BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 3

I think a few people have mentioned that getting out of the embargo has to be a consideration, I agree of sorts, but surely not at the expense of getting rid of Jordan Rhodes, the best goalscorer outside the Premiership.

Rhodes may well score 20 goals next season, that gives us a very slim chance of getting out of the division. Whilst we need bodies, are Guthrie, Le Fondre and Delfounso really the answer? are we happy to trade Rhodes out to pay fees and wages for this class of player?

I'd keep Rhodes, and take my chances with free transfers........

Venkys Out!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know as well as everyone else that Rhodes was not part of the "Transfer budget" and that an additional striker was only brought in because our marquis signing that summer (Best at 3m) got injured. There's no reason to think any of that money would have been spent had no-one been injured.

It was spent. £8m + c£5m in available wages could and should have made us a far stronger squad. As it is, we're no better off for going the way we did. 9th ain't great Rev.

#tedious

• Backroom

"So we might not actually bring any players in before the season starts but at least we gave it a right good go."

That line was concerning but hopefully just being coy

That line was concerning but hopefully just being coy

The article sounded to me like we'd been beaten to the punch on Le Fondre, therefore he downplayed any interest we ever had, and we've realised Maynard and Delfy are duds and haven't got a clue what to do next.

From the little I've seen of Rhodes live and from what I've heard Le Fondre would struggle to be slower than him.

Le Fondre is a lower leagues journeyman a decent asset but not a patch on JR

Heard ???? + seen little

Pointless posting about someone you've hardly seen and someone you've heard

Wouldn't surprise me if we sold Rhodes and still didn't come out of embargo.

We can't come out of the embargo till December according to the FFP rules for this season, so what is the point of selling him. Be best to keep Rhodes this season and hope we do well. If we sell we can't bring a decent player in till January and by that point we could be in a relegation scrap, so a quality signing would be difficult.

Le Fondre is a lower leagues journeyman a decent asset but not a patch on JR

They're all journeymen Athlete, poor players looking for 12 months contracts, trying to make a living, not the sort of players to get us anywhere near the playoffs or they'd not be speaking to the likes of us.

Selling the divisions best striker to accommodate these types of players is just suicidal in my opinion.

People are forgetting, with Rhodes and Gestede we didn't get anywhere near the playoffs, without them i dread to think where we'll be, league one bound I'd guess if the past 2 seasons are anything to go off.

Phili, it's now been stated that the league may be able to bring us out of the embargo quicker if remake another sale.

I thought that requires all teams in the league to agree to it, so I expect there is not a cat in hells chance for us to get out of it before Xmas.

The article sounded to me like we'd been beaten to the punch on Le Fondre, therefore he downplayed any interest we ever had, and we've realised Maynard and Delfy are duds and haven't got a clue what to do next.

If another club offers more than the £10,000 per week that we are allowed to pay then we aren't going to get players. Until we get out of the embargo our market is freebies or loans who don't want more than £10,000 per week and in the Championship that doesn't buy you much. Until we are out of the embargo it is simply a case of making the best of what we have.

Phili, it's now been stated that the league may be able to bring us out of the embargo quicker if remake another sale.

I think Ricky, the only "statement" I've read, is Shaw saying it will get us nearer?

We can't come out of the embargo till December according to the FFP rules for this season, so what is the point of selling him. Be best to keep Rhodes this season and hope we do well. If we sell we can't bring a decent player in till January and by that point we could be in a relegation scrap, so a quality signing would be difficult.

But it has already been stated by shelfy that we sell one more player for 4-6m We will be out of embargo.

Prior to Shaw's revelation at weekend that we were apparently "very close" to coming out of embargo I understood we'd missed the FFP deadline for January but would probably come out of embargo next summer. And then possibly only for 12 months as we lose 8m p.a. worth of parachute payments next season.

However that's as the rules currently stand. Momentum in the game generally seems to be swinging more and more against the concept of FFP in it's current form (quite rightly too imo) I'd try to hang on to any decent remaining assets we have such as Rhodes and try to ride it out.

I think a few people have mentioned that getting out of the embargo has to be a consideration, I agree of sorts, but surely not at the expense of getting rid of Jordan Rhodes, the best goalscorer outside the Premiership.

Rhodes may well score 20 goals next season, that gives us a very slim chance of getting out of the division. Whilst we need bodies, are Guthrie, Le Fondre and Delfounso really the answer? are we happy to trade Rhodes out to pay fees and wages for this class of player?

I'd keep Rhodes, and take my chances with free transfers........

Venkys Out!

I would only keep Rhodes if we couldn't spend any money to replace him.

Do you really think he is worth £14m plus his alleged £40k+ wages ?

I would only keep Rhodes if we couldn't spend any money to replace him.

Do you really think he is worth £14m plus his alleged £40k+ wages ?

His goalscoring record says yes, he'd have fired Boro to the Premiership last season with his goals tally.

We can't us the Rhodes money to bring anyone in now, although Shaw will probably say we can, he really means in 2020 and beyond :wacko:

But it has already been stated by shelfy that we sell one more player for 4-6m We will be out of embargo.

Not quite. Shaw didn't say that. From the LT.

Shaw - “We’re still under an embargo but we’re getting nearer and nearer to the point where we will be trading within the rules and we’ll come out of the embargo.”

LT - It is understood that Rovers, who are in regular contact with the Football League, would have their embargo lifted if they sold a player for a similar fee to the one they have received for Gestede.

If another club offers more than the £10,000 per week that we are allowed to pay then we aren't going to get players. Until we get out of the embargo our market is freebies or loans who don't want more than £10,000 per week and in the Championship that doesn't buy you much. Until we are out of the embargo it is simply a case of making the best of what we have.

You're stating the obvious there Parson. We know things are slightly more difficult than they were before but it's still GB's job to try and bring players in who will improve the squad. If he brings players in on trial who don't impress and we don't end up signing them and go into the season short on numbers then that's got to go down as (yet another) negative on his resume for bringing in the wrong players.

Who knows, we might yet make a couple of sensational loan signings from a Premiership Club and be applauding GB. But we can't do it until it happens.

Prior to Shaw's revelation at weekend that we were apparently "very close" to coming out of embargo I understood we'd missed the FFP deadline for January but would probably come out of embargo next summer. And then possibly only for 12 months as we lose 8m p.a. worth of parachute payments next season.

However that's as the rules currently stand. Momentum in the game generally seems to be swinging more and more against the concept of FFP in it's current form (quite rightly too imo) I'd try to hang on to any decent remaining assets we have such as Rhodes and try to ride it out.

That's my belief to, under the old ruling we'd be judged for last seasons performance in December. Then how we've started this seasons would be judged in March. Hense why Leeds got out as they sold Ross McCormack.

Something must have been agreed with the FL.

As for keeping Rhodes while it's more exiting to fans to have large movement in the transfer market both in and out. It may not be the smart choice. Keeping Rhodes is like sticking on a 16 in blackjack.

His goalscoring record says yes, he'd have fired Boro to the Premiership last season with his goals tally.

We can't us the Rhodes money to bring anyone in now, although Shaw will probably say we can, he really means in 2020 and beyond :wacko:

Impossible to say - Bamford scored 19 in all competitions - would they have played both - what impact on team pattern would that have caused etc etc.

I agree a lot depends on clarification regarding whether the embargo would be lifted - but if it can I would sell - reduce our wage bill and bring in some much needed revenue.

Impossible to say - Bamford scored 19 in all competitions - would they have played both - what impact on team pattern would that have caused etc etc.

I agree a lot depends on clarification regarding whether the embargo would be lifted - but if it can I would sell - reduce our wage bill and bring in some much needed revenue.

What do you think bringing in revenue will achieve?

I think selling Rhodes will just continue the dumbing down, we're quickly getting to the point where we have no salable assets, what then? the debt is still going to be massive, income will continue to fall as fans fall away from the club, so players at the bottom end of the championship/league one will be where our ambition sits, thats not going to cut it really.

If people aren't willing to protest, to try and at least put a bit of pressure on, then its all just going to slip away quietly until we're just another mid table championship club that once ruled supreme, and was destroyed by 3 thick foreign owners.

How sad is that? its even hard for me to write it.....

Archived