go and pick up Le Fondre, and pick up cash, or we can give promotion a real go by holding onto Rhodes and dealing with Le Fondre.

Archived