BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Qpr Away- 16Th Sept

I wonder why that is? I wonder if knowing that you are considered to be behind Spurr in Bowyer's pecking order has anything to do with it. What a confidence buster that must be.

Why was he considered to be behind Spurr? He started the season as the first choice left back and played the majority of last season winning player of the year.

This blaming Bowyer for everything is becoming tiresome.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Spurr has played very poorly in every game since he replaced Olsson, so why wasn't he left out? Clutching at straws to defend Bowyer there Speedie. Olsson offers a lot more on a consistent basis. Spurr has looked poor for a long time.

If you want a demonstration of what Olsson can do, go to 1:25 on the link below (it's the highlights). You'll see Olsson make a terrific handball stop at 1-1. Gosh, if it was the other way round Bowyer would have milked it.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/9993820/qpr-2-2-blackburn-watch-highlights-of-loftus-road-draw

I am not defending Bowyer, i am saying Ollson was very poor and i would have dropped him too. I would pick Ollson if i had the choice, but no matter how ugly it looks, Spurr's long throw is a chance for us to score. Big Sam loved a long throw and many on here love him.

Spurr is Bowyers no 1 left back that's undoubted. Olsson had a bad game v Hudds and was bounced out where as others have performed poorly for long spells but remain in the side. Spurr had a hand in the cock up for Wolves first against us and he's struggled defensively in nearly every game yet again it takes an injury for Olsson to get a sniff. If Tommy is declared fit for Sat he'll start again.

These aren't things to bash Gaz with it's what actually happens and often hinders the team. GB brings his owns stick to be beaten with at times.

• Backroom

Spurr is Bowyers no 1 left back that's undoubted. Olsson had a bad game v Hudds and was bounced out where as others have performed poorly for long spells but remain in the side. Spurr had a hand in the cock up for Wolves first against us and he's struggled defensively in nearly every game yet again it takes an injury for Olsson to get a sniff. If Tommy is declared fit for Sat he'll start again.

These aren't things to bash Gaz with it's what actually happens and often hinders the team. GB brings his owns stick to be beaten with at times.

That is something to definitely bring up in Q&A next month.

Gary, why do you consistently pick lacklustre players like Shane Duffy, Tommy Spurr and Jason Lowe in place of players such as Marcus Olsson, supporters player of the year last season?

Sacrificed for a long tosser. Who else is to blame but Bowyer.

You said Ollson will have lost confidence after starting behind Spurr, which was not true. Ollson started the season and was very poor, costing us a couple of goals, if my memory serves me correct.

Ah i see, it's Spurr's turn to get abuse is it, sorry, i am up to speed now.

I am not defending Bowyer, i am saying Ollson was very poor and i would have dropped him too. I would pick Ollson if i had the choice, but no matter how ugly it looks, Spurr's long throw is a chance for us to score. Big Sam loved a long throw and many on here love him.

Olsson's pace or Spurr's long throws to the opposition.

It's a tough one alright.

Cos it's &%%%ing true!!

Now calm down and analyse how we get forward quicker without him, keep the ball better and create more chances. It's not coincidence and it will end when he inevitably gets his place back in the team when he's fit.

Unfortunately, your blind spot seems to mirror that of GB, even the most level headed poster on here Parson Blue said 'he can't see what he adds to the team'.

I have no blind spot where Lowe is concerned - just get sick of him being the whipping boy. When things are going well - it is inspite of him (even last season when he picked up a number of MOM) - when things are going badly it is always because of him. When he isn't in the team - and we play well it is because he isn't playing - when we play poorly without him, all goes quiet.

As for your points about playing quicker, keeping the ball better, create more chances - even in the early part of the season when he was playing awful - was he the only player giving the ball away, was he the only one passing sideways - or is it more likely that some players (like Marshall, Guthrie, Evans, Rhodes etc etc) have actually upped their game ? He is one man in the team - unless he is involved in every pass - he can't be the only one giving the ball away or passing sideways or not creating chances - but for some that have a bee in their bonnet about him, is the only one they notice (or care to pick on).

It's also a chance for us to get countered as our cumbersome left back is miles out of position. We all know Big Sam loved a long throw, but what has that got to do with the price of eggs? MGP wasn't in the team solely for his throw, and as a left mid he was never caught blatantly out of position because of it.

The argument here is, Spurr is ONLY in the team because of his long throw, yet the negatives to this tactic seem to outweigh the positives and Spurr isn't good enough to justify his inclusion.

They are both pretty average full backs for me. Ollson is better going forward, but Spurr is better defensively and has a long throw.

They do both make mistakes.

You said Ollson will have lost confidence after starting behind Spurr, which was not true. Ollson started the season and was very poor, costing us a couple of goals, if my memory serves me correct.

Ah i see, it's Spurr's turn to get abuse is it, sorry, i am up to speed now.

Spurr is useless. Terrible in possession and can't defend. On the other hand how olsson got player of the season last year is beyond me. He is below average. I will admit that he is one of the most improved players I've seen but defo not POTY.

Did people really believe he was better than gestede or Conway?

I'm amazed that people are so delighted we apparently played as good as we've ever played under Bowyer and still didn't win. Yipee.

Its very early in the season DE, so playing well and not winning isn't as much of an issue as it would be in say April.

Everyone that saw the game live has said how well we played, including the chap on Sky, the 2nd half at Fulham I saw live and we played very well indeed.

We've lost 3 players that would walk into any side in the championship, replaced them with rejects, some perspective is needed, but I doubt we'll get any on here.

It's also a chance for us to get countered as our cumbersome left back is miles out of position. We all know Big Sam loved a long throw, but what has that got to do with the price of eggs? MGP wasn't in the team solely for his throw, and as a left mid he was never caught blatantly out of position because of it.

The argument here is, Spurr is ONLY in the team because of his long throw, yet the negatives to this tactic seem to outweigh the positives and Spurr isn't good enough to justify his inclusion.

I think MGP was towards the end of his career, but that's by the by. Yeah i agree the massive downside is Spurr being out of position.

It's pretty simple for me, they look at everything in so much detail nowadays. They will have stats on how many chances a long throw creates.

It is hard to sometimes not to look past the fact he is only in the team for his long throw. I don't actually mind Spurr at centre half when he has filled in.

He is not a left back that will get us promoted.

Its very early in the season DE, so playing well and not winning isn't as much of an issue as it would be in say April.

Everyone that saw the game live has said how well we played, including the chap on Sky, the 2nd half at Fulham I saw live and we played very well indeed.

We've lost 3 players that would walk into any side in the championship, replaced them with rejects, some perspective is needed, but I doubt we'll get any on here.

I agree whole heartedly. I still think this team will finish between 10th - 16th, would take that at the start of the year.

They are both pretty average full backs for me. Ollson is better going forward, but Spurr is better defensively and has a long throw.

They do both make mistakes.

I've nothing against Spurr at all he was a good signing and you can never question his commitment but when both are fit me personally would be starting Olsson. After he proved himself last season he was pretty harshly done by just a couple of games in this season. If Spurr was performing like he did the season before last then it would be a very difficult one to choose.

I've nothing against Spurr at all he was a good signing and you can never question his commitment but when both are fit me personally would be starting Olsson. After he proved himself last season he was pretty harshly done by just a couple of games in this season. If Spurr was performing like he did the season before last then it would be a very difficult one to choose.

Yeah i would agree with that. Spurr has been average since his return but the reaction to certain players just bemuses me now. Like you say he was good the season before last, nothing to say he wont get back there.

The sad thing is that Ollson winning player of the year shows how far our club has actually fallen.

Yeah i would agree with that. Spurr has been average since his return but the reaction to certain players just bemuses me now. Like you say he was good the season before last, nothing to say he wont get back there.

The sad thing is that Ollson winning player of the year shows how far our club has actually fallen.

I felt Olsson deserved his POTY award, but it was an unusual one. A left back winning it over a two big-scoring strikers. I think the reason is simply consistency. The team was largely inconsistent (as usual) and we tended to pick up points without really deserving it. Rudy would often 'do nothing but score' (a fav for some to bash Rhodes with) and Conway wasn't always great shakes. Then take the poor seasons for Marshall and Cairney, our woeful centre halves (bar Killa) and our absence of a central midfield and pretty much the only one who's left was Olsson, who had a very good season.

I still maintain we had a play-off capable squad last season and all we needed was a manager to bring out the best in them.

Yes, Angella did Spurr off the ball when the corner kick was on the way in. No heads involved and no where near where the ball was.

Rhodes goal gets better every time I see it. It would have done any CB any division - just like Gasgoine or Bergkamp used to do.

Having seen the Rhodes goal in real time and no replay what really impressed me was his strength. The way he out muscled Onuoha was mightily impressive.

I still maintain we had a play-off capable squad last season and all we needed was a manager to bring out the best in them.

I suppose your last point is directly related to those who want the manager gone now. I never felt that we were good enough to go up so am prepared to cut him some slack for the time (End of October/November).

Seen us promoted twice in my lifetime and this team was nowhere near either side. There were also a number of teams who were better than us.

I have a bit of a theory. When i was a kid you could pretty much name the 1-11 of any side in the league, you knew them inside and out. I don't think this is the same anymore and therefore people just know the name of the team and expect 'Blackburn' to beat 'Brentford' without having much knowledge of the opposition. A large proportion of fans would look at the Championship team of the year and not recognise some of the players.

I suppose your last point is directly related to those who want the manager gone now. I never felt that we were good enough to go up so am prepared to cut him some slack for the time (End of October/November).

Seen us promoted twice in my lifetime and this team was nowhere near either side. There were also a number of teams who were better than us.

I have a bit of a theory. When i was a kid you could pretty much name the 1-11 of any side in the league, you knew them inside and out. I don't think this is the same anymore and therefore people just know the name of the team and expect 'Blackburn' to beat 'Brentford' without having much knowledge of the opposition. A large proportion of fans would look at the Championship team of the year and not recognise some of the players.

This is a team with a number of internationals and players with Prem experience. Perhaps they look nowhere near other promotion-winning sides because the manager isn't bringing the best out of individuals nor the team? Just a theory.

This is a team with a number of internationals and players with Prem experience. Perhaps they look nowhere near other promotion-winning sides because the manager isn't bringing the best out of individuals nor the team? Just a theory.

Talking in terms direct comparisons with players throughout their careers. Taking the manager out of the equation.

I would say our team is full of lower Championship players with a few who have sporadically appeared in the Prem.

Not to say a new manager wouldn't improve us, but purely on the players alone i think we are short.

Getting a bit bored of the 'we lost 3 players' argument.

Cairney was shunted out to the wing, and it became more and more apparent GB didn't really fancy him (wrongly or rightly).

King barely ever played and was miles away from being in GB's plans as a regular starter.

We can't bemoan the loss of King when he was barely being picked anyway. To be honest, I don't particular think he's a huge loss. Lots of pace and an asset off the bench but nothing more.

I think Cairney could have offered more CM (but the money was probably right) and obviously I'll concede Rudy was a big loss.

However, churning out the 'we lost 3 players' argument doesn't really tell the full story and lets GB and the team off the hook to an extent.

Archived