Gary Bowyer  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer be sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the last 5yrs I've heard many Venky out chants and no Bowyer out chants.

Over to you Baz.

I heard some 'Bowyer sort it out' chants at Fulham, but no 'venkys out' chants.

Im just pointing out your logic that because there are no anti Bowyer chants, people are happy with him is wrong.

I go back to my logic that although I would be very happy for Venkys to go, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't criticise GB for abject results in the meantime.

:)

Would I be right in saying that you want him sacked, but don't chant Bowyer out Gav?

It's not the Blackburn way. The last saga put fan against fan, to widespread ridicule. It didn't feel good protesting, I felt a right tit at my age. But we needed to show some unity and I tried along with many others.

If we do go down it will be without a whimper. We can chant Venkys out lower down while Bowyer's giving it....

I'm just trying to stimulate debate Baz really, no offence intended.

Sadly even the more seasoned posters seem to have lost sight of what this board is all about with abrasive 1 liners with little foundation.

We now have an opportunity to put questions to Bowyer, Myers and Shaw which is great, but incidentally that thread is strangely devoid of the chief protagonists views? Have the most vocal anti-Bowyer/Myers and Shaw groupies gone missing?

The sites a joke, I've had enough of the monotonous day in day out routine of having to explain my stance over and over again to posters that never read more than the current page.

I'll get of the soap box now, I've had enough after 17yrs.

I'm just trying to stimulate debate Baz really, no offence intended.

Sadly even the more seasoned posters seem to have lost sight of what this board is all about with abrasive 1 liners with little foundation.

We now have an opportunity to put questions to Bowyer, Myers and Shaw which is great, but incidentally that thread is strangely devoid of the chief protagonists views? Have the most vocal anti-Bowyer/Myers and Shaw groupies gone missing?

The sites a joke, I've had enough of the monotonous day in day out routine of having to explain my stance over and over again to posters that never read more than the current page.

I'll get of the soap box now, ive had enough after 17yrs.

No offence taken Gav (and for what anyway?)

The point regarding GB, Myers and Shaw is relevant more in the way that it isn't relevant - we could go ask some serious questions, make some very valid points etc... But its like marking your own homework, its not getting to the right people. Hence my question would be, as i posted earlier, can we speak to someone who has authority. It's pretty obvious to me that no-one at Ewood appears to be accountable for anything, the MD for losses, the manager for results, the players for performances, the communications director for communication etc....

You can blame the owners yes (and primarily) but the others taking advantage are also culpable too, they are meant to be hard working top professionals earning a lot of money, its not like they are minimum wage scruffy kids.

You're actually right for once den :P

But then again I don't think he's done a bad job, he's trying his best, but is out of his league.

The bigger picture, which only a few of us seem to see, is we need rid of the owners :wacko:

A large majority want Venkys out I'd imagine Gav, but there's no way of forcing them.

In the meantime we have this issue of relegation and an inadequate manager!

I think the reluctance to chant is because he has come up from within the club and clearly cares about it. A bit similar to tony parkes. However when tony parkes had the caretaker stints they were to sort an immediate situation and then the competent management team understood that it wasn't a long term solution and appointed a manager. The current lot haven't so we are in the situation where we don't want to be in terms of calling for change but in the absence of anyone making decisions feel there is no other option. Maybe the way to do it is to create banners that acknowledge what he has done but then call for the change e.g." Thanks for stability, but time to go" or something similar. Something similar for any chants - it doesn't have to be the usual manager out chant, just needs a bit of imagination.

• Moderation Lead

I'll be honest, I'm getting a bit irritated by these new journos in the LT, Simon Smith being the latest one.

To seem to suggest the fans are unreasonable to be criticising Gary Bowyer and his tactics is just pathetic, and it's like he's been asleep for the last 3 years and he's just woken up and watched the game on Sunday, forming his opinion from the Sky pundits/commentary team's output. It's embarrassing, and insulting to the fans, given many of us watch this week in, week out and see the same failings haven't been addressed and seldom acknowledged during his tenure.

Blue Blood above nails it in a nutshell.

I've heard a few but the majority of us are blinded by having had it much worse in the past but also educated in knowing that chanting "Bowyer Out" will have sod all effect on the people (or woman) who would actually wield the axe. I also think, as much as he is a progressively poor manager, the majority respect Bowyer as a man who has tried his best.

General consensus is he is nowhere near good enough, people won't be silent forever and I've no doubt falling behind or a defeat against Charlton will see quite a few piping up at the weekend. He simply isn't up to task, can't organise a defence correctly and he needs to go. If there is the slightest sniff of an experienced man ready and willing to take over we need to snap them up before it is too late.

I agree Pedro. The sad thing is that any form of protest will be even more individuals walking away from Ewood rather than a collective demonstration of anger.

I'll be honest, I'm getting a bit irritated by these new journos in the LT, Simon Smith being the latest one.

To seem to suggest the fans are unreasonable to be criticising Gary Bowyer and his tactics is just pathetic, and it's like he's been asleep for the last 3 years and he's just woken up and watched the game on Sunday, forming his opinion from the Sky pundits/commentary team's output. It's embarrassing, and insulting to the fans, given many of us watch this week in, week out and see the same failings haven't been addressed and seldom acknowledged during his tenure.

Blue Blood above nails it in a nutshell.

Weird how when I read this article, It really made me think of you Ken!

"However, it seems every one of us thinks we could do a good job as manager. How hard can it be? You pick the best players available to you and they would never let you down."

How many times has this been said on here? Or after every single mistake the team makes in a game you and others are instantly "ffs sort it GB" as if "the man in the spectacles" is truly on the pitch. As this lad says, the manager carrys the can and the 10k a week brigade are the heroes.

I think it's healthy to see an opposite view, why does reading something of a differencing stance instantly make it "insulting to fans"? You might think this guy is ignoring 3 years of mistakes on the pitch, but I'm sure he could turn that into, you are ignoring 5+ years of problems off the pitch, and the nosedive which started the day BS left.

None of us know the quick fix, the long term options are Venkys go or sort out their @#/?... Why do we pretend that everything is so black and white? It's always either good or bad, right or wrong, agree or disagree, going up or down!

I would disagree with bits of the article but it's refreshing to read someone else's viewpoint as opposed to having the constant "sycophant vs reality" debate on here.

• Moderation Lead

Weird how when I read this article, It really made me think of you Ken!

"However, it seems every one of us thinks we could do a good job as manager. How hard can it be? You pick the best players available to you and they would never let you down."

How many times has this been said on here? Or after every single mistake the team makes in a game you and others are instantly "ffs sort it GB" as if "the man in the spectacles" is truly on the pitch. As this lad says, the manager carrys the can and the 10k a week brigade are the heroes.

I think it's healthy to see an opposite view, why does reading something of a differencing stance instantly make it "insulting to fans"? You might think this guy is ignoring 3 years of mistakes on the pitch, but I'm sure he could turn that into, you are ignoring 5+ years of problems off the pitch, and the nosedive which started the day BS left.

None of us know the quick fix, the long term options are Venkys go or sort out their @#/?... Why do we pretend that everything is so black and white? It's always either good or bad, right or wrong, agree or disagree, going up or down!

I would disagree with bits of the article but it's refreshing to read someone else's viewpoint as opposed to having the constant "sycophant vs reality" debate on here.

That's true Joe, but this goes beyond that.

To simplify, if we can see the failings, why can't GB/why aren't they addressed? At any level of football, you build from the back.

I agree the job of a football manager is very far from simple and 99.999% of fans wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Most fans do ignore the complications when dispensing their armchair advice, such ss the fact that a passing game is inherently defensively weaker than a long ball game.

That's why I rarely attempt to analyse where managers are going wrong. My knowledge of football compared to theirs is laughable. However you don't need to know why something us going wrong to know that it is. Fans can very easily judge Bowyer to be very poor at his job simply by looking at results.

Voted yes which gives me no pleasure. He keeps repeating the same mistakes. He has had time and when he had the two best forwards in the league we were a million miles from promotion. He has had more time than most get in this league.

Fresh eyes on this squad is needed. I've not seen anything in this league we should be worried about and feel a better manager would turn some draws into wins.

I think some people are losing sight of what this thread is actually about. Its not to question the owners,but to question whether the manager in place at the moment is doing a good or bad job .

Forget the owners (i know i know ..hard to ..).We could have had the best owners in the world but could still employ the wrong man for the job.It happens.

The immediate problem is whats happening on the pitch. We could be out of an embargo with cash to burn but if the guy whos in charge at 3pm isnt upto to it, it matters not one jot.

Bowyers in charge and has to live or die by what results HES producing with HIS team.I think everyone has now seen enough of Bowyer over nearly three seasons (one of the longest serving managers now in the Championship?) to form an opinion one way or the other.

"But will sacking Gary Bowyer turn three-star players into four-star players? Do any of us trust the owners to choose a suitable replacement? Perhaps we need a psychologist rather than a football manager."

Why not ask Dyche or McCarthy? They seem to manage that.

Why not think about who brought in most of these "3 star" players, most before we were under the embargo? Surely they must carry the can for that?

Or even why not think about who is in their third season, plus a caretaker stint at the end before they took up the position, yet still has little clue on team selection or tactics?

Bowyer's innocent I tell you. Nothing to do with him at all...

A good manager would make us hard to beat and defensively solid. We have enough attacking talent to cause teams problems, but what can you do when you constantly let in 2 goals a game.

The issue is plain and simple. On the pitch it is bowyers responsibility to get a result. The fact is he is failing hand over foot. Off the pitch, and no matter what your view, venkys and co are doing or just doing enough to keep us running as a business. Two separate issues.

We want bowyer out

You're actually right for once den :P

But then again I don't think he's done a bad job, he's trying his best, but is out of his league.

The bigger picture, which only a few of us seem to see, is we need rid of the owners :wacko:

It was a reply to your assertion that the poll on here wanting bowyer out isn't representative of the fans at Ewood (as though they're somehow different) Gav, because there are no Bowyer out chants.

Well I know one person who goes, wants Bowyer out but doesn't chant, - you!

Are you, me and everyone else who posts on here somehow not representative of real fans Gav? Of course we are, we ARE real fans. We're the same fans that you're talking about.

And none of this is personal by the way, but it seems like you're taking it that way.

If your area is anything like mine:

Pre match:

Numerous fans: ‘He’s taken us as far as he can, time for a change.’

During match:

A Fan: ‘Get out Bowyer’

Numerous fans: ‘Shut up yer d***. Get behind ‘em, he can’t legislate for these defensive mistakes, who else we gonna get?’

Post Match:

Numerous fans: ‘‘He’s taken us as far as he can, time for a change.’

And rinse and repeat…

If your area is anything like mine:

Pre match:

Numerous fans: ‘He’s taken us as far as he can, time for a change.’

During match:

A Fan: ‘Get out Bowyer’

Numerous fans: ‘Shut up yer d***. Get behind ‘em, he can’t legislate for these defensive mistakes, who else we gonna get?’

Post Match:

Numerous fans: ‘‘He’s taken us as far as he can, time for a change.’

And rinse and repeat…

Never understood that argument. Mistakes do happen but when they happen on a weekly basis its down to poor management.

I just think quite a large number of fans buy the "difficult circumstances" excuse.

Its complete rubbish in my opinion because I don't see what difficult circumstances Bowyer has actually had. And even if it was true, does this mean that as long as a manager is working under difficult circumstances its impossible for him to do a bad job? We got the same baloney from a lot of fans when Appleton came in, excusing him relegating Portsmouth due to difficult circumstances.

• Backroom

I just think quite a large number of fans buy the "difficult circumstances" excuse.

Its complete rubbish in my opinion because I don't see what difficult circumstances Bowyer has actually had. And even if it was true, does this mean that as long as a manager is working under difficult circumstances its impossible for him to do a bad job? We got the same baloney from a lot of fans when Appleton came in, excusing him relegating Portsmouth due to difficult circumstances.

It was the same with Steve Kean for a long time too. A lot of the excuses for Bowyer now were also seen around that time. Ultimately it's just attempts to excuse failure.

It was the same with Steve Kean for a long time too. A lot of the excuses for Bowyer now were also seen around that time. Ultimately it's just attempts to excuse failure.

It depends on your point of view. Personally, I believe he has had a difficult job which is why I'm happy to cut him more slack. Many that I travel to games with believe the same. As with all things in life there are different viewpoints and always will be there. Football is a game of opinions with regard to managers, players, tactics, substitutions etc.

Archived